Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Using batteries in the cold weather
12Next >
58090 68 2015-11-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

November of 2015, some places are snowing already, some places are just getting cold, but it doesn’t stop us from flying…However we have to be careful flying in this weather conditions…
shutterstock_230709043.jpg
All we know that batteries used in DJIaircraft are Li-Po batteries. Li-Po stands for Lithium-Polymer, which means it allows us to withdraw a lot of power out of small battery pack.
Basic knowledge:
1.      Full charge your battery before each flight.
2.      Never overdischarge your battery
3.      Cycle the battery by discharging to 8% and full charging again every 20 flights
4.      Intelligent flight batteries can automatically discharge themselves to enter storage mode
5.      Discharge time depends on users settings and takes from 1 to 10 days
Alright, let’s get back to our topic. Since Li-Po batteries are not made to fly below 0 degree C battery performance can be not as good as in a normal temperature 5C to 30C
Low temperature flight negative consequences:
1.      Shorten flight time
2.      Fast voltage drop
Ways to prevent the issues described up there:
1.      Never store packs in cold
2.      Start the motors but don’t fly up, let your bird to warm up for a minute.
3.      Please keep
the aircraft
hovering  for 30 to 60 seconds before taking further action.
4.      Do not keep the aircraft fully accelerated for long time.
5.      Be gentle on a RC sticks
6.      Outdoors keep your batteries in thermal insulation box with bag of hot rice  
(Uncooked rice warmed up in a microwave keeps  temperature very good)
7.      Inspire owners can use the battery insulation stickers
large_tb48.jpg
8.      Inspire owners also can use a battery heater to pre-heat their batteries before the flight.

medium_p3.png
Here is the video I really like, at 1:20 on a timeline professional pilots from DJI Studio talking about batteries usage in extreme cold conditions
Fly safe and have a great winter!
2015-11-11
Use props
tmygun1
First Officer
Flight distance : 2972497 ft
  • >>>
United States

As usual, great info Tim!
2015-11-11
Use props
pfachan
New

United States

Great Stuff Tim....Not so cold here in New Mexico yet but plan on flying when it does
2015-11-11
Use props
Machoman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1036959 ft
Austria

I am trying to order Insulation stickers for 2 months without success now. Ok I am not willing to pay 20,- postage for a letter and I dont pay 5,- for a 2,- product like many dealers try to sell it up to 5x retail price.

So I could find not ONE dealer in my area where a) I could pick it up - NO ONE HAS THEM b) I could order at normal price - incl. amazon and ebay of course where you also cannot buy it.

The video is very interesting - but would be fine to know how they fly. Is it Atti or autonomous? I see they fly below 2m following the vehicles - is this really safe no to crash it into the road? Also do they have sensors switched on or off? If on why is the snow not a problem like the manual says?
2015-11-11
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

Nice sharing ! Tim !  This is really useful when winter is comming to most of countries in the world .
2015-11-11
Use props
Paniza
First Officer
Flight distance : 1411801 ft
Canada

Great reminders Tim.

We Canadians have to keep that in mind at all times.

I did some flying around last weekend around +5C and already felt that the batteries discharged a bit faster.

None of the less, still I had the usual blast.
2015-11-11
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hello Tim, Great reminders and thanks for sharing the DJI video.... That's Cold!!

Rich
2015-11-11
Use props
Dioden
Second Officer
Sweden

Could be a good thing to have a spare battery in a pocket ner your body, when it's cold outside.

/Lempa

2015-11-11
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Thanks for your support, guys! keep it warm!{:3_48:}
2015-11-11
Use props
rodger
Captain
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great stuff Tim. Also a reminder to let the camera adjust to the ambient temperature outside prior to installing the battery. In doing that the camera lens will not fog up.
2015-11-12
Use props
dbmoss.me
lvl.4

United States

One piece of gear that I find "handy" are Millar Mitts and after each flight I pull the battery and use it to warm my hands.
Millar mitts.jpg
2015-11-12
Use props
RozBujnik
lvl.1

Canada

Thank you for posting. But, why does the manual that came with the battery say it can be used between -10C to +40C?
2015-11-12
Use props
Paniza
First Officer
Flight distance : 1411801 ft
Canada

RozBujnik Posted at 2015-11-12 11:11
Thank you for posting. But, why does the manual that came with the battery say it can be used betwee ...

Hi RozBujnik,

Yes you can use the battery at -10C but don't expect it to discharge the same rate as at +25oC.

That is not DJI that is the nature of the LiPo technology.

Cheers.
2015-11-12
Use props
sallen9735
New

United States

Machoman Posted at 2015-11-11 11:35
I am trying to order Insulation stickers for 2 months without success now. Ok I am not willing to pa ...

ebay has stickers for batteries
2015-11-12
Use props
Machoman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1036959 ft
Austria

sallen9735@aol. Posted at 2015-11-12 23:34

I am in Europe it doesnt help me if there are some at 2 USD in USA but will have 20 USD sending cost.
2015-11-12
Use props
rodger
Captain
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

BTW Tim, great video on the Audi shoot.
2015-11-12
Use props
Michael M
First Officer
Flight distance : 1984898 ft
Canada

great info, what is the best operating temperature?  is there a temp we should get to just by hovering before actually taking off?
2015-11-12
Use props
Madebyvadim
Captain
Flight distance : 2023002 ft
  • >>>
Russia

Awesome share. Thanks. Really helpful especially in mother Russia
2015-11-13
Use props
KaiserSoze9
Captain
Flight distance : 34753871 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Thanks for infos!
2015-11-14
Use props
markwiss.hotmai
lvl.1
United States

Thanks Tim
2015-11-14
Use props
jacksdrone
lvl.4

United States

Thanks for info Tim!
2015-11-15
Use props
tpallai
Second Officer

United States

That video was so awesome
2015-11-15
Use props
SAFrankSU
lvl.4
United States

How risky is it to fly a Phantom 2 during a snowfall? I've gotten great usage out of it already and I'm willing to get another money shot at my drone's expense. Is there any way to protect and wrap the copper coils?
2015-11-15
Use props
dgoghia
lvl.1

United States

I was having an issue with sudden voltage error... I pre heated the batteries that solved the problem... Keep batteries warms is a must
2015-11-15
Use props
jeffreyqaunaq
lvl.4
Flight distance : 140164 ft
Canada

Great info, I live in cold climate most of the year, just a reminder that any Apple device will get cold fast and power will shut off, fly carefully
2015-11-17
Use props
Alastair
Second Officer
Flight distance : 96631 ft
Canada

sallen9735@aol. Posted at 2015-11-13 06:34

B and H sells them as well.
2015-11-17
Use props
Waldemar
New

New Zealand

The below graph illustrates the Lithium-Polymer batteries family Capacity ver Temp. Especially note the initial and sharp voltage drop.

Li-Po Cap. ver Temp.

Li-Po Cap. ver Temp.
2015-11-17
Use props
yorlik
lvl.4

United States

Good write up, but call me superstitious if you must, I take exception to #3)  hover 30-60 sec before further action....

My take on reading about real flyaways is the majority of real flyaways happen during no stick input hovering....  I NEVER hover for 30-60 sec:  I use that time slowly moving the sticks to keep action happening and not let the little guy get bored and decide to head for the west coast of Africa....  why take chances?  just jiggle the sticks a little during this warm up period, still gets the job done....
2015-11-18
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

yorlik Posted at 2015-11-18 23:43
Good write up, but call me superstitious if you must, I take exception to #3)  hover 30-60 sec befor ...

yes, it totally works, being soft and gentle on a sticks is pretty much the same as hovering. Main point of it is not to make any movements that will increase battery current amperage
2015-11-18
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Waldemar Posted at 2015-11-18 03:23
The below graph illustrates the Lithium-Polymer batteries family Capacity ver Temp. Especially note  ...

This picture explains everything, but the only thing i don't understand is a green line. seems like once you turn it on, battery voltage drops down to 3.0v (which almost brakes the battery) and it grows back to 3.3v ?
2015-11-18
Use props
DJI-Dave
Captain

United States

That SQ5 shoot was a great video!

Wow!
2015-11-18
Use props
DJI-Dave
Captain

United States

Here is the final product from the video above for those of you that enjoyed that video like I did.

2015-11-19
Use props
brycerichert
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-11-19 08:22
Here is the final product from the video above for those of you that enjoyed that video like I did.

Music... cuts... and puppies... that's what makes a final edit.
2015-11-21
Use props
Waldemar
New

New Zealand

DJI-Tim Posted at 2015-11-19 10:28
This picture explains everything, but the only thing i don't understand is a green line. seems li ...

Yes! That is the case in the extreme -40degC and the reason for the follow up Vol increase is the battery temp rise once you have current drain. That is why one should never use cold battery in the extreme low temp environment and the Battery Heater is an option “worth a gold”
2015-11-21
Use props
Sir Shepherd
Second Officer

United States

Does this apply to let's say 50-60deg weather too? Or just super cold weather that is below 40 etc.?
2015-11-22
Use props
joanenricc
lvl.3

Spain

Great!!!

Any heater for the P3 Pro battery?
2015-11-23
Use props
GQ.
Second Officer

Canada

I use those pocket heather inside a small isolated lunch pack with my batteries inside to keep them warm and ready.

http://heat.thermacell.com/heat-packs/heat-packs-pocket-warmer

2015-11-30
Use props
GQ.
Second Officer

Canada

The other problem is to keep our tablet warm. Not simple.
2015-11-30
Use props
coasteraddict
lvl.1
United States

I plan to do aerial footage in mountain areas near Gatlinburg, TN, in late January or early February. I already ordered a battery heater and have some stickers. Is it fair to say that both can work in conjunction? Once I put the stickers on, should I ever remove them? Are they to only be used during the colder weather? Also, does anybody know about how long the battery will drain when using the battery heater?
2015-12-10
Use props
Aero Sky Produc
lvl.1

Czechia

Thanks Tim, very useful information!
2015-12-10
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules