Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
What to do after RC signal is lost
123Next >
32202 81 2015-9-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ikary2008
lvl.1

Venezuela

During DJI tutoring for waypoints, is seen as the standard loses connection with the rc, you can assume that there are still some errors in automatic flight.

I have not dared to fly the new flight mode smart yet

2015-9-10
Use props
superdodoz
Captain
Flight distance : 118422 ft
United States

Fun to watch and informative video. Thanks
2015-9-10
Use props
DJI-Dave
Captain

United States

quanthonytrang Posted at 2015-9-9 00:08
Back in my P2 days, many users panicked when their quad shot up into the sky without warning. The  ...

Good point. I remember those days.
2015-9-10
Use props
Phuglie
First Officer
Flight distance : 45226 ft
United Kingdom

Barney Rubbel Posted at 2015-9-7 14:56
Hi DJI-Tim. Very nice video. I agree with the 20m concern. But I don't have a P3, and think you shou ...

This is the P3 page???
2015-9-16
Use props
Gory Lori
lvl.1
Turks and Caicos Islands

Tim,
Absolutely STUNNING animation video that grabbed my attention!!
MAKE MORE!!
2016-1-17
Use props
Charliethunder
lvl.1

United States

dundee Posted at 2015-9-6 05:09
Hi Tim, very inspired you are. Please give us some more "behind the screen" info
  1) How many frame ...

I want to know the answer to number 3
2016-1-17
Use props
NAD Edutainment
New

Tanzania

hey tim, your video seems to be set to private and i cannot watch it. can  you make it public again? would be very thankful!
2016-2-26
Use props
unit1stealth
New

United States

Hey, same issue as above - video is set to private, unable to watch it.
2016-2-28
Use props
dbensonp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 968 ft
United States

I can't view the video, it says "This video is private."
2016-2-28
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

dbensonp Posted at 2016-2-29 05:06
I can't view the video, it says "This video is private."

Thanks for pointing it out! Now it's fixed!
2016-2-28
Use props
TV cauterets
lvl.3
Flight distance : 102333 ft
France

Great video . One question. In the video you press the RTH when radio signal gone. but in this case the RTH is not automatic ??? I mean when radio lost The  phantom 4 should return home when RTH is activated in the DJI go app, Rigth ??  So if you press the RTH in your radio you are aborting the automatic RTH. dont you?
So when you start flying with the RTH Activated in dji go app. If you lose the radio signal.
Wat to do?
1- Noting the Phantom 4 return home.?
2- you press the RTH in the radio.?
2016-4-3
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

TV cauterets Posted at 2016-4-4 01:07
Great video . One question. In the video you press the RTH when radio signal gone. but in this case  ...

You lost the signal? Do nothing and just wait for a while. Your drone will get back home. Just make sure that your fail-safe set to RTH
2016-4-4
Use props
evsjas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1995479 ft
United States

PIXAR will be calling you for advice.
Great for people who need visual aids. Short and to the point.
2016-4-6
Use props
TV cauterets
lvl.3
Flight distance : 102333 ft
France

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-4-5 04:54
You lost the signal? Do nothing and just wait for a while. Your drone will get back home. Just mak ...

Thanks a lot Tim.
2016-4-6
Use props
seanjkil
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4892 ft

United States

That video is fantastic.  
2016-5-14
Use props
gtokarsk
Captain
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

I do agree with another poster from the beginning of the thread, drop the 20m rule or just let the user configure the radius.. so many of us simply do not care for that function.. Actually many of us despise it!!!As fror the video, yes, it's good, and it is important to know what to do if you lose signal, as well as what not to do when you regain control... or how to do it all corectly. I do have to say I very rarely let the RTH finish, but I oten invoke it, either due to the convenience factor,  or just because I have hard time hetting my heading set right.. although I do have to say, the map view actually is a good aid to that too....
Still, a function worth knowing inside out on many levels!
2016-5-16
Use props
gtokarsk
Captain
United States

Hey DJI, have u guys ever considered building little $20 toy drones that look like DJI models? I'd buy one just for fun! Got quite a few small ones for my kids, but none look like a DJI.. a fake camera under it would be cool too.. Or perhaps just a non-flying ones, for kids to play with in their little LEGO cities and such.. Like the one used in this video ;)
2016-5-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

gtokarsk Posted at 2016-5-17 02:04
I do agree with another poster from the beginning of the thread, drop the 20m rule or just let the u ...

Another way to get home instead of using RTH when you lose orientation is to look at the map and just follow the green line home.
2016-5-16
Use props
gtokarsk
Captain
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-5-16 12:27
Another way to get home instead of using RTH when you lose orientation is to look at the map and j ...

Yes, I started using that way yesterday. works well. How dependable is this in ATTI mode? Or only in GPS mode?
2016-5-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

gtokarsk Posted at 2016-5-17 05:14
Yes, I started using that way yesterday. works well. How dependable is this in ATTI mode? Or only  ...

it's extremely dependable in ATTI mode, you just have to fly it yourself, but al least it holds altitude for you.
2016-5-16
Use props
net_box
Second Officer
United States

If the RC signal is lost, then how is the RTH command going to get to the P4? I have to assume the RTH is using some other frequency?  Please confirm.

What if that signal does not reach the bird?  Does it automatically go into RTH mode after it can not communicate with the RC for a few seconds, minutes?? Please explain.

Does it maintain it's current height when it starts coming back home?  or does it go to the RTH hover level preset?
2016-5-16
Use props
gtokarsk
Captain
United States

net_box Posted at 2016-5-16 16:17
If the RC signal is lost, then how is the RTH command going to get to the P4? I have to assume the R ...

The settings on what to do when signal is lost are set from the app and transmitted to the drone when you make the setting change. Then it is up to the drone to enter RTH mode when it realizes it cannot talk to you, for more t6han 3 sec. Then your app will find out it's in RTH mode, once it gets in range and re-establishes connection. Then you can take partial control back, in RTH mode, or you can abort RTH and control it yourself again.
Does that make sense?
That is why when I set mine to hover on signal loss sometimes, means I actually have to get closer, and it will just wait for me till that happens. Could be bad if battery is low, as it would eventually start landing.. so RTH on signal loss is the best choice, unless you have a specific reason not to do it - like flying indoors, under trees or some structure, near or under power lines.....
Setting proper RTH altitude is quite crucial too.
2016-5-16
Use props
net_box
Second Officer
United States

gtokarsk Posted at 2016-5-16 18:46
The settings on what to do when signal is lost are set from the app and transmitted to the drone w ...

It makes sense; once there is no communication with the RC, it goes into RTH mode.

I set the RTH hover height very high, to ensure it will come down safely if I am around trees.  

But I am not sure what height will it maintain when it starts RTH, as soon as it loses communication with the RC?  does it maintain it's last position height? What if there is a hill  between it and me?  Is it smart to go over it? or will it just stay there hovering waiting for my command? but since I do not have RC control, it will just die there?
2016-5-16
Use props
gtokarsk
Captain
United States

net_box Posted at 2016-5-16 18:18
It makes sense; once there is no communication with the RC, it goes into RTH mode.

I set the RTH h ...

If you action is "hover" it will just hover where it is until you regain signal and control.
If you action is "RTH" then it will return home, after going up to the altitude you defined, or if it was already higher, it will return at that altitude.
Unless you have P4, it will NOT avoid any trees or other things if the return to home altitude was NOT set up high enough, and it will crash and burn...
So it is very important to set your RTH altitude after evaluating each location and the flight plan you wish to take...
That is why reading the manual, watching tutorials, reading the manual, and playing with the sim are so important... You can for example use the simulator to find out how RTH works when you engage it at various altitudes. You can also simulate starting RTH and aborting it, or checking what level of control you have during RTH or auto-landing functions...
It's way better to be familiar with all the procedures BEFORE you need them in an unforeseen circumstance....
2016-5-16
Use props
net_box
Second Officer
United States

gtokarsk Posted at 2016-5-16 20:55
If you action is "hover" it will just hover where it is until you regain signal and control.
If y ...

I did not realize that the RTH hover altitude is the altitude it will go to, as soon as it starts RTH journey!  That will work for me.  I do have the P4, since I am around 80' trees and hills.

I thought it will just go up to that height when it reached the final RTH point.  So it sounds from your post that it will maintain that height throught the RTH flight.

2016-5-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

net_box Posted at 2016-5-17 06:17
If the RC signal is lost, then how is the RTH command going to get to the P4? I have to assume the R ...

The GPS coordinates are saved in the aircraft and if it goes into RTH it will go back home (as long as you waited until home point was set before takeoff)
Yes, it maintains its altitude on RTH if you were above the RTH altitude when signal was lost. If you were below the RTH altitude, then it will climb to the preset altitude then RTH.
From the home page, if you tap the top right icon (graduation hat) there's a bunch of tutorial videos and the full PDF manual that explains all of this.
2016-5-16
Use props
net_box
Second Officer
United States

I am still debating if it can do this:

I am about 100' above sea level and I am around many many 80' oak trees, pine trees and the highest peak in my area is about 150'; + the 80" oak trees ~ 230'

My plan was to fly the P4 about 300 high' for about 2.5 miles to a local beach to scout for fish, birds flying, etc..  I am not sure if the RC will lose the signal, as soon as it hides behind the trees.  I know I am supposed to fly it having direct sight to it.

Another path I was thinking was to fly it while I am on the beach (sea level) then fly it over a 120' hill to see fishing activity on the other side of the hill.  As soon as I lower it though, I will lose RC signal!
2016-5-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

net_box Posted at 2016-5-17 08:18

I set the RTH h ...

With the P4, if you have the collision avoidance enabled then it will see the hill and climb over it and RTH. You have to have the RTH settings set up correctly.
2016-5-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

net_box Posted at 2016-5-17 10:03
I am still debating if it can do this:

I am about 100' above sea level and I am around many many 80 ...

If you are flying at 300ft high and you are at ground level you will not make it even close to 2.5 miles without losing signal. If you are at the clearing and rise to 300ft then head forward and the P4 goes out of sight due to the trees are soon as you go forward a few hundred feet you are not going to make it far at all.
To get long distance, you need a clear line of sight.
2016-5-16
Use props
net_box
Second Officer
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-5-16 22:03
With the P4, if you have the collision avoidance enabled then it will see the hill and climb over i ...

So if we fly on P mode, then it will avoid hills, etc in RTH mode, but it will fly back slower.  Is it better to switch it to Sports mode once RC signal is back, to bring it back faster to avoid losing it due to battery drain, or is the additional power consumption in sports mode will result in shorter return distance?

Another probably silly question: Does it make a difference as far as speed, power consumption, stability, if we turn it facing us when we want to return it home? or it's the same if it comes "back in reverse"?
2016-5-16
Use props
gtokarsk
Captain
United States

Ha! did not realize u got p4! So you DO HAVE AVOIDANCE!!! Nice! The p3, always turns around to home point and flies forward. Not sure about p4. Maybe you should test somewhere close? Of course you will not lose the signal, but you could manually initiate RTH and see what it does. Also.. can you not get on that hill? That would do 2 things - 1. Your take of point will be high, so RTH may be safer, 2. it will allow transmission to be better from above....
But let's see what DJI-Ken says.
2016-5-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

net_box Posted at 2016-5-17 10:48
So if we fly on P mode, then it will avoid hills, etc in RTH mode, but it will fly back slower.  I ...

Go into a very large park and do some testing to get your answers. You should never fly far away that it would even get your battery low enough to worry about making it back.
2016-5-16
Use props
net_box
Second Officer
United States

I am curious to find out the theoretical answers though, from development, not using empirical data:

- Is Sport Mode going to get the bird home safer, if we are running low in battery juice, or does sport mode drain out more battery juice so we should bring it back in GPS mode, which makes it fly at about half the speed. MY guess is that since GPS is off during sports mode, then the power consumption should be about the same, so it is the better way to fly it back, if the battery is low.

- I understand the P4 has avoidance in the front only, but I wonder, does the craft fly the same way (speed and battery consumption), if flown backwards or should we turn it and fly it towards home.
2016-5-17
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Captain
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Why is all this P4 discussion in the P3 forum?  There's a lot of room for confusion for people.
2016-5-22
Use props
T_A_Rogers
lvl.3
Flight distance : 68537 ft
United States

Tim - Is there a current version of this video online? This is my first time to attempt to watch, and it appears that the YouTube link here isn't an active one. Thanks!
2016-10-20
Use props
iSilentP
Flight distance : 425384 ft
United States

T_A_Rogers Posted at 2016-10-20 11:46
Tim - Is there a current version of this video online? This is my first time to attempt to watch, an ...

For me as well. Says "Video does not exist".
2016-11-15
Use props
wysiwyg
lvl.1

Malaysia

Video does not exist.
2016-11-22
Use props
" LOKI "
lvl.1
Flight distance : 406978 ft
United States

I

Flight Raptor Posted at 2015-9-3 22:51
One thing to remember is you CAN stop it from landing when it start to descend...even if your battery is critically low.

Directly from the manual:

Great Video thanx. On the issue of RTH OVERIDE:
Yes originally the prospect of not ultimately having control at landing terrified me so I was against use of the whole RTH system. That is until I actually used it once or twice and realized I could override once it got close enough.
Everyone keeps saying they lose complete control when it's engaged and I don't find that to be true. So far....usually.....sort of....kind of...
Generally speaking, and because they ARE UNRELIABLE, I STILL believe that engaging in the use of "AUTO Pilot" modes should be a LAST RESORT, NOT S.O.P. . You the Pilot should always have the ability to assume ultimate control and safely land or avoid an obstacle etc. This is PARTICULARLY true for LANDING's . I think I let RTH land my P4 once but never since. It spent too long bouncing up and down deciding what it was going to do for my liking. Other than that, I also found it disconcerting at the end of my last flight. When I came in to land the drone entered some warning mode and wouldn't let me stay on the ground and shut down. Possibly it didn't like the snow around and it was cold. It bounced several times before eventually staying down rather hard even though I was holding the left stick firmly down the whole time. It then finally revved once like it was going to take off again and shut down. WTF. I dunno. All I know is that I have been shutting down ALL visual sensors when I suspect I am going to be near water or reflective surfaces on the ground or otherwise. Funny thing is I had restored all my sensors to normal before that last flight and thats when the problems began. Just be careful and remember your eyes and senses are better than the Drones.

2016-12-16
Use props
BeamMeUpScotty
lvl.3
Flight distance : 20446 ft
United States

The video died and is no longer available.
2016-12-23
Use props
fans2a188a86
lvl.3
Flight distance : 481677 ft
  • >>>
India

When I click to play this video (what to do when RC signal is lost) I get error:"This video does not exist" ??
2017-1-4
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules