3878 13 2015-10-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Tahoe Ed posted this over on RCGroups.. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/s ... 210&postcount=40280
WARNING!

DJI LA has received several returns about Phantoms that fell out of the sky without warning.

We have investigated those cases. In many of them we found that the users have installed third party prop guards or after installing DJI prop guards installed the prop guard screws after removal of the guards. The third party screws were too long for the installation as were the DJI screws if the prop guards were not installed. This has caused the screws to contact the motor causing it to fail.

This is to inform all DJI users that the installation of third party prop guards will invalidate your warranty and the misuse of the DJI prop guards will also invalidate your warranty. Please use the screws that were provided with the motors. If you use DJI provided prop guards then make sure that you install the original screws when you remove them.

I hope that this clarifies the use of prop guards. The DJI provided prop guards work when used as proscribed by DJI. Be conscious of the screw length.

So.. What does it mean I hear some say....

Well, in a nutshell it means two things are happening resulting in peoples P3's falling with a sad face to the ground below. Issues that it seems DJI will NOT warranty.

1: 3rd party prop guards with wrong length screws are fitted..... This results in the screw pushing the "baffle" way beyond the motor mount by the screw and has squashes the motors cable against the stator and damaging it.
stator.jpg

2: People are removing the propguards ( be they the official DJI ones one 3rd party ones ) and the using the prop guard screws to fit the motorback on resulting in the same as point 1.

How can you strop this happening? Well for one, don't use prop guards.. They serve very little purpose if flying outside. Another option would to THINK! a little and not just blindly fiddle about with the P3. It boild down to user error and noone else it to blame other than the user him/her self.

2015-10-6
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha sploodge,

You hit that nail right on the head!  That is a definite possibility.  We have examples here in Hawai'i of people burning out motors because they used the wrong screws even when installing DJI propguards.  Anyone who has dealt with propguards should be able to tell you it can quickly get confusing about which screw to use.  You have to take notes and mark bags, bottles or cups that hold the screws so you do not blow the motors or they even disconnect in flight (too short screw).  And you have to do it right four times.

Aloha And Drone On!
2015-10-6
Use props
rolexian
lvl.1

United States

The thing is is that third-party prop guards are much easier to remove for drone transport. I never felt comfortable not getting DJI-approved equipment, and because the DJI prop guards are a hassle to remove, I just never got them.
2015-10-6
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

rolexian Posted at 2015-10-7 08:40
The thing is is that third-party prop guards are much easier to remove for drone transport. I never  ...

Don't think its and issue with 3rd party per say just some people don't understand how to use them properly and kill their P3's

Maybe 3rd part makers need to give clearer instructions to the DurDur's buying their products. And also point out the possibility of voiding users warranties.

Thinking about it, DJI need clearer instructions too on theirs.
2015-10-6
Use props
Joe Blow
lvl.3
Flight distance : 417149 ft

Colombia

Prop Guards equal Increase in Drag, Stress (possible cracks), Reduced Performance and now Falling Out of the Sky DJI3's.  Good information and bulletin DJI.  Suggest a DGI GO APP bulletin so all DJI3 owners will be notified.
2015-10-7
Use props
Sir Edward K
lvl.4

United States

Quit using prop guards after my first couple flights when I could tell they put stress on the arms in moderate wind.  But I did leave the quick release brackets on.  Now thinking I should remove them as well. I did save original screws and placed them in separate plastic 35 mm film canisters.  
2015-10-7
Use props
Calvette
lvl.4
Flight distance : 103222 ft
United States

Sir Edward K Posted at 2015-10-7 07:07
Quit using prop guards after my first couple flights when I could tell they put stress on the arms i ...

"35 mm film canisters" Wished I had saved more of those.
2015-10-7
Use props
SpunOne69
lvl.3

United States

I bought some quick release prop guards from my DJI Dealer (Drones Plus) and they caused stress cracks after 3 flights (never had them before)...The dealer said it wasn't the prop guards that caused them (which is bullshit) and charged me $220 to replace the shell.
2015-10-7
Use props
Sir Edward K
lvl.4

United States

Calvette Posted at 2015-10-7 09:18

Yes, use to help my father develop film back in the day and still have a bunch of those left over.  I just looked and you can still get them online through Amazon.  lol.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Film-Canisters-Pack-SUPER/dp/B00Y60WNS2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1444255245&sr=8-3&keywords=35+mm+film+canister
2015-10-7
Use props
GQ.
lvl.4

Canada

Calvette Posted at 2015-10-7 10:18

I use transparent pills canister :-)
2015-10-7
Use props
Phoenix Outdoor
lvl.1
Flight distance : 34016 ft
United States

So would this also include the strong arm kits?
2015-10-7
Use props
milbear
lvl.2

United States

Calvette Posted at 2015-10-7 09:18

use prescription medicine bottles.. if you don't have them, you'll know someone that does.
2015-11-27
Use props
FlybyYou
New

United States

Thank you for this, Upon installing propeller guards I did notice a bit of a little hindering in the performance. I even spoke to my brother who has watched the drone fly for sometime before and both of use realize that this has been happening. Thank you for the information!
2015-12-6
Use props
Buy Low
lvl.2

United States

New guy here...I was planning to add the quick removable prop guards "just in case" I had a hard landing or got too close to a tree.  What I'm hearing is that a prop replacement is the lesser evil than problems created by the guards to the arms.  I'm also anticipating a response of "don't fly too close to trees!"
2015-12-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules