Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Guide: Phantom 3 Firmware 1.4.0010/1.1.0030 Update
1234Next >
152728 132 2015-9-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sploodge
Captain
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Phantom 3 Firmware 1.4.0010/1.1.0030 Update Guide

NOTE: If you are having issues with the controller always saying there is an update, see my updated info in the "Updating the Remote Controller Firmware" secion below.

Follow the process described below to upgrade the Phantom 3, Remote Controller and Battery to firmware version.

Updating the Aircraft Firmware.

Step 1- Check Battery and SD Card

Ensure the Intelligent Flight Battery has at least 50% power and the SD card has been formatted using the DJI GO App.

Formatting SD Card Using the DJI GO App

Step 2- Prepare the Firmware Update Package

1. Download the firmware update package from the official DJI website
For P3 Advanced and P3 Professional - http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-3/download
For P3 Standard - http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-3-standard/download

Note: The Phantom Professional, Phantom Advanced, and Phantom Standard use different firmware files. Make sure to download the correct one.

UPDATE: DJI have pulled the firmware file for the standard from their website. The update process for this is now done ONLY via the APP.

Review the Release Notes for the particular P3 so you know what’s changed.
Phantom 3 Pro: download.dji-innovations.com/downloads/phantom_3/en/Phantom_3_Professional_Release_Note_en_0907.pdf
Phantom 3 Advanced: download.dji-innovations.com/downloads/phantom_3/en/Phantom_3_Advanced_Release_Note_en_0907.pdf
Phantom 3 Standard: download.dji-innovations.com/downloads/phantom_3_standard/en/Phantom_3_%20Standard%20_Release_Note_en_0907.pdf

2. Insert the SD card into your PC. Extract the downloaded firmware .BIN file into the root directory of the SD card. Remove the SD card from your PC.

Ensure the aircraft and controller is powered OFF then insert the SD card into the card slot on the camera.

The below video shows the process of adding the firmware .BIN file on the SD card.
NOTE: The video shows downloading firmware 1.3.20 for the Phantom 3 Professional, you will need to download the latest version ( 1.04.0010 for Pro/Advanced - 1.1.0030 for Standard ) for your particular model.

Step 3- Update the Aircraft

1. Ensure the remote controller is powered OFF and then power ON the aircraft. Upgrade will begin automatically after aircraft is powered on.

The below video shows the complete update process.
Note: How long the update takes and the precise sequence of events migth differ from the video so use it as reference only.

It will take approximately 25 minutes to complete the firmware update. The camera status indicator will blink green and red to indicate the upgrade is in progress and turn solid GREEN when the update has completed with success.

Note: During the firmware upgrade the lights on the arms of the Phantom will flash different colours (and go completely OFF), beep in different patterns, gimbal will move and go limp. You will also hear the P3 startup noise a few times whilst the ESC’s firmware is being updated. All of this is normal so just ignore it. It’s ONLY when the light on the front of the gimbal goes SOLID GREEN that the process is complete (you will also hear the DA…DA.DA beep).

When the light on the gimbal goes SOLID GREEN ( and you hear the DA...DA.DA beep ), turn off the Phantom by pressing and releasing the power button quickly, then immediately press and hold it in for 2 seconds.

2. Check the upgrade status by opening the “.txt” file that is automatically generated on the SD card after the update (you need to plug the SD back into your computer for this). The final line in the LOG file should have the word “Success”.

The LOG file will look similar to this:
========== 2014.01.01 00:00:12 remo-con disconnect======
Packet: P3X_FW_V01.04.0010.bin
Upgrading ...
Result: Success.

There is also another LOG file in a hidden directory on the SD card called /MISC/LOG. This file contains further detailed information on each hardware module within the P3 that’s updated. Useful if something goes wrong.

The LOG will look similar to this:
[00027520]Firmware upgrading[1]...
[00027754][03 06] Firmware upgrade start...
[00355344][03 06] Firmware upgrade finished successfully.
[00355418]Done.

[00355487]Version checking[2]...
[00355608][03 05][00] v34.2.0.9 -> v34.2.0.9
[00355728][03 06][05] v2.3.0.13 -> v2.3.0.13
[00355808][04 00][00] v1.41.0.0 -> v1.41.0.0
[00355908][09 00][00] v1.7.0.3 -> v1.7.0.3
[00356072][11 00][00] v1.7.0.0 -> v1.7.0.0
[00356197][12 00][00] v1.10.0.0 -> v1.10.0.0
[00356329][12 01][00] v1.10.0.0 -> v1.10.0.0
[00356457][12 02][00] v1.10.0.0 -> v1.10.0.0
[00356602][12 03][00] v1.10.0.0 -> v1.10.0.0
[00356766][15 00][00] v1.1.2.0 -> v1.1.2.0
[00356897][17 00][00] v1.1.1.7 -> v1.1.1.7
[00357056][17 01][00] v1.0.2.7 -> v1.0.2.7
[00357168][19 00][00] v1.0.8.96 -> v1.0.8.96
[00357240][01 00][00] v1.23.3419 -> v1.23.3419
[00357387][01 01][00] v1.23.3419 -> v1.23.3419
[00357469][08 00][00] v0.12.0.4 -> v0.12.0.4
[00357541]Packet upgrade finish successfully.

See this video on how to see hidden files on Windows.

Phantom 3 Standard Update Via App.

It appears that the Phantom 3 Standard can ONLY be updated via thr DJI Go App now. Update the App first then power up the P3 and controller as usual and you should be prompted to update. I cannot confirm this but have a look that this thread for more info.

http://forum.dji.com/thread-30222-1-1.html

Updating the Remote Controller Firmware.

Note 1:IF you are on the 1.3.20 firmware, there is NO need to update the contorller.

Note 2: If the App always says there is an RC uodate, download firmware 1.3.20 for your particular model and use that to update the controller ONLY..

Ensure the DJI GO app has been updated to atleast v1.2.0 before updating the remote controller (preferably to the latest version available). The System Status bar in Camera View of the DJI GO App will flash several times if a firmware update is available. Follow these steps to update the firmware via the DJI GO App.

Step 1- Check Battery, Internet access and mobile device storage space.

1. The remote controller has at least 50% battery level. The mobile device should have at least 50% also.
2. Your mobile device is able to access the internet.
3. There is at least 100MB of free space on your mobile device.

Step 2- Download and Update the Firmware.

1. Go to the DJI GO App > Camera View > System Status bar > Overall Status. Tap Download the firmware update package to download and update the firmware. Track the update progress from progress bar in the DJI GO App.

The status LED on the remote controller will blink blue during update and blink green when update is complete with success.
[Insert RC Update Video Here]

2. Firmware update through the DJI GO app will not work with older versions of the remote controller firmware (below 1.3.20). If the firmware update fails, follow the instructions below to update the firmware using the traditional method:

a. Download the latest firmware package files from DJI official web site.
b. Extract all downloaded files into the root directory of an SD card or USB flash drive.
c. Turn off the remote controller, Insert the SD card into a SD card reader or the USB disk onto the remote controller USB port when remote controller.
d. Power on the remote controller and wait 60 seconds until the upgrade begins. Do not power off the remote controller during the update.
e. It will take approximately 10 minutes to complete the firmware update. The controller will sound a beeping sound and the Status LED on the remote controller shows SOLID BLUE to indicate the update is in progress. The Status LED on remote controller shows SOLID GREEN and beeping
sound will stop if the upgrade is completed with success.
f. If you do not have a SD card reader, you may insert the SD card into the gimbal and connect the gimbal with remote controller to upgrade the remote controller.

You will only be able to update the remote controller firmware through the DJI GO app from this point onwards.

Updating Intelligent Flight Battery Firmware.

IF you are on the 1.3.20 firmware, there is NO firmware update for the battery

The Intelligent Flight Battery is initially upgraded during the aircraft firmware upgrade process. It is recommended to keep the firmware file in your SD card and power on the Phantom with each battery you own. The upgrade will start automatically after power cycling the aircraft and take about 2 minutes.

The below video shows the battery updating its firmware. The gimbal light and sounds are the same as a complete firmware update during a battery update too.

Perform Calibrations.

After all the firmware updates have been completed, perform the following calibrations from within the DJI GO App.

1. Calibrate the IMU (even if the app says you don’t need to). Try to do the IMU when the Phantom is cold and on a level surface.
2. Calibrate the gimbal as soon as a successful IMU is done.
3. Calibrate the remote controller. This step is optional as the contrller will beep like mad and indicate in the App if it needs calibrating. No harm doing it though.
4. Before flight, calibrate the Compass. Make sure to do this away from metal, magnets and other ferrous thingy-ma-doodas (in a big open field with just grass).

Upgrade Notes.

a. When the update fails you will get a solid RED light and a screech hurts your head. Here is a short video showing the results of a failed update (in this case it was a corrupt BIN file)

b. Ensure there is only one firmware package file stored on your SD card at any one time.

c. Ensure you remove any gimbal lock and lens cap before powering on the Phantom.

d. Only storage devices that are formatted for FAT32 and exFAT file systems are supported for aircraft and remote controller firmware updates.

e. Ensure the internet connection of your mobile device is stable when downloading the firmware update package.

f. Turn on Airplane Mode on your mobile device before updating the firmware on the controller, as any incoming calls may disrupt the update process.

g. Do not perform firmware update while the aircraft is still flying in the air (I just cannot imagine someone even doing this).

h. Be sure to update the remote controller’s firmware to the latest version after you upgrade the aircraft’s firmware.

i. The remote controller may become unlinked from the aircraft after updating. Re-link the remote controller and aircraft.

j. Confirm the update results based on the blinking pattern of camera status indicator or gimbal sound. It is normal for the aircraft to sound or the LED to blink during the update process.

k. Always check the logs no matter if it completed or not. Subsequent restarts of the P3 with the firmare on the card will result in an "Abort" being logged saying the firmware is the same. If you get this, its likley the update went OK. Any concerns, post the logs in this or the support thread.

If after following this guide you are unable to update the firmware or are experiencing any issues, please report back in the following forum thread dedicated to the latest Firmware and App version.

2015-9-7
Use props
rodger
Captain
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great Post! Really glad I went surfing on the Forum this AM. I have a new P3 Pro that has not been updated yet and this will be very useful.
Thank you
Rodger
2015-9-7
Use props
toddberk

United States

rodger Posted at 2015-9-7 07:06
Great Post! Really glad I went surfing on the Forum this AM. I have a new P3 Pro that has not been u ...

I upgraded to the new firmware and it stopped after 25 minutes.  No blinking or anything after 25 minutes.  Checked the text file and said it wasn't complete.  Reinstalled battery and now the Phantom just loud beeps.  What should I do?
2015-9-7
Use props
sploodge
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

toddberk Posted at 2015-9-7 14:10
I upgraded to the new firmware and it stopped after 25 minutes.  No blinking or anything after 25  ...

Wait it out. If you look at the gimbal light, it will show alternating between green/red and if you listed carefully over the loud beep, you can hear the standatd DE.DE beep.
Check the update notes above, I posted a video of a failed update..
2015-9-7
Use props
Flyhigh7887
lvl.4

Sweden

man, you are on top of things.

a true asset in this community!

thanks for another useful post.
2015-9-7
Use props
rodger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

toddberk Posted at 2015-9-7 09:10
I upgraded to the new firmware and it stopped after 25 minutes.  No blinking or anything after 25  ...

You may have to wait a bit. Don't look at your watch and look for exactly 25 min. Are you getting the beeping and the LED on the Gimbal flashing? Most important and overlooked, is your Tablet up to date and firmly connected? Make sure the Controller, P3 Battery, and Tablet Battery are fully charged. Power everything off and remove the Battery from the P3. Start all over again and wait it out.
Let us know how you make out.
2015-9-7
Use props
Shutter
lvl.3

Sweden

So, I did the update and it took about 13 minutes.
But when i check the results.txt it only says "Results: Aborted .
It also says that the firmware version on the card is the same as the one already installed.

So I tried to download the 1.4 file from Dji again, and this time when i start the aircraft with the file on the card, nothing happens.

What can i do?
2015-9-7
Use props
sploodge
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Shutter Posted at 2015-9-7 16:29
But when i check the results.txt it only says "R ...

What does the log file in the hidden folder /MISC/LOG say?
2015-9-7
Use props
asfodelo42
lvl.4

Italy

sploodge Posted at 2015-9-7 17:30
What does the log file in the hidden folder /MISC/LOG say?

compliments for the valuable information.
But I still would like to upgrade the firmware 0riginale 1.1.9,
if I have to install the last update is the P3A, and also the radio radio ??
or do I upgrade from an older ??
thank you
2015-9-7
Use props
sploodge
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

asfodelo42 Posted at 2015-9-7 17:02
compliments for the valuable information.
But I still would like to upgrade the firmware 0riginale ...

If you are on 1.1.9 you will need to update the P3 AND the controller..
2015-9-7
Use props
asfodelo42
lvl.4

Italy

sploodge Posted at 2015-9-7 18:04

thanks for your answer, I have not updated until today for all the problems that created the various updates, I hope to not have to repent
2015-9-7
Use props
pstamper
lvl.1

United States

I update everything and its still not working. I don't get the option of Intelligent Flight Mode to the left of the Safe To Fly indicator!!!!!
2015-9-7
Use props
asfodelo42
lvl.4

Italy

sploodge Posted at 2015-9-7 18:04

I upgraded P3A smoothly, the radio instead does not seem to be updated, the LED is always red, you sure you're up to date on the radio even though I had the firmware 1.1.9 ????
2015-9-7
Use props
pstamper
lvl.1

United States

I figured it out. I had to change my toggle switch on my controller to the F position to get the intelligent navigation mode to show up!
2015-9-7
Use props
AlmostTan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 118665 ft
United States

I have a question, hopefully someone can answer!  I have the B controller.  During the 1.3 FW upgrade it was said that the B controller didn't need to be updated at that time.  However, I was upgrading from 1.1.9 at the time.  So my controller is currently on 1.1.9 - what it shipped with.

Now that I've upgraded my aircraft and battery FW to 1.4....is my remote ok still on 1.1.9? Or do I need to go back and put....like 1.2.7 on it? Or just listen to what the app says?
2015-9-7
Use props
bag1
lvl.1
United States

great post. thanks. Question. calibrating IMU. what are acceptable locations to do this? Inside? outside? on cement? near a house?
2015-9-7
Use props
mavs88
Captain
Flight distance : 8953215 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

-> Mr. Sploodge

Great post... all worked well. I think the Remote Control (v 1.3.20) does not need to be updated. I hope I have that right. I also inserted my 3 other batteries but I do not have the impression they were updated. Any information about that, if I may ask?

Regards,

Max

Phantom 3 Professional
Remote GL300A
Apple iPad Air WiFi
Apple iPhone 5s (as Personal Hotspot)
2015-9-7
Use props
sploodge
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

mavs88@home.nl Posted at 2015-9-7 19:56
-> Mr. Sploodge

Great post... all worked well. I think the Remote Control (v 1.3.20) does not need  ...

if you were on firmware 1.3.20 then there is no controller update and no battery update. I have edited the guide above to reflect this, thanks.
2015-9-7
Use props
j3yps
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3402 ft
Philippines

sploodge Posted at 2015-9-8 03:05
if you were on firmware 1.3.20 then there is no controller update and no battery update. I have edi ...

Thank you for posting this guide!

I updated the aircraft successfully to 1.4.0010, unfortunately i just found out that there's no need to upgrade the RC if it's already on 1.3.20.  Now after updating the aircraft, i tried to update the RC using the USB (flashdrive) method. I've used this drive before and it worked perfectly. When i inserted the flashdrive on the RC, it beeped and flashed the red light 5 times. then after that nothing.

No every time that i open my RC it always beeps and blinks the red light 5 times, correct me if i'm wrong but it doesn't do this before 1.4.0010.

Is there any way that i could fix this or this is normal with 1.4.0010?

Thanks

BTW i can interupt the beeping by moving one of the sticks, also the RC connects and controls the  aircraft fine. It's just that now whenever turn the RC on it gives me a the said problem above.

2015-9-7
Use props
mavs88
Captain
Flight distance : 8953215 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

sploodge Posted at 2015-9-7 21:05
if you were on firmware 1.3.20 then there is no controller update and no battery update. I have edi ...

perfect and BRAVO and thank you!
2015-9-7
Use props
sploodge
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

j3yps Posted at 2015-9-7 20:20
Thank you for posting this guide!

I updated the aircraft successfully to 1.4.0010, unfortunately i ...

Can you post the contents of log file in the hidden folder ( MISC/LOG )?
2015-9-7
Use props
tonymoran78
lvl.1

United States

Thank you for this, my P3A is updated and working beautifully.
2015-9-7
Use props
AerialLens
lvl.4

United States

DANG it! I need clarification about SEQUENCE of events - Not spelled out EXACTLY anywhere (?) that I can find. Maybe I am blind.

It is pure chicken and egg stuff: BEFORE ANY ATTEMPT AT FLYING (of course!) ...

Do you update to the 2.1.0 (Android) or 2.2.0 (IOS)  Go App FIRST, then do the Firmware?
-OR-
Do you update the Firmware FIRST, then do the App?
-OR-
Does it make no difference at all?

I happen to have an Android device. I do know that the microSD card needs to formatted first, with any Pilot or Go App you happen to have on your device (then the App is to be uninstalled before the new one), but I don't see if the sequence is then to be FW-then-App, or App-then-FW.

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere, or if DUMB question.
2015-9-7
Use props
sploodge
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AerialLens Posted at 2015-9-7 22:18
DANG it! I need clarification about SEQUENCE of events - Not spelled out EXACTLY anywhere (?) that I ...

makes no difference..
2015-9-7
Use props
dmoerman
lvl.1

United States

Hello.  am I and everyone else in the universe trying to download stuff from dji at this moment??  I cant get anything to download (except the instricttions </irony off>  Nothing happening there at all. "Waiting for available socket.." -- this to download the release note!  
2015-9-7
Use props
EL SID
lvl.3

United States

Good info.
Upgraded with no issues.

One question?
How do you check the verison of the RC?

Headed out to that a test flight,will check back.

Thanks,
2015-9-7
Use props
sploodge
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

EL SID Posted at 2015-9-7 22:57
Good info.
Upgraded with no issues.

In the App's "about" section ( screenshot is last firmware, it says RC version now )
35-General-Settings-About.jpg
2015-9-7
Use props
Southernflyer
New

United States

I loaded the update onto the card, put it in the slot and turned the P3P on but the light on the gimbal remainns red and the front lights are red and the rear lights pulse white.  What am I doing wrong?

2015-9-7
Use props
EL SID
lvl.3

United States

Southernflyer Posted at 2015-9-7 15:04
I loaded the update onto the card, put it in the slot and turned the P3P on but the light on the gim ...

Make sure you unziped the file and that you moved it to the main (root) directory of your micro sd card.
2015-9-7
Use props
paulswem
lvl.1
Flight distance : 157392 ft
United States

pstamper@nomaco Posted at 2015-9-7 13:19
I update everything and its still not working. I don't get the option of Intelligent Flight Mode to  ...

Well - I thought I was the only crazy person in the world.

I have a solution to your problem, maybe.  

I spent 4 hours trying firmware upgrade upon firmware upgrade.  I went through ALL of the steps mentioned, then would drive out to a clear field to test the results - NOTHING.

I couldn't see that extra menu.

So I had to isolate the variables, as the scientists say.

Three things effect the ability of the app to see that extra, new menue:
1) updated P3 firmware
2) updated controller firmware....
and
3) iOS app 2.2.0

At last, at my wits end, I deleted the app off my iPad, reinstalled it from the cloud, and after that initial walk through and hardware choice (Inspire or Phantom 3), I was IN.

Even though the app would always show the correct iOS app version - it would NOT show the correct P3 or controller versions in the Help-->About

Now, with the reinstall, it does.

Good luck and safe flying.

2015-9-7
Use props
nsvr66
Ban Posts
Flight distance : 84347 ft
United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-9-7
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
First Officer
Flight distance : 692090 ft
  • >>>
United States

After uploading the bin file to card, inserted in P3P, turn on battery, light on gimbal stays green?
2015-9-7
Use props
christopher.stu
New

United States

I have phantom pro 3 which i update the firmware on as well as the IOS app. how and where do i find the new features please?

2015-9-7
Use props
mikedaniels
lvl.3
Flight distance : 48986 ft
United States

i updated to the dji go app v 2.2 on my ipad air v 8.4. it looks like it finished downloading and is showing on the ipad screen, it won't open?
2015-9-7
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

LICENSED PILOT Posted at 2015-9-8 08:56
After uploading the bin file to card, inserted in P3P, turn on battery, light on gimbal stays green?

never mind, unzip to wrong place. light is blinking red and green now.
2015-9-7
Use props
onefastracer
lvl.1

United States

LICENSED PILOT Posted at 2015-9-7 19:56

+2
I'm going thru the same scenario.  Followed directions step by step and all i see is!.. solid green light.

SOMEBODY HELP US..
2015-9-7
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

onefastracer Posted at 2015-9-8 09:55
+2
I'm going thru the same scenario.  Followed directions step by step and all i see is!.. solid g ...

ensure you unzip the zip file first, after unzipping then upload the .bin file to the sd card and  to the P3P.
2015-9-7
Use props
rodger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Shutter Posted at 2015-9-7 11:29
But when i check the results.txt it only says "R ...

Start with a fresh card. are you removing the Text Files? If not, you should. They can foul the process up.
2015-9-8
Use props
rodger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

bag1 Posted at 2015-9-7 14:54
great post. thanks. Question. calibrating IMU. what are acceptable locations to do this? Inside? out ...

I do mine on the Garage Cement Floor. The Quad should be level. You only have  be outside with no metal objects around to Calibrate the Compass.
2015-9-8
Use props
New

United States

With the 1.4 firmware on the card (and in the quad) will it install the 1.3 firmware on the batteries?
2015-9-8
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules