Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
How to lock down the Osmo
12Next >
20534 49 2015-12-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
coryshubert
lvl.1

United States

I would like to know what a person needs to do when using the Osmo on a tripod to keep it from drifting or moving when shooting? I want to lock it down in ALL aspects, pan/tilt. I know when hand holding you hold the trigger, but how do you get the same control when the Osmo is attached to a tripod? Thanks...
2015-12-20
Use props
ecuriemedia
lvl.2

United Kingdom

You can lock the gimbal by using the app I think... Certainly looks that way after the DJI Go IOS update...
2015-12-20
Use props
sploodge
lvl.4
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You can set the gimbal to one of the custom C1 or C2 options then turn off SmoothTrack settings for Pan/Tilt.. Does the same as holding rthe trigger..

Screenshot_2015-12-20-21-37-26.png
2015-12-20
Use props
alvintoro
lvl.2
United States

Not sure if this is the same question, but has anyone been able to use the camera wit the gimbal physically locked on all axis ( like for storage )? I know that the FAQ on DJIs website says you can, but I can't get it to stop beeping when I either turn it on while locked or lock it down after turning it on. It would be very useful to use it unattended as a second camera on a tripod and not worry about it moving. I also wonder if having the gimbal locked/on sleep mode might improve the battery life a bit.
2015-12-20
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

You can use the Orientation lock function in the app. Camera view-> Gimbal icon on the right side->Orientation lock.
2015-12-20
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

alvintoro Posted at 2015-12-21 09:52
Not sure if this is the same question, but has anyone been able to use the camera wit the gimbal phy ...

Hi, about the beeping sound after powering the Osmo on, please try to turn on the Osmo first and then try unlock the axis one by one. If the Osmo keeps beeping, try to lock the pan again and then unlock the pan and move the pan.  About the sleep mode, the Osmo would stop recording and become limp so the battery life will be improved a little bit compared to stand by with powering on.
2015-12-20
Use props
coryshubert
lvl.1

United States

The only way I have found to "lock" the gimbal is to unlock it as normal, connect to iOS app and do my settings, then lock the camera back up, beeping begins and continues through the shooting, then reposition the camera/compose and then record.  No movement at all, but the beeping is annoying.

I think the simple solution is that the app Lock function should in fact LOCK IT!  The word Lock means no movement, so it would seem without any huge deal to just do what the word suggests it does...?

OR, as Sploodge suggests, a C3 setting or something that in fact does what Lock is supposed to do, disable any and all pan/tilt/ function.  Like a Tripod setting for camera/lens combos with VR or other technology.

c
2015-12-28
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

coryshubert Posted at 2015-12-29 03:24
The only way I have found to "lock" the gimbal is to unlock it as normal, connect to iOS app and do  ...

Alright, I understand your need now, you want a lock mode(locked pan, roll and tilt) with no beeping sound. I will report your need to the corresponding engineers.
2015-12-28
Use props
LMahesa
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3520 ft
  • >>>
Indonesia

I would like to second this request, DJI-Amy.
2015-12-29
Use props
coryshubert
lvl.1

United States

Thank you DJI-Amy, that is exactly what we are asking for.

Cheers to the New Year and new updates to the OSMO

c
2016-1-1
Use props
alvintoro
lvl.2
United States

Yes. Please disable the beeping when the gimbal is locked on all axis. I tried different locking turning the Osmo on with them locked, and also diferent locking them after turning it on in different combinations but it always beeps.
2016-1-1
Use props
m.friedl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3 ft
Austria

DJI-Amy Posted at 2015-12-21 03:50
You can use the Orientation lock function in the app. Camera view-> Gimbal icon on the right side->O ...

Hello Amy,

Have tried Orientation Lock you mentioned, but my Osmo is still moving/drifting little bit using Timelapse.
have found Rotation Lock when i swipe from left to right in DJI GO App but i am not shure if this is my Solution

2016-1-24
Use props
rj74
lvl.3
  • >>>
Netherlands

m.friedl@a1.net Posted at 2016-1-24 17:16
Hello Amy,

Have tried Orientation Lock you mentioned, but my Osmo is still moving/drifting little  ...

rotation lock when you swipe in GO app refers only to the screen on the device.
2016-1-24
Use props
rodAndTheCat
lvl.4

New Zealand

alvintoro Posted at 2016-1-2 12:15
Yes. Please disable the beeping when the gimbal is locked on all axis. I tried different locking tur ...

+1 on this fix. We need to be able to turn the osmo into a static camera to ensure no drift. And the beep has to go so that sound can still be recorded.
Rod and the cat
2016-1-24
Use props
m.friedl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3 ft
Austria

Thank you for Information RJ
2016-1-25
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

rodAndTheCat Posted at 2016-1-25 05:23
+1 on this fix. We need to be able to turn the osmo into a static camera to ensure no drift. And t ...

Thanks, I understand your need and I will forward this suggestion to the R&D department.
2016-2-14
Use props
xdenvermarcusx
New

Hi there!

Yes! please add a total axis lockdown option of the camera to the gimbal. I make films with the Osmo and it'd be very usueful to have the camera fixed/locked to the gimbal for certain shots. So I can fast swipe for one subject to another without any panning and tilting. Just like using a handheld DSLR.

Thank you!
2016-6-11
Use props
KEA
lvl.2
Hong Kong

Hi there!

Is there any update? We really need this option.
2016-6-25
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

KEA Posted at 2016-6-26 00:16
Hi there!

Is there any update? We really need this option.

Hello.
Thanks for your concern. If there's any available news on this issue, we'll publish it in the official website.
2016-6-26
Use props
KEA
lvl.2
Hong Kong

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-6-27 11:58
Hello.
Thanks for your concern. If there's any available news on this issue, we'll publish it in  ...

Hi! Thanks for your answer. But could you please give us approximate time when we can expect any decision for this issue.
Are your engineers already working on this or not yet?
2016-6-27
Use props
rbabcock19
lvl.2
Flight distance : 233993 ft
United States

I was thinking about this the other day, I think it might be nice to have a function where you could choose which axis are locked, tilt pan or roll.
2016-7-7
Use props
alvintoro
lvl.2

I've been using it with the gimbal physically locked on all axis to do time lapses and static shots without drifting without issue. Works very well the only thing is I can't disable the warning beep so it will just beep non stop while using it that way.
2016-7-10
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

alvintoro Posted at 2016-7-11 09:22
I've been using it with the gimbal physically locked on all axis to do time lapses and static shots  ...

Thank you for your feedback.  Our engineers are already working on adding an option of the beeping sound.
2016-7-10
Use props
KEA
lvl.2
Russia

alvintoro Posted at 2016-7-11 09:22
I've been using it with the gimbal physically locked on all axis to do time lapses and static shots  ...

Where did you find the physical lock?
2016-7-11
Use props
nigelbrinkmann
lvl.4
Flight distance : 586391 ft
Australia

KEA Posted at 2016-7-11 19:33
Where did you find the physical lock?

They are the locks on the gimbal (roll, tilt and pan locks)
2016-7-11
Use props
KEA
lvl.2
Russia

nigelbrinkmann Posted at 2016-7-12 07:41
They are the locks on the gimbal (roll, tilt and pan locks)

Oh, probably you are talking about OSMO X3, ain't you?

I use OSMO X5 and there is no any locks.
2016-7-11
Use props
nigelbrinkmann
lvl.4
Australia

KEA Posted at 2016-7-12 14:54
Oh, probably you are talking about OSMO X3, ain't you?

I use OSMO X5 and there is no any locks. ...

Yes the x3
This threads talking about the x3 beeping after locking the gimbal etc, thought you had the x3
2016-7-12
Use props
KEA
lvl.2
Russia

nigelbrinkmann Posted at 2016-7-12 16:59
Yes the x3
This threads talking about the x3 beeping after locking the gimbal etc, thought you ha ...

X5 has the same problem. I tried locked it with my hands
2016-7-12
Use props
nigelbrinkmann
lvl.4
Australia

KEA Posted at 2016-7-12 17:39
X5 has the same problem. I tried locked it with my hands

Probably not a good idea, you don't want to put strain/stress on the gimbal motors,it will damage them
2016-7-12
Use props
KEA
lvl.2
Russia

nigelbrinkmann Posted at 2016-7-12 17:43
Probably not a good idea, you don't want to put strain/stress on the gimbal motors,it will damage  ...

Yes, you are right. That's why I'm waiting for any decision from DJI's engineers.
2016-7-12
Use props
David Huting
New
Flight distance : 138865 ft

DJI-Amy Posted at 2015-12-29 10:45
Alright, I understand your need now, you want a lock mode(locked pan, roll and tilt) with no beepi ...

I would LOVE this feature as well as I need static 4K videos for my Nature Relaxation video business and primarily bought the X5r for its small size, and uncompressed 30fps video. Any movement on this, DJI?

In situations when the camera is on a tripod and a static environment, it only makes logical sense to be able to save battery and strain on the gimbal by being able to "lock it off".

Thanks!

2016-8-31
Use props
dc_scott.mac
lvl.1
United States

David Huting Posted at 2016-9-1 05:47
I would LOVE this feature as well as I need static 4K videos for my Nature Relaxation video busines ...

The inability to keep the camera pointing forward (the same direction as the front of the stick) has driven me crazy but, for what it's worth, I've found that by choosing one of the custom Profiles (either C1 or C2), then changing the "Stick Control Direction" from "Hor/Ver" to "Free" gives me an approximation of what I want -- the Osmo lens to point the same direction as the stick itself so that I can aim the camera at something and keep it centered. Some gimbal smoothing seems to survive, as well, so I get some stabilization. It's a pain to have to go deep into the menu to change it back and forth but at least I now can keep my subject mostly centered when walking around it. Would be so much easier if there was a simple screen tap icon like "Orientation Lock," which, by the way, sounds like what I'm after but definitely isn't!
2016-9-23
Use props
james.mcmillan
lvl.2
Flight distance : 71739 ft
United States

dc_scott.mac Posted at 2016-9-24 00:36
The inability to keep the camera pointing forward (the same direction as the front of the stick) h ...

What about using the option where you "point" to a spot on the screen (the blue target appears), and the Osmo stays pointed on the target?  I've not tried any time lapse exposures doing this, but it sure seems like the camera stays locked on the target.   Just a thought...
2016-9-23
Use props
dc_scott.mac
lvl.1
United States

james.mcmillan Posted at 2016-9-24 02:09
What about using the option where you "point" to a spot on the screen (the blue target appears), a ...

Thanks. I'll try that. However, it's not so much that I want to lock onto a specific subject but, rather, know that the lens will point in the same direction as the stick as I walk around or pan. As it is, the lens direction drifts to one side or another. Sometimes I guess that's OK but it would be great to have a stick or on-screen button that occasionally and on demand makes the Osmo behave like, say, a camcorder or DSLR shooting video, i.e. the lens direction remains fixed. Smoothing a bit by the gimbal axis point would be a bonus but not absolutely necessary. The "Stick Control Direction: Free" setting seems to sort of gets me there.
2016-9-25
Use props
Neto
lvl.1
Flight distance : 600728 ft
Brazil

nigelbrinkmann Posted at 2016-7-12 07:43
Probably not a good idea, you don't want to put strain/stress on the gimbal motors,it will damage  ...

I can try to build a physical lock for all axis in a 3D printer. But wont be any stress on gimbal motors, since I'll use the unit turned off ;)
2016-11-23
Use props
Skittless
lvl.2
  • >>>
Colombia

Hi any news on this? I am using the x5 and I too would like this feature. It is frustrating to have the camera go to the sides instead of having it locked on center.
2016-12-3
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Skittless Posted at 2016-12-4 13:53
Hi any news on this? I am using the x5 and I too would like this feature. It is frustrating to have  ...

Sorry, we can't do it, since it will require a hardware modification.
2016-12-4
Use props
fansd71d52c7
New

New Zealand

Disabling the gimbal's "help I can't move" beeping after five or even 10 seconds would be a real help though.
2016-12-16
Use props
dwatts
New

United States

I would like to be able to do a slider move but the osmo keeps panning.  I have tried the orientation lock on the app and using the trigger, it still pans the same.  I have tried using the custom setting and the only ones that seem to make a difference are the pan/tilt speeds for the joystick.  The smoothtrack settings don't seem to make any difference at all, or if they are on or off.  I am using an X3 camera with the Osmo handle.
2017-1-4
Use props
Scend Media
New

United States

I use an Osmo Pro with the X5 and the fact that this is not an option is ridiculous IMO.  Especially since a car mount is sold as an accessory.  I have tried to use this on a film shoot numerous times and every time I have to tell the driver to 'drive in a straight line' because the gimbal adjusts for any direction variation.  I have tried orientation lock, smoothtrack off, and I have yet to be able to get a straight shot from this thing. I should be able to set it, frame my subjects and not have to worry about the gimbal drifting if they turn even the slightest.  I +1 this request and immediately.
2017-1-30
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules