Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
No fly zones in Chicago
12361 23 2015-9-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
camran.rahmani
Second Officer
Flight distance : 510354 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi all,

I am planning to visit Chicago next week and was thinking of flying around the downtown in early morning when it's not crowded. From the no fly zone map here (https://www.mapbox.com/drone/no-fly/) seems like the downtonw and around the harbor/pier is not "no fly zone". Just wanted to ask if anyone knows more about this and if it's ok to fly, where is a good place to take off/land, far away from people and street but still close enough to it's tall buildings? Thanks.

2015-9-20
Use props
Willie Wonka
First Officer

United States

If you don't want to be on the news don't go and fly in downtown Chicago, stay close to this area and do a POI of this nice fountain.
Screen Shot 2015-09-20 at 8.13.24 PM.png
2015-9-20
Use props
dmwierz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 61427 ft
United States

Do NOT fly around Buckingham Fountain, PLEASE. That location is exceedingly popular and crowded, even in the morning. And BTW, Buckingham Fountain IS downtown. It's in Grant Park, which stretches from Roosevelt (12th Street) to Randolph, or just about a mile and a half, between Lakeshore Drive and Michigan Avenue, the two main thoroughfares downtown.

Do us Chicago residents a favor and don't fly anywhere near downtown. I live in the Loop, and so do many of my fellow professional photographers, and even we don't fly over Buckingham Fountain or other sections of Grant Park.
2015-9-20
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

http://flysafe.dji.com/no-fly please, check it here
2015-9-20
Use props
Willie Wonka
First Officer

United States

dmwierz Posted at 2015-9-20 21:10
Do NOT fly around Buckingham Fountain, PLEASE. That location is exceedingly popular and crowded, eve ...

Is there another spot for him you can suggest to go to close by ?
2015-9-20
Use props
dmwierz
Second Officer
United States

Willie Wonka Posted at 2015-9-20 22:52
Is there another spot for him you can suggest to go to close by ?

Chicago is a big, big city, with close to 600 parks and thousands of points of interests. I don't know where he'll be staying or where he'll be visiting.  I'm just saying to stay away from the downtown area.

Until recently I would have suggested one of the 9 Cook County Forest Preserve sites managed by the AMA, but rumors have been rampant lately that FP security folks have been chasing off drone operators.

I also might have suggested flying off the tip of the peninsula that contains the Shedd Aquarium and Adler Planeterium, or even on Northerly Island, but DJI has added all those areas to their own form of drone dictatorship by making this a no-fly area because it's close to Soldier Field, and the morons who crashed their drones into crowded stadiums in New York and Kentucky were the impetus behind this

You might try one of the beaches north or south of downtown, like Belmont Harbor or North Avenue, flying over non-populated areas or staying mostly over water. You can get some spectacular views of the city, and in morning light this can be very dramatic.

Just don't fly over people or vehicles or public monuments. Be cool, be safe, be responsible.

2015-9-21
Use props
Sir Edward K
Second Officer

United States

dmwierz Posted at 2015-9-21 05:58
Chicago is a big, big city, with close to 600 parks and thousands of points of interests. I don't k ...

What about the Montrose Beach area just off of North Lake Shore Drive?  Not far from Wrigley but out of the zone and I think there should be a neat skyline view from there from the P3's view.  
2015-9-21
Use props
dmwierz
Second Officer
United States

Yeah, Montrose Beach is OK, too, but again, if there are people on the beach, don't overfly them, don't fly inland, and stay away from LSD, the road and the drug (LakeShore Drive)

BTW, Montrose and Belmont are BARELY out of the Wrigley Field no-fly zone...thanks again, DJI

Screen Shot 2015-09-21 at 7.59.33 AM.png
2015-9-21
Use props
Willie Wonka
First Officer

United States

Basically DO NOT FLY camran LOL sell your phantom 3 as it is useless LOL !
2015-9-21
Use props
aopisa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 430686 ft
United States

I used to live in Chicago for many years. I am racking my brain thinking of a place to fly that would still give you a great view of the skyline and drawing a blank. How far has gentrification gone out west of the Loop? There are some cool semi-industrial areas just south of downtown around where the Stevenson and Dan Ryan come together that would give you a good view looking north. Everything just outside of downtown is pretty deserted on a Sunday morning, but you would really have to know the city to figure it out. We used to mountain bike all over downtown and the surrounding area on Sundays. Empty canyons.
2015-9-21
Use props
camran.rahmani
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thank you all. Just to clarify, when I say early morning I mean before or around sunset so there is not many people out there and also I am not very keen on flying right in the downtown, I was mostly asking places that I can get nice view of the downtown, even if it's a bit far. Downtown is not in any no-fly zone but generally I don't fly over any crowded area. I stay in a hotel in downtown so going to beach on early morning is feasible, can I see the cool buildings from Montrose Beach? How about if I just fly from Polk Bros park and go in the water and get the buildings  from the water? Any other areas/hikes you guys can suggest?  This is the type of video I make, as you see not many people in it:

2015-9-21
Use props
Willie Wonka
First Officer

United States

camran.rahmani@ Posted at 2015-9-21 18:18
Thank you all. Just to clarify, when I say early morning I mean before or around sunset so there is  ...

Freaking awesome video !! You go do your thing in Chicago and don't forget to let us see the result
2015-9-21
Use props
dmwierz
Second Officer
United States

Oak Street Beach (the closest) and North Avenue Beach are good locations from which to get images of downtown. Again, PLEASE do not fly over people or over the streets or buildings. Early morning the beaches aren't terribly populous, but you will have dog walkers, runners, and walkers roaming the lake front.
Chicago-Oak-Street-Beach-downtown.jpg
north avenue beach.jpg
2015-9-22
Use props
aopisa
Second Officer
United States

dmwierz Posted at 2015-9-22 08:37
Oak Street Beach (the closest) and North Avenue Beach are good locations from which to get images of ...

That is why I was thinking west or south of the Loop might have some good spots to take off from and still get a good vibe of the skyline. Especially early on a weekend day.

Otherwise you could get away from downtown and get some gritty urban landscape type shots. Look for things that a tourist would not. For example.

http://www.chicagoarchitecture.o ... e-past-water-tanks/

There are iconic Chicago factories that are disappearing which would be great to document with a Phantom. The old Wrigley gum and Brach's candy factories which are no longer are good examples. There are others that deserve to at least be recorded if not saved.

brachs

brachs

wrigley

wrigley

2015-9-22
Use props
dmwierz
Second Officer
United States

aopisa, I agree 100%. West of downtown around Randolph and May is full of old factories, water towers, etc., but unless you're familiar with the area, it's hard to send someone from out of town to exactly the right spot. I live downtown and am still discovering those hidden gems myself.

I'm guessing the OP is looking for more touristy photo op's and less artsy ones. Plus, going "inland" will make it much more likely for the dude to get in trouble.

2015-9-22
Use props
aopisa
Second Officer
United States

dmwierz Posted at 2015-9-22 09:00
aopisa, I agree 100%. West of downtown around Randolph and May is full of old factories, water tower ...

You are correct and you could end up in the wrong neighborhood if you go too far. I just posted a few pictures of some factories that no longer exist. Those that remain would make awesome videos and photos.

I need to move back!
2015-9-22
Use props
aopisa
Second Officer
United States

dmwierz Posted at 2015-9-22 09:00
aopisa, I agree 100%. West of downtown around Randolph and May is full of old factories, water tower ...

I had a Springer that looks like your dog. A total nut and almost like a person. I really miss him.
2015-9-22
Use props
dmwierz
Second Officer
United States

aopisa Posted at 2015-9-22 08:06
I had a Springer that looks like your dog. A total nut and almost like a person. I really miss him ...

I have two Springers...one 13, and the maniac in the photo, who's 2 and a real hellion. Love 'em both to pieces.
2015-9-22
Use props
camran.rahmani
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thank you all! you guys are awesome, I will look around carefully and hopefully can get some nice shots.
2015-9-22
Use props
aopisa
Second Officer
United States

camran.rahmani@ Posted at 2015-9-22 09:26
Thank you all! you guys are awesome, I will look around carefully and hopefully can get some nice sh ...

From the video that you posted above I am sure you have the ability to explore and find some great subjects.  Can't wait to see what you come up with.
Have a great trip!
2015-9-22
Use props
wombat1975
lvl.1

United States

camran.rahmani@ Posted at 2015-9-21 14:18
Thank you all. Just to clarify, when I say early morning I mean before or around sunset so there is not many people out there and also I am not very keen on flying right in the downtown, I was mostly asking places that I can get nice view of the downtown, even if it's a bit far. Downtown is not in any no-fly zone but generally I don't fly over any crowded area. I stay in a hotel in downtown so going to beach on early morning is feasible, can I see the cool buildings from Montrose Beach? How about if I just fly from Polk Bros park and go in the water and get the buildings  from the water? Any other areas/hikes you guys can suggest?  This is the type of video I make, as you see not many people in it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpG0eWIP1KA

Great shots in Maui.
Was this shot on phantom or inspire?
What Cam?
2017-2-23
Use props
fans7aa8ed1f
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thank you! It was a Phantom 3 Professional.
2017-2-23
Use props
headph0nz
lvl.2
United States

dmwierz Posted at 2015-9-20 17:10
Do NOT fly around Buckingham Fountain, PLEASE. That location is exceedingly popular and crowded, even in the morning. And BTW, Buckingham Fountain IS downtown. It's in Grant Park, which stretches from Roosevelt (12th Street) to Randolph, or just about a mile and a half, between Lakeshore Drive and Michigan Avenue, the two main thoroughfares downtown.

Do us Chicago residents a favor and don't fly anywhere near downtown. I live in the Loop, and so do many of my fellow professional photographers, and even we don't fly over Buckingham Fountain or other sections of Grant Park.

you sound as though a murderer is coming to town.   GO murder somewhere else?  Dude relax.  
2017-12-12
Use props
headph0nz
lvl.2
United States

the railyards on the south side of the loop are dope and noone walks around there.  Epic footage.  Take the 18th street bridge to get a view of where to post up.  Good luck
2017-12-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules