Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Make best of your drone photos
1234Next >
32935 122 2015-11-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Madebyvadim
Captain
Flight distance : 2023002 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Juliano Cruz Posted at 2015-12-2 20:14
Thank you for your tips Vadim!

Here is something that is worth to learn. Very useful thread, congra ...

Hey Juliano,

I am glad you liked it!! Welcome!

Vadim
2015-12-2
Use props
simonm
lvl.4
Flight distance : 406886 ft
United Kingdom

Great article and fabulous photos, thanks.

One thing with your English that made me chuckle was towards the end where you suggest that we 'hoover' for a while after take-off.

The correct spelling is hover(only one O). In English we use 'to hoover' meaning to use a vacuum cleaner, originated from the brand name of Hoover who were the first company to mass produce vacuum cleaners in the early 1900s.

The idea of a Phantom being hoovered appeals to my sense of humour.

2015-12-6
Use props
simonm
lvl.4
Flight distance : 406886 ft
United Kingdom

One thing with your English that made me chuckle was towards the end where you suggest that we 'hoover' for a while after take-off.

The correct spelling is hover(only one O). In English we use 'to hoover' meaning to use a vacuum cleaner, originated from the brand name of Hoover who were the first company to mass produce vacuum cleaners in the early 1900s.

The idea of a Phantom being hoovered appeals to my sense of humour.

2015-12-6
Use props
Madebyvadim
Captain
  • >>>
Russia

simonm Posted at 2015-12-6 16:47

One thing with your English that made me chuckle was tow ...

Ha ha

I get that, I was living in UK for 5 years so I fully aware of Hoover.
Have to correct that, thanks.

Yes, a drone hoovering would definitely be a novelty and funny

Vadim.
2015-12-7
Use props
leoamartinez
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1602986 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

Wow, excellent pictures and excellent recommendations, i also use 95% bracketing pictures and i will start using an X5 camera today, any reommedations?

Also, how its possible to do a panorama with Phantom 3?

Thanks a lot!
2016-1-17
Use props
Madebyvadim
Captain
  • >>>
Russia

leoamartinez@gm Posted at 2016-1-17 18:15
Wow, excellent pictures and excellent recommendations, i also use 95% bracketing pictures and i will ...

Hey leoamartinez,

Thank you.
So X5 , right? Lucky you. I sill with DJI Phantom X3 camera. So I believe all the recommendation I made apply on X5 but whats greta you will get more reach pictures due to X5 better raw and color handling. So good luck with that.

About Panorama. Its quite easy you just shot one shot (bracketing or not( then rotate horizontal  without changing vertical direction of camera or drone altitude. Rotate that you still see about 30% of previous picture in that case panorama sticking software can make the connection.
Also if you don't have time to make panoramas with raw and bracketing and stuff , you can just record video and slowly move camera 180 or 360 degrees. it will be lesser quality since radio is not recorded in raw format, but at least something if you really out of time or battery. Also rotate slowly so there will be no motion blur on video frames. later you just extract several video frames with 30% overlapping of the area and you can stick the to panorama like this

Panorama form video

Panorama form video
2016-1-17
Use props
pantera989
lvl.4

New Zealand

Should take photos in 4:3, the 16:9 is just an 4:3 cropped.

You can then crop to whatever aspect ratio you want after the fact (I use 3:2 as I think it looks the best). If you start with the lower resolution 16:9 file, then if you try to crop to 3:2 or 4:3 afterwards, you going to end up with a lower resolution photo.

Even if you want 16:9 as your final aspect ratio, shooting 4:3 and cropping to 16:9 will give you no lose of resolution (as this is what the camera is doing anyway), but it lets you slide up and down within the 4:3 frame if you got something at the top or bottom edge of the photo you don't want, without dropping the resolution.

Also, how do you get 3 second exposures? Anything past about 1/20 looks blurry on my drone as it doesn't seem to be able to sit still enough for anything longer.
2016-1-17
Use props
Madebyvadim
Captain
  • >>>
Russia

pantera989@gmai Posted at 2016-1-17 22:52
Should take photos in 4:3, the 16:9 is just an 4:3 cropped.

You can then crop to whatever aspect ra ...

You are right about 4:3 but in order to later crop it to 16:9 you have atlas invasion it right on the spot, and its sometimes a bit difficult, so I , for example shoot both and at leat I get 2 formats to choose form , or later crop.

As for the 3 second exposure. I just shoot a lot of frames and later see what is less blurred. I be honest 90% of them is blurred to no-use-point, but a get away with 1 or 2 out of 20 . maybe wind just stop for that seconds, or something and I get lucky.

Regards,
Vadim.
2016-1-18
Use props
HunterBrooks
Second Officer

United States

simonm Posted at 2015-12-6 04:48

One thing with your English that made me chuckle was tow ...

Hey simonm, you left in that extra "u" in humor by mistake.  : )

Vadim, never try to change your writing accent - it makes your posts more genuine.  Btw, I have followed your advice numerous times - great work, and thanks.

Keep those cards and letters comin'.  
2016-1-19
Use props
leoamartinez
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1602986 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

Madebyvadim Posted at 2016-1-17 13:44
Hey leoamartinez,

Thank you.

Excellent, thank you!!!
2016-1-26
Use props
Madebyvadim
Captain
  • >>>
Russia

HunterBrooks Posted at 2016-1-20 10:19
Hey simonm, you left in that extra "u" in humor by mistake.  : )

Vadim, never try to change your  ...

Hey HunterBrooks,

Thanks a lot. I am not a writing type person, I prefer to speak, ut I will keep you advice in mind if I will write anything again.

Fly safe.
2016-1-26
Use props
Nicola90s
Captain
Flight distance : 3060869 ft
Italy

Огромное спасибо!

Thanks so much for your advice, and cool your pictures at 90 degree!
2016-2-10
Use props
Madebyvadim
Captain
  • >>>
Russia

Nicola90s Posted at 2016-2-11 01:02
Огромное спасибо!

Thanks so much for your advice, and cool your pictures at 90 degre ...

You are most welcome!
2016-2-11
Use props
Rebel Gal
lvl.1

United States

Great Information...Thank you

or if it is politically correct I would like to say "Thank you, Comrade "
2016-2-11
Use props
Madebyvadim
Captain
  • >>>
Russia

Rebel Gal Posted at 2016-2-12 02:52
Great Information...Thank you

or if it is politically correct I would like to say "Thank you, Comr ...

Your are welcome, comrade!
2016-2-12
Use props
bobasbury
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1140502 ft
  • >>>
United States

"Conclusion

Although I really love using drones for a new and exited photo opportunities, I often wish that DJI gave us an even better quality camera at affordable price, so we could use the Phantom series, (one of the best on the market, in my opinion) at its full potential."

So in conclusion you want a better camera for less money?  How about this:

"It's amazing that for 1200 bucks you can photograph places heretofore inaccessible by foot, boat,  plane, ladder or rickshaw, shoot the picture via remote control with a 1 mile range, shoot with a high-quality camera packed with the best specs available for a light-weight application, stabilize the camera with stunning accuracy and reliability even in high winds when the drone is hundreds of feet in the windy atmosphere.  It's amazing that you can hold a shot high in the air, and even enjoy a cup of coffee in your field chair while admiring the view from your drone.  It's amazing that you can do today for 1200 dollars what you couldn't do 8 years ago for any amount of money. It is amazing that all of this technology, innovation and game-changing fun can be had at a price that makes it available to thousands of people whose images are now only limited by their imagination.  DJI nailed it."

That's MY conclusion.
2016-2-12
Use props
Madebyvadim
Captain
  • >>>
Russia

bobasbury Posted at 2016-2-12 18:05
"Conclusion

Although I really love using drones for a new and exited photo opportunities, I often w ...

Hey Bobasbury,

First, I did not say I want better camera for less money its totally your assumption which I could not confirm. I did say want I wish they give us better camera for the money I am paying. The camera sensors are getting cheaper each year or so , so my conclusion was what I would wish that they improve camera in the NEXT DJI Phantom 4 and keep the cost the same ( which in my opening affordable). For now there is no alternative either you stack with DJI existing camera or pay 2200 USD for X5 camera + new drone = around 4000 usd.

Second although I am agree with your statement that the game is radically changed by drone and DJI in particulate, and its amazing peace of technology, but it's their 10th anniversary (TENTH), so I think the awe that we all had when we use their products is here, but let move on. If we all, 10 years later, still be amazed by the touch screen of the first iPhone and "afraid" to "ask" for more we all still using the iPhone 3G now.

I still amazed each time I fly a drone and taking pictures but I think I can make a WISH for better camera in my conclusion. I did not insult anyone, believe me DJI knows that there is a room to improve especially in low light conditions as well as noise and resolution.

Fly safe.
2016-2-13
Use props
bobasbury
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1140502 ft
  • >>>
United States

Madebyvadim Posted at 2016-2-13 20:16
Hey Bobasbury,

First, I did not say I want better camera for less money its totally your assumpt ...

My assumption is based on your strong implication.  You say "I WISH they give us better....."  The word wish means to yearn for what you do not have.  The implication you gave therefore is for an AFFORDABLE better quality camera.

We can split hairs with the English language if you'd like, but the conclusion to your review is a nebulous knot that ignores the many many amazing traits of this drone.
2016-2-15
Use props
Sebb
First Officer
Flight distance : 498199 ft
  • >>>
Germany

> I would not recommend going over 3 sec exposure and advise, to rather go higher ISO, in order to stay in that 3 sec range, than using longer shutter speed.

Vadim, are you saying you are successfully shooting 3sec long exposure with a drone??
2016-4-2
Use props
nigelw
First Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

Sebb Posted at 2016-4-2 11:28
> I would not recommend going over 3 sec exposure and advise, to rather go higher ISO, in order to s ...

I have successfully shot some 2 second exposures with my P3 in 14mph wind during testing.
http://forum.dji.com/thread-39468-1-1.html
2016-4-2
Use props
esokolov1977
lvl.1

Slovenia

Вадим, спасибо за пару ценных советов!
Vadim, thanks for a couple of advices. But - for shooting ratio - I strongly recommend to shoot in 4:3. P3P doesn't allow you to physically choose to shoot in 4:3 or 16:9  - it shoots in 4:3 all the time in 4000x3000 resolution,, and then simply crop a picture from bottom and top  into 16:9 if selected, which is 4000:2250. It is  Iike allowing drone to compress raw into jpg, what you never do with your drone. Shoot 4:3 and then crop it to 3:2 or 16:9.
Drone on, Vadim!
2016-4-2
Use props
chrissttian
lvl.1

Romania

Thank you so much Vadim for your time and efort put in to this.

ps: you got my Like on Medium ;)
2016-4-2
Use props
Mike9129
First Officer
Flight distance : 4112812 ft
Ireland

Hey, just a quick question, maybe youve answered it already, but how do you decide which ND filter your going to need up in the air before you launch?

or do you launch, see what your getting and then put on the filter?

ofc its easy on traditional cameras, theyre in our hands and theyve easy to read exposure meters, how do you do the same thing with drones?

thanks!
2016-4-4
Use props
Madebyvadim
Captain
  • >>>
Russia

esokolov1977@ma Posted at 2016-4-2 23:30
Вадим, спасибо за пару ценных советов!
Vadim, thanks for a couple of ...

I agree on 4:3 and 16:9 comments , however for me its easier to compose when I see actual 16:9 or 4:3 not in my head, later, on post. So I often quickly switch to 16: or 4:3, recompose accordingly and reshoot.
2016-4-7
Use props
Madebyvadim
Captain
  • >>>
Russia

chrissttian Posted at 2016-4-3 10:44
Thank you so much Vadim for your time and efort put in to this.

ps: you got my Like on Medium ;)

Thank you so much!!
And thanks for Medium like.
2016-4-7
Use props
Madebyvadim
Captain
  • >>>
Russia

Mike9129 Posted at 2016-4-5 02:57
Hey, just a quick question, maybe youve answered it already, but how do you decide which ND filter y ...

Hey Mike.
I use ND filter for video to reduce the frame rate to 1/50. So its usually second battery run and I already knew the exposure measurement form the first battery fly. Or if I first time then its just an educated guess I suppose based on time of the day. Attach say Nd6 then start the drone fly a few second see the exposure reading,  then if its not the right one then just land and change.
2016-4-7
Use props
andrec00
lvl.1
Flight distance : 54590 ft
Portugal

Thanks for the knowledge
2016-4-7
Use props
justin.owen
lvl.3

Spain

Guys,

There's some stunning photo's on here - but can you tell me what's going on with RAW/JPG stills on my P3A?

There is noticeable distortion between the two formats - and to my untrained eye (and I've not done any experiments with this yet) the JPG actually looks less distorted than the RAW files.

I've tried to show the differences by switching between them in this photo;

http://youtu.be/X7HqbdpyjWs

Thanks in advance.

J.
2016-4-7
Use props
Madebyvadim
Captain
  • >>>
Russia

justin.owen Posted at 2016-4-7 17:48
Guys,

There's some stunning photo's on here - but can you tell me what's going on with RAW/JPG sti ...

I see. Its looks like the lens correction is applied to JPGS photos by default.
Try the following import the RAW file into Lightroom and in DEVELOP section got o Lens correction on the left (scroll down) Press the tick in first field Enable Profile Correction. I bet you will se the the "shift" and after that export it to JPGS and 99% you will see the same result as JPGS out of DJI camera.

Let me know if it s works.  
2016-4-8
Use props
Madebyvadim
Captain
  • >>>
Russia

andrec00 Posted at 2016-4-7 14:56
Thanks for the knowledge

You are most welcome!
2016-4-8
Use props
justin.owen
lvl.3

Spain

Madebyvadim Posted at 2016-4-9 02:43
I see. Its looks like the lens correction is applied to JPGS photos by default.
Try the following ...

Cheers,

I have an old version of lightroom but will check this week and report back...

Justin.
2016-4-10
Use props
Madebyvadim
Captain
  • >>>
Russia

justin.owen Posted at 2016-4-11 10:29
Cheers,

I have an old version of lightroom but will check this week and report back...

It might be that even older version of Lightroom has it.
2016-4-11
Use props
Bhujang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 534587 ft
United Kingdom

This is so useful to me, I have re-read it! Can you please explain the bracketing in more detail?
2016-4-11
Use props
Madebyvadim
Captain
  • >>>
Russia

Bhujang Posted at 2016-4-11 11:10
This is so useful to me, I have re-read it! Can you please explain the bracketing in more detail?

Thank you so much!
Bracketing is basically 3 or 5 shots which is taking automatically by your camera one shot is perfectly exposed (according to camera metering system) one or two is under exposed and one or 2 is over exposed.
Ok now why do I need those shots? Have you ever taking photos on a bright day over the sky and land and end up with something like sky is white or background is dark but not both looking great? I bet you did ? So thats why the bracketing is here, since the camera could bot do as well as our eyes and see so many stops right away - perfect sky as well as perfect background, so there is a "trick" to use bracketing and later combine it into good exposed overall photo. Some called it HDR but HRD is lately overused terms and usually means something overdone , but if you do it correctly (combine those bracketing photos) then you end up with great and natural looking photo.

Hope it helps.
2016-4-12
Use props
Bhujang
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Madebyvadim Posted at 2016-4-13 08:34
Thank you so much!
Bracketing is basically 3 or 5 shots which is taking automatically by your cam ...

Ahhh I see yes I Photoshop jewellery in a similar fashion. Would you use the multiple setting in the go app then? Or do you mean to taker these pictures manually one at a time?
2016-4-13
Use props
Madebyvadim
Captain
  • >>>
Russia

Bhujang Posted at 2016-4-13 13:53
Ahhh I see yes I Photoshop jewellery in a similar fashion. Would you use the multiple setting in t ...

In the app! It's called AEB. Depending on the app version it could be in menu or in the shutter button. Please do not mistake it with HRD since its all automatic inside the app and not always great.
2016-4-14
Use props
Bhujang
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Madebyvadim Posted at 2016-4-14 16:32
In the app! It's called AEB. Depending on the app version it could be in menu or in the shutter bu ...

Thanks for that, found it. What's the difference between AEB and MULTI? If both are taking a series of pictures around one point of interest?
2016-4-14
Use props
microcyb
First Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

Wow this is a great article you have there!
2016-4-14
Use props
RICK8162JR
lvl.3
Flight distance : 47192 ft
United States

WoW your the man thanks for posting great tips for me thank you
2016-4-14
Use props
Madebyvadim
Captain
  • >>>
Russia

microcyb Posted at 2016-4-14 23:55
Wow this is a great article you have there!

Thank you so much
2016-4-16
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules