Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Olympus 12mm lens hood
4631 25 2015-10-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rockliffe
lvl.3
Flight distance : 442743 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Can someone please let me know whether the X5 has been designed/balanced to work with the Olympus 12mm, with a lens hood or without a lens hood. Thanks.
2015-10-23
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

Do not use a lens hood with the Oly 12mm lens.
2015-10-23
Use props
rockliffe
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-10-23 18:31
Do not use a lens hood with the Oly 12mm lens.

Thanks Ed, although that's not what I wanted to hear. I can immediately see from the position of the lens element that flare could be a problem. Now I'm perplexed as to why DJI have not taken into account the lens+hood when creating the profiles for the different lenses. What pro photographer uses a lens without a lens hood? That's ridiculous. Is there no way round this?
2015-10-23
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

rockliffe@btcon Posted at 2015-10-23 11:32
Thanks Ed, although that's not what I wanted to hear. I can immediately see from the position of t ...

It is a balance issue.  You do not want to overload the gimbal servo motors.
2015-10-23
Use props
rockliffe
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-10-23 20:24
It is a balance issue.  You do not want to overload the gimbal servo motors.

Sure, I understand. But is this the official response from DJI regarding this matter?
2015-10-23
Use props
gybo102
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2426230 ft
United States

I also would like to know, Is there any official Info regarding using specific lenses yet? hood / no hood, too heavy or not. We know there is 3 lenses that can be used, but that's all we know.
thank you
2015-10-23
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

rockliffe@btcon Posted at 2015-10-23 12:38
Sure, I understand. But is this the official response from DJI regarding this matter?

Yes it is.  It is also stated in the manual.
2015-10-23
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

gybo102 Posted at 2015-10-23 16:03
I also would like to know, Is there any official Info regarding using specific lenses yet? hood / no ...

We are testing other lenses.  We have only stated that 3 will currently work with the X5.  I assume that we will be adding more.
2015-10-23
Use props
kcobello
lvl.2
Flight distance : 190 ft
United States

I use a lens hood on the 12mm. Purchased it from B & H.  Works fine and gives that added protection from sun and elements.

2015-10-29
Use props
rockliffe
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

kcobello@gmail. Posted at 2015-10-29 15:14
I use a lens hood on the 12mm. Purchased it from B & H.  Works fine and gives that added protection  ...

'Do not use a lens hood with the Oly 12mm lens.'   so this is yet another example of conflicting information on the forum...
2015-10-29
Use props
mydogisdead
lvl.3
Flight distance : 8250568 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

I didn't use a lense hood but I did add a polar filter... It seems more balanced now.
2015-10-30
Use props
dennismurry08
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5948264 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have the hood and put it on the Oly lense. (GH-3 and a GH-4) The camera is no longer balanced in the Zenmuse and the motor will fry. Do not unbalance your gimbal or you're out a couple grand.
2015-10-30
Use props
rockliffe
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

dennismurry08@c Posted at 2015-10-30 21:08
I have the hood and put it on the Oly lense. (GH-3 and a GH-4) The camera is no longer balanced in t ...

That's what I have been told by Tahoe Ed also.
2015-10-31
Use props
Thompsonrh
lvl.1

Canada

I have just acquired the Olympus M.Zuiko ED 12mm f/2.0 for my Inspire 1 Pro. I note that with this lens attached and the Inspire 1 is powered off, the gimbal and camera flop nose up (lens facing the ceiling) which implied to me that it is not well balanced. The original DJI 15mm configuration (with lens hood and ring) rests horizontal. So I added the balancing ring that came with DJI lens to the Olympus 12mm and that combined configuration did rest fairly horizontal when powered off & on. So I'm guessing that the best balance is achieved with DJI balancing ring attached to the Olympus M.Zuiko ED 12mm f/2.0? Any thoughts DJI? Other than that it does seem to function correctly and when powered up and slewed through all angles, it seems to work correctly, I didn't hear any groaning from the gimbal. However, I would like a lens hood so may mold one out of cinefoil.
2015-11-23
Use props
skycam
lvl.4

Australia

rockliffe@btcon Posted at 2015-10-24 02:32
Thanks Ed, although that's not what I wanted to hear. I can immediately see from the position of t ...

You can use a hood with the 12mm... but.. you MUST put a counter balance on the back of the camera ...
2015-11-25
Use props
Thompsonrh
lvl.1

Canada

Have been test flying with the Olympus 12mm without the lens hood (but have attached the lens ring that came with the DJI 15mm, just seemed more balanced with the ring) and it works perfectly and doing 360 panos in bright sunlight and not seen any lens flare so maybe the lens hood isn't necessary. Nice results, love the raw capture of the X5
2015-11-28
Use props
rockliffe
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'm guessing that the best balance is achieved with DJI balancing ring attached to the Olympus M.Zuiko ED 12mm f/2.0? Any thoughts DJI?   ???? any response from DJI?
2015-12-12
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

rockliffe@btcon Posted at 2015-12-12 22:00
I'm guessing that the best balance is achieved with DJI balancing ring attached to the Olympus M.Zu ...

Works fine with the added balance ring. It is still not as perfectly balanced as the stock lens but after a few hours of flying, I've not had problems.  I'm enjoying this lens.
2015-12-13
Use props
felixmiziozniko
lvl.4
Flight distance : 12780633 ft
  • >>>
United States

i have an nd filter on it and it's perfectly balanced. now for night shooting this wont work so looking for something else.
2016-5-19
Use props
joelanai
lvl.1

United States

This is all a bit confusing for me.   I am using the X5 / Olympus 12mm combo on the Osmo.   I have checked (and double checked) with DJI about using the 12mm with no balancing ring.   I've been told no balancing ring is needed... yet, as mentioned, the camera is, definitely, "bottom heavy" with the 12mm lens attached and the power off   It would seem logical that this would be straining the servos to hold this, unbalanced, camera/lens combo in a stabilized position.   I'm going to go ahead and use the system as recommended... hoping it doesn't fry the servos.
2016-5-23
Use props
mikes1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1740699 ft
  • >>>
United States

joelanai Posted at 2016-5-23 17:31
This is all a bit confusing for me.   I am using the X5 / Olympus 12mm combo on the Osmo.   I have c ...

This post doesn't address the Osmo directly but maybe it will help. I have been using the stock DJI lens and it is well balanced. With the ND filter or clear Haze/UV filter, rubber dust ring and hood it is pretty good. The balance ring is used if no extra lens is used but I won't fly without something protecting the lens so when ever balancing the camera I always consider the Haze/UV or ND filter as a permanent part of the camera. The Olympus 12mm using a clear Haze/UV or ND filter, "no hood or balance ring" needs some weight on the back of the gimbal. I have also had to add weight to the tilt motor because it leans or rolls the camera to the left. Stock lens does not. As a side note I'm undecided about the need for a lens hood. I have taken some great pictures and video with out it. I would use it if it didn't adversely effect the balance. I also have the Olympus 25mm and have similar results the only difference being I use the stock Olympus hood that came with it. You might also want to check the yaw balance by pointing the nose straight up and positioning the gimbal at different spots. Mine was off some and I did add weight to it. Not sure if any of the minor weight issues are bad but I have to believe that "long term" a well balanced gimbal might be better for the motors. Also I have found when using the 25mm lens you can see a slight amount of wobble if the gimbal is off balance. This tells me that the gimbal is trying to find a "resting' place but can't because of a balance issue. Not that big a deal if you are moving but it could affect the still shot with a long exposure or video quality if you are just hovering. Speaking about the still picture, if your gimbal is "hunting or moving" it could lead you to believe the camera is out of focus or having other camera setting issues. This could drive you crazy trying to get a clear picture. Very difficult to see the movement on your IPad using a 12mm or 15mm but the movement is there just the same. Bottom line I think it really doesn't matter what the factory tell us should work, each individual needs to check their gimbal in all three axis and balance accordingly with each lens they use. If anyone is interested I can describe how I balance my setup. Hope this helps.
2016-6-2
Use props
robertrees
lvl.1

rockliffe@btcon Posted at 2015-12-12 22:00
I'm guessing that the best balance is achieved with DJI balancing ring attached to the Olympus M.Zu ...

I have just received my Olympus 12mm, and noticed the exact same initial results with unbalance.  Understand one thing, DJI is NOT a professional cinematography company (as say Blackmagic or Panasonic's  4K GH4 would offer).  They are rebranding off the shelf items to offer a package.  Someone who wants the ability to shoot out of the box cinema film quality aerials is in neverland.  

I purchased the Inspire 1 Pro a year ago and have been shooting, and perfecting the craft.  I recently acquired a need for the 12mm and purchased it.  It is worth while to note that you probably fall into one of two categories if you are acquiring this setup: 1st, you are a professional photographer that wants to take your shoot to the next level and capture your images from an airborne platform; or 2nd, you are a someone who has zero knowledge of the aforementioned, and think you can have it handed to you by DJI.  

DJI offers a great "out of the box" experience.  The 15mm stock lens has a very narrow focal range for me, but I fall into the earlier category and know exactly what I want.  If you purchase the 12mm Olympus from DJI, you are not in the professional photographer category, because you can get that lens from a number of reputable camera vendors for far less (B&H was mentioned above).  But adding a lens to an airborne gimbal stabilized platform is much different than adding it to a ground platform.  If you want professional results, you need to be a professional first.  You have to know HOW DJI goes about achieving the results they offer and then compensate for the changes that you want to make. YES, DJI says the 12mm is compatible, and it is.  They never made any claim that it will offer the exact same performance as the stock 15mm lens.  

THE SOLUTION: I have yet to attach this lens to my Inspire.  Before doing so, I have spent several hours, realizing what the issue is, and finding a way to solve it.  As a professional photographer, I can tell you that there are absolutely NO shots that I take that come directly form the camera to the client.  All of my shots get retouched for the effect the client is attempting to achieve.  Knowing that, I go into the shoots armed with filters to reduce my workload.

I have a variety of Polar Pro filters for Micro 4/3 cameras.  If you don't have one, then you are WAY behind the power curve and shooting crappy video.  If you do own one, attach it to the 12mm lens, and you will find an almost perfect balance.  If "almost" perfect is not for you, you can add a .5 gram weight and achieve THE PERFECT balance on this lens.  

This class is over.  
2016-7-9
Use props
Octocott
lvl.2
Flight distance : 668694 ft
  • >>>
Russia

Yet still. 12mm as it is feels UNBALANCED! Should be something to weight out the back.
2016-9-24
Use props
ricci2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 61158 ft
  • >>>
France

hi all just to compound the consensus, a small lead fishing weights attached to where it is needed for  a neutral balance with the lens cap off. Any accessory that goes on the front will need lead on the rear. Beat the lead shot flat and put double sided tape on it to fix, cut bits off to get it correct. start by weighing any filter, hood, visor, ect and pick the shot that is just over the nose weight and trim to have neutral balance. Its not rocket science, its physics....Just done the above to my X5 and Olympus 12-42 zoom, added 5g to counter the UVA filter on the rear and 3g to the yaw arm opposite the pitch motor. however the same lens on the Osmo mounted from the top is out of balance, invert the osmo and all is well again. the Olympus 12-42 as certified by DJI has a longitudinal mass offset biased to the top or the gimbal horizontal mounting arms are offset below the centre line of the camera. my money is for the arm offset as the camera lens combo is statically balanced hanging under the craft. some things you have to compromise unless you have different weights for the osmo and M600...
food for thought..

r
2016-9-25
Use props
mgv1vl13SFxq
New

Argentina

zenmuse not get update x5 in my matrice 600 HELP!!!
2016-9-27
Use props
JoeMaui
lvl.1

United States

I'm using the Zenmuse 5, with Olympus 12mm, on the Osmo.    I have used no balancing ring, as per DJI instruction, but the servo motors seem to be in a major strain all the time.   It seems logical, to me, that the rig should be balanced when it's not powered up... but it is, very much, "back heavy"... and flops, nose up, when not powered.   Just does not make sense to me...
2016-12-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules