Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Guide: OVERVIEW OF THE NEW P3 GROUND STATION FUNCTIONS
12345Next >
81764 182 2015-9-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sploodge
lvl.4
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

OVERVIEW OF THE NEW "GROUND STATION" FUNCTIONS

This is a brief overview of how to use the new Ground Station features introduced in the latest Firmware/App combination. Some things might not be as it is here by the time you read this, but should not be a big issue to follow it.. Also, I used the simulator to show the settings as it’s not practical to take so many screenshots in the air (the Phantom needs to be airborne to use the Ground Station features).

The guide was created using the IOS version of the App on an iPad. Different screen sizes will make the app look a little different.

First things first (before the next First things first)….
You MUST update the Phantom 3’s firmware to version 1.4.0010 Pro-Adv - 1.1.0030 Standard and use DJI GO App version 2.2.0 IOS/2.1.0 Android before you can use these functions. See this thread on how to update the firmware - http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=29857

First things first…
Like I said above, you MUST be in the air with the Phantom before you can initiate the Ground Station function. Mapping of Waypoints is NOT currently possible OFFLINE ( although saved Waypoint missions can be re-run at a later flight ).

So with that said,  start the motors and get it up in the air.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

With the P3 in the air you can now initiate the Ground Station function by flicking the Flight Mode Switch to “F”
PAF.jpg

NOTE: If "Multiple Flight Mode" is not enabled, it will prompt for it to be enabled.
IMG_0199.jpg
IMG_0198.jpg

When the switch is moved to “F” the “Intelligent Navigation” menu appears and as well as a new icon to the left of the safe To Fly banner.
4.jpg

Course Lock.
COURSELOCK.jpg
Easily fly along a set path by putting your platform into Course Lock, which sets all flight controls to directions relative to its current heading.

To enable Course Lock function, select "Course Lock" from the “Intelligent Navigation” menu.
4.jpg

Once selected, you will be given a brief overview of how to use it what it does.
5.jpg

Click “Apply” and it will enable Course Lock. You can hide the menu by clicking “Hide” (bring it back my pressing the icon next to the left of “Safe to Fly”).
To exit Course Lock, just click “Exit” and confirm this. The Phantom will hover in location once course lock is exited and you will be presented with the “Intelligent Navigation” menu again.

6.jpg
8.jpg

Note: After clicking “Apply” to any Ground Station function, you are presented with a reminder of the current RTH altitude set for the Phantom and a comment stating you should apply a suitable RTH altitude for the planned mission.
RTH-Warning.jpg

In course lock, the recorded nose direction of the Phantom will always be the direction it travels when you push the right stick forwards no matter if you YAW or pitch LEFT and RIGHT.

Home Lock.
HOMELOCK.jpg
Customize your flight controls to be relative to you at all times. Flick a switch, and forward/backward and left/right flight will be set in relation to the Home Point.

To enable Home Lock, select the option from the “Intelligent Navigation” menu named “Home Lock”.
4.jpg

Once selected, you will be given a brief overview of how to use it what it does.
11.jpg

Click “Apply” and it will enable Home Lock. You can hide the menu by clicking “Hide” (bring it back my pressing the icon to the left of “Safe to Fly”).
To exit Home Lock, just click “Exit” and confirm this. The Phantom will hover in location once course lock is exited and you will be presented with the “Intelligent Navigation” menu again.

14.jpg
16.jpg

Note: After clicking “Apply” to any Ground Station function, you are presented with a reminder of the current RTH altitude set for the Phantom and a comment stating you should apply a suitable RTH altitude for the planned mission.

In Home Lock, when you pull the pitch stick down, the Phantom will always head towards the recorded home point no matter of its nose orientation. You can still pitch LEFT and RIGHT but this will only cause the Phantom to either arc clockwise/anticlockwise towards or away from the home point depending on if you are pulling the stick down or pushing it forwards.

Point of Interest.
POI.jpg
Tell your Phantom 3 or Inspire 1 to automatically revolve around a designated object, person, or place in a perfect circle. Automatic and customizable, get shots that only experts could before.

To enable Point of Interest function, select "Point of Interest" from the “Intelligent Navigation” menu.
4.jpg

Once selected, you will be asked to fly the Phantom directly above the POI you wish to capture. It will also show you the current altitude above the POI. When you are above the subject, click “Record the POI” button. Its a good idea to hover over the intended POI to determing the point it will record. Enable the grid option on the camera to have a better understanding of where the center is.

17.jpg

You will now be able to select the circling radius around the POI (must be over 5 meters but cannot be more than 500m). Move the P3 to the desired radius. You can also adjust the altitude here too.
After selecting the radius, choose a speed you want to Phantom to travel at either clockwise or anticlockwise by sliding the slider left or right. Notice that it also tells you how long it will take the P3 to complete one orbit of the POI. Once ready click “Apply” and the P3 will begin orbiting the POI.
18.jpg
19.jpg
20.jpg

Once the P3 is orbiting the POI, you can increase or decrease the orbit radius by pulling or pushing the right stick. Pitching left or right allows you to manually control the orbit direction and speed. You can also move the slider on the APP to change the orbit direction and speed (stick pitch overrides the app settings).
22.jpg

You can control the height and YAW using the left stick. The “Focus” button will return the camera’s focus point to the centre of the radius (your POI).

23.jpg

During POI you can also use the camera tilt wheel to move the camera.

Clicking "Exit" and "OK" will hover the P3 at its current location.
26.jpg

Waypoint.
WAYPOINT.png
Record a flight path, then tell your Phantom 3 or Inspire 1 to fly along the same path repeatedly while you control the camera and orientation. Save your favorite missions, customize speed, and more.

To enable Waypoint function, select "Waypoint" from the “Intelligent Navigation” menu.

You can now select the option to create a new Waypoint mission or load a favourite one (every new mission created becomes a favourite, you can delete them if you wish). For this example we will create a new one.

27.jpg

Creating a waypoint is as simple as flying to a location and clicking “Record”. As shown, the maximum radius is 500m and maximum path length 5000m. You can also use the C1 and C2 buttons to add and remove waypoints easily.

28.jpg
29.jpg

You can delete the waypoints in the order they are created by clicking “Delete” or sing the "C2” button on the controller. Once you have set the waypoints you want, click “Done”.

30.jpg
31.jpg
32.jpg

You are now prompted to fly the P3 to the start waypoint and the distance you are from it. If you just click “Apply” the P3 will first fly to the first marker regardless.

33.jpg

“Head to:” option gives you three options for the where the P3’s nose points during mission flight.

“Consistent with record” will point it in the same direction it was when the particular waypoint was recorded.

“Consistent with route” will point it in the direction of travel along the route.
“Free” will allow you YAW the P3 during waypoint flight.
34.jpg

You also have the option to choose what the P3 does after it finishes the mission. Hover in in its location or return to the home point. Below this you can set the speed the P3 travels at during the POI mission.

36.jpg

Clicking “Apply” brings up a warning informing you of the current RTH altitude if you chose “Return to Home”. If you choose “Hover" you do not see this message.

37.jpg

The mission uploads to the Phantom and the mission starts.

39.jpg
40.jpg

During the mission, you can control its speed using the slider.

41.jpg

Clicking “Exit” will end the current mission.

INFO: Favourite waypoints can be "re-flown" at a later date.

Favourite Missions.
If you select “Favourite Missions” you can re-fly any previous mission flown.
27.jpg
42.jpg

Swipe left on a mission to bring up the delete option.

Follow Me.
FOLLOW.jpg

The Follow me feature does not seem to work in the simulator so I will briefly go over it.
Follow me basically maintains a set distance from you (the iPad with GPS) and follows it about.
One limitation is that you MUST be above 10 meters in altitude or it will not work. The altitude will turn BLUE when its accepted.
103.jpg
100.jpg

Once you choose an altitude, click “Apply” and the P3 will follow the GPS enabled tablet/phone keeping it roughly cantered on screen.

Lastly, take time to learn the new functions and HAVE FUN USING "GROUND STATION" FOR THE PHANTOM 3

2015-9-7
Use props
KaosImagery
lvl.3
Flight distance : 495463 ft
United States

Outstanding post, thank you for all the detailed info and instructions!
2015-9-7
Use props
pcmeid
lvl.2

South Africa

Great post.

Can you set waypoints using the simulator and create a favourite to use later with the copter?
2015-9-7
Use props
sploodge
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

pcmeid Posted at 2015-9-7 14:12
Great post.

Can you set waypoints using the simulator and create a favourite to use later with the  ...

Can try, can'r really recommend it though
2015-9-7
Use props
FoxSTI
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11286 ft
  • >>>
United States

great. Thank you. I seems  like you need to "work" fast setting your flight parameters once the craft if flying as to make the most of your battery time.
2015-9-7
Use props
sploodge
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

FoxSTI Posted at 2015-9-7 14:18
great. Thank you. I seems  like you need to "work" fast setting your flight parameters once the craf ...

True.. POI and Course/Home lock is my favourites.. Probably wont use Waypoint much..
2015-9-7
Use props
kairkyo161
lvl.2

United States

just got back in from a real world test and everything worked beautifully in the small area i had to work with. i even got ballsy and made a few routes weaving through some trees. the 33 foot floor is kind of a hhuge drawback though
2015-9-7
Use props
nightrider1383
lvl.1
Flight distance : 331923 ft
United States

Great post. Thanks for taking the time to inform everyone. I'll in the upgrade process right now. Just hope the weather holds up. Florida weather is unpredictable.
2015-9-7
Use props
kevinr621
lvl.2
Flight distance : 36427 ft
United States

Before I fly with new firmware - Question Sploodge - when I go to F mode am I still in GPS mode? Am I losing any options or does it fly and control as if I am in P mode? just would like clarification before I put it in the air

2015-9-7
Use props
Ulysse
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1389931 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

Can't see any advantages to the waypoint option if you have to fly to the waypoints to record them instead of being able to use the map ?!
2015-9-7
Use props
Amber
New

United Kingdom

My update went very smoothly around the 20min mark.
Took it to one of my favorite flying places where I had plenty of room to play.
Android App Updated 2.1.0 & Firmware updated today to the new 1.4.0
Take off in P-GPS with 20 Sats
When I select F mode the only option I get beside the 'Safe to Fly GPS' is CL, nothing else! no other menu appears on screen
My tablet has GPS and WiFI but no Cellular, is this the reason why I get the above.
2015-9-7
Use props
FireHawk
lvl.1
Flight distance : 285758 ft
United States

First off, thank you for spending the time to create this.  

My hope that DJI will release a trainer for Android.  These new features are great but now, I have to go practice them "live" without a simulator to just get the controls down.  

Oh well, I have a big field to practice on.
2015-9-7
Use props
ppkessler
lvl.2

France

Thanks! Well done and very useful information!
2015-9-7
Use props
nightrider1383
lvl.1
Flight distance : 331923 ft
United States

On this latest version, what is the 2K FPS for Advanced owners? Anyone test that yet? I'm guessing 30 or 29.5 FPS?
2015-9-7
Use props
kgjamison
lvl.3
Flight distance : 460751 ft
United States

Thank you very much for taking the time to post and help us with this!
2015-9-7
Use props
Stealth...
lvl.2

Bosnia and Herzegovina

Thanks! Keep up the good job.
2015-9-7
Use props
Lyle
lvl.1

United States

Looking forward to trying this. Want to use it for mapping. Lots of waypoints and taking pictures every 5 seconds at 12 miles per hour. Doable?
2015-9-7
Use props
sploodge
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

nightrider1383@ Posted at 2015-9-7 16:12
On this latest version, what is the 2K FPS for Advanced owners? Anyone test that yet? I'm guessing 3 ...

30Fps if what it offers
2015-9-7
Use props
sploodge
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Lyle Posted at 2015-9-7 16:18
Looking forward to trying this. Want to use it for mapping. Lots of waypoints and taking pictures ev ...

For mapping I would look at this https://www.mapsmadeeasy.com/ .. Its designed to do it.. I have its Beta and it works really well.

Its one of the amazing apps developed by 3rd party to make sure of the P3
2015-9-7
Use props
JTorsrud
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9475 ft
United States

I really appreciate this Information!  I was scratching my head trying to figure out how the new updates would work or how to access them, since there is no documentation listed from DJI (as usual)!  Not real crazy about having to fly a mission first then record each waypoint before being allowed to let the aircraft go on it's own!  Pretty much defeats the use of the Waypoint system!

Anyway, thanks for providing all this information.

Did I miss something or was there an instruction manual or guide on how to do all this stuff?

Thanks.
2015-9-7
Use props
sploodge
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JTorsrud Posted at 2015-9-7 16:22
I really appreciate this Information!  I was scratching my head trying to figure out how the new upd ...

I believe DJI will be making some videos and a manual for the new features. No ETA though
2015-9-7
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

Nite nite 3DR Solo! DJI nailed your coffin shut on this one. Just got done playing for a few minutes. I LOVE follow me and POI. I can't wait to jump on the UTV and really test follow me. Now, question....Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't toggling out of "F" mode back to P-GPS or ATTI cancel ALL IOC? God I hope so cause that is my "go to" fix.
2015-9-7
Use props
sploodge
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

jimcloud74@yaho Posted at 2015-9-7 16:34
Nite nite 3DR Solo! DJI nailed your coffin shut on this one. Just got done playing for a few minutes ...

Yes it does..

View the firmware update guide here - http://forum.dji.com/thread-29857-1-1.html
View the new Ground Station features overview here - http://forum.dji.com/thread-29855-1-1.html
View the Firmware/App support thread here - http://forum.dji.com/thread-29861-1-1.html
2015-9-7
Use props
astrostar
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Hi Sploodge,

You've obviously put a lot of hard work into the tutorial and you are to be congratulated for making things a lot easier for all of the forum members.
2015-9-7
Use props
ppkessler
lvl.2

France

I believe you can help me: with the last software I cannot anymore find the Simulator in the help screen??? Any idea?

And last but not least, is there a way to use the P3 Pro RC with the Windows DJI Simulator version?

Many thanks

Phil
2015-9-7
Use props
seba
lvl.1

Denmark

Nice work, thanks!

One thing I noticed with the POI mode.. You cannot fix it to the "operator", meaning the GPS position of your "screen". Or did I miss it?
I wonder if they will add that or if I have to buy the Autopilot app which seems to have this option.

Very useful for example if you're on a moving boat etc.
This was more or less the only mode I was waiting for But let's not complain now. Good work from DJI again!

Seb
2015-9-7
Use props
sploodge
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ppkessler@free. Posted at 2015-9-7 16:53
I believe you can help me: with the last software I cannot anymore find the Simulator in the help s ...

If you have the IOS verison of the App ( iPad ) then on the main screen click the little question mark ( ? ) in the top right.. Its in there..

As for Android, not sure if it has the simulator
Also, ther eis no Windows version, sorry.
iosapp.jpg

2015-9-7
Use props
k.kavelaars
lvl.2

Netherlands

Tnx Sploodge for your info as always verry helpfull, wat i don't understand is why you must be airborn for these functions, must be a reason for that?
i think it is not verry handy, with my old Ph2 vision + i could always program the aircraft on the ground, now i have to do this while airborn?? ii makes no sense to me ?
2015-9-7
Use props
sploodge
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

seba Posted at 2015-9-7 16:57
Nice work, thanks!

One thing I noticed with the POI mode.. You cannot fix it to the "operator", mea ...

Can use follow me mode if on a boat and manually circle yourself..
2015-9-7
Use props
Billshooter
lvl.1

United States

Sploodge,

I'm having the same problem that Amber posted above.
Everything is updated to current version, using Android app and Samsung Tab. When I take off in "P" mode and then switch to "F" I get no menu or any new icon next to "safe to fly".  
Any advice?

Thanks,
2015-9-7
Use props
ppkessler
lvl.2

France

sploodge Posted at 2015-9-7 17:59
If you have the IOS verison of the App ( iPad ) then on the main screen click the little question m ...

Thx! Not there anymore on Android version...

however I do have the Windows version of the DJI Simulator software but don't know on how to link the P3 remote controler to it. I have tried via USB without success...
2015-9-7
Use props
jon.godfrey
lvl.3

United Kingdom

oustanding post.  Now all I have to do is learn all that stuff!! :-)
2015-9-7
Use props
aburkefl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

Despite your complaint about the quantity of screenshots, you did a great job with the ones you posted. Great, very useful post.

BTW, using Dropbox, you can utilize the old CTRL+PRINT+SCRN keystrokes and shoot screen after screen after screen - they all will collect in Dropbox where you can then sort 'em out.

Regardless, a terrific post.
2015-9-7
Use props
Overton
lvl.1

United States

great info, thanks!
2015-9-7
Use props
Ulysse
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1389931 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

jimcloud74@yaho Posted at 2015-9-7 17:34
Nite nite 3DR Solo! DJI nailed your coffin shut on this one. Just got done playing for a few minutes ...

Maybe not. POI is great (anyway it is possible to perform this using the controls), waypoint is useless as you cannot choose the waypoints on the map (and follow me as no application for me).
Anyway this is a great update.
2015-9-7
Use props
jouni.paavilain
New

Spain

GREAT STUFF! I am just pulling in the firmware...

One newbie question: How does Follow Me mode work in practise? You must have iPhone or iPad connected to the controller and the aircraft follows the combo? The reason I am asking: I plan to use the Follow Me to record mountain biking and carrying a controller + iPad is problematic...would be so much easier to carry just iPhone but I guess without the controller the link between aircraft and iPad/iPhone is lost, right?

2015-9-7
Use props
sploodge
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

jouni.paavilain Posted at 2015-9-7 18:17
GREAT STUFF! I am just pulling in the firmware...

One newbie question: How does Follow Me mode work ...

You need the controller/ipad connected up. Also the ipad needs to have the GPS function ( cellular version )
2015-9-7
Use props
Nemmo
lvl.2

Russia

Well Done. Thank You So Much!!!
2015-9-7
Use props
TomWolves
lvl.4
Flight distance : 110577 ft
United States

Great Job Sploodge, Thanks, but one thing I don't understand is, when you set waypoints you have to fly each point first? I'm a bit confused I guess as my Phantom2 Vision + you had a map and you touch each point you want the P2V+ to go and set the heights. Perhaps I missed something all so I didn't happen to catch where you set the height in waypoints. None the less for all you did you did a awesome job showing "how-to" Looks complicated as in my battery will be drained before I can use the features!..... lol
2015-9-7
Use props
Nemmo
lvl.2

Russia

kevinr621 Posted at 2015-9-7 22:52
Before I fly with new firmware - Question Sploodge - when I go to F mode am I still in GPS mode? Am  ...

Yes still in GPS/ Without GPS these modes are impossible
2015-9-7
Use props
12345Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules