19263 86 2015-9-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
chip.robie
lvl.1

United States

DJI Table Holder

DJI Table Holder

I ordered the Inspire/P3 tablet clamp for my P3S.

Installation required drilling the tx clamshell so the threaded leg has a place to go. When I opened the clamshell, I found the 5.8 antenna lead had separated from the UFL connector on the circuit board. I might have done it splitting the case. In any event, the warranty is now void.

DJI doesn't sell replacement antenna parts for P3S, but they will selll a new Tx for $139 and shipping.

Can we work out a way to replace the antenna with aftermarket parts?

2015-9-15
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

Chip, can you post pictures of the coax cable and connection at the circuit board? If it's like the connections used by the antenna on a lap top computer, the connection is rather small, but if you align it will connect.

antenna connection.png
2015-9-15
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430686 ft
United States

Perhaps this is why there are reports of some Standards having really terrible ranges?
2015-9-15
Use props
Dknysprt95
New
Flight distance : 7457 ft
  • >>>
United States

My range is less than 100m, haven't opened it yet....
2015-9-15
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

aopisa Posted at 2015-9-15 15:49
Perhaps this is why there are reports of some Standards having really terrible ranges?

The range reduction for the Standard is due to the radio frequency that they are using. The 5.8Ghz frequency travels less than half as far as the 2.4Ghz of the Phantom 3 Advanced or Professional.
2015-9-15
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430686 ft
United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-9-15 16:21
The range reduction for the Standard is due to the radio frequency that they are using. The 5.8Ghz ...

I understand that. Still I can fly over 1,000 m with mine. Some people are getting only a few hundred feet in open rural conditions.
2015-9-15
Use props
rusty
lvl.1

United States

Seems DJI should make this right...this is probably not the answer but would the DBS mod work for the P3S might be faster and cheaper in the long run...
2015-9-15
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

aopisa Posted at 2015-9-15 16:27
I understand that. Still I can fly over 1,000 m with mine. Some people are getting only a few hund ...

The 5.8 Ghz frequency is effected by a lot of variables. Yes, the antenna connection could be unhooked, but I suspect in most cases of shortened range, that it's due to the position of the single antenna.

Not owning a P3 Standard, I can't tell you whether the antenna emits the majority of the signal from the tip center line or the body of the antenna.

Possibly try one of the parabolic beam forming boosters. Be forewarned though, if it works for range boosting, if flown overhead, you'll lose connection.
2015-9-15
Use props
coherent
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7411 ft
United States

rusty Posted at 2015-9-15 13:34
Seems DJI should make this right...this is probably not the answer but would the DBS mod work for th ...

Because the units operate on a different frequency, the DBS Mod antenna will not work.  A 2.4Ghz antenna will not work on a 5.8ghz system and vice versa.
That doesn't mean you can't get a better antenna for the P3S, i just don't know of any offhand. I'm sure there are some in the works if not testing or out already. Prob worth and email to those who make the aftermarket P3P/A & Inspire antennas if you're looking for alternatives.
2015-9-15
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

coherent Posted at 2015-9-16 04:55
Because the units operate on a different frequency, the DBS Mod antenna will not work.  A 2.4Ghz an ...

i believe greg is talking about the parabolic windsurfer antenna, that just mount on the back side of the antenna
2015-9-16
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-9-16 03:42
Chip, can you post pictures of the coax cable and connection at the circuit board? If it's like the  ...

i have tried not to answer this thread as my main thing is this:
if u needed instruction to install a device holder what gave you the confidence to open the RC ??
2015-9-16
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-9-16 03:42
Chip, can you post pictures of the coax cable and connection at the circuit board? If it's like the  ...

It is the smaller connector Gregg. It would be an easy fix to mod it with the new connector and then he could put a RHCP antenna on and get some crazy tx range.
cable.JPG
2015-9-17
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
United States

You need one of these cables. I will send you one if you like. It will enable you to add a high gain tx antenna that will screw to a SMA port like the second pic. I can walk you through modding the TX and the WIFI extender that will get you out to a mile with stabile video and control. Let me know. I am in Florida. Call me if you like and I can explain better... 850-557-3097
Jim
cable.JPG
cable 2.JPG
2015-9-17
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

jimcloud74@yaho Posted at 2015-9-17 11:18
It is the smaller connector Gregg. It would be an easy fix to mod it with the new connector and the ...

Jim, that's the same style of connector used by most laptop computers for the Bluetooth and Wifi antennas.

So you bit the bullet and purchased a Standard model? Hope nothing is wrong with your P3 Pro.
2015-9-17
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-9-17 23:41
Jim, that's the same style of connector used by most laptop computers for the Bluetooth and Wifi a ...

Nope. Still flying my P3P strong! These are from my P2V+ days!! I have a TON of cables like this and the WIFI type. I can help the guy out if he will contact me. The antennas on the P3S are awful. Even in the WIFI extender. I am amazed they work as well as they do. The WIFI uses the cables like you have shown and the TX uses the one like I pictured. The P3S is a P2V+ with some "bird" updates renamed with a new app it appears to me.
2015-9-17
Use props
chip.robie
lvl.1

United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-9-16 15:41
i have tried not to answer this thread as my main thing is this:
if u needed instruction to instal ...
I guess I'm too dumb for this hobby. Maybe I'll hang around and see what happens anyway, but the warm welcome is noted.
2015-9-19
Use props
chip.robie
lvl.1

United States

jimcloud74@yaho Posted at 2015-9-17 11:18
It is the smaller connector Gregg. It would be an easy fix to mod it with the new connector and the ...

YOU HAVE MY FULL ATTENTION!  Yes, that is the connector in the picture.
2015-9-19
Use props
chip.robie
lvl.1

United States

jimcloud74@yaho Posted at 2015-9-17 11:20
You need one of these cables. I will send you one if you like. It will enable you to add a high gain ...

YES! THIS IS WHAT I WANT!
I will be contacting you!
THANK YOU!
2015-9-19
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
United States

chip.robie Posted at 2015-9-20 01:26
YOU HAVE MY FULL ATTENTION!

Yes, that is the connector in this picture. The end of the tiny black ...

I got you buddy. Call me and I can put you on some videos and send you some cables!!! ;)
2015-9-19
Use props
chip.robie
lvl.1

United States

jimcloud74@yaho Posted at 2015-9-17 11:20
You need one of these cables. I will send you one if you like. It will enable you to add a high gain ...

Here is what is inside the p3s tx. The toothpick end points to where the antenna coax plugs into the circuit board coax jack.

P3S Transmitter opened

P3S Transmitter opened
2015-9-19
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

jimcloud74@yaho Posted at 2015-9-19 13:35
I got you buddy. Call me and I can put you on some videos and send you some cables!!! ;)

WOW JIM are you an undercover DJI support staff ??  LOL
2015-9-19
Use props
chip.robie
lvl.1

United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-9-15 15:42

Here is the bad UFL connection. I tried, hobby shop tried, putting the connector back on that tiny coax isn't working.

Pigtail upgrade now makes a whole lot of sense.

P3S antenna wire and coax jack separated from circuit board receiver coax jack.

P3S antenna wire and coax jack separated from circuit board receiver coax jack.
2015-9-19
Use props
chip.robie
lvl.1

United States

chip.robie Posted at 2015-9-19 14:08
Here is the coax wire separated from the circuit board, showing both wire with coax jack and corres ...

Here is a closer look.

P3S antenna coax connector and circuit board coax receiver connection

P3S antenna coax connector and circuit board coax receiver connection
2015-9-19
Use props
chip.robie
lvl.1

United States

Willie Wonka Posted at 2015-9-19 13:44
WOW JIM are you an undercover DJI support staff ??  LOL

Jim has been a Major Dude. In the very good way. Kudos to Jim...
2015-9-19
Use props
chip.robie
lvl.1

United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-9-15 15:42

Smaller than those, but very similar.
2015-9-19
Use props
chip.robie
lvl.1

United States

aopisa Posted at 2015-9-15 15:49

There's a good chance I pulled the wire out of the UFL connector trying to open the case. My bird acts like one that's got no real antenna coverage. Not good evidence to hold against the standard birds so far.
2015-9-19
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

chip.robie Posted at 2015-9-19 14:21
Jim could not be undercover DJI support... They have been completely unhelpful in this matter, bey ...

I hope to god you get this fixed, what a bummer this happens to you, those mcx connectors are the worst ever, as when it gets disconnected it never connects as good as before even if you were very careful and you start loosing DBi right and left.

EDIT : i am sorry its the U.FL connector in your case.  

ipexmhf.jpg
2015-9-19
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
United States

Yep. Do this.....

When you get the cord....

Crap!!! I just realized that the same cords are needed in the WIFI extender. I sent you 2 more that will work for the P3A/P if you ever get one. Sorry about that. I only had one of the cords you need for the controller anyways. They can be bought on Amazon or ebay if you decide to tackle the WIFI extender. Here is the link for those....
http://www.amazon.com/U-FL-RP-SM ... s=u.fl+to+sma+cable

Here is the RHCP i used....http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s ... _Wireless_SMA_.html

RHCP.jpg
sma 2.jpg
2015-9-19
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
United States

Hey Chip, Make sure you get ALL of the glue off of the tx side connector on the board. Use an x-acto hobby knife with the thin blade. They are very "exact". That will make sure that the plug stays put and dab some hot glue back over it afterwards.
2015-9-19
Use props
chip.robie
lvl.1

United States

Willie Wonka Posted at 2015-9-19 14:43
I hope to god you get this fixed, what a bummer this happens to you, those mcx connectors are the w ...

Well, I won't cry about the vagaries of 'why me' (I did crack the case open, I'm a big boy), it is a bummer, but I want to focus on fixing this. It's a parts and pieces thing. It is fixable... no smoke has leaked out. It's a resources, methods, and design question.

2015-9-19
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

Chip.robie,

Looks like you discovered sloppy assembly from DJI.  The small connector is indeed a U.FL connector.  The gold color is not brass...  It's actual gold plating.  U.FL connectors are very fragile.  They typically make a solid connection about once before they start to degrade so be careful plugging them in.  Needle nose pliers can be helpful but you just use them to hold it in place while you press down on the back of the connector with a small screwdriver or plastic spugger  tool.  

The Amazon U.FL to SMA pigtail is a pretty good suggestion.  This lets you attach many standard SMA antennas.  There is also a type of reverse SMA connector commonly used for Wifi radios that can work of you get a U.FL to reverse SMA adapter cable.

I am not so sure a helical antenna suggested by jimcloud74 is a good idea on a Phantom.  The digital radio & antenna on the P3 are set up for the vertical polarized antennas on the Phantom.  If you use a radially polarized helical antenna on the P3 controller  it may actually attenuate the signal from the drone more than help.  A standard vertical antenna might work better.

The frequency of the antenna must match the frequency of the radio.  

Good luck.
2015-9-19
Use props
chip.robie
lvl.1

United States

It's all in there, isn't it! Thanks.
2015-9-19
Use props
chip.robie
lvl.1

United States

jimcloud74@yaho Posted at 2015-9-19 15:13
Hey Chip, Make sure you get ALL of the glue off of the tx side connector on the board. Use an x-ac ...

It's in the plan and I'm happy to have the reminder.  Thanks so much for the process and component help.
2015-9-19
Use props
chip.robie
lvl.1

United States

<duplicate post> delete if possible
2015-9-19
Use props
chip.robie
lvl.1

United States

<unintentional duplication of previous post. Would delete this if I knew how.>
2015-9-19
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
United States

chip.robie Posted at 2015-9-19 13:23
Oh for petes sakes. There is no such thing as a forum without pissmatching.

I am an engineer with  ...

It was just a question with no intention to cause you anger! From this side of the table it just looked odd, that's all.
I don't know anything about the inside of the RC
Have a good day
2015-9-19
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-9-15 16:53
The 5.8 Ghz frequency is effected by a lot of variables. Yes, the antenna connection could be unho ...

All Antennas radiate from the bottom as sonar the signal enters the Antenna. The length of the Antenna is  just to make it resonant at the frequency that is being used. the length will either be 1/4, 1/2, 5/8, or full wave which is the longest.
2015-9-19
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Chip. the connector is most likely a "Crimp" type connection. If it was not fully crimped the Coax can pull out with little resistance. Also if the Crimp is not tight you will have a loose connection and hence a reduction in range. Replace meant Cable shouldn't be a big deal. Check the Inspire Board and search around there for Antenna mods. there may also be some on the Phantom Board. I can't tell you exactly whereto find the Posts but, there are people that have made Antenna mods and they have include the parts sources. the Coax and Connector that DJI is using is very popular in Test Equipment.
2015-9-19
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Chip I posted before I read all of the posts. Your savior's are listed above..
2015-9-19
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

jimcloud74@yaho Posted at 2015-9-19 15:04
Yep. Do this.....

https://youtu.be/Gcl-hT5iznY

Great Post, now I have a source if needed.
thanks
2015-9-19
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules