Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Guide: OVERVIEW OF THE NEW P3 GROUND STATION FUNCTIONS
81761 182 2015-9-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sploodge
lvl.4
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

TomWolves Posted at 2015-9-7 18:22
Great Job Sploodge, Thanks, but one thing I don't understand is, when you set waypoints you have to  ...

Unfortunately the option to pre-plan a waypoint mission is not possible ( well not allowed ) in the P3. I suppose DJI decided not to do it for some reason.

There will be some 3rd party apps out very soon that will though ( Litchi for example )..
2015-9-7
Use props
TomWolves
lvl.4
Flight distance : 110577 ft
United States

sploodge Posted at 2015-9-8 01:59
Unfortunately the option to pre-plan a waypoint mission is not possible ( well not allowed ) in th ...

Oh ok, sploodge. Thank you!
2015-9-7
Use props
npurdy13
New
Flight distance : 176050 ft
United States

Thank you for the instructions!!!
2015-9-7
Use props
kylecosme
New

United States

My iPad mini is not the cellular model, so I'm reading that can't be used for follow me function which makes sense.  My question is will follow me work with my iPhone 6, and once set up, can I unplug the iPhone from the RC and continue to follow or do you need the RC connected for it to work.  I'm assuming it has to stay connected which is inconvenient when riding a motorcycle.  
2015-9-7
Use props
bmcgowan13
lvl.1

United States

sploodge Posted at 2015-9-7 21:20
True.. POI and Course/Home lock is my favourites.. Probably wont use Waypoint much..

I bet I am overlooking a useful application of Home/Lock. Why do you say Home/Lock is a favorite? What would be a situation when you would use this?

I was incorrectly assuming it was kind of a "beginner" mode to keep you from getting disorientated and loosing the copter--kind of a dumbing down of the copter to keep my out of trouble...
2015-9-7
Use props
capbat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 54905 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Ulysse Posted at 2015-9-7 11:01
Can't see any advantages to the waypoint option if you have to fly to the waypoints to record them i ...

I agree. It seem that I had seen somewhere here a different variance of this, where we could determine waypoint while not flying and even specifying different altitude for each waypoint.

Bat
2015-9-7
Use props
DropOut
lvl.2
Flight distance : 149265 ft
Netherlands

Sploodge,

you did a wonderful job! You put a lot of excellent work into this tutorial. Thank you very much!
2015-9-7
Use props
NorthernLoop
lvl.2
Flight distance : 300246 ft
United Kingdom

Not seeing this option in Android? Anyone else see it?
2015-9-7
Use props
KaiserSoze9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 34753871 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Sploodge N1
2015-9-7
Use props
kjsalisbury
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for the posting Sploodge. It will be very helpful for lots of people here. These are new features but wondering if you can somehow log two phones/ipads etc into the same go app and use one as the follow device. I can always just give my phone/ipad to the subject i wanna have it follow but than im flying blind and cant compose my shots. Any ideas?
2015-9-7
Use props
AerialLens
lvl.3

United States

Amber Posted at 2015-9-7 11:02
My update went very smoothly around the 20min mark.
Took it to one of my favorite flying places wher ...

I have a theory (ONLY a theory).  I noticed early this morning (8 am in Eastern US) that the Android GO App from the DJI download page was 45.4 MB after download. Later, after 1 pm, I noticed the same apk file was 45.9 MB. Maybe, something was added to the App. Airport data, maybe? A missing menu, maybe? And maybe, MY iMac COMPUTER simply did something.

When did you download the apk file? Maybe it wasn't quite there yet, as it certainly is now. Just a theory.
In any case, this is fantastic! And Sploodge, YOU ARE A HERO!
2015-9-7
Use props
sploodge
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

kjsalisbury@gma Posted at 2015-9-7 20:28
Thanks for the posting Sploodge. It will be very helpful for lots of people here. These are new feat ...

Not sure if you can do this..
2015-9-7
Use props
heyandy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 413009 ft
United States

sploodge Posted at 2015-9-8 01:59
Unfortunately the option to pre-plan a waypoint mission is not possible ( well not allowed ) in th ...

I suspect DJI is making you fly to the waypoint so you know for sure there is no obstacles between waypoints.  
I can imagine someone setting two waypoints on a map and there is a nice tall tree in between them and when it flys into it, the fault will be put on DJI that the quad didn't know any better.
Once the mission is recorded then you are free to replay anytime..  This works for me, as though I am slowly getting better at fine controls as I video my path, sometimes you just get off course as you pay attention to panning the camera..

I do have one question..  Does the height of each waypoint also get recorded, and if so, when flying from point to point, does it remember how the decent / ascent is done, or does the Phantom go "smoothly" between the two points?
2015-9-7
Use props
totallydave
New

United Kingdom

Hey Spoodge, great instructions.  Appreciate the time you have put into this.  Getting dark here now in Hants, so eager to get out tomorrow and try it out.

There have been a couple of questions about the need to take the controller with you for follow-me.  This does seem rather backward when compared to the competition.  Is it possible to use the wifi link between phone and controller (instead of USB) and therefore get a bit more mobile and leave the controller on the ground but within range of the phone?
2015-9-7
Use props
kjsalisbury
lvl.1
United States

totallydave@gma Posted at 2015-9-7 12:57
Hey Spoodge, great instructions.  Appreciate the time you have put into this.  Getting dark here now ...

I would assume DJI will release a device to allow more freedom for use with "follow me" in the near future.
2015-9-7
Use props
mdl5299
New

United States

About time! POI works great although would love to be able to pick POI from map.  Follow me is sweet. Waypoints, I hope DJi allows you to do them from the map before takeoff. Otherwise not really useful for me. Great start though, should keep people happy for a bit.
2015-9-7
Use props
andrewh
New

United States

Thanks so much for this post!!!1  If DJI has better information up themselves I haven't seen it.  Needless to say I've been out all afternoon checking out these features.  I kept getting an error message when trying the "Follow Me".  After about the 5th failed attempt I realized I had to turn on the GPS on my phone!

2015-9-7
Use props
jbcenterprise
lvl.2

United States

Hello sploodge, That is a great post.  I always follow you information.
You are up to date on DJI.
Thanks
Mike
2015-9-7
Use props
sploodge
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

andrewh Posted at 2015-9-7 22:03
Thanks so much for this post!!!1  If DJI has better information up themselves I haven't seen it.  Ne ...

Doh!! Glad you got it sorted though
2015-9-7
Use props
venomx15301
lvl.3

United States

To the people complaining about how WayPoints work... Welcome to DJI trying to keep the US and other governments off their case. Way to many idiots are buying these now and I am guessing DJI wants to cover their....well you know.
2015-9-7
Use props
chrisclaydon
lvl.3

Australia

Top stuff... thanks ........sploodge
2015-9-7
Use props
Amber
New

United Kingdom

Billshooter Posted at 2015-9-7 17:12
Sploodge,

I'm having the same problem that Amber posted above.

Sorry only getting back onto the forum now so I will assume you have sorted this out. If not then uninstall the DJO GO app and all its folders and reinstall it.  The DJI GO App for Android was released prior to the firmware and that is when I downloaded it.  After I removed it and downloaded and installed it again all worked fine.
2015-9-7
Use props
Rincewind
lvl.4
  • >>>
Taiwan

Quick question (I'd try to answer it myself by flying, but here it's raining like crazy): Can you save/load waypoint missions? I'm thinking here about two topics.
On the one hand, safety. If I tap the wrong mission, the phantom is going to fly away towards the horizon, but if I store my missions on the computer, and just load the ones I need into the app, i.e. the ones pertaining to the area I'm going to fly in that day, that should diminish the risk of my sausage fingers sending the P3 on a trip around the world.
The other is uploading external files for photogrammetry. I've noticed that Maps Made Easy produces this waypoint AWM files, which are supposed to be compatible with the phantom 2 (I think). Now, if I can indeed save waypoint missions to my computer, what format are they in? Is it the AWM format as well? If it is, has someone tried to sneak a maps made easy file into the DJI Go app?
2015-9-7
Use props
ag0n
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Great post, Sploodge.  However, I'me really disappointed at the need to center the bird over the POI target.  I know this may be hard to understand, but what if, for instance, the POI is tall enough that it is not legal to fly over the top of it?  I'd like to be able to designate the target and then fly around it without having to fly over it first.  I also have to agree with others on the waypoint designation process.  Like others, I didn't see you mention how to set waypoint altitudes and transition area, but I only read through it once so far.
2015-9-7
Use props
spencer_hamons
lvl.1
Flight distance : 292208 ft
United States

Excellent post Sploodge, great job with the screenshots.  Thanks for taking your own time to put this together.

I can't wait to get to try this out sometime in the next week or so. A bit too windy here in Angel Fire, NM today - and I am too new of a flyer to risk it in the winds.  Hopefully, when I get back from business travel this next week, conditions will be better.

I can't wait to try out creating a waypoint mission.  I want to build a mission here in the Rocky Mountains  where I can record the same shots, all in different seasons.

Thanks again for the great work. The Forum has been the best instructions a new flyer can have.

Spencer
Angel Fire, NM
FIRST PHANTOM VIDEO IS LIVE AT:

2015-9-7
Use props
photosbygregory
New

United States

Thank you
2015-9-7
Use props
pi-inthesky
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13058 ft
United Kingdom

good nights work sploodge top notch thread EXELLENT the androiders are waitng in anticipation now
2015-9-7
Use props
bahamasboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13845 ft
United States

I briefly played with waypoints and follow me today.  Some of you have asked about altitude... when you set a waypoint, the alt is also set. Mary Poppins rose and fell correctly in a transition between the two points.   A couple of  benefit of recording your waypoints that I found are that you can line up your shots exactly like you want them before recording the position- then when you fly it again,  all of the aligning movement is not in your final video.  Secondly, if you set  the camera position to follow the route, your phantom will make curves to transition around a waypoint resulting in smoother footage. Finally, if you use the free yaw... you can vary your camera shot but maintain the route.   Imagine filming a motorcycle track... you set out as the riders take off.... you're ahead of them shooting backwards..... as they round a curve which you've set as a waypoint, you rotate and catch them from the side, then fall behind them on another straight away....so you spin to catch them from behind.    Multiple races would have the same route, but what happens on each one may necessitate different camera positions.   (just a thought).

My question is in Follow Me Mode...  does the camera automatically tilt up and down to keep you in the shot, or does it rely solely on where the phantom is positioned in the air?   Can you readjust the position of the phantom manually..  i.e. you're driving (well ok..riding) in a car the the phantom is in front of you.. can you give it some stick to move it out to the left or right and will it still track you automatically with the camera?   

Tks Sploodge....your tutorial made my first day with the new firmware successful!!!!  
2015-9-7
Use props
daviskw2004
lvl.4
Flight distance : 12890 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the info and I hope you don’t think this question dumb. I noticed some asking in other threads if the information for the waypoints was stored in the RC or aircraft. One answer was you had to run a course where the aircraft was in line of site at all times which would indicate the information was stored in the RC. Yet in the screen shots you posted it plainly says the mission will continue even it the RC looses connection.

To me this would say that if I wanted a course that had a series of buildings or obstacles that would block the signal from the RC I could fly behind them and complete the course. For instance I could fly line of sight beyond an obstacle or series of obstacles on the left and record a waypoint. Then fly back towards the RC in front of the obstacles then on the right side travel again beyond  the obstacles and record a waypoint. Then when the course is run the aircraft would fly behind the obstacles… do I understand this correctly… Of course you would have to know if the path was clear at that altitude behind the obstacles.

This information and ability may be useful in certain closely choreographed situations.

Butch
2015-9-7
Use props
Cash3p
lvl.1

United States

Thank you so much. The time and effort it took to put this post together is very much appreciated.  GREAT JOB!  Now if it would just quit raining...
2015-9-7
Use props
Goggles Pisano
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8810745 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for all the helpful  info...Really appreciate it.
2015-9-7
Use props
radius
lvl.2

Indonesia

Thank you for this awesome tutorial Sploodge.
2015-9-7
Use props
sploodge
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Rincewind Posted at 2015-9-8 00:24
Quick question (I'd try to answer it myself by flying, but here it's raining like crazy): Can you sa ...

yes you can save previous missions and fly again..

Yes the P3 will fly into the distance if you select the wrong saved waypoint double check before applying the mission and Just be ready to switch mode on the controller to P
I would go with maps made Easy for mapping, their beta app is brilliant..
2015-9-7
Use props
lvl.4

United States

sploodge Posted at 2015-9-8 01:05

Yes the P3 will fly into the distance if you se ...

What distance from controller can the map made easy go?   Also, can you go faster than 11.2 MPH?  The DJI waypoint creeps along at that speed through the waypoints.   A real pain!
2015-9-7
Use props
mavs88
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8953215 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Mr. Sploodge... WELLDONE!
Maybe I missed the information, but you need to go to settings and allow IOC and the other Flightmodes... or?
2015-9-7
Use props
Rincewind
lvl.4
  • >>>
Taiwan

sploodge Posted at 2015-9-8 14:05

Yes the P3 will fly into the distance if you se ...

Thank you sploodge! Also, thanks for the great tutorials... In my excitement, I forgot to say so in the previous message.
My problem with maps made easy is that it is iOS only... I just got into this hobby, and as a result, my bank account is a bit on the empty side. There is no way I'm getting an ipad any time soon. That's why I was thinking of alternative ways of doing this. Still, I checked litchi out, and it seems to work. Maps made easy appears to assume a 5 second time lapse (at least that's what they say on their flight planner tool), which means I can use litchi + time lapse for perfectly regular mapping missions. At least until I've put together enough money to be allowed to indenture my kidneys to the great apple in the sky ;)

Either way, thanks very much, and I gather that there haven't been many problems with this update, have they? I'll probably be upgrading tonight, then!
2015-9-7
Use props
sploodge
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Rincewind Posted at 2015-9-8 08:23
Thank you sploodge! Also, thanks for the great tutorials... In my excitement, I forgot to say so i ...

Litchi will give you more options that the stock DJI App does if moving over to IOS is not an option. By setting the watpoints to fly in a grid you could use the time-lapse to make the map images. I have not had too much time to play with it yet as I use a friends Android device .

As for problems wit the firmware, its has been very quiet compared to other releases
2015-9-7
Use props
mrapl1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3681 ft
United States

Excellent work Sploodge...! Thank You so much...!
2015-9-7
Use props
sgeprods
lvl.3
Flight distance : 57841 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Thank you Sploodge, great work.  Update went like clockwork & just tested these new features, well done to DJI too, its rock solid .. if you follow the right procedure. . Can see why they did waypoints the way they did after all it is a platform for aerial footage not seeing how far you can push the limits. If great shots are important to you, you will not be disappointed.  You can plan your shots & keep doing it until you have it perfect... easy as. Thanks again.
2015-9-8
Use props
Rincewind
lvl.4
  • >>>
Taiwan

sploodge Posted at 2015-9-8 15:35
Litchi will give you more options that the stock DJI App does if moving over to IOS is not an opti ...

Glad you agree. I'm going back home this week, and will stay around there for a while. My family just saw o couple of my videos, and are really keen on my taking pictures of their homes. Since they live right next to each other, I thought a bit of mapping might be cool. I'll report as soon as I have something!
2015-9-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules