Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
restart from freefall in flight?
3963 18 2015-12-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
elbee
lvl.2
Flight distance : 79101 ft
United States

hi -- i've had my P3P for 2 days and it is amazing (my first quad).  i spent many hours reading, watching tutorials, and using the flight sim before heading out yesterday -- in what was somewhat brisk wind conditions.    it worked perfectly!   admittedly, i had not read the part in the manual about using return to home within a 20m radius, the craft will drop down where it is so there was a brief panic as it dropped into the trees but remembering i could still control the craft during RTH, i raised it back up just in time to avoid disaster.  good lesson -- it made me go read some more to learn why did it do that?!! :-)

anyway, i was wondering about the cross stick position where the motors are shut off -- what if i do that in mid flight? (as indicated the most frequent cause of failures).   i was messing around in the simulator and shut down the motors while 100ft in the air.  then i restarted them and regained control of the aircraft.  i was curious if that would actually work in real life.  if it goes into free fall and you restart the motors will it regain stability.  when it drops in free fall, will it invert and go "head first"?  is revovery possible from that?

thanks

2015-12-5
Use props
Rigworker
lvl.4
Flight distance : 52303 ft
Canada

Do you have one  good reason why you would even want to try?

Plenty about it in these forums. A youtube vid or two as well
2015-12-5
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

It would depend on altitude airspeed direction of travel and your reaction times among other times.  There is a certain amount of sail area to slow the fall somewhat,  but you would have to be quick.  I have read that some guys do this for fun or if in a hurry to lose altitude. I think I will pass on trying,  at least on purpose.
2015-12-5
Use props
Michael M
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1984898 ft
Canada

There was a video of starting a p3 mid air. Did not work, imu could not stabilize it before it hit the ground. It just kept spinning even though it had plenty of time
2015-12-5
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

"i was wondering about the cross stick position where the motors are shut off -- what if i do that in mid flight? (as indicated the most frequent cause of failures).   i was messing around in the simulator and shut down the motors while 100ft in the air.  then i restarted them and regained control of the aircraft.  i was curious if that would actually work in real life.  if it goes into free fall and you restart the motors will it regain stability.  when it drops in free fall, will it invert and go "head first"?  is revovery possible from that?"
1.  You are referring to a mid-air CSC.
As the manual warns, CSC will stop the motors immediately.
It is not the most frequent cause of failure - actually it is quite rare although much discussed in forums.

The answer to your query about restarting is ... maybe .. and maybe not.
You'd definitely need a lot of height to recover - well over 400 ft and a lot of luck.
Get back to us with results if you decide to experiment further.
2015-12-5
Use props
elbee
lvl.2
Flight distance : 79101 ft
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2015-12-6 01:38
"i was wondering about the cross stick position where the motors are shut off -- what if i do that i ...

according to DJI-Tim's post in this thread mid-air CSC is #1.  i was looking to see if someone could recover from this in real life.  the simulator allows such a recovery -- but i know that is not fully representative of real life dynamics of flight.
2015-12-6
Use props
boxerman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 39695 ft
United States

Definitely not the most frequent cause of anything.  You would have to consciously perform a CSC - it would never be a normal flight pattern for a photographic platform (i.e. full speed descent, full speed right yaw while flying full speed pitched rear-left).   And, a failure is really not the same thing as a crash.  A failure would be a motor burning out, which would result in a crash.  Most crashes are caused by flying into something that is NOT air, like a tree.  Or the ground.   But there are videos on youtube showing a recovery from a power off.  
2015-12-6
Use props
jag01usn
lvl.3
United States

if your worried you may want to conceder this option. http://www.marsparachutes.com/ I just posted this in another reply. It's about using an onboard parachute.
2015-12-6
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

elbee Posted at 2015-12-6 19:10
according to DJI-Tim's post in this thread mid-air CSC is #1.  i was looking to see if someone cou ...

#1 on the list ... but the list is in no particular order.
Accidental CSC incidents are very rarely reported on the forums.
I haven't seen one for several months.
If they were happening, you'd know all about it.
2015-12-6
Use props
DJI-Patrick
First Officer

Hong Kong

Hi ,
It's not recommended to do that . The aircraft would find it really hard to regain it's stability before hitting the ground .
2015-12-6
Use props
blueye7
New

United States

So could that be what caused mine to crash?  If I had done the cross stick thing while in flight?  I was trying out some new maneuvers at about 225 feet when it happened. DESTROYED.  Why in gods name would they have an engine kill function built in to the control sticks?  That's just idiotic! How the F is this pilot error!!!!!
2016-2-5
Use props
afiend69
lvl.4
Flight distance : 626647 ft
Canada

blueye7 Posted at 2016-2-6 06:05
So could that be what caused mine to crash?  If I had done the cross stick thing while in flight?  I ...

that's why your drone and controller/device keeps flight logs, so you can see what happened during a good or bad flight.
2016-2-5
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

blueye7 Posted at 2016-2-6 09:05
So could that be what caused mine to crash?  If I had done the cross stick thing while in flight?  I ...

No it is not idiotic. It is there as a safety measure to stop the props in an emergency. the CSC is not a manoeuvre you would do in sensible controlled flight. If you ,manage to do it while flying and did not intend to do, then it is you who are the idiot.
2016-2-5
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

blueye7 Posted at 2016-2-6 09:05

" How the F is this pilot error!!!!!"
Mostly because it's there in the manual for every owner to read.
Do not perform a CSC while the aircraft is in mid-air,  otherwise the motors will suddenly stop.

2016-2-5
Use props
Supervisor
lvl.2
Flight distance : 197602 ft
United States

The CSC is disabled by default.
2017-3-15
Use props
Phantom-Paul 7
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2551634 ft
Australia

It's a necessary evil. We have to have some way to kill the motors in an Emergancy. The chances of pushing the sticks into those positions during normal flight should be zero. The Phantom is not some wild acrobatic quad its a flying  camera so bending the sticks in all directions just doesn't normally happen. I would much rather the CSC than some silly switch like others have. To me a switch is more likey to be accidentally triggered than the CSC is.
2017-3-15
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If you are using the latest firmware then DJI have introduced a three second delay before motors shut down. Go to the downloads page for P3P and have a look at the latest release notes.
2017-3-16
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

Aardvark Posted at 2017-3-16 09:51
If you are using the latest firmware then DJI have introduced a three second delay before motors shut down. Go to the downloads page for P3P and have a look at the latest release notes.

I would not even try it with the 4000ft drop to my valley floor. It might work fine in a simulator but unless someone wants to fund my drone replacement I'm not about to try it in real life.

4000 ft

4000 ft
2017-3-16
Use props
#shotxclvck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3423297 ft
United States

theres a link on youtube of guys who actually did this.........the copter did not survive.....once the free fall started the quad could not correct itself
2017-3-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules