Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Calling all P3 fliers with more than 100 flights.
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
liningiv
Second Officer
Flight distance : 329409 ft
United Kingdom

I have been involved in the maintenance and design of Aircraft aiframes and Aero engines for all of my working career.  One tool that is in constant use is called Health and Usage Monitoring system HUMs.  This is where each aircraft and engine has each of it's flights, duration and fatigue recorded over it's entire life.  These figures are used to continuously compare the predicted life of the airframe and components with the actual life recorded in the real life usage, so that the two can be correlated and confidence in the systems for life monitoring can be improved and refined.  

DJI has provided us with the starting point for a similar study on our P3s,  i.e. Flights, Total flight duration, and distance flown all all recorded on the GO! App.
To this we could collectively add our own experiences of failures.  This list could contain the following:  
Body cracks ( lower body to upper).
Body Cracks ( lower body to motors).
Landing gear cracks.
Props broken or cracked, or replaced.
Failure of motors.
Failure of ESC.
Failure of Camera.
Failure of Gimbal.
Failure of SD card.
Failure of contoller.

Battery life.

Also conditions of flight could be recorded such as coastal, mountainous, desert, mixed.
Minor crashes.
And ultimately, and sadly, fatal crashes.

If all successful pilots with over 100 flights, this number will indicate that you have no tree magnetism, nor suffer from the did not RTFM affliction, would be willing to send me thier data to include the above, and then update their usage every 25 flights, we could collectively and over time build up a database of when, if ever, we could expect any failures, or if there is no pattern of say a motor burning out after 450 flights or 300 miles of flight, that would give us a collective warm feeling about the design and reliability of our craft.  If on the other hand most people who attain 600 flights have problems with ESC or battery down to 40% max, then this could be a good indication to the whole community of what to expect if you are approaching these milestones.

I can start the ball rolling with my own figures:
Flights 112
Time 14 hr 42 min
Distance 84 Km.

Faults.
Single crack to lower body to upper body screw hole after 74 flights.

If anyone thinks of any more failure modes or a different way we can record this then please comment.
Perhaps P3 Serial numbers, and date of purchase could also support a trend, if one exists.
I have posted a template for any users with 100+ flights to use if they are interested in this excersise.

Thanks for you time.

2015-9-5
Use props
jimcloud74
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

Arrived 4/2015

3 batteries used (50 flights on original and 25 each on the newer ones. All health at 100% still but I can note that 1 of the new batteries has minor voltage fluctuations and the other 2 don't)
9 hours total flight time
70 miles total distance
100 flights

No cracks. No damages that I can find. I have used several different sets of propellers with no problem. My VPS didn't like FW 1.2.6. All was corrected with 1.3.2. Overall I am very happy with this model and look forward to some of the new feature soon to be released.
2015-9-5
Use props
rayrokni
Captain
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

285 Flights
55 hours 50mins.
360Miles
4 batteries, all at 100% life
mountainous area, flat lands, beach.
90 degree farenheit, %hell humidity, strongest wind 20mph
present P3P = no shell cracks, no screw well cracks, 100% solid.
1 drop from 30' due to inadvertently doing a CSC. busted gimbal, landing gear, shell screw cracks.
painted this one black, repaired and flies rock solid. now passed on to my 11 year old kid.
2nd p3= 1 crash at 20mph, low flying, ground came up and i didnt. no damage, but replaced props. 2nd crash at 3' into a tree @ less than 5mph. no damage, but replaced props.

routine daily checks:
motors
all screws
every inch of shell is checked
battery housing and clips are checked
props under a microscope and the threads
motor threads
all visible ribbon cables and wires
battery life, cell variations

chks b4 flights:
chk compass mod values, i do not calibrate compass. ive calibrated it once after fw update and have travelled 1000 miles to the beach and flew without compass calibration but i religiously double check p3 compass bearing using a manual compass.
battery and cells
10+ satellites b4 take off
home point b4 take off
wind speed and direction
tallest object in flight path
cell and radio towers around flight paths
electrical, telephone lines that are difficult to see
where to drop it if in an emergency
hover at 30' for  a few minutes while testing all stick movements at 100%

i am sure ive forgotten to write down a few more
it sounds like a lot preflight but it doesnt take but it takes less than 5 minutes.

2015-9-5
Use props
jimcloud74
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-9-6 12:04
285 Flights
55 hours 50mins.
360Miles

Nope Ray, I think that about covers it. ;) you should be the DJI Cover boy! (Share it with Sploodge though)
2015-9-5
Use props
rayrokni
Captain
United States

jimcloud74@yaho Posted at 2015-9-6 12:15
Nope Ray, I think that about covers it. ;) you should be the DJI Cover boy! (Share it with Sploodg ...

lol, you too? eveyone is ragging on me, its not nice to make fun of the elderly!!LOL.
thanks jim
2015-9-5
Use props
fvillanueva
lvl.1

United States

91 flight
2015-9-5
Use props
Willie Wonka
First Officer

United States

by the time i reach 100 flights the phantom of the opera 4 would have arrived.
2015-9-5
Use props
liningiv
Second Officer
United Kingdom

rayrokni Posted at 2015-9-6 05:04
285 Flights
55 hours 50mins.
360Miles

Thanks for your reply Ray, but it looks like there is little to no interest in this, so I'll not continue.
Cheers.
2015-9-6
Use props
Willie Wonka
First Officer

United States

liningiv Posted at 2015-9-6 11:35
Thanks for your reply Ray, but it looks like there is little to no interest in this, so I'll not c ...

Yeah most people do not do accounting and statistics like the few of us do, it's personal preference and the culprit is always an ESC as second place then first place is human error in crashes, and the ESC fused to the main board, so it's a loosing battle.
2015-9-6
Use props
rayrokni
Captain
United States

liningiv Posted at 2015-9-6 23:35
Thanks for your reply Ray, but it looks like there is little to no interest in this, so I'll not c ...

well give it time, sometimes it takes a while for the thread to become alive.
but i for one think it is a good idea you have
2015-9-6
Use props
Maui Aerial Ima
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2671102 ft
United States

P3 Pro STOCK No Mods
207 Flights  
5 batteries all at 100%
27 hours of Flight Time
1,374,566ft or 260 miles
Minimum 17-20 Sattelites
Tropical Zone
Land, Sea, Mountains,
ALL flights in Hawai'i
Longest Flight, 3.1 miles out and return for 6.2 miles
No Cracks, No Worries, No Problems, No Crashses
Just an Amazing Aircraft and an Amazing Amount of Fun, Thanks DJI
2015-9-6
Use props
PerlanSwed
First Officer
Flight distance : 962208 ft
Sweden

P3P
104 Flights
18 Hr 18 min
77 319m
No crashes but one screw crack found on the pre-flight for the 100:th flight.
2015-9-6
Use props
Swedrone
Captain
Flight distance : 14066975 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Flights 107
Time 21 hrs 27 min
Distance 198 448 m

Mixed flying from calm to 12 m/s wind.
Sunny, cloudy and rainy.
Ground start and hand catched landings
Decreased gain on the airbrake.
DJI carbon reinforced propellers
Cheap but very nice chineese 50$ camo backpack from eBay
1 extra battery
IPad Air 2 with the short 50 cm Apple lightning cable
DJI ND8 glass filter

Everything works as expected
2015-9-6
Use props
amstaff_loyalty
lvl.1
Flight distance : 546752 ft
Sweden

P3 Adv.
223 Flights
4 batteries all at 100%
20hr 13min hours of Flight Time
196 630km
Land, Sea, Mountains, Indoors

No Cracks, No Worries, No Problems, No Crashses
2015-9-6
Use props
aburkefl
First Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-9-6 12:21
well give it time, sometimes it takes a while for the thread to become alive.
but i for one think  ...

It would be a terrific idea is this information was collected automatically (gathered and sent to the cloud). Otherwise there's no way you can alert every owner as to how valuable this information could be. Consequently, thousands of owners will/would never be aware of the data and how it could be used to identify problems, maintenance, etc.

Personally, I think data collection works far better if, instead of paying $1,000 for your gadget, you paid $30,000 - I'll be there'd be a higher participation rate!
2015-9-6
Use props
Flyhigh7887
lvl.4

Sweden

amstaff_loyalty Posted at 2015-9-6 23:06
P3 Adv.
223 Flights
4 batteries all at 100%

my flight stats:
Flight TIme:  just over 9 hours
Total Distance: 90582 meters
Total Flights: 116

No cracks
No firmware issues that were noticeable (and I have run through them all)
Only tumbled her through the grass once trying to be crafty, only grass stains as a result.
3 batteries, all still in tip-top shape
she's been flown in Sweden & Ukraine, so far. (very varied environments in both- an amazing thunderstorm before the rain started, mountains, over water, heat, humidity. so on, so forth...)

hope the info is helpful to someone.

amstaff - you must have THE distance records of all time. If my calcs are correct, you are averaging 881+- kilometers per flight!!!

I'm thinking that must be the distance in meters!!?
2015-9-7
Use props
polmuir
lvl.1
Flight distance : 603825 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

158 Flights
15hr 44min
65 miles
5 batteries, all at 97-100% life
mountainous area, flat lands, beach, sea, forrest, lakes
12-22C
Wind 0-18Mph
1 x P3P no shell cracks
2 crashes due to user error/stupidity.  Props replaced after both crashes.
1 emergency  landing, 300m from home point, after battery life dropping to 10% due to head winds in return to home.
2015-9-7
Use props
Don Loftus
lvl.4

United States

I like this thread!  I have been looking at the phantom 3 Pro since it came out but have held off until the bugs get worked out.  It seems like DJI used its customers as beta testers!  It's good to see people who are really getting good service from their Phantoms.  Now with the new features added, it looks like the time is right.  Thanks to all who have posted, you are confidance builders.
2015-9-7
Use props
jserra
New
Flight distance : 615335 ft
United States

I'm only at 36 flights, 45.6 km, 6 hr 35 mn, but I like the idea of being part of such a data base. So far no damage, cracks, ect. Original props, never did anything unexpected, always land on the same 2 sq ft section of my deck.
2015-9-7
Use props
liningiv
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Hi Chaps.
I now have data for 10 users, so thanks to the first adopters.  If you have managed to get this far congratulations.
The PDF shows the fleet leaders, average time per flight, average distance per flight.  Which is the only thing I can extract from the data that I have.
The most important thing I can see is that there are no mechanical or electrical problems so far, apart from the 2 shell cracks reported.
Fingers crossed that it stays this way.  As the flight numbers rise, we may get a trend or hopefully have a real nice warm feeling that the P3 is utterly reliable.From the normal forum posts we read about lots of crashes and firmware issues, but if you can avoid these, then 200+ flights are achiveable.

Please see the following Spreadsheet in PDF format for the data so far.
If you notice that data is missing from your row, will you please let me have the figures, and I will enter them.  Also when you reach the next milestone, i.e.125, 150, 175, 200 etc will you please advise me with the new flights/hours/dist data, and of course if you have any failures before these milestones let me know too.
If anyone else has achieved the magic 100 flight milestone and wants to share share thier data, please reply to this thread.  The more data we collect, the more accurate will be the predictions and growth in confidence in our P3s.  

Please see a couple of posts down for a blank from which will allow you to copy and paste to your post to help with the data collection, thanks to Rocket for this idea.

Thanks.

DJI P3 Stats.pdf

31.37 KB, Down times: 27

2015-9-8
Use props
liningiv
Second Officer
United Kingdom

rayrokni Posted at 2015-9-6 05:04
285 Flights
55 hours 50mins.
360Miles

Hi Ray,
I have put the result of the first 10 replies to my post on this thread.  In .pdf format.
From the stats that you supplied I can't determine how many hours/miles etc are applicable to your main P3P and how many are applicable to your BlackBird.  Can you please let me know, And if you see missing data from your row can you please let me know the data.
I'm (well the whole group really) is interested in the data per P3 model, not necessarily your personal totals.  Thanks.
2015-9-8
Use props
Rocket_Aus
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1526929 ft
Australia

liningiv Posted at 2015-9-8 21:13
Hi Ray,
I have put the result of the first 10 replies to my post on this thread.  In .pdf format.
F ...

Great thread but could you perhaps have a post that we can just copy and paste with a standardized method it would also help you collate the info much quicker.What do you think...something like this>
Bird =
Flights=
Flight Time=
Distance Flown=
ect ect ect
That way we could just copy and paste in a  new msg easily and fill the info out.
2015-9-8
Use props
liningiv
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Rocket_Aus Posted at 2015-9-8 13:40
Great thread but could you perhaps have a post that we can just copy and paste with a standardized ...

Thanks Rocket.
Good Idea.

So please find template for data which you can cut and paste into your reply:

User Name               
Model P3P P3A P3S              
Date delivered
Total flights
Hours flown
Distance in Km or Miles
FW Number and flight updated  i.e.        1.04.0010  flight 195

Concerns:  Please enter flight number that concern happened, i.e. flight 76
Cracks lower body to top
Cracks Lower body to motors
Cracks Landing Gear
Props broken/cracked
Motor failure
ESC failure
Camera failure
Gimbal failure
SD card Failure
Controller failure
Battery Qty
Battery life

Minor crash
Fatal crash

Remarks.

Safe flying......
2015-9-8
Use props
rayrokni
Captain
United States

liningiv Posted at 2015-9-8 07:13
Hi Ray,
F ...

the black bird has:
46 flights
7hrs
47miles
one csc midflight: landing gear bent, but still usable. gimble bent but still usable. i flew the bird for a while using the same landing gear and gimbal.
no shell cracks prior to accident. after the crash, one shell screw hole got cracked and eventually broke off
2015-9-8
Use props
liningiv
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Thanks Ray, so all the data you first posted was applicable to your current undamaged P3P?
2015-9-8
Use props
innovativethink
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

I would suggest creating a simple form on a web page that lists each of the metrics you are trying to gather.   If not, your responses will not be uniform, IMHO.

If you want to do this and need help with it please let me know.  I use the free website builder weebly.com, the results can be viewed and downloaded in excel format.
2015-9-8
Use props
liningiv
Second Officer
United Kingdom

innovativethink Posted at 2015-9-8 17:09
I would suggest creating a simple form on a web page that lists each of the metrics you are trying t ...

Hi Inovative,
Thanks for your response and offer of help.
Yes if you can do this for me will be good.

If you look at the above posts you will see the information I require so if these could be included in your form, then why not.

Look forward to your post.  Cheers.
2015-9-8
Use props
Don Loftus
lvl.4

United States

liningiv Posted at 2015-9-8 12:23
Hi Inovative,
Thanks for your response and offer of help.
Yes if you can do this for me will be go ...

Just bringing this topic back to the top.  Looking for more responses.
2015-9-21
Use props
Sir Edward K
Second Officer

United States

P3 Pro purchased August 11,
Just at 100 flights.

100 flights
10.9 Hours.
41.9 Miles (I do a lot of hovering photography)

2 original Batteries and one is still at 100% and the other is at 99%  both batteries still maintain constant/consistent voltage between cells.
1 new Battery  

Faults: No problems found to date (no cracks etc found yet).
I had one instance where it seemed like the GPS was not functioning correctly as it was flying opposite of where I was heading when it took off and I switched to atti mode to save it and brought it right back to me.  Not sure what that was but it has never happened again.   

Central Illinois weather (very humid and hot in summer) Flat Timbered areas, corn and bean fields and ruraly subdivisions.

2015-9-27
Use props
capbat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 54905 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Model P3P P3S              
Date delivered August 24, 2015 - September 1, 2015
Total flights:80
Hours flown:11h 17m 15s
Distance in Km or Miles: 15.4Km
FW Number and flight updated  i.e.        1.04.0010

Concerns:  Please enter flight number that concern happened, i.e.
Cracks lower body to top:N/A
Cracks Lower body to motors:N/A
Cracks Landing Gear:N/A
Props broken/cracked:N/A
Motor failure:N/A
ESC failure:N/A
Camera failure:N/A
Gimbal failure:N/A
SD card Failure:N/A
Controller failure:N/A
Battery Qty: 2
Battery life: 100% Both

Minor crash:N/A
Fatal crash:N/A

Remarks.Only problem I had was to uscrew UV filter on the PRO one. Took me about a month.

2015-9-27
Use props
liningiv
Second Officer
United Kingdom

capbat Posted at 2015-9-27 18:23
Model P3P P3S              
Date delivered August 24, 2015 - September 1, 2015
Total flights:80

Hi capbat.
Thanks for your figures.  Can you please split the figures between each P3 that you own, then I can add your data.
I am more interested in the reliability of the machines rather that the skill of the pilot.  Although without the skill of the pilot there is no need for reliability of the craft.
Thanks.
2015-9-28
Use props
liningiv
Second Officer
United Kingdom

To all who have responded here is the latest data that I have.
Good news is that of the 10 people who have responded there have been no reliability issues with the machines or electronics.  Just 2 cracked bodies.
If you have recorded more flights (in multiples of 25 flights) since you reported last, can you please update me so I can keep this databoth up to date and relevant.
Thanks all.

DJI P3 Stats Sept 2015.pdf

33.59 KB, Down times: 5

2015-9-28
Use props
capbat
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

liningiv Posted at 2015-9-28 09:51
Hi capbat.
Thanks for your figures.  Can you please split the figures between each P3 that you own ...

Hi liningiv.
These are all the figures for my P3P the P3S is on a different HealthyDrone Account. Only had 3 flights with the Standard.
2015-9-28
Use props
liningiv
Second Officer
United Kingdom

capbat Posted at 2015-9-28 18:06
Hi liningiv.
These are all the figures for my P3P the P3S is on a different HealthyDrone Account.  ...

Thanks Cap,
I'll add your figures to the database.
Can you please update when you have another 25 flights under your belt.
2015-9-28
Use props
capbat
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

liningiv Posted at 2015-9-28 14:09
Thanks Cap,
I'll add your figures to the database.
Can you please update when you have another 25  ...

Sure Wildo.
2015-9-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules