Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phantom 3 crash after unstoppable RTH, motherboard bricked after DJI inspection
3131 20 2015-11-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lbdrone
lvl.1

Canada

I used to be a proud owner of a Phantom 3 Advanced.
I'd like to share my bad experience because I believe others have experienced the same problems as me.

1) I was flying the Phantom 3 at low altitude and close to me (within less than 50m). After getting a low battery warning, I tried to land the Phantom. While I was landing it, at 20 to 30 cm from the ground, the automatic RTH fonction kicked in. The drone aborted my landing, took off, the automatic RTH function was unstoppable, and the drone shut off its engines at roughly 30 feet altitude. The drone crashed and the camera broke off. The drone was still able to fly afterwards for several test flights.  
The drone was sent back to DJI by the official local DJI reseller because it was obvious that there was a software bug that caused the crash. A good description of the problem was sent with it. It took 2,5 months for DJI California to analyse the drone. The drone was sent back from DJI saying that because the drone crashed, it was out of warranty ! How can somebody mix up a cause and a consequence ? Most drone dysfunctions result in a crash ! The bug description, date and time was disregarded because the drone was broken...
2) Upon close inspection of the drone returned from DJI, the official reseller noticed that the motherboard had been bricked by DJI while they attempted to retrieve the flight records !
I am now left with a totally useless and unrepairable drone. The reseller is awaiting news from DJI this week (or within another 2,5 months ?).

I don't understand why this product is not garanteed if the drone crashed because of a malfunction, and why it was further damaged and rendered unrepairable after an RMA inquiry.

I hope DJI gets their act together and find a solution to this problem.

2015-11-22
Use props
Gamerfanatic
lvl.1

United States

Sounds like you landed just as critical hit, pushing it into RTH mode. At this point, the craft ascends to the designated height (since you were low on battery) and you likely panicked this unanticipated event knowing that it would happen but in the moment of things it was unforeseen. Anyway, it seems like you likely panicked and did a CSC operation with the sticks.

As far as the RMA, what "official reseller"?
2015-11-22
Use props
Rebel
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-11-22
Use props
lbdrone
lvl.1

Canada

Gamerfanatic Posted at 2015-11-22 17:03
Sounds like you landed just as critical hit, pushing it into RTH mode. At this point, the craft asce ...

Oh no…
I knew somebody would give such a quick and unthoughtful response. Of course I did not panic, curl up the fetal position, or ran away crying from the crash scene.
Why would a forum member want to give his/her opinion on this post without having evaluated the drone or the flight records ?
If you solved this issue so easily without assessing any fact, why weren’t you also able to determine who the reseller was ?
This forum is for sharing with peers in an effort to constructively solve, or report issues.
My post was just to let other users know what type of issues they might face when they want to have their warranty fulfilled.
The reseller, by the way, is very reputable.
This thread is not a public trial on this incident. I will not release any other bit of information until this issue is resolved. However, I will keep users posted concerning further warranty decisions.
2015-11-22
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Hi, lbdrone, Sorry for your loss. 2.5 month RMA is too long compared to our current RMA turn around time. Would you pls advise:
1. the reseller name
2. When did you ship it to the reseller?
3. RMA number
We will look into this matter and come back to you shortly. Thank you.
2015-11-23
Use props
ajad1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1418041 ft
United Kingdom

I had exactly the same problem with a phantom 3 pro in August. It tried to return to home and would not cancel, climbed then shut down power. I fitted a new camera. No problems until today when after 8 mins of flight, 130m from the controller, no warning just no signal and the aircraft is now missing. I thought it went down but when I went to the point on the flight record no sign of the aircraft. I spent 6 hours searching for it but no sign. I assume that it did not fly away as I did not hear it.  
2015-11-23
Use props
ajad1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1418041 ft
United Kingdom

I had exactly the same problem with a phantom 3 pro in August. It tried to return to home and would not cancel, climbed then shut down power. I fitted a new camera. No problems until today when after 8 mins of flight, 130m from the controller, no warning just no signal and the aircraft is now missing. I thought it went down but when I went to the point on the flight record no sign of the aircraft. I spent 6 hours searching for it but no sign. I assume that it did not fly away as I did not hear it.  
2015-11-23
Use props
lbdrone
lvl.1

Canada

DJI-Tim Posted at 2015-11-23 03:52
Hi, lbdrone, Sorry for your loss. 2.5 month RMA is too long compared to our current RMA turn around  ...

Thank you for your quick response. How can I send you this confidential information (without doing a public post on this forum) ?
2015-11-23
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

send your info here, i'll copy and delete the message straight away
2015-11-23
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

got it!  Now let me see what can we do with it...
2015-11-23
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

lbdrone, Every RMA of DJI has it's own unique tracking number, so without it we are unable to locate your case! You have to get your RMA number issued by DJI from your dealer, so I can help you out!
2015-11-23
Use props
lbdrone
lvl.1

Canada

DJI-Tim Posted at 2015-11-23 22:27
lbdrone, Every RMA of DJI has it's own unique tracking number, so without it we are unable to locate ...

I'll should get my hands on the RMA within the next 48 hrs
2015-11-24
Use props
lbdrone
lvl.1

Canada

lbdrone, Every RMA of DJI has it's own unique tracking number, so without it we are unable to locate ...

Got the RMA. Let me know when I can post it. Please delete post afterwards. Thank you.
2015-11-26
Use props
lbdrone
lvl.1

Canada

Hi again DJI-Tim,
Are you still interested looking up the problem with the RMA number?
2015-11-28
Use props
Rebel
Banned

United States

2015-11-28
Use props
lbdrone
lvl.1

Canada

Rebel Posted at 2015-11-28 22:22
Im curious. Did you happen to have an app crash during this flight?

No app crash.
2015-11-28
Use props
Rebel
Banned

United States

2015-11-29
Use props
lbdrone
lvl.1

Canada

Looks like there is no follow-up on this issue
2015-11-30
Use props
tjalex
Captain
Flight distance : 422375 ft
  • >>>
Chile

Hi IB..so sorry for ur crash... but whatever happened dji must take responsible if its true that..

2) Upon close inspection of the drone returned from DJI, the official reseller noticed that the motherboard had been bricked by DJI while they attempted to retrieve the flight records !

They simply cannot push it to us. its always possible for bugs and firmware or even software failures but they should replace whatever they damaged since they also having rules about waranty so on..sorry but hope ur friends at the shop will help u..
2016-1-24
Use props
tjalex
Captain
Flight distance : 422375 ft
  • >>>
Chile

DJI-Tim Posted at 2015-11-23 05:52
Hi, lbdrone, Sorry for your loss. 2.5 month RMA is too long compared to our current RMA turn around  ...

Hi DJI... Wooooow i m very pleased for ur quick respond and caring.. Thanks and i think we all need you always since we are just another ordinary people who got excited with drones and enjoying it but it also must be sooooo reliable now and forever so we can fly safely without knocking someone. and another thing is..its expensive sport too..cant afford to lose and get another one..hmmmmm
2016-1-24
Use props
Hawks100
Second Officer
Flight distance : 134580 ft
United Kingdom

Why did your reseller (Top Secret) open it up to determine that the motherboard was Bricked??
Do you only have your resellers word that it was like that upon return from DJI??
Your Official reseller might have damaged it whilst he was being hidden in a coal bunker so no one would know who he was.....
Does this thread have to be so cloak an dagger...
2016-1-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules