Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Guide: OVERVIEW OF THE NEW P3 GROUND STATION FUNCTIONS
81372 182 2015-9-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Thekameleon & sploodge,

"It is enabled that is part of the problem, I can't disable it.  It is grayed out and I can't toggle it.  It only turns off when the Multiple flight mode is toggled off, but when I toggle it on, the IOC toggles on as well.  I also can't hit the IOC Reset,  I tap on it and nothing happens."

This is my problem to and I have an Android also.  I am having some luck with disabling "Multiple Flight Mode" before the drone in turned on, then when I am airborne, I toggle on "F" mode and the controller asks me if I want to enable "Multiple Flight Modes".  But, you have to hit "Apply" (or whatever) real fast because it fades real fast and you loose your opportunity and have to start over.  Then - if you are lucky - or so it seems, you get the five options.  But, I have only gotten this far a few times and only with my small (16 GB) micro-SD chip (how does that fit in?).  It also helps in my case to have formatted the SD chip and put just the new .bin file (not the .txt file) back in the root directory (communication issue?).  Tomorrow, I will try to root out the "superstitious" actions to get down to the real problem and increase reliability.  But it is really important to get that "Multiple Flight Mode" switch disabled somehow and before communication with the drone seems to work - and make sure you are in "P" mode when you start the drone or you may loose it all and have to start over.

Aloha and Drone-On!
2015-9-11
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Aloha phil.darkspark,

Sorry to hear about your drone's rude encounter with a hard surface.  You said, "but it appears that when you are in course mode," it sounds like you mean the waypoints "course" mode and not a course lock.  Otherwise, I am missing the whole thread here.  Waypoints is the option I have not tried yet so you really got my attention.  But I have read and watched everything I can to learn about the waypoints option.  One thing that was strongly suggested is you have to deal with as much as a 4 second lag between an observed issue and drone movement.  It is kind of like driving a car where you have to be sure not to drive faster than your reaction time.  The other suggestion they made was to put the "Multiple Flight Modes" toggle back in "P" mode as soon as you see an unexpected obstacle and let go of the controller sticks so you can stop and hover.  Then you may have to use "return to home" or direct controlled flight to get back to the home point but . . . (I know, Monday morning quarterback).  I live in the jungle here and we fly in the jungle to, but mostly over it and in the ridges and mountains.  So waypoints is going to be interesting since everywhere is full of obstacles and interpretations - like if my return to home altitude is 150 feet and I am in a 200 foot mountain, if I loose communication, my drone crashes into the mountain to return to home.  I am looking forward to waypoints and dreading it at the same time!

Aloha and Drone On!
2015-9-11
Use props
rekabtrebor
lvl.1
Flight distance : 96427 ft

Canada

Excellent detail could not be better, you put a lot of work into this mate, thank you, I am a newbie and appreciate this info very much. Rob
2015-9-11
Use props
rekabtrebor
lvl.1

Canada

Excellent detail could not be better, you put a lot of work into this mate, thank you, I am a newbie and appreciate this info very much. Rob
2015-9-11
Use props
k.kavelaars
lvl.3

Netherlands

Does annyone knows how to errase you favorite waypoint route, and something else, if you select one of your favorite route's when you are miles further, wil it still try to go there or wil it not because of the distance?
2015-9-11
Use props
sploodge
Captain
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

k.kavelaars@qui Posted at 2015-9-11 20:56
Does annyone knows how to errase you favorite waypoint route, and something else, if you select one  ...

1: swipe the favourite ( left on ipad ) and a delete option will appear.

2: Should not if the first waypoint if farther than 500m
2015-9-11
Use props
k.kavelaars
lvl.3

Netherlands

Ok thanks sploodge, i will try it, i,ll fly with androide, but think it will work the same way, let you know tnx..
2015-9-11
Use props
Thekameleon
lvl.1

United States

Cetaman Posted at 2015-9-11 03:05

"It is enabled that is part of the problem, I can't disable it.  It i ...

Thanks for your reply and suggestion. I don't really consider this a fix though.  Sounds to me like DJI needs to do some bug fixing on the Android platform. I look forward to their next release with this fixed.
2015-9-12
Use props
Paul Wilson

Malaysia

Excellent stoodge - great post and really helpful. As a relative newbie, this is exactly what I needed - just tried each of the options and all worked perfectly !
2015-9-12
Use props
mark-frei
lvl.1

Germany

I have the functions waypoint and POI successfully tested. but I've sweated short as my I1 will saw off a tree top
2015-9-12
Use props
rekabtrebor
lvl.1

Canada

I have a quaestion that while not related to the post I would like your opinion. It is always said to aim for "as close as possible" to twice the frame rate for shutter speed to avoid motion blurr etc, and so for 60 FPS you go with 1/120 speed. Does that mean that if you are using 60FPS then slower speed is detrimental? For example if I am set at 1/60 of a second and 60 FPS will that produce a less quality video than setting at the 1/120th, or is anything 1/120th or lower good?
2015-9-12
Use props
topgian
lvl.1
Flight distance : 176250 ft
Italy

Hello guys.  I already read a lot about intelligent navigation in lots of forums but I can't find nothing for my problem. I've got a phantom 3 pro and I tried to use the "intelligent navigation" but I failed every times. I saw some tutorials and I understood that intelligent navigation  won't work before taking off. I also understood that I would be at least at 10 metres to use intelligent navigation. So I decided to try again sure to success...but I failed again. I followed all the instructions above but I can't understand why my dji go app says on the left side of the screen only "course lock and home lock enabled" but any pop-ups appears to let me use "point of interest and others". I also tried with different devices android and apple with the latest firmware. Can you give me advice ? Maybe do I do some mistakes ?
2015-9-12
Use props
sploodge
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

topgian Posted at 2015-9-12 18:22
Hello guys.  I already read a lot about intelligent navigation in lots of forums but I can't find no ...

You need t make sure the IOC option is disabled.

Screenshot_2015-09-12-18-46-50.png

2015-9-12
Use props
topgian
lvl.1
Italy

sploodge Posted at 2015-9-12 19:56

Maybe thanks spoodge I am nearest to solution. Thanks also to the picture you posted.
I understood I must take off with disabled Multiflight Mode and Disabled IOC  and then turn in F mode (solution A). In this way I will see the popup with all new features (waypoint,follow and others).But please tell me why if enable multiflight mode and then I turn in F mode I see also enabled IOC slightly in green (as solution B and C, before F mode and after F mode)

IOC solution A.jpg

In position F

In position F

In position P

In position P
2015-9-12
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

After a full day of rain yesterday, I was able to get out today and test the "fix" as you say, Thekameleon.  Well, now I am completely in your camp.  My suggestions were not a "fix" by any standard and even failed me today numerous times.  All I could get was the notification,

"Failed to start Intelligent Navigation Modes  

Course Lock or Home Lock is enabled."

None of my suggestions seemed to work at all.  But, it is Saturday and I have 3 more hours than California to work on this problem.  At this point, the only thing that can help is persistence in trying to identify the problem and see if there is a work-around.

sploodge, have you come up with anything on this, "Failed to start Intelligent Navigation Modes,  Course Lock or Home Lock is enabled" notification?

I agree that "DJI needs to do some bug fixing on the Android platform". I have been able to use some of the five options - when the stars were aligned properly -  and I, to, look forward to their next firmware release with this fixed.  I am sure DJI is avidly working to figure this out presently.  But, we still have Course Lock and Home Lock - but then we always did.  Hey, CL and HL are fun to, but we may be too proficient in those tools (and possibly bored) by the time the other three options are fixed!

BTW, I live in a particularly scenic area and was able to use the "Point of Interest" option at one point to record a circular and spiral pan of the view from up high.  I set the radius at 20 feet and speed of rotation at 3 feet per second and recorded at 1080p / 60 fps for slow motion to smooth out the pan, but the POI rotation is so smooth I did not need the slow motion.  The result looks like the camera is rotating on it's vertical axis.  This is a great tool for scenic areas.  We are going to have some fun when DJI fixes this!

Still working on it!

Aloha and Drone On!
2015-9-12
Use props
topgian
lvl.1
Italy

sploodge Posted at 2015-9-12 19:56

Thank you Sploodge, I resolved. It's all ok. Now I see popup with all new features.
2015-9-13
Use props
fredsheldon
lvl.1
Flight distance : 29193 ft
United States

djepson Posted at 2015-9-8 05:48
Great post thanks. Is follow me likely to work when skiing down a gradient? How does the phantom det ...

I'm interested in the answer to this question. In the promo photo it shows a skier skiing down the mountain with the P3 following. The graphic seems to suggest the P3 is losing altitude along with the skier. Is this the case or does the P3 maintain the original starting point altitude while the skier heads lower. What if you are driving up a mountain, will the P3 follow the car and gain altitude along with the car or will it finally crash into the roadway
2015-9-13
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Fred,

As far as I can tell, altitude is relative to the controller (RC).  I live and fly in the mountain jungle and had a site I wanted to land in but it was above my site.  I had my RTH altitude set to 150 feet (for the Norfolk Pines) and was concerned that if I was flying in a 200 foot mountain, any loss of communication would send my P3 to 150 feet to return to home.  As you can see that would be a prescription for crash and burn; my P3 would go down to 150 feet and hit bottom on the way.  Fortunately the flats altitude as only 75 feet above me so when I had to hit RTH it went up, but I was holding my okole anyway!  So it looks like the altitude is relative to the Radio Controller even if it is traveling rapidly downhill.  BTW, they would use the dynamic home point for that exercise.  DHP is relative to the controller location.  It is also possible to set a temporary home point based on the location of the P3 while it is in the air and that can be changed repeatedly during a mission.  So, if you want to film a video that uses the home lock feature (like circling around the 5 meter / 17 foot radius for HL) and do it for more than one location, you can change the home point on the fly.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2015-9-13
Use props
fredsheldon
lvl.1
Flight distance : 29193 ft
United States

Cetaman Posted at 2015-9-13 18:20
Aloha Fred,

As far as I can tell, altitude is relative to the controller (RC).  I live and fly ...

Thanks for your reply but I'm not sure it answered my question. How does the P3 know how far above it is from the RC. As the RC gains or loses altitude how does the P3 know, is it based on the GPS or something else like a built in barometer.  Thanks in advance for any information you might be able to provide.
Fred Sheldon
2015-9-13
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Fred,

Actually it is both, "based on the GPS or something else like a built in barometer".  

And it uses both American and Russian GPS and GLONASS, respectively, to determine altitude along with the on-board barometer.  If you will recall, the ATTI (A) mode (PAF flight options) relies only on the barometer for altitude information when you are racing along close to the ground in drone races.  Hey, you are buying into some good stuff here!

Aloha and Drone On!
2015-9-13
Use props
Rnfaust
Second Officer
Flight distance : 734938 ft
United States

Great post by the way.
Regarding waypoints and the 500m radius. To be clear, is that 500m radius from the home point or 500m from Waypoint #1 or from any waypoint to the next waypoint?
Please say WP#1. I want to fly out 350 m  from my home point to start waypoint #1. Is that ok?
2015-9-14
Use props
jeff
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4039862 ft
United States

Thanks for the post. Question on Follow me- can this be enabled on the fly? We have to shoot some boats on a lake, will be doing some POI, and manual flying, video & stills. We also will be on a moving boat. Was hoping we can activate Follow me to guide P3 back to us when time for battery change. Since we will be moving, recorded Home Point will not be where we are....
2015-9-15
Use props
jeff
lvl.3
United States

Barring that- is there a way to reset the Home Point to our current location- where the RC is- also to guide P3 back to us on the boat??
2015-9-15
Use props
ericrudd
lvl.1
Flight distance : 133944 ft
United States

What is the fastest way to bail out of any of these functions?  I don't like the idea of having to bring back a "hidden" screen, click exit, etc.

I am flying my desk right at the moment. Will switching to Program mode on the controller do it?

Eric
2015-9-15
Use props
sploodge
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ericrudd Posted at 2015-9-15 19:26
What is the fastest way to bail out of any of these functions?  I don't like the idea of having to b ...

Move the function switch to P...
2015-9-15
Use props
Rnfaust
Second Officer
Flight distance : 734938 ft
United States

Hi Sploodge
Do you know if the 500m radius refers to distance from each individual waypoint or overall from HP or WP#1?
2015-9-15
Use props
darrenatherton
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Thank you for your kindness taking the time to write this very helpful post,
Cheers
Darren
2015-9-15
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Aloha jeff,

There are three types of Home Point - where the P3 is at the moment of take-off, where the P3 is at some arbitrary time in the journey and chosen by the pilot to be a Home Poin (away from home - so-to-speak) and where the controller is, such as what you have heard with "Follow Me".  All are GPS enabled, you just have to choose which GPS point you want to use as the Home Point.  The first two are static home points, the Follow Me home point is dynamic and changes depending on the location of the hand-held radio controller (this GPS is enabled through the GPS of the monitor).

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2015-9-15
Use props
ericrudd
lvl.1
Flight distance : 133944 ft
United States

sploodge Posted at 2015-9-15 14:42
Move the function switch to P...

Thank you. That's what I figgered.  )
2015-9-16
Use props
jeff
lvl.3
United States

Cetaman Posted at 2015-9-15 19:53
Aloha jeff,

There are three types of Home Point - where the P3 is at the moment of take-off, w ...

Thanks CetaMan- still need to know - if in Follow me mode, can I hit the Retun to Home button and have it return to wherever the controller is at that moment?
As I want to shoot off a moving boat I want to be sure I can bring it home quickly when needing to change batteries.
Barring that- how would I set a New Home Point for my current location??
Thanks!!
2015-9-19
Use props
jeff
lvl.3
United States

Cetaman Posted at 2015-9-15 19:53
Aloha jeff,

There are three types of Home Point - where the P3 is at the moment of take-off, w ...

Thanks CetaMan- still need to know - if in Follow me mode, can I hit the Retun to Home button and have it return to wherever the controller is at that moment?
As I want to shoot off a moving boat I want to be sure I can bring it home quickly when needing to change batteries.
Barring that- how would I set a New Home Point for my current location??
Thanks!!
2015-9-19
Use props
arnold114
Flight distance : 216801 ft
United Kingdom

I have the phantom 3 standard and have not yet found "f" mode. How do I get it? I have enabled multiple flight mode and ioc and I have course lock
2015-9-19
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Aloha jeff,

The small silver toggle switch on the upper left side of your controller has F A P settings.  F means Function, A means Attitude and P means Positioning.  The F mode position allows IOC and Follow Me is an IOC function.  The toggle has to be in F mode for Follow Me to work.  To get out of Follow Me and regain "normal" control of the P3, you need to switch the toggle from the F mode position to the P mode position.  But you should plan on a four second delay before you get full control back.  With full control you can bring the P3 in for a battery exchange.

I am not sure the Return to Home option works in F mode since Home Lock is allowed and can be enabled in F mode.  Also, the bottom icon on the left side of your flight screen is your home point icon.  It looks like a very fat exclamation point with a black dot in the middle.  If you touch that, you will be given the option of choosing whether you want the controller or the P3 to set the new home point.  Please realize that these two options set a location that does not move after you set it.  If your boat is moving, do not use this option, but if your boat is stopped - AND NOT DRIFTING - then you could press the controller home point option.  But this whole scenario for your need is getting real risky.  Just fly the drone to you in P mode and change out the battery.  So what if your boat is drifting a little bit.  You are in control of the P3 because you put it in the P mode position.  The best use of Return to Home is to get the P3 near to you, then press it again to get out of Return to Home and since you will already be in P mode position, you can easily finish bringing the P3 in to you for a hand landing.  But if you do use Return to Home, you have to be stopped and select the controller option for updating your home point and if the boat drifts too far before the P3 gets to you, you may have to update the Home Point again.  Again, all this is way more risky than just putting the P3 in P mode and flying it to you.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2015-9-20
Use props
DarrenDCClark
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Great overview Sploodge, think the POI will be invaluable and interested to see the results compared to manually flying around something which I have tried once with reasonable success. Looking forward to trying it all out when I eventually get back in the air!

Cheers,
D.
2015-9-20
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Arnold,

The S1 silver toggle switch at the upper right side of your remote controller has the P mode, A mode and F mode positions.  P is the upper position of the switch and F is the lowest position of the switch.  To use F mode you have to enable Multiple Flight Modes in the DJI Go app.  (Do not worry about the IOC slider being grayed out.  It will move when it has to and it is grayed out so it does not get accidentally mess with.)  However, for the F mode switch to work, Multiple Flight Modes in the DJI Go app has to be enabled.

You get to Multiple Flight Modes in the DJI Go app by accessing the settings option at the upper right corner of app screen.  On the left column are the icons for the P3 (top position), gimbal, controller, camera, etc.  Touch the P3 icon and then touch the advanced settings bar.  The top option is the enable Multiple Flight Modes slider.  Move it to the right to enable Multiple Flight Modes, then close out the settings screen if you have no other settings to adjust.  

Once you are back at the flight control screen, the Multiple Flight Modes menu is to the left of the status button at the middle, top of the screen.  In some cases, though, you cannot access it until the P3 is off the ground.  Take off in P mode and once you are up over 10 meters switch from P mode to F mode.  A menu may appear on the flight screen, otherwise tap the Multiple Flight Modes option.  Choose your IOC option.  Do be aware that if you have an Android device, only CL (Course Lock) and HL (Home Lock) may be enabled.  DJI is still working on that problem.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2015-9-20
Use props
Friendlyfred

United States

Well posted.. I was referred here from the Inspire forum. However, I use an Android. DJI GO app is different
2015-9-21
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Fred,

Well, they call the P3 the "mini-Inspire".  Much of the software has serious similarities.  You note you have an Android device though, so you may be having issues with the IOC option getting beyond CL (Course Lock) and HL (Home Lock).  We certainly are having a problem here in the P3 zone, but we trust that DJI is working quickly to resolve the issue.  (They want us to fly as much as we want to fly.)  The remaining three options are Point of Interest, Follow Me and Waypoints.  But, there is a lot that can be done with CL and HL while you are waiting.  Any practice you can get in using CL and HL will serve you in good stead by the time DJI gets our new Android firmware or new version of the DJI Go app published.   YouTube has many demos that you might find useful.  Hell, just flying our quads, whether Inspire or P3, is such fun that my batteries are gone before I am ready to quit.  But, I was able to hack some use of POI (Point of Interest) before everything started to fail and we will be having lots more fun when everything is working properly.

Hope this pep-talk helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2015-9-21
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Jeff,

Since the rain finally stopped, I had a chance to fly and looked at the "Home Point" icon -  

(the bottom icon on the left side of your flight screen is your home point icon.  It looks like a very fat exclamation point with a black dot in the middle.  If you touch that, you will be given the option of choosing whether you want the controller or the P3 to set the new home point.  Please realize that these two options set a location that does not move after you set it.)  

It turns out that the Home Point icon actually has an "H", not a black dot, in the middle of the very fat exclamation point.  Sorry for the mix-up.

Aloha and drone on!
2015-9-22
Use props
kirstenscully
Flight distance : 156781 ft
Spain

Thanks for all the info!
I have an Inspire and have been using the instructions I've found here. "Follow Me" does not work... I get a "This option not available" message or something similar. All of the other modes work just fine. I have my altitude etc at the correct height. Am using a mini iPad with wifi. Anyone else had this problem? Any idea of what's going on?
Thanks,
K

2015-9-25
Use props
sploodge
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

kirstenscully Posted at 2015-9-25 23:05
Thanks for all the info!
I have an Inspire and have been using the instructions I've found here. "Fo ...

Don't think the follow me is available on the Inspire..
2015-9-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules