Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
FatShark Dominator V3 and P3 Standard
7316 25 2015-11-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kneepuck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

In my ongoing quest for good FPV on the P3S,  I have bitten the bullet and purchased a set of Dominator v3's.  They just arrived in the mail and I opened them up. First impression:  Nice package, comes with goggles,  2 different foam pre-formed strips to go between your face and the goggles, a mini HDMI cable,  battery pack,  AVI cable with video and l/r stereo rca connectors on one end, A/V mini headphone type connector on the other,  a charging cable with positive and negative colored banana plugs,  HDMI to HDMI mini adaptor,   HDMI mini to HDMI Micro adaptor, special cleaning cloth and FatShark decal set.   No charger is included,  also no documentation of any kind.  The goggles themselves have a mini HDMI input,  an input jack with a headphone symbol with a micro-switch next to it that has an unreadable imprint in the plastic.  There are 2 adjustors for the spacing of the optics to adjust to eye spacing. There is also an S-video type connector labeled Data.  That stuff is on the bottom section of the goggles.  On the top are buttons labeled Display Control, Channel up and down,  Volume up and down,  1 button labeled Analog Record and a button imprinted with the letters HT.  There is also a small cooling fan.  The goggles have a nice quality adjustable elastic headband.  As soon as I charge up the battery,  ( fortunately I have lots of R/C stuff so also have lots of R/C chargers,  as a charger is not included) I will hook everything up and see how the picture looks.  Stay tuned for further updates.
2015-11-25
Use props
BASS 666
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I have them as well and they are a good job ....
2015-11-25
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
United States

BASS 666 Posted at 2015-11-25 13:31
I have them as well and they are a good job ....

What version Phantom are you using them on?
2015-11-25
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
United States

This system works. The Dominator V3 has a nice display,  switchable between HDMI and A/V inputs and both inputs can be either 2D or 3D input.  I was a little surprised at the screen size.  A 30 degree field of view sounds ok until you realize that it is 30 degrees from top left corner to bottom right corner.  In effect,  you are looking at a 40 inch screen from a distance of 7 feet.  Not too bad really. Maybe I am spoiled. I use a 48 inch diag. monitor on my computer and I am about 4 feet from it.  In any case, it is certainly usable.  Somehow I had visualized an enormous virtual screen, like sitting 2 feet from an 80 inch display.  Oh well,  noob mistake.

The main issue is,  because the P3 Standard does not have any option for the HDMI module like its bigger brothers,  you have to use a bit of extra hardware. I forgot to mention,  the Fatshark Dominator V3 HDMI input requires a maximum resolution of 720p.  My Samsung Galaxy S5 has higher resolution than that,  and no way to change it.  So,  you have to still get the usb to HDMI adaptor for the S5 Galaxy as well as an HDMI to Composite adaptor to go between that and the FatShark,  using the supplied A/V cable from the composite output RCA connectors to the A/V input on the Fatshark.  That connector is located next to the power connector on the Fatshark.  I had hoped to reduce or eliminate most of the extra hardware,  but no such luck.  

In summary,  to get an FPV goggle view from a P3S, you have to have, in my case,  an S5 Galaxy( or I suppose any device or tablet that supports HDMI output),  a USB to HDMI adaptor,  an HDMI to Composite adaptor, the necessary cables, which includes usb cables to power both adaptors in addition to the signal cables.  If your device can output 720p HD, you can eliminate the HDMI to Composite adaptor.  No matter what, you will have an electronic spaghetti mess to deal with.

My next try will be to install the 2.4 ghz receiver in the FatShark and try to receive the video stream directly from the controller via wireless. I feel like this will not work because, if for no other reason, no way to enter the wifi password to the FatShark display.

If anyone has had any luck with another setup, please let me know.  I have not yet tried the Google cardboard setup. I will be very sad if that turns out to be the best option for the P3 Standard.  I will also be a good deal poorer.  Ah well. Easy come,  easy go.
2015-11-25
Use props
BASS 666
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Kneepuck Posted at 2015-11-26 03:12
What version Phantom are you using them on?

p3a .... so none of the bother your having regarding all sorts of leads ....
2015-11-26
Use props
nrgwise
lvl.4

United States

I have a P3P and the Dominator HD Fat Sharks.  I think the system works great for what they are.  However, I don't fly with them.  I use an Nvidia Shield tablet, use the HDMI out from that and let whoever is with me wear the goggles as I fly (generally my grandkids).  They love it, it gives them a sense of participation in the activity instead of just watching me fly (boring!)  It is a direct connection with no adaptors using the cable supplied with the glasses.  
2015-11-26
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
United States

Had I known in advance,( My fault I suppose, should have somehow been able to predict the future and my future desires for things not available on the craft I chose)  I would have purchased the advanced or pro.  I may do so yet.  However, I always like to  wring the maximum amount of performance out of a thing and make it do things it is not supposed to do.  It can be a lot of fun,  even if it is a bit of a mess.  And since I have a skill set that not everyone has,  it seems it might be helpful to others in the same situation.  The Standard is a very nice bit of kit.  But it is expensive enough that you can not just toss it aside and get a different one if it turns out not to suit your wants.  So I will keep looking for the best and most cost effective solution to the limitations inherent in it.  Even as I am comparing the differences between the Advanced, Pro and Inspire. I am not a professional photographer,  not even close. For me, this is an enjoyable hobby. A professional who wants something that just works, nice and simple,  would do well to consider an Advanced or Pro or similar model.
2015-11-26
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
United States

bryansroofing@g Posted at 2015-12-12 10:31
I just got the dominator v3s. I bought the HDMI module with USB outputs for the dji remote for my p3 ...

You must have an advanced or pro P3.  That will probably work fine.  If you have a standard and were able to get those parts and they work I would sure like to hear about it.  As it turns out for me, I found the google cardboard setup to potentially be the best vr experience.  Bigger screen,  built in head tracking,  better resolution.  The only problem,  it does not work with the Dji-Go app.  I understand it works with the Litchi app,  but the Litchi app will not work with the standard.
2015-12-12
Use props
Cetaman
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2015-11-25 17:37
This system works. The Dominator V3 has a nice display,  switchable between HDMI and A/V inputs and  ...

Aloha Kneepuck,

Does the R/C charger lead have anything unusual about it?  My FatShark googles are on back order and also do not come with a charger.

Aloha and Drone On!
2015-12-13
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
United States

Cetaman Posted at 2015-12-13 03:44
Aloha Kneepuck,

Does the R/C charger lead have anything unusual about it?  My FatShark googl ...

Well, the battery on my goggles I charge with an r/c charger called Accu-Cycle pro series.  It uses banana plug to plug into charger and for the battery a 3 or 4 pin ( cant remember right now) white rectangular connector.  This charger works well for the battery, though I imagine others will as well. It is a charger, conditioner and analyzer I use on my helicopter and airplanes.
2015-12-13
Use props
nrgwise
lvl.4

United States

Cetaman Posted at 2015-12-13 06:44
Aloha Kneepuck,

Does the R/C charger lead have anything unusual about it?  My FatShark googl ...

The charger for the Fat Shark batteries is like 16 dollars.

Here is one link
2015-12-25
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
United States

Ok I have spent quite a bit of time and effort,  not to mention money,  to find out the following.  There is no really practical way to use fpv goggles on the Standard.  That is not to say it is not possible.  Just that you probably not want to do it.  You need a LOT of extra hardware,  including even a laptop computer or powered usb hub to power that extra hardware.  The receiver that is an option for the Fatshark goggles will not work, as I had suspected.  The only way to do this conventionally is to purchase the camera that mates to the receiver and mount it,  plus its antenna and battery,  onto the Phantom 3 Standard.   That way you will have a wireless fpv goggle setup, but in trade you will lose flight time,  and it would probably be a pain to find a place and a way to mount everything.

Really,  if FPV by way of goggles is important to you,  get an Advanced or Pro model.
2015-12-25
Use props
nrgwise
lvl.4

United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2015-12-25 20:46
Ok I have spent quite a bit of time and effort,  not to mention money,  to find out the following.   ...

For 200.00 US you can get an Nvidia Shield and use the HD output from that.  Not difficult, just 200.00 and the willingness to fly with an Android device.  No extra stuff needed.  
2015-12-25
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
United States

nrgwise Posted at 2015-12-25 17:55
For 200.00 US you can get an Nvidia Shield and use the HD output from that.  Not difficult, just 2 ...

Are you able to adjust the resolution of the hdmi output on the shield?  Cause the fatsharks are pretty picky.  Have you used this with a Standard and the Dominator V3 goggles?  If so,  that's great news.  After what I have invested so far,  another 200 bucks is a drop in the bucket.   
Anyone interested in a bunch of non necessary hardware,  give me a yell.
2015-12-25
Use props
nrgwise
lvl.4

United States

The resolution of the Fat Shark Dominator HD goggles is 720p - non adjustable.  The output of the Nvidia Shield is 720p.  I have used them with a P3P and a P2V+v3.
2015-12-26
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
United States

nrgwise Posted at 2015-12-26 05:17
The resolution of the Fat Shark Dominator HD goggles is 720p - non adjustable.  The output of the Nv ...

Cool.  Do you notice if there is a bad latency in the video signal?  50 or 100 milliseconds would be okay.  Where were you when I bought all that stuff?  Just kidding,  thanks for the heads up.  I'm going to best buy and get a shield today.
2015-12-26
Use props
nrgwise
lvl.4

United States

No latency at all as far as I can tell.  I have worn them on GS flights that I have previously run so I know they are safe.  Every time I flipped them up to see what was on the screen of the tablet they were identical.  The only latency would be from the RC to the Tablet and I have never seen any with the P3P.  I am not sure why everyone wants to fly the Phantom FPV with goggles.  In the various ways I have done it, none have been what I considered safe for this unit.  The depth of field is not true so collisions are more likely.  Objects ARE NOT at the distance they appear.  The Phantom is not designed for true FPV flight.  If you want that, buy a much cheaper quad dedicated to FPV flight or a racer.  I have placed the quad in a steady hover at a measured distance from a stationary object.  Then looked in the goggles at how far the object appeared.  Then flown the quad towards the object with the goggles on and stopped at what I thought was a safe distance.  I have done this numerous times.  This is why the people who come to fly with me wear the goggles and I fly the quad.  Every time I have done this, the quad has been at least half the distance CLOSER to the object than I perceived through the goggles.  

Just my thoughts.  I do not and will not wear the goggles to fly the Phantom (any version) unless it is on a GS flight that has been previously flown and proven to be safe with no intervention by me on the sticks.  I will and do use the goggles to fly a racer which I never fly LOS.  That is how different it is.
2015-12-26
Use props
tcmitch1
lvl.2
United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2015-12-26 10:12
Cool.  Do you notice if there is a bad latency in the video signal?  50 or 100 milliseconds would  ...

Well????  did the setup work with the Shield???
2016-1-10
Use props
tcmitch1
lvl.2
United States

nrgwise Posted at 2015-12-26 19:04
No latency at all as far as I can tell.  I have worn them on GS flights that I have previously run s ...

nrgwise, thanks for your input on this topic.  I was really hoping to use FPV goggles with the P3S
2016-1-10
Use props
dsg6806
lvl.1

United States

Kneepuck - can you provide an update on how things worked out for you?

I just purchased the NVIDIA Shield K1 tablet and have been looking at the Dominator glasses to pair with my P3S....when I looked on FatShark's website, the way they described the glasses it sounded like when they were hooked up using the HDMI cable, you could NOT use them for FPV flying, only viewing video....and that only when they were connected wirelessly could you use them during flight.....can anyone verify?

Thanks!
2016-2-22
Use props
Rain1dog
lvl.3

United States

So with my Phantom 3 Advanced... I get get the Dominator V3 and have lightbridge run directly into the goggles????
2016-2-22
Use props
Rain1dog
lvl.3

United States

I have heard the Headplay goggles work great to...
2016-2-22
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
United States

Rain1dog Posted at 2016-2-22 12:59
I have heard the Headplay goggles work great to...

I have no experience with the Headplay.  The Nvidia Shield does work fine.  But,  to me,  the Google goggl3es work best and are cheapest.  They provide a 70 degree field of view and you can control the camera gimbal with them.
2016-2-22
Use props
mag200181
lvl.1

United States

I use a cheap walmart nextbook ares 8 android tablet with hdmi out and p3s and fatshark dominator v3 goggles and easy setup and works great 1 cable no mess
2016-4-17
Use props
Image Ten
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1192697 ft
United States

Using Phantom 3 Standard, would an iPad Air 2 with HDMI Output cable work with the Fat Shark Dominator v3?  Thank you in advance for any input you can provide.
2016-8-19
Use props
darrenphillips1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 501913 ft
Australia

P3s with Drone VR app and $20 goggles works just fine
2016-8-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules