New F-Modes & RTH (a bit of manual confusion)
1162 4 2015-9-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sir Edward K
lvl.4

United States

I have been using the new flight modes (POI and Waypoints) when it has not been RAINING! and this morning I started thinking about f-mode and I remembered reading somewhere in (yes I RTFM) the manual or the quick start guide that there was someting about the f-mode and RTH is not available in F-mode.   So I looked it up in the Quick Start Guide and sure enough it says RTH not available in f-mode.  But the new flight modes have some reminders on what to do.
So....  Just thought I would remind everyone if the signal is lost during an f-mode funtion that this is what will happen (so always plan for this!)

1) Follow me is configured to just land at its last reported (mobile device) GPS location on loss of signal.  I cannot verify this one I can't test it.  In the simulator it shows Home Point or current position and I cannot make it move from current position.  But I don't have GPS on my device now.  Can someone confirm if it will return to home as an option or will it just land at current postion.

2) On signal loss POI will continue to run until low battery then it will either Return to Home or land at current position (depending on whether you set it to Hover or Return to Home during the setup of that function).  

3) Waypoints will either Hover or Return to Home.   It specifies that it will finish its mission even on signal loss and will do either of those two options when you are setting up that function.  If it is set to Hover and signal loss occurs then it will wait until low battery initiates the a landing.

The main thing is that signal loss does not affect POI and Waypoints at all only low battery!

2015-9-12
Use props
ingsoc75
lvl.1

United States

I tried Follow Me in the car (with my wife driving).

As soon as the the car got too far away, I got a lost GPS signal warning and the P3 just hovers in place.

If you get too far away and your remote gives you a signal lost, the P3 will automatically land where it is hovering. In my case, the P3 was hovering over a soybean filed and landed in it!

Fortunately I had a Trackimo GPS device and I was able to wade through the knee high plants and found it.

There may be a setting to make it RTH in the place you started but if not, make sure it's hovering over an empty football field of something!
2015-9-12
Use props
Sir Edward K
lvl.4

United States

ingsoc75@gmail. Posted at 2015-9-12 16:44
I tried Follow Me in the car (with my wife driving).

As soon as the the car got too far away, I go ...

So, did it land immediately after signal lost or did it hover and wait for battery low signal?  Could you tell?  The logs would show it, I would think.Glad you had trakimo to help you find it!

Thanks
2015-9-12
Use props
capbat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 54905 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Sir Edward K Posted at 2015-9-12 10:28
Follow me is configured to just land at its last reported (mobile device) GPS location on loss of signal. ...

So that is probably why we are getting the 'Home point recorded' message multiple times during Follow-Me.
But you are saying that this is the MOBILE DEVICE GPS Location.  If I look at my device recordings it seems to me that when I get the message 'Home point recorded' during Follow-Me, the green circled H goes to the Aircraft's position not to the Device Location.
Am I understanding correctly?

But I don't have GPS on my device now. ...

How can you execute Follow-Me if you don't have a GPS device?

Waypoints will either Hover or Return to Home.. ...

The message I get (on Android) when I am starting Waypoints is: 'The aircraft will return to the Home Point if Low Battery RTH is triggered. Set a suitable Return-To-Home altitude to safegauard (sic) your aircraft.'  It does not say anything about Hovering.
And I believe that the Low Battery RTH is the little yellow H on the Battery Level Indicator Line at top of display.

Bat
2015-9-15
Use props
Sir Edward K
lvl.4

United States

Yes that is why I was asking for someone to verify in Follow me because I could not test this because I do have GPS on my IPad Mini.   I tried it in the Flight Simulator to see what options it would give me and I could make it all the way until I try to start the mission.  Yes, I am pretty sure you will see Homepont recorded multiple times as you move around and yes would be your current aircraft position not the device.

Does yours say that even when you have it set to Hover at the end of the mission.  If it is set to Hover at the end of mission then it will stay there until low battery and then land.   I will have to hook mine up again and read what the iOS app says.  But I  my point was that it will not return home on sgnal loss it will wait until Low Battery and if it is set to Hover at end of mission it will just land at that location.

2015-9-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules