Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
X5 sample pictures and video
4606 23 2015-10-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI-Dave
Captain

United States

DJI has put up some sample pictures and video straight from the camera from the X5. Not the X5R, not yet.

Download from here.

http://www.dji.com/product/zenmuse-x5s/download

Dave
2015-10-2
Use props
Burlingtonfilms
Second Officer
Flight distance : 108550 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Hi Dave, thanks for posting these!

The quality, especially the dynamic range has improved a lot.

One thing I did notice was a bit of flickering in the 3rd video clip(small ponds, brownish grass in the distance)  The biggest complaint I received from DPs on the X3 was the compression flickering.  The improved image quality of the X5 does help, but it is still there.

Thank you again for posting these and I look forward to seeing more clips in the future!
2015-10-2
Use props
nofearmx
lvl.4

United States

Thanks Dave! You always come and save the day! Will check this out...
2015-10-2
Use props
jones5r
Second Officer
Flight distance : 105722 ft
United States

Thanks Dave!
2015-10-3
Use props
bahamasky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3240535 ft
Bahamas

thanks Dave!
2015-10-3
Use props
vonbaron1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 42014 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for Posting.
2015-10-3
Use props
rodger
Captain
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks Dave.
2015-10-3
Use props
DJI-Dave
Captain

United States

Wow, thank you so much guys for all the thank you's. Really put a big smile on my face when I just checked this thread. I've been feeling a little beat down lately (there is always so many problems on these forums) and just wasn't expecting this.

Dave
2015-10-3
Use props
walky
lvl.1

Australia

Thanks for posting. The time taken is appreciated.

Quick comments;

Video samples not long enough, no low light.
Overall, based on the sample of still and video shown here, I'm somewhat unimpressed and underwhelmed. DJi, won't be getting my cash based on the quality of these files as examples.
2015-10-3
Use props
DJI-Dave
Captain

United States

walky Posted at 2015-10-4 00:19
Thanks for posting. The time taken is appreciated.

Quick comments;

Ok, thanks for your input. I can let the people that provide the samples know you would like to see more and better.

Dave
2015-10-4
Use props
walky
lvl.1

Australia

Thanks Dave.
2015-10-5
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-10-5 01:10
Ok, thanks for your input. I can let the people that provide the samples know you would like to se ...

Wow!  I think those files are very impressive considering they are the same bitrate as the X3.   The clearer source image obviously gives the CODEC and easier job and creates a more pleasing image.

Very nice indeed.

Yes, I would also like to see some low light footage and closeups of water, which drives the X3 crazy.   But from what I've seen I'm very impressed.

Well done!
2015-10-6
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

Burlingtonfilms Posted at 2015-10-3 13:54
Hi Dave, thanks for posting these!

The quality, especially the dynamic range has improved a lot.

The small amount of flickering, which is vastly improved from the X3, is pretty minor and will be wiped out by the X5R.   
But I think the straight X5 is a MAJOR step up and many will find it completely acceptable for many uses.   

The high pros can afford the X5R as their clients will be paying for the quality bump.

Looking forward to some more tests that really push it to the limit, but I now think the X5 is a contender and worth the extra money.
2015-10-6
Use props
Arrow1969
First Officer
Flight distance : 400577 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for posting, the time taken is much appreciated.
2015-10-6
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

If anyone is interested I did a quick 5-minute grade to see whether pushing the image brought out a large number of artifacts.  All in all it held up quite well I thought, compared to pushing X3 footage the same way.

The small amounts of dancing pixels often appears to be in the background and would be easy to isolate and track in DaVinci to correct.   Of course if this is a big problem then you are probably a pro and should be looking at the X5R anyway.   But the straight X5 is pretty damn good!

H.264 graded footage here.  Looks even better in ProRes!
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7600530/X5%20Graded.mov
2015-10-6
Use props
nilsblix
First Officer
Flight distance : 23047543 ft
  • >>>
Spain

jimhare Posted at 2015-10-6 13:13
If anyone is interested I did a quick 5-minute grade to see whether pushing the image brought out a  ...

Thank you for doing this Jim. I am actually on the fence for now. I would really like to see some log files graded by you. Have seen some side by side comparisons with the X3, but it really says little as we do not know the modes they are shot in. After seeing your quick grade results I am about to click buy.
2015-10-6
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

nilsblix@gmail. Posted at 2015-10-7 07:33
Thank you for doing this Jim. I am actually on the fence for now. I would really like to see some  ...

Yeah, I was really happy to finally see some unprocessed footage.   Yes, would love some LOG footage and low light stuff.

But I can already see the X5 is several steps ahead of the X3 and certainly worth it if buying new.
2015-10-6
Use props
Morrisson
First Officer
Flight distance : 20710033 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks! Checking it out now...
2015-10-6
Use props
Machoman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1036959 ft
Austria

Thanks for the samples. But to be honest I am disappointed that the 10x bigger sensor only brings a small quality improvement over the X3. And all the demos avoid yaw movements at near background objects which are the real downside of 30p limits which also the X5 faces. For this price I would have expected more.

With the pictures I dont like the noise and colour moire it reminds me of older Panasonic cams I used years ago. Ok compared with the X3 its far better but the pictures of the X3 are really not a good measure for quality.

With the handheld gimbal I really would consider to buy a better cam then the X3 but not for this price with only slightly better quality. Probably next year with 4K/50p and 100 Mbps it will be a deal.
2015-10-7
Use props
DJI-Dave
Captain

United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-10-6 04:13
If anyone is interested I did a quick 5-minute grade to see whether pushing the image brought out a  ...

Thanks for doing this Jim.
2015-10-16
Use props
DJI-Dave
Captain

United States

Machoman Posted at 2015-10-7 14:57
Thanks for the samples. But to be honest I am disappointed that the 10x bigger sensor only brings a  ...

Sorry you feel this way. I think the performance is good.
2015-10-16
Use props
Machoman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1036959 ft
Austria

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-10-16 21:03
Sorry you feel this way. I think the performance is good.

If it would have 4K50p and 100 Mbit/s I would immediately buy the X5R. I am wiating for such a camera. Its not the price which is my problem its that in 1 year 4K50p sure will get available and the quality will be far better then alone because of this.
2015-10-16
Use props
DJI-Dave
Captain

United States

Machoman Posted at 2015-10-16 15:37
If it would have 4K50p and 100 Mbit/s I would immediately buy the X5R. I am wiating for such a cam ...

Yeah, I understand...
2015-10-16
Use props
WYHSniper1007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1003822 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice!Good Job!
2017-1-3
Use props
Advanced