Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LICENSED PILOT
Second Officer
Flight distance : 692090 ft
  • >>>
United States

http://www.cio.com/article/29798 ... -to-its-drones.html

"The update, which will be available on Sept. 7, comes as the drone industry is looking to make the craft easier and safer to fly to attract more novice users.
The new flight modes take some of the complexity out of flying and will be available for the Phantom 3 and Inspire 1.

They include:
•Waypoints - Likened to a co-pilot, the drone will automatically fly to a series of set waypoints in the sky at a customizable speed. The angle of the camera can be adjusted while on the flight and, once done, the precise flight can be saved so it can be repeated with the same waypoints and camera angles."
2015-9-4
Use props
ag0n
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

THAT'S! what we need... more novice users!!!
2015-9-4
Use props
Rigworker
lvl.4
Flight distance : 52303 ft
Canada

I can see people setting waypoints and not thinking about what is between them and the waypoint. After the crash, they will want DJI to warranty the bird.Same thing with follow me as they walk under some power lines or a bridge.

Going to be entertaining the next while.
2015-9-4
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Rigworker Posted at 2015-9-5 10:30
I can see people setting waypoints and not thinking about what is between them and the waypoint. Aft ...

So what's the scoop? is there an upgrade for the P3P with waypoints?
2015-9-4
Use props
Flight Raptor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

LICENSED PILOT Posted at 2015-9-5 10:34

Hmmm...find your question very interesting considering your post above clearly says available September 7th....today is Sept 4th.
2015-9-4
Use props
Rigworker
lvl.4
Flight distance : 52303 ft
Canada

LICENSED PILOT Posted at 2015-9-4 20:34

No scoop. Been on the forum all day. You mentioned waypoints in your initial post
2015-9-4
Use props
nofearmx
lvl.3

United States

I think the fact that you have to fly the waypoint manually first is a safety thing... so that people don't just plug them in and poppas there was a building in the middle kind of deal... I don't see the appeal of any of it but do understand why they would want you to fly it amenably first... my two cents
2015-9-4
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Flight Raptor Posted at 2015-9-5 11:14
Hmmm...find your question very interesting considering your post above clearly says available Sept ...

Thank you, yes, I can read a calendar. This is DJI's forum I would expect something direct from them.
2015-9-4
Use props
HunterBrooks
lvl.4

United States

Way-point flying is really about Mapping, Surveillance and Search & Rescue flying.  Anything that requires flying alone a precise grid, especially if the same grid needs to be flown repeatedly over a period of time.  Other than that, I think the average "pilot" type of P3 owner will get very bored very quickly.
2015-9-4
Use props
brycerichert
lvl.3
United States

I agree that the follow me will get a lot of users in trouble.
2015-9-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Are we there yet?

Hey, Who's driving this ship...? Oh yeah @DJI.
I think we will find out, much more on Monday September 7 Labor Day.
We will be whiling away, working on my Phantom 3, after her firmware updates and new improved app installation.
Flying through several sets of batteries, and having a ball.

RedHotPoker
2015-9-5
Use props
gary.masson
lvl.3
Spain

It's all about priorities isn't it? If filming is the priority, then waypoints and other automated aids takes the pressure of the videographer leaving him/her to concentrate on getting the shot.  If one wants to fly for fun, then less automation is ideal because the pilot is in almost total control and fly his ass off all day; and to hell with filming!
Personally, I bought the Phantom for filming because I love the different perspectives I can get and welcome the new upgrades.  I do love flying the thing though
2015-9-5
Use props
kalber
lvl.1

United States

Finally, I have successfully implemented waypoints for the P3P.

After much trial and error I was able to put together the correct combination of SDK and firmware; which is the "secret sauce".

I've used the SDK 2.3 Demo App to start, takeoff, set waypoints, save waypoints to disk, upload waypoints, fly the waypoints and land - all hands free.

The ticket, again, is the combination of firmware installed on the P3P and associated RC (this is vital).

When I installed the latest Beta (developer) firmware version, 1.04.0005 (8/24), all functionality for the SDK Ground Station lit up like a Christmas tree in the APP; which is required for waypoints.

But, the latest beta firmware (dated 8/24) must ONLY be installed on the P3P craft (and batteries), NOT on the RC. The RC must remain on an older firmware release version 1.2.6 (or older). I know this because we have two sets of P3P. The last set was upgraded with the latest firmware on the RC and the ground station would not open; while the first RC, fortunately, was on an older firmware version and the ground station opened flawlessly.

Keep in mind, the new GO App will flash the RC with the latest firmware if connected to the internet.

For the Ground Station to accept a command (i.e. open ground station), the craft must be powered on and connected to the RC; and, the craft must be ready to fly (e.g. GPS ready).

You will know when waypoints are available when the Ground Station opens with result message of Open Success. When the GS is opened, waypoints can be uploaded, etc.

This is for the Android V2.3 demo app with Level 2 developer capabilities and key. And, keep in mind waypoints will only work (as mentioned by DJI) when the RC (ground station) is set to the "F" mode; not, "A" as in previous firmware.
2015-9-5
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430686 ft
United States

LICENSED PILOT Posted at 2015-9-4 23:45
Thank you, yes, I can read a calendar. This is DJI's forum I would expect something direct from th ...

The statement "DJI and expect more" is a contradiction in terms....
2015-9-5
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

HunterBrooks Posted at 2015-9-5 13:53
Way-point flying is really about Mapping, Surveillance and Search & Rescue flying.  Anything that re ...

you are correct. Do keep in mind that some of us utilize the P3P in a business and waypoints are integral to the mission. Manual mapping is tiresome.
2015-9-5
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

kalber Posted at 2015-9-5 22:58
Finally, I have successfully implemented waypoints for the P3P.

After much trial and error I was ab ...

Kudos to you. Doesn't do much for the rest of us, though
2015-9-5
Use props
kalber
lvl.1

United States

LICENSED PILOT Posted at 2015-9-5 11:20
Kudos to you. Doesn't do much for the rest of us, though

Yes. I agree, if the "rest of us" consists of non-developers.

But, I'm sure there is more than one developer that would be happy to hear the news. And, it may just indicate that DJI is ready to move the firmware to "release".

So, be happy.
2015-9-5
Use props
capbat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 54905 ft
  • >>>
Canada

LICENSED PILOT Posted at 2015-9-4 22:34

Next Monday they say.
2015-9-5
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

kalber Posted at 2015-9-6 02:40
Yes. I agree, if the "rest of us" consists of non-developers.

But, I'm sure there is more than on ...

I am, thanks.
2015-9-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules