Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
What is D-LOG and how to use on OSMO?
35634 16 2015-11-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
andreib
lvl.1

Russia

Hello there people!
I'm new to video filming and editing, can any one to explain what is D-LOG and how to use it with the Osmo?
Using an i-Pad mini.
And the other question is why I cant change the ISO or SHUTER SPEED while recording!

latest firmware and iOS app!
Thanks!!!
2015-11-18
Use props
setiawan3d
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7861 ft
Indonesia

D-Log is a special gamma created for post production / editing purpose.
So what the camera do is shot 'flat', with less contrast, greyed shadow and not-too-bright on the highlight area. The plus is more 'dynamic range' from dark / shadow to bright / highlight
Then, in your chosen editor, you will need to apply curve or input color space to bring back from 'weird grey look' to 'comfortable' one.

Set
2015-11-18
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

D-LOG  mode can bring you more lightness and color details for the post-editing using PC software.
Yes, the camera parameters setting such as ISO and EV can't be changed during the recording process, because the video recording process is continuous, any change of settings during the process will cause the inconsistency of lightness and video quality. You can set the camera to auto mode in order to get natural footage.
2015-11-19
Use props
andreib
lvl.1

Argentina

Thank you soooo much for your answers
I have played with it a bit more and find that when u press on the screen it appears a box with a dot and it changes the lighting (darker or brighter) while recording
2015-11-19
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

That's spot metering mode and  if you close the yellow box, it will change to centre-Weighted Averaging.
2015-11-22
Use props
Thompsonrh
lvl.1

Canada

I'm more of a Photographer than videographer so I don't have pro tools for video. I've tried downloading the transcoder app from the DJI site but I'm guessing the app is only for iOS devices, it doesn't work on my MAC Pro ( it crashes before opening). So is there a simple was to transcode the d-log video?  I like to take max advantage of the sensor.
2015-12-1
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

Thompsonrh Posted at 2015-12-2 02:37
I'm more of a Photographer than videographer so I don't have pro tools for video. I've tried downloa ...

Hi, did you download the right version transcoding software for MAC , you should download the Inspire 1/Phantom 3/ X5 Transcoding Tool v1.0.0 DMG format which is for MAC. http://www.dji.com/product/inspire-1/info#downloadsOr do you mean that you can't open it in your MAC?
2015-12-1
Use props
alansworld
lvl.4
Flight distance : 27434 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-Amy Posted at 2015-12-2 03:38
Hi, did you download the right version transcoding software for MAC , you should download the Inspi ...

That software is extraordinarily buggy!  It keeps insisting that there should be something in input and output (there is - I opened folders, put files in the boxes, etc, etc) and I have not been able to get it to output anything.
2015-12-2
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

alansworld@gmai Posted at 2015-12-3 00:35
That software is extraordinarily buggy!  It keeps insisting that there should be something in inpu ...

The transcoding time can be very long depending on the file size and computer hardware. You need to choose the Input files and output directory of output file. The progress bar is not very accurate, it might change from 0% to 100% directly.
2015-12-2
Use props
FabricioE
lvl.3

Venezuela

DJI-Amy Posted at 2015-12-2 22:00
The transcoding time can be very long depending on the file size and computer hardware. You need to ...

Should I use the Transcoding software (of DJI) in order to take more advantage of the file or bit-depth? or Can I just use a software like Compressor (in Mac) and convert the codec to Proress, for example?

Regards.
2016-5-7
Use props
john_willetts.h
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I have no technical problems with D-Log on a PC. However, there is a major practical drawback.

The reduced contrast and saturation makes it virtually impossible to view the image on a Smartphone (Note 4) particularly in bright sunlight when D-Log would be at its most useful.
John
2016-5-8
Use props
Chuck1906
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3574003 ft
United States

I use MPEG Streamclip to convert my files over to Apple Pro Res 422 before I do any editing. I still use FCP7 but I am told with FCPX and Premiere Pro you don't have to convert those files. You can import those files right into your NLE and begin editing.
2016-8-27
Use props
fansa9803815
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

I fly a Phantom 4. I've never used D-Log. I always shoot in "None" mode because I'm hoping to get "what you see is what you get" video capture. I have a persistent issue with reds. They come out as a very dark pink - almost a blood red - and always have difficulty changing the hue back to the actual color. Do you think shooting in D-Log would help that issue?? Thanks in advance...
2016-11-22
Use props
stormpilgrim
lvl.1
Australia

fansa9803815 Posted at 2016-11-22 05:42
I fly a Phantom 4. I've never used D-Log. I always shoot in "None" mode because I'm hoping to get "what you see is what you get" video capture. I have a persistent issue with reds. They come out as a very dark pink - almost a blood red - and always have difficulty changing the hue back to the actual color. Do you think shooting in D-Log would help that issue?? Thanks in advance...

Hi Fansa a "what you see is what you get" goal is a good one but shooting in none or any other mode won't get you that.  You really do have to "photoshop" as people say or color grade etc.

A digital sensor will usually not capture a scene as you see it - especially low light or sunrises/sunsets etc.  It doesn't act like a human eye.  For instance an eye will look over a sunset scene in real life.. adjust our iris for the foreground darker areas and then again for the bright highlight areas in the sky.  Whereas a digital sensor has to record the whole scene at once at a single exposure setting (iso, aperture, shutterspeed etc) so in a contrasty scene it will have to either compromise on the brighter or darker areas or pic a inbetween setting so neither are quite right.

So yeah if you can shoot in something like raw or d-log it just gives you more latitude to use more information recorded (eg details in shadows) so you can tweak your footage to look more like the real scene looked if you prefer.
2017-3-3
Use props
ZMatuszak
lvl.2

United States

Hi Andreib, here is a helpful video which may clear up the D-Log Color Profile
2017-6-26
Use props
ZMatuszak
lvl.2

United States

Hi Andreib, here is a helpful video which may clear up the D-Log Color Profile
2017-6-26
Use props
Lamas
lvl.1
Flight distance : 29590 ft
Germany

it's basicly a similar process as when you take still pictures using a RAW file instead of JPEG, i only shoot Dlog and i like this profile even more than the so called protune from gopro
2017-11-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules