Phantom 2 Doesn't have Follow Me Mode?
8440 7 2015-11-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
David_
lvl.3
United States

I bought a Phantom 2 with a H3-3D gimbal. (It's not a Phantom 2 Vision or Vision+.) It's not obvious how to set up Follow Me mode. I know I need a phone or tablet mounted to the controller and that I need some app that will send the phone's position to the Phantom.

1. What app do I use for this? the DJI GO app doesn't seem to be the right one because, in the model select section, Phantom 2 is not an option.

2. The GoPro 3 I have can send video by acting as a WiFi server. Isn't there a way to use this video in conjunction with the app from the answer to #1?

3. What specifically differentiates a Phantom 3 electronics from a Phantom 2? More specifically, if you have a Phantom 2 and replaced the main board with one from a Phantom 3, would it have the newer flight mode features?

4. If I wanted to have a more adjustable camera view, (instead of just straight ahead and straight down), Would it be worth it to convert the Phantom 2 to use my Dx6i and receiver, or do I have to make too many compromises for it to be worth the trouble?

2015-11-20
Use props
crash1sttime
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1047503 ft
United Kingdom

Follow me mode only works with the P3 and the P2 vision range, not with the basic P2

The DJI GO app is for the P3 and inspire not the P2

The gopro uses the same 2.4ghz for its wifi as the P2 uses for its remote control, using them together will/can result in a flyaway

the difference in boards between a P2 and a P3 is substantial, the board in a p3 is bigger and has the ESC units built into it as well as the Naza unit.

im taking it that you have the basic controller with the 7th channel lever, if you want a more adjustable camera view then buy the newer version of the remote controller with the gimbal wheel, make sure to buy the 2.4ghz version, not the 5.8GHZ version that is used for the phantom Vision range.
2015-11-20
Use props
David_
lvl.3
United States

crash1sttime Posted at 2015-11-20 15:46
Follow me mode only works with the P3 and the P2 vision range, not with the basic P2

The DJI GO app ...

There is a solution for the GoPro video issue. You use a 5.8Ghz video transmitter and an adapter made for the GoPro, along with receiver googles. It's not worth it though. The costs adds up to more than the cost of just getting the Phantom 3 Standard, but still with less features.

Tl;DR
Cost(Phantom 2 + 5.8Ghz Transmitter + 5.8Ghz receiver) > Cost(Phantom 3 Standard)
2015-11-20
Use props
roy
Second Officer

United States

Save yourself some time , trouble, and money. Sell that one and pick up a P3 next week for $599.
2015-11-21
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

Good advice Roy!
2015-11-21
Use props
quanthonytrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Better advice would be to get the advance.
Pay a few extra bob for 5-10 x the range and better FPV reliability. Lightbridge is light years a head of Wifi.
2015-11-29
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

quanthonytrang Posted at 2015-11-29 16:50
Better advice would be to get the advance.
Pay a few extra bob for 5-10 x the range and better FPV ...

This guy and many others are getting great range.

2015-11-29
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

I don't quite get that kind of range, but I am getting more than good enough and more  than I need .
2015-11-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules