P3 Advanced - 3rd flight and issues again resulting in a crash - video attached
1984 14 2015-12-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kubacci
lvl.1

Australia

Hey guys, I need some help/advice
I really start feeling disapointed with my p3 advanced. I already learned the first lesson thanks to you guys - I landed on the grass, turned it down by going both sticks down to the side (yes I know now). One prop touched the ground, engine got stopped in a strange position, got burnt a bit so had to exchange that.
So I bought a new engine, soldered it in, tested, added prop guards, gimbal guard at the bottom but I had no idea I would need them so soon.
So today:
Calibration,  double checked everything, 18 satelites, ready to go. 1st flight - about 4 minutes of hovering, max alt 5,4m, mainly hovering - wanted to check the engine after to see if everything was ok. My lady was playing pushing it, dragging etc so she wouldn't be afraid to catch it later on. Everything worked just fine, it was reacting properly to her actions trying to stay in place. Landed to the hand, alt around 2m. Checked the temp of the engines, everything looked ok. So I took off again, my lady started to record (every single time she does that, something goes wrong btw). I take off, hover for few seconds and then suddenly drone decends with a slight left turn. I put the throttle up for a short while so it stopped loosing altitude but it got into the left spin. I tried to brake it with short throttle but as you see I then just decided to try to catch it. Of course it did crash, only prop guard cracked, battery slided out so all props stopped immediately. Practically I was not touching the controls at all.
Any ideas what happened?
App 2.4.3 Remote controller 1.5.70 Firmware 1.6.40 Flying with begginers mode on, p-gps, 18 satellites. On the movie drone faces the wind (camera) so it spins left and to the back - with the direction of wind.
Thanks for any advices.

2015-12-26
Use props
grisal79
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1983120 ft
Italy

you were lucky, it just happened to 3 meters high, 40 meters of me! I got an RMA from dji, and I hope to also get warranty service! Too many similar incidents in the last period.
This is the video
Good luck.
2015-12-26
Use props
Rocket_Aus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1526929 ft
Australia

Need more info upload your flight log to http://healthydrones.com/ and post it here .You mention you replaced a motor so you removed the shell the gps module may have become loose at a guess but could be the wrong motor esc failure or even battery to little info at this stage.

While hand catching with the drone above you or you lady's head is relatively safe......The following of what you said is not>
"My lady was playing pushing it, dragging etc so she wouldn't be afraid to catch it later on."
Extremely dangerous and I highly recommend you don't ever push the drone!!!!! even tho there are vids of DJI guys doin it you could easily cause serious injury to your lady.
2015-12-26
Use props
Kubacci
lvl.1

Australia

Rocket_Aus Posted at 2015-12-26 20:39
Need more info upload your flight log to http://healthydrones.com/ and post it here .You mention you ...

Thank you for the link, fantastic tool to look thru the flights.
I made sure gps is connected, made sure its the right motor, batteries are brand new, fully charged on the day and batteries software updated.
Thank you for the the advice, totally agree pushing the drone in front of you cause it to slide towards you so sure - not a good idea.
Drone was well above the head, by pushing i mean trying to move it until it pushes back - and it's only a little. I showed her first how to do it, so no worries ;)
Looking thru the details of flight i found strange compass behavior. Could be it?
https://healthydrones.com/main?f ... e_id=SENSORSCompass
2015-12-26
Use props
Michael M
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1984898 ft
Canada

Dude don't grab it if you plan to keep your fingers! That's the toilet bowl effect. You didn't put calibrate it properly or there was interpherance. Also, when that happens switch into attic mode. and again for Christ sake don't grab it!!!
2015-12-26
Use props
Kubacci
lvl.1

Australia

Michael M Posted at 2015-12-26 23:38
Dude don't grab it if you plan to keep your fingers! That's the toilet bowl effect. You didn't put c ...

Should I react in any way with controls. Or just switch to atti mode? I need to turn different modes in the app before taking off then.
2015-12-26
Use props
Michael M
lvl.4
Canada

Kubacci Posted at 2015-12-26 14:22
Should I react in any way with controls. Or just switch to atti mode? I need to turn different mod ...

Attic mode does not use gps or compass. So when you have a problem like a compass error or it goes nits, it usually because of the navigation systems, gaps and compass. So switch into atti and manually land it.
2015-12-26
Use props
Michael M
lvl.4
Canada

Yours is pretty severe for toilet bowl effect, it may have been a bad motor.
2015-12-26
Use props
Sinisalo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1066804 ft
  • >>>
United States

I hope you can figure out what happened and why you crashed but I just wanted to let you know why your Phantom tipped over the first time causing you to have to replace the motor. You should turn off the motors by pressing the throttle all the way down and holding it, not by pressing both stick in or out and down. It is common knowledge that doing the CSC to stop the motors results in tipping. I personally hand catch mine anyway.
2015-12-26
Use props
Kubacci
lvl.1

Australia

Sinisalo Posted at 2015-12-27 15:49
I hope you can figure out what happened and why you crashed but I just wanted to let you know why yo ...

Thx for that, I already learned that lesson ;)
2015-12-27
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Your HealthyDrones link doesn't work so I can't see the details but the video shows bad toilet bowl effect.
This is almost certainly caused by a bad compass calibration that results in your Phantom not knowing where north is.
Bad compass calibration is a serious problem.
Learn what compass calibration is and when it is needed and you'll fly a lot safer.
http://www.phantompilots.com/thr ... plete-primer.32829/
2015-12-27
Use props
DJI-Patrick
First Officer

Hong Kong

Really sorry about the crash . Please contact your dealer or support center about the problem  and upload the .DAT file for an analysis .
Australia.jpg
2015-12-27
Use props
Kubacci
lvl.1

Australia

Unfortunately after weeks of email exchange, uploading DAT files, describing and filling up special forms, providing the most detailed information my case was closed and the outcome is - pilots error on the 1st flight. This is the THREAD
I still do not know what happened with this particular flight, I guess neither does DJI.
As a result of a pilot error on the 1st flight  (although I did what is described in the instruction) I am out of warranty. I would be anyway since I decided to change the engine on my own.
I was offered I can send it back to HK, and they will try to solve the issue but it will be a paid service. Thank you very much, I'll pass.                                                                           
2016-3-29
Use props
SuperiorsideMqt
lvl.1

United States

Looks to me you may have encountered Ring Vortex State.  Would have been best to power sideways or forward to get to better air for lift.  Very unfortunate.  Can always sell for parts to put towards a new Phantom.  
2016-3-30
Use props
Kubacci
lvl.1

Australia

Just the follow up - DJI decided to repair my drone. I had to send it to Hong Kong on my cost but after few weeks I got it back. Since then its been flying perfect, no problems whatsoever. Finally can enjoy taking pictures and videos! Thanks.
2016-7-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules