Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
What mic to use???
12Next >
33842 51 2015-10-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Fred D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 56184 ft
Canada

Can anyone recommend a good external mic to use with the Osmo

2015-10-17
Use props
Superbaso
lvl.3
  • >>>
Italy

http://www.rode.com/microphones/stereovideomicpro

omni directional mic from rode....has his own battery, so it seems a good solution...

did you bought the Cosmo? How is the sound recorded?
2015-10-17
Use props
ke-now
lvl.3
Australia

Superbaso Posted at 2015-10-18 15:34
http://www.rode.com/microphones/stereovideomicpro

omni directional mic from rode....has his own bat ...

That's not omnidirectional. It uses cardioids in an XY pattern. It will pick up things from 180 degrees in front of mic.

Drawbacks of this mic are... it looks a bit chunky. No good for interviews unless the subject is close. Might pick up too much environment noise. Sound quality is good though (just watched youtube demo).
2015-10-19
Use props
ke-now
lvl.3
Australia

B&H:  List of camera mics in order of price

check out the list above (of compact shotgun mics). Stand-outs are the Rode VideoMic Pro compact (bit expensive though).

I think my favourite in that list is the Polsen VM-180M, very compact, looks good, but I've never used it.

Cheapest is only $23 and will probably be better than Osmo internal mic !!

2015-10-19
Use props
Superbaso
lvl.3
  • >>>
Italy

ke-now Posted at 2015-10-19 16:33
Get the Sennheiser MKE 400 Compact Video Camera Shotgun Microphone and mount it on the Osmo universa ...

thanks! But since this is a direction mic, it will record what will be behind the microphone? I would like to have something that record my voice behind the Osmo and the voice of my friends in front of the Osmo....thanks
2015-10-20
Use props
Phantom Paul
lvl.2

Philippines

Is there any actual photo showing this Osmo with an external mic? I'm curious how does it look & hopefully not too hassle if you're holding the camera/mic together & moving at the same time.
2015-10-20
Use props
Phantom Paul
lvl.2

Philippines

ke-now Posted at 2015-10-19 22:33
Get the Sennheiser MKE 400 Compact Video Camera Shotgun Microphone and mount it on the Osmo universa ...

Thanks for the recommendation mate. There are a few different packaging. The one that comes with the Wind-muff and XLR Adapter Kit cost about $40 extra. Are these two necessary assuming I'm shooting indoor or non-wind condition? I guess the the XLR adapter kit is not applicable in this Osmo case.

Btw, any other cheaper recommendations below $100?    
2015-10-20
Use props
ke-now
lvl.3
Australia

Phantom Paul Posted at 2015-10-21 08:58
Thanks for the recommendation mate. There are a few different packaging. The one that comes with th ...

You will need the Osmo universal mount accessory, it comes with hotshoe for mounting mics.

Check out this list on B&H of directional mics suitable for video cameras, in order of price.

2015-10-21
Use props
ke-now
lvl.3
Australia

Superbaso Posted at 2015-10-21 02:40
thanks! But since this is a direction mic, it will record what will be behind the microphone? I wo ...

Directional mic is fine for recording both you and your subject. Because you are close to the camera, the mic will still pick up your voice.

But get a Supercardioid compact shotgun for best side noise rejection (gimbal noise).

Rode has one for $199, looks good. Lots of good reviews. I think I would get this over the Sennheiser I mentioned before.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/pr ... ompact_Shotgun.html

2015-10-21
Use props
Phantom Paul
lvl.2

Philippines

ke-now Posted at 2015-10-21 17:15
You will need the Osmo universal mount accessory, it comes with hotshoe for mounting mics.

There  ...

Great! I think I prefer the compact Rode VideoMic Pro Mic.

Looks like we'll need both the OSMO Universal Mount ($25) & Straight Extension Arm ($25).
2015-10-21
Use props
hamradiofreak
lvl.1
Flight distance : 582602 ft
United States

i just got my osmo today. used the rhode shotgun mic pro.
way to big and it did not pick up my audio from behind the camera.
i am looking into something very small and something that will pick up sound all around.

2015-10-26
Use props
hamradiofreak
lvl.1
Flight distance : 582602 ft
United States

ok, dont laugh but here is another video showing the rhode shotgun mic hanging from the osmo.
i think i am going to get a small rhode lapel pic i have seen.  will post results from that tomorrow.
2015-10-26
Use props
classicalle
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8903051 ft
  • >>>
United States

hamradiofreak Posted at 2015-10-26 22:11
ok, dont laugh but here is another video showing the rhode shotgun mic hanging from the osmo.
i thin ...

Nice! Nikon D4. I got one too! I like the room! The Inspire 1 controller has two tabs on the phone holder that comes up so that it actually does fit the iPhone 6 Plus. I have one too, and it fits.
2015-10-26
Use props
ke-now
lvl.3
Australia

hamradiofreak Posted at 2015-10-27 10:05
i just got my osmo today. used the rhode shotgun mic pro.
way to big and it did not pick up my audio ...

But it does pick up your voice from behind camera, it's just a bit soft. I think your mic db output setting must be at zero? You should set it to '+20db' as this will provide a higher input level to the Osmo. It's always better to push out a higher level from mic if your environment is quiet.

2015-10-27
Use props
waynerowe70
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Just wondered if the Olympus ME12 mic might be an option. It would probably fit the audio jack at the front and not protrude too much.  It's not going to be the highest quality mic but probably better than the internal one on the OSMO.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus- ... phone/dp/B00006HSBC
2015-10-29
Use props
jongoff.film
New
Saudi Arabia

Check out this company:
http://edutige.net

Their mics seem to be the right quality and size for an Osmo rig. I recommend the unidirectional one though. Anything larger than these mics will interfere with the field of view.
2015-10-29
Use props
informatie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2953 ft
Netherlands

Just got my Osmo today. I am expirimenting with a Sony ECM-AW3 Wireless bluetooth microphone. First results are pretty ok
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/pr ... tooth_Wireless.html
2015-10-29
Use props
ke-now
lvl.3
Australia

Cheapest option: Sima MZM-1 Mniature Camera Mountable Zoom Microphone

$23

Won't be Rode quality, but funnily enough will most likely be better than the Osmo internal mic.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/pr ... oom_Microphone.html

List of compact directional mics in order of price

2015-10-30
Use props
vlgorev
lvl.1

United States

I'm not a pro, so... I'm going to use Shure MOTIV MV88 with my iPod and some Lightning extension cable. Will figure out some custom shock mount... Will even try to mount it on vertical axis motor of Osmo if possible. MV88 isn't cheap, but it'll cover so many use cases for someone like me, and it's light and small. So, I cant see anything better as yet.
2015-11-2
Use props
ath0nocarrier
lvl.1

United States

Odd external MIC thumping

I am using the etm-001 external MIC.  When I plug it into the OSMO, audio works and is improved, however, I have a "rapid thumping" sound in the background of the audio which makes it unusable. Anyone else? MIC works fine plugged into my phone.
2015-11-4
Use props
Pana8888
New

Hong Kong

ath0nocarrier Posted at 2015-11-4 22:46
I am using the etm-001 external MIC.  When I plug it into the OSMO, audio works and is improved, how ...

I would like to have the same combination as well. Would you mind to share the thumping sound video sample?
2015-11-6
Use props
ath0nocarrier
lvl.1

United States

Pana8888 Posted at 2015-11-6 14:54
I would like to have the same combination as well. Would you mind to share the thumping sound vide ...

Here's what's odd -- if I put the ETM-001 directly on the camera, I have a thump. If I plug it into a audio extension cable M/F, the audio is perfect (I'm currently holding the MIC a few feet from the OSMO, probably going to look at a lapel option).  Only theory I have is that there's metal on the MIC that is somehow touching the OSMO in a strange way, and producing a thumping sound *when the fan kicks on.*
So, after many hours fussing with optimal arrangements, I think I'm going with the Rode Videomicro as shown by this dude:

2015-11-8
Use props
sdchew
lvl.3

South Korea

Anyone tried the Shure VP83/VP83F with the Osmo? The better off-axis rejection is something I'm looking at as I want to eliminate the gimbal/fan noise as much as possible
2015-11-8
Use props
Pana8888
New

Hong Kong

ath0nocarrier Posted at 2015-11-9 02:09
Here's what's odd -- if I put the ETM-001 directly on the camera, I have a thump. If I plug it into ...

I think its due to a the big fan noise or magnet in the motor. I'm considering to use ETM-001 to minimize the camera size. It seems that I need to use extension cable and attach it somewhere.

Its too bad that DJI does not facing this problem before release the product.
Any chance to share the thumping result by attachding ETM-001 directly into the OSMO ?  
2015-11-8
Use props
ath0nocarrier
lvl.1

United States

Pana8888 Posted at 2015-11-8 19:21
I think its due to a the big fan noise or magnet in the motor. I'm considering to use ETM-001 to m ...

I can't share -- i deleted the video/audio and the mic has been returned.
2015-11-9
Use props
Phantom Paul
lvl.2

Philippines

This one is nice after it was tested by user Tony Vo. Rode VideoMicro Compact On-Camera Microphone with Rycote Lyre Shock Mount $60. Refer to the video sample posted earlier by ath0nocarrier.

Here's another test done by Tony Vo:

2015-11-9
Use props
sdchew
lvl.3

Singapore

Come to think of it, I was under the impression the DJI Osmo doesn't have phatom power? But if the Rode Video Micro works, thats awesome!
2015-11-13
Use props
ke-now
lvl.3
Australia

sdchew Posted at 2015-11-14 01:55
Come to think of it, I was under the impression the DJI Osmo doesn't have phatom power? But if the R ...

Yeah I think that rumor started with the Tested guys review of the Osmo, they said the mic needs to be powered. They were wrong.

It doesn't help that DJI have not said anything about it, and not even the manual mentions whether the external mic has plugin power. But clearly the Osmo does supply power.

I think we have a winner. The Rode VideoMicro is small enough to clip on the phone holder without needing the universal mount. And I can't hear any gimbal noise at all, or fan noise in the above videos. $60 mic, not too expensive either.
2015-11-13
Use props
sdchew
lvl.3

Singapore

Yupe. Just ordered a Rode VideoMicro from Amazon. Now just awaiting the arrival of the universal mount and the mic
2015-11-16
Use props
scottcoers
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1616480 ft
United States

I just bought one of these, I'll let you know how it works out in a couple of days

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product ... _detailpage_o00_s00
2015-11-17
Use props
scottcoers
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1616480 ft
United States

I just bought one of these, I'll let you know how it works out in a couple of days

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product ... _detailpage_o00_s00
2015-11-17
Use props
derek.adams
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5938 ft
United Kingdom

Well I've just dug out my Audio Technica lavalier lapel mic (ATR3350) and it works surprisingly well. When on my lapel it pics me up strong but also a voice quite well from the front though a little distant sounding. It comes with many feet of wire so I rolled it up and tucked it in the pocket. By being on my lapel it's nowhere near the Osmo's noisy gimbal.

Whatever, it's leagues ahead of the diabolical Osmo mic.

Here's a link:

http://www.audio-technica.com/cm ... 168eef6f/index.html

2015-11-21
Use props
Gary R.
lvl.1
Flight distance : 764396 ft
Australia

Here is a link to a comparison of several mic's used on the OSMO.

2015-11-21
Use props
quadcopterguide
lvl.4
Flight distance : 828904 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Yea I agree for non interview videos the Rode Video Micro is the way to go. Can't wait to get mine.
2015-12-3
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

Gary R. Posted at 2015-11-22 13:08
Here is a link to a comparison of several mic's used on the OSMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F ...

Thanks for your sharing, very helpful!
2015-12-3
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

hamradiofreak Posted at 2015-10-27 10:11
i thin ...

Hi, about the RC mobile device holder, you can pull up that little two clamp on the holder, then you can fix your mobile phone on it.
2015-12-4
Use props
sdchew
lvl.3

Singapore

quadcopterguide Posted at 2015-12-4 05:15
Yea I agree for non interview videos the Rode Video Micro is the way to go. Can't wait to get mine.

Just received my Rode Video Micro. The audio quality with the Osmo is awesome!

Now I just have to wait for DJI to ship my universal mount and the extension rod!
2015-12-7
Use props
rsghowellnj
lvl.4
Flight distance : 508255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Does anyone know if there is an input volume adjustment on the external microphone jack?  Couldn't find it in the DJI Go App.  I'm using a pretty high end Senheiser wireless Microphone and before I start to crank up the volume from the Senheiser, I wanted to see if there was something on the DJI Go App that would crank up the volume.  I normally use the senheister wirless Microphone on my camcorder and it has superior sound quality.
2015-12-9
Use props
rsghowellnj
lvl.4
Flight distance : 508255 ft
  • >>>
United States

rsghowellnj@gma Posted at 2015-12-9 21:52
Does anyone know if there is an input volume adjustment on the external microphone jack?  Couldn't f ...

Okay figured it out .... operator error.  I'm using the Sennheiser EW 100 G2 with a lavalier microphone that came with the Sennheiser.  The voice quality was very good and obviously there was no noise from the OSMO.  I'm sure with an even better cavalier microphone the volume could be improved even greater.
2015-12-9
Use props
sdchew
lvl.3

Singapore

Have to say this is a pretty mean looking setup... will feedback after I give it more than an initial spin..
2015-12-11
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules