Osmo & Snowboarding
8238 22 2015-12-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CiRec
lvl.3
Flight distance : 200791 ft
Germany

Here is our first Osmo Clip while following our most loved sparetime passion: snowboarding ;)

Testing DJI Osmo for Fun - Part II. These are the very first clips we have filmed in the snow. All video footage has been taken with the Osmo: http://click.dji.com/JfbCyuXH1Lvve5MZ

This was our second trip to the glacier this year, so our performance was not top notch. The battery of the Osmo lasted for two descents, so each of us only had on try. And of course: we are no snowboard pros - just riding for fun ;)

In contrast, the performance of the Osmo was extraordinary. Framing was so much easier than i would ever have expected, and the stabilization is - crazy. My snowboard partner had it in his hands for the very first time - and absolutely no problem to use it!

Filmed @1080 / 50p and slowed down regularly to 25p.

WARNING: The Osmo is not built for very low temperatures, nor is it waterproof. Means: Don’t do that at home ;) Or, in other words: You might lose your warranty, and it is very likely that it will break someday!

2015-12-12
Use props
wordsaremything
lvl.3

United States

Awesome footage!
2015-12-12
Use props
setiawan3d
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7861 ft
Indonesia

Nice shots!
2015-12-13
Use props
rtartaglia
New

United Kingdom

Looks sweet can't wait to get mine.
2015-12-13
Use props
raywongmusic
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3747 ft
Hong Kong

Very Nice!
Did you experience any battery problem in the cold?  I thought they wouldn’t even start up below 0c
Was it difficult to operate with ski glove?
Did the fan still turn on in cold condition?
I’m so excited to do some skiing videos!

2015-12-13
Use props
informatie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2953 ft
Netherlands

Either you got your Osmo 3 year ahead of the rest of us  or you made a little mistake in the date of the end title ;-)
Great footage,
Going to the snow next week.
Looking forward to trying the Osmo with  my ski pole attachement  which should give even more possibilities for interesting camera angles
2015-12-13
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

Fantastic footage and expert skiers. Thanks for sharing!!
2015-12-13
Use props
CiRec
lvl.3
Germany

raywongmusic Posted at 2015-12-13 10:20
Very Nice!
Did you experience any battery problem in the cold?  I thought they wouldn’t even start  ...

thx, glad you like it!

no, i did not experience any problems with the battery.

operation was very easy, even with gloves, because: we didnt need to operate the joystick (in most cases. apart from filming under very steep terrain conditions). but: we are somehow experienced in filming while snowboarding with "conventional" cameras. as said in the comments, framing was so much easier than i had expected...
on the other hand, we are wearing special "slim" smartphone gloves while filming, especially to be able to operate the touch display...

sry, i didnt watch the fan ;)

have fun in the snow!
2015-12-14
Use props
CiRec
lvl.3
Germany

informatie@publ Posted at 2015-12-13 20:19
Either you got your Osmo 3 year ahead of the rest of us  or you made a little mistake in the date of ...

oooops ;) got me! seems i was tired. but: im so excited you watched the clip until the very end!

have fun in the snow and let us watch your results, im looking forward to see them!
2015-12-14
Use props
CiRec
lvl.3
Germany

DJI-Amy Posted at 2015-12-14 05:26
Fantastic footage and expert skiers. Thanks for sharing!!

thx, glad you like it! and thx for providing us with expert equipment! we are no expert boarders, but we are expert filmmakers....

if you @DJI are ever in a situation to get something like that, just tell me ;) we definitely can do it BETTER! not at least because of we are going to have a LIVE display with the osmo ;)

2015-12-14
Use props
chubauk
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Good work.....Wicked shots!
2015-12-14
Use props
Morrisson
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20710033 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is cool, man!

Great shooting and  a wonderful "test" for the rest of us to enjoy...

You said the battery lasted for two descents. How long was that in total?

Best,
Gavin
2015-12-16
Use props
Jono
lvl.1

United States

Hey,

So your saying that the Osmo's battery only lasted 2 runs down the mountain? How cold was it? I'm planning on shooting professional snowboarders out here in California this winter with the Osmos as an alternative to my big camera and gimbal. Though California winters are not that extreme, do you think it is going to affect the battery life in 20 degrees Fahrenheit??

Thanks!
Jonathon

Instagram: @jjonojj
2015-12-16
Use props
CiRec
lvl.3
Germany

Morrisson Posted at 2015-12-16 18:45
This is cool, man!

Great shooting and  a wonderful "test" for the rest of us to enjoy...

thx, glad you enjoyed it ;)

please see my next post for the answer about the battery...
2015-12-17
Use props
CiRec
lvl.3
Germany

Jono Posted at 2015-12-17 04:28
Hey,

So your saying that the Osmo's battery only lasted 2 runs down the mountain? How cold was it? ...

we had about -5°C, this must be 23°F

the battery lasted as long as it would have done in normal temperatures.

one descent was about 20 minutes. but: we reviewed the first descent one time - we couldnt resist ;)
this must have consumed the same amount of battery life as the descent did.

so, in total, we had about one hour of battery life, which is exactly what i got while filming under "normal" conditions!

batteries are not that expensive for the osmo, so i think i will buy about 4. and maybe one or two more osmos, hopefully soon with an X5R on top (just dreaming, we are on a tight budget, just as most independent filmmakers probably are...)

also dont forget: your smartphone too will consume a lot of power. therefore i use some 10.000mAh power tanks to recharge my iPhone.

unfortunately, there is no "built in" way to connect external power sources. i would love to connect one of my v-mount batteries to the whole setup. well, i saw a video on youtube of someone who has built his own adapter... but i do not like fiddeling around with this kind of stuff. a simple built in usb power connector would benefit my needs perfectly ;)

maybe the osmo cannot replace our big cameras... but its flexibility definitely will allow us to do some crazy shots, that never would have been possible before. im looking forward to it!

hopefully you will get some more snow than we do currently in germany, i wish you the best! maybe we will have to move to california if german winters will continue this way ;(
2015-12-17
Use props
Morrisson
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20710033 ft
  • >>>
United States

CiRec Posted at 2015-12-17 13:10
we had about -5°C, this must be 23°F

the battery lasted as long as it would have done in normal  ...

That's awesome and very good to hear. Yes, the thing about DJI products is that they don't seem to be made for a professional level set (i.e., they don't have professional features such as external power). I do LOVE their products and would swear by their drones, I'm aware that there are features that could be better! Does that stop me from purchasing? Of course not. Like you, I see the value in what they do and totally love that they exist and are working at getting awesome products in to our hands at such a cheap price!
2015-12-18
Use props
teamnest1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18484 ft
  • >>>
United States

I miss snowboarding, I want to go this year. Nice footage
2015-12-18
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great job, thanks for sharing. The video quality of the Osmo is amazing.
2015-12-18
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

rtartaglia Posted at 2015-12-13 04:06
Looks sweet can't wait to get mine.

You will enjoy the Oslo. I am truly glad that I bought one.
2015-12-18
Use props
job.genders
lvl.2

Netherlands

The Art of Flight... but shorter, thanks for the share!!!
2015-12-19
Use props
CiRec
lvl.3
Germany

@all: thx for your very nice comments. have fun with your OSMOS and be sure to share your results!

@DJI: thx for making this post sticky at the forum homepage, this makes us very proud! keep on the good work!

merry christmas!
2015-12-23
Use props
twbigshap
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Great stuff! Love it!
2016-1-29
Use props
dopeytree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6716467 ft