Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Firmware 1.4 new no fly around stadiums
2422 19 2015-9-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jmull
New

United States

Just installed the new 1.4 firmware - it seems DJI has added no fly zones around stadiums.  My understanding is the FAA has restriction flights in these zones ONLY when the stadium is occupied.  Having a full time no fly zone in the app seems like a big problem (I'm located near a stadium, so fly regularly when it is not occupied).  

Has anyone else noticed this and tried to fly in these areas?  I will get out and try it tonight.  

2015-9-8
Use props
Spankybear
Second Officer
Flight distance : 685089 ft
United States

I am OK with this... Keep the stupids at bay
2015-9-8
Use props
Gabe R
Second Officer

United States

Spankybear Posted at 2015-9-8 12:15

I agree, its better to have this in place now. It only makes DJI look better. jmull looks like you'll just need to look for another place to fly.
2015-9-8
Use props
Willie Wonka
First Officer

United States

I think stadiums are off limits occupied or not. Correct me if you can.
2015-9-8
Use props
jmull
New

United States

Willie Wonka Posted at 2015-9-8 13:30
I think stadiums are off limits occupied or not. Correct me if you can.

All just to be clear - I'm fine with the stadiums being off limits.  But I'm more than 0.5miles away, and it is still creating a no fly zone.  

The goal here is not to fly near the stadium.  The goal is to fly near my home.
2015-9-8
Use props
Willie Wonka
First Officer

United States

jmull@keytechin Posted at 2015-9-8 13:33
All just to be clear - I'm fine with the stadiums being off limits.  But I'm more than 0.5miles aw ...

Oh wow you live that close to it,  i am sorry for you.
2015-9-8
Use props
jmull
New

United States

jmull@keytechin Posted at 2015-9-8 13:33
All just to be clear - I'm fine with the stadiums being off limits.  But I'm more than 0.5miles aw ...

Also to be clear, here is the FAA text:

FDC 9/5151, issued under 14 CFR 99.7 on "Special Security Instructions," restricts flight over stadiums during Major League Baseball (MLB), National Football League (NFL) regular season, NCAA football, and motor speedway events. The so-called "stadium TFR" prohibits all aircraft and parachute operations at or below 3,000 AGL within a 3 nm radius of any stadium with a seating capacity of 30,000 or more people when there is an MLB game, regular or post-season NFL game, NCAA Division I football game, or major motor speedway event occurring. This TFR applies to the entire US domestic national airspace system, and takes effect from one hour before the scheduled event time until one hour after the event concludes.

You'll note it only applies one hour before until one hour after.
2015-9-8
Use props
bjpcaltech
lvl.1

United States

jmull@keytechin Posted at 2015-9-8 10:38

FDC 9/5151, issued under 14 CFR 99.7 on "Special Security ...

I'm very interested in this also as one of the really great places to fly near me is the field and parking lot adjacent to the Rose Bowl in Pasadena.  A full-time no-fly zone would make this firmware upgrade a no-go for me.
2015-9-8
Use props
SpunOne69
lvl.4

United States

If I knew that, i would have flew over the 49ers PRE-season game...ha ha ha
2015-9-8
Use props
L8again
lvl.4

Canada

I imagine there was no way for DJI to keep turning NFZ's on and off, so took the only way they could to keep their product from making headlines by unexpected drop ins.
2015-9-8
Use props
Willie Wonka
First Officer

United States

jmull@keytechin Posted at 2015-9-8 13:38

FDC 9/5151, issued under 14 CFR 99.7 on "Special Security ...

Thanks for clearing things up. Here I come local stadium.  
2015-9-8
Use props
Darmie
Flight distance : 1360899 ft
United States

What is that large blue circle around Washington?

http://flysafe.dji.com/no-fly

Interesting enough, there's no data to back up that circle. There are smaller circles inside.
2015-9-15
Use props
ronyochum.mac
New

United States

This is a serious problem because:
1.  The no-fly zones around stadiums are absolutely too big.  In Pittsburgh, the no-fly zones wipe-out several communities, parks, and legitimate areas to fly.  They need to be shrunk to about half the size.  TOO BIG.
2.  The no-fly zones are not in-compliance with the Federal guidelines.  The guidelines clearly state that the no-fly zones are DURING GAMES.  But DJI has taken it upon themselves to ban flight AT ALL TIMES.
3.  There is no graduated elevation in the no-fly zone, as there is in the Airport ones.  
4.  DJI posts no information on the effects of flying into one of these zones.  I don't want my drone dropping out of the sky and into the river.
2015-10-6
Use props
suhailimtiaz
lvl.1

United States

Jmull, have you tried switching to Atti Mode?  
2015-10-6
Use props
Rigworker
First Officer
Flight distance : 52303 ft
Canada

Darmie Posted at 2015-9-15 10:47
What is that large blue circle around Washington?

http://flysafe.dji.com/no-fly

LOL. How do you buys ever get off the ground in the USA?
https://m.imgur.com/TEYQWaK

Dont know how to load the actual picture.
Tried link, got above
2015-10-6
Use props
launchpad72
lvl.1

United States

I have never updated my firmware. Do not see a reason to at all. My DJI flys perfect and don't have any of these issues. Stability is fine and the no fly zones do not effect me. Heck my RC field is within 4nm of an AF base which is 100% legal based on pre-AMA agreements with them. The software would ground me not knowing the local agreement in place.
2015-10-6
Use props
doowta5
New

United States

Anybody else notice the stadiums listed are only NFL and MLB stadiums in the United States. I'm just trying to say the largest stadiums in the United States are college football stadiums and none of them are no fly zones. Something tells me we're all missing something here. Could it possibly be pressure from the NFL and MLB towards DJI? They're picking and choosing what to block makes absolutely zero sense.
2015-10-9
Use props
gregg1r
First Officer

United States

doowta5@gmail.c Posted at 2015-10-10 00:28
Anybody else notice the stadiums listed are only NFL and MLB stadiums in the United States. I'm just ...

The FAA has decreed that there will be no overflights of stadiums seating more than 30,000 people, one hour before to one hour after game time.

DJI was in a situation where their products were used in violation of the NFZ. It is a rather recognizable shape.

DJI did a blanket ban on flying all of the DJI product line 24/7 around any NFL or MLB stadium. They have since gone back and are supposed to adjust the time and distance constraints.

As for college stadiums? How many colleges are there in the USA? How many of those stadiums seat 30,000 or more (the FAA requirement for no fly)? Add all of these areas together and you might as well just program the product line as to where it can fly verses not fly.

DJI's lawyer made a posting here last week that they DJI was supposed to fix the stadium no fly zones, soon.  http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... D235%26typeid%3D235

This announcement also happens to coincide with the NFL getting their 333 exemption and being limited to only flying the Inspire1 and the Phantom2 quads.  
2015-10-14
Use props
vazarc
New

Portugal

hello I'm from Portugal, I came across this these days, though he was not there any game and he has not let me go closer, I did not want to go to the stadium, just wanted to shoot some stuff in there close, other buildings, another thing that I think is bad, it started down automatically, should not do that, but should not move forward but never fall

I have confirmed that no, there was not going to be yoke or not makes no difference, because it is difficult to DJI, knowing at all stages of the world, where there will be play or not and at what time. should reduce the distance, I agree that not fly in stadiums, for me was lay them all down
2015-12-17
Use props
rodger
Captain
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Spankybear Posted at 2015-9-8 11:15

I am fine with it as well. Can the area be entered by using the Disclaimer?
2015-12-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules