Crash Warranty
6598 30 2015-11-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rdangeau
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1403425 ft
United States

Will DJI repair your Phantom 3 Pro under warranty if pilot is not at fault? For example it just loses all power and falls out of the sky at 200 feet up.  Good gps signal and only 700 feet away from controller.  In a wide open wheat field with zero interference.  Complete power loss on go app and look up at bird.......free fall
2015-11-28
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

You won't get a general answer to this. DJI evaluate each case base on the flight logs.
2015-11-29
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

^^^ What he said.. Case by case.. if it's clearly not an user fault then you *should be OK..
2015-11-29
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Call DJI to get an RMA and send in your Phantom so they can check it out. Worst case, you'll have to pay for everything. If they find it's not your fault though, they will most likely cover some or all of the cost to repair it.

You can find DJI's contact information here:
http://www.dji.com/support?www=v1
2015-11-29
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

As others have noted, there is no stock answer here.

A complete power loss can be related to dirty battery contacts, a failed or older battery, failure to push the battery all the way in - and/or some component of the Phantom failing.

As more and more Phantoms are in the field - and are used for more and more hours - various scenarios will occur. As an example, Phantoms are not made for heavy (commercial or semi-commercial use). We had one pilot who liked to fly his many miles every day. I predicted his would fail and it did. He did it again and the 2nd one failed too! The point there is that these are consumer grade flying cameras for taking photos and videos and are designed to last a certain number of hours of flight without problems. But pushing them too hard can and will cause premature failure.

Note - I'm not suggesting the OP did any of this - just noting that these are not like cell phones or ipads.....aircraft have a lot of mechanical parts as well as electronic ones and they (in theory) would need a lot of maintaining to keep up in the air with a heavier duty cycle.

2015-11-29
Use props
Phantomen3
lvl.2

Sweden

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-11-29 17:07
As others have noted, there is no stock answer here.

A complete power loss can be related to dirty  ...

i like my phantom 3 for photo and video of a newbie/funny stage what type of brand should i buy if i also want a drone for flying fast and be "playing" with? any brand you would recommend cheeper then Dji's standard of phantom 3?  I was thinking in buying phantom 2 for playing but then i was thinking hmm, those batteries will only last 10-12 minute in the air not like phantom 3 around 20minute in the air less fun butt still more fun to be playing around with.
2015-11-29
Use props
rdangeau
lvl.2
United States

Thanks guys for the input.  I contacted DJI and bird is in route to LA repair center.  It really puzzles me about the crash.  It was a textbook flight for the 35 seconds it was  
2015-11-29
Use props
rdangeau
lvl.2
United States

Airborne.  Have had flights that were long distance that I was apprehensive about before but this one here was so routine at only 700 feet out.  
2015-11-29
Use props
rdangeau
lvl.2
United States

Bump bump bump
2015-11-29
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

Hi ,
Sorry for that incident ! You can check our warranty policy here :http://www.dji.com/service/warranty-service?www=v1
Please send your drone to our repair center and you can request a data analysis !
2015-11-29
Use props
rdangeau
lvl.2
United States

Update. Just checked on my ticket and it says free of charge repair in progress
2015-12-8
Use props
rdangeau
lvl.2
United States

It appears to me that DJI has great customer service
2015-12-8
Use props
rdangeau
lvl.2
United States

It's now n the way back to me
2015-12-8
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

rdangeau Posted at 2015-12-9 11:27
It's now n the way back to me

Glad to hear that ! Please enjoy your flight !
2015-12-8
Use props
rdangeau
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2015-12-8 21:37
Glad to hear that ! Please enjoy your flight !

Will there be any kind of explanation about why my drone crashed?
2015-12-8
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

rdangeau Posted at 2015-12-9 11:52
Will there be any kind of explanation about why my drone crashed?

You can ask for an explaination about that .  Please contact repair center for that . Thank you !
2015-12-9
Use props
rdangeau
lvl.2
United States

Forgot to update post.  Received my bird back from repair center in less than 5 working days from the day I shipped off. Repaired and works just as new.  No questions asked. Just repaired.  All I can say for DJI is positive
2015-12-18
Use props
tpetersen97
lvl.2
United States

Complete power loss?...  You took off with a partially charged battery?  As in anything other than 100%.  There is a growing number of people that this is happening to and the common denominator is taking off without a full charge.  
2015-12-18
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

rdangeau Posted at 2015-12-19 10:05
Forgot to update post.  Received my bird back from repair center in less than 5 working days from th ...

Thank you for your support !
2015-12-20
Use props
rdangeau
lvl.2
United States

tpetersen97 Posted at 2015-12-18 21:54
Complete power loss?...  You took off with a partially charged battery?  As in anything other than 1 ...

Complete power loss with 100%  battery at takeoff
2015-12-20
Use props
mike.wildlight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5623 ft
Australia

rdangeau Posted at 2015-12-19 12:05
Forgot to update post.  Received my bird back from repair center in less than 5 working days from th ...

Great result!
It's nice to see positive feedback, I always try and give equal footing I say it when it's bad and I say it when it's good.
IIRC from my retail days people generally tell about 11 others about a bad experience, but only tell about 3 of a good experience.
2015-12-20
Use props
rdangeau
lvl.2
United States

mike.wildlight Posted at 2015-12-21 15:14
Great result!
It's nice to see positive feedback, I always try and give equal footing I say it whe ...

Repaired with no questions asked.  New motors, new camera, new battery and shell.  Hard to believe I didn't have to "speak to a supervisor".  So yeah it was a great experience.
2015-12-21
Use props
blueye7
New

United States

Same here. Everything was working just fine. Had calibrated and was buzzing around the parking lot for about 10 minutes with stops to rest/cool. On my 4th flight I was up around 200 feet when suddenly it decided to AT TOP SPEED go directly down until SLAMMING into the pavement. There was absolutely nothing I could do. As it was screaming down I was moving the sticks up and to the sides with no response. So... legs are buckled in. The camera housing took the biggest hit cracking the circuit board and plastics. So it needs new parts for sure.   I have video.  So upset!
2016-2-5
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

rdangeau Posted at 2015-12-22 06:14
Repaired with no questions asked.  New motors, new camera, new battery and shell.  Hard to believe ...

It would be nice if you went back and edited the title of this thread in your first post and acknowledged that it was repaired to your satisfaction.
2016-2-5
Use props
billnj71
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1357556 ft
United States

I had a mech failure dji fixed & replaced it at no cost, but didnt what or why it happened.  Im using my for commercial video production but the warrenty is 6 months - mine failed on the 155th flight on a full battery - its hard to rely on this device because of that - at 1500 a clip , these are far from "disposable"
2016-2-6
Use props
Hughhartloper
New

Canada

I was flying my phantom 2 vision yesterday and everything was fine, then I changed the battery too my second battery and took off then there was an alert that stayed something like "battery communication error" so I Landed the drone and went home. Then the next day I flew my drone and everything was fine, I changed the battery too the second one and took off I went to about 250 ft and the drone was very unstable "wobbly" I thought it was just the wind, but then I started descending to land and, I got to about 80 ft and then I got that alert again which I think said "battery communication error" and then I saw the drone falling from the sky wobbling all over the place, I tried pulling up but nothing was working, then crash and snap, it hit the ground. I inspected the drone and I noticed the landing gear had snapped, I'm lucky there wasn't more damage.
2017-7-6
Use props
Siambuddhas Gro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116926 ft
Singapore

Mine wasnt that lucky too... 40 feet plus..less den 50seconds on air..starting to upturn dives down the ground! Every Pilots were also scratching their heads why!! New charged battery 2nd cycle... 5th flights ... 2 out door 3 indoor.........

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/IBJCF4RXDND2DUCOZJ0G/#
Do read 40seconds onwards...till it changes to ATTI mode (UPTURN TOP  facing down)
2017-7-21
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

Siambuddhas Gro Posted at 2017-7-21 19:45
Mine wasnt that lucky too... 40 feet plus..less den 50seconds on air..starting to upturn dives down the ground! Every Pilots were also scratching their heads why!! New charged battery 2nd cycle... 5th flights ... 2 out door 3 indoor.........

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/IBJCF4RXDND2DUCOZJ0G/#

This flight does look strange in that there is nothing indicating a fault.  After you took off your stick inputs forward and up were no more than a third to half deflection. That corresponds to the rise and forward moves as indicated on the flight track, as well as the ~10° negative pitch.  At the apex the aircraft tumbles and falls to the ground.    During the tumble you came very close to performing a CSC with both sticks down and out, but it wouldn't have added to your troubles.  It is likely due to the location that it was hit by a strong gust of wind coming in from the water (very common at beaches) causing it to tumble, or perhaps was involved in a birdstrike.  The freefall shows the track being pushed back inland, which supports the case of the wind blowing it backwards -- normally an out of control fall would be more vertical.

I would suggest extracting the DAT file from inside the aircraft and sharing a link to it back here, so we can rule out motor failure/prop loss.  The file is a lot bigger than the flight log you have already shared, but it shouldn't be very big due to the short flight.  You will need to share it on a file sharing site like Dropbox or similar.  You can extract it by connecting the aircraft to a computer via the front USB port next to the name plate, and putting the aircraft into flight data mode from the Go app.
beach.png
2017-7-22
Use props
Siambuddhas Gro
lvl.4
Singapore

endotherm Posted at 2017-7-22 10:13
This flight does look strange in that there is nothing indicating a fault.  After you took off your stick inputs forward and up were no more than a third to half deflection. That corresponds to the rise and forward moves as indicated on the flight track, as well as the ~10° negative pitch.  At the apex the aircraft tumbles and falls to the ground.    During the tumble you came very close to performing a CSC with both sticks down and out, but it wouldn't have added to your troubles.  It is likely due to the location that it was hit by a strong gust of wind coming in from the water (very common at beaches) causing it to tumble, or perhaps was involved in a birdstrike.  The freefall shows the track being pushed back inland, which supports the case of the wind blowing it backwards -- normally an out of control fall would be more vertical.

I would suggest extracting the DAT file from inside the aircraft and sharing a link to it back here, so we can rule out motor failure/prop loss.  The file is a lot bigger than the flight log you have already shared, but it shouldn't be very big due to the short flight.  You will need to share it on a file sharing site like Dropbox or similar.  You can extract it by connecting the aircraft to a computer via the front USB port next to the name plate, and putting the aircraft into flight data mode from the Go app.

Thanks , there were a few flying at the same area ..wind speed more like breeze..didnt feel wind.btw its way back to shengzheng HQ..
2017-7-22
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

Siambuddhas Gro Posted at 2017-7-22 18:40
Thanks , there were a few flying at the same area ..wind speed more like breeze..didnt feel wind.btw its way back to shengzheng HQ..

The funny thing with wind is that you may feel that it is reasonably calm at the surface, but it could be blowing hard a few meters above you.  This also does not account for sudden powerful gusts that could occur at the same time.  Unfortunately air is pretty much invisible so it is hard to see what is happening.
2017-7-23
Use props
Siambuddhas Gro
lvl.4
Singapore

endotherm Posted at 2017-7-23 03:33
The funny thing with wind is that you may feel that it is reasonably calm at the surface, but it could be blowing hard a few meters above you.  This also does not account for sudden powerful gusts that could occur at the same time.  Unfortunately air is pretty much invisible so it is hard to see what is happening.

Thanks for the response ... truly to say its sad n heart broken to see the bird crashes down...sour and cold feelings... later on will be the pain on the wallet/bank account...
2017-7-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules