Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
New Battery Failure & Operational Failings
1807 11 2016-1-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TheBionicGroup
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4520958 ft
Australia

Hi All,

Does anyone else have a dead OSMO battery. Purchased a second with the OSMO and placed both batteries on charge, the first one remained green when inserted into the charger. The second battery took a little while and was then used to practice with.

I have just flown from London to Hobart in Tasmania (half way round the world) to grab shots of the yachts arriving on the Sydney - Hobart yahct race to find one battery is completely dead, and the other only works for half the stated battery time. So have lost pricless shots due to very dodgy equipment. I cant even buy more batteries.

After a lengthy converstaion with Tech Support I upgraded the software to then later find out that this induces wifi problems and now I have to reboot many times to get the OSMO to talk to my iPhone, again meaning many missed shots. There are reports that it has bricked soe OSMO's requiring lengthy RMAs.

I would like to hear from others who have had experiences with the OSMO as I feel the unit is vastly overstated and useless for profesional work, namely due to :-

Battery Failures / Firmware (WiFi) Issues / Waking up issues / Limited battery life
I look forward to hearing form onyone with better or similar experiences so I can decide if to move to another solution

Kind regards

Andrew

2016-1-3
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

This should be posted in the OSMO category, i'll move it there
2016-1-3
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

About the problem battery which can't be charged. When you put it in the Osmo and power it on, could you check whether the fan is working or not? If the fan is working, please try the following steps:
1) Please try to insert the battery into the charger and try to charge one more time. Make sure the charger led turns from red to green.
2) Hold the trigger and record, pull the power switch until the right led blinks red and green, try to restart it.
3) Try to update the firmware use the other battery and then insert the problem battery to Osmo again.
2016-1-4
Use props
R&L Aerial
Captain
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

A good osmo battery only last half as long as its advertising.
2016-1-4
Use props
R&L Aerial
Captain
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

2016-1-4
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2016-1-5 03:11

OSMO battery capacity is 980 mAh.
For reference, the battery is capable of shooting one hour FHD video under the condition the gimbal is still. The stabilization achieved by the gimbal will consume extra power. For dynamic shooting, the normal time of using can be 30-40 minutes depending on the using method and environment.
2016-1-4
Use props
ke-now
lvl.4
Australia

Here's my experience:

* The batteries run out quickly so it's best to take 3 fully charged batteries with you on the day.

* Wi-Fi video is not great. I find the video glitches and noisy when shooting with the Osmo and my Samsung Galaxy S4. I have tried both 2.4ghz and 5.8ghz. I wish there was a cable between the phone and Osmo for more reliable and faster video connection. I get noisy glitchy video on both Android and iOS DJI Go app.

* The iOS DJI Go app sometimes crashes for me when I'm changing exposure or ISO settings it, often just crashes. I have an iPad 3 with latest iOS.

* With my Android phone, the app sometimes crashes or the wi-fi disconnects or does not connect properly to start with.  To reduce this, I have found that I make sure the app is running first before I turn on the Osmo and connect to Osmo wi-fi.

* I have learned to use the Osmo without my phone connected most of the time, and just "guess" the framing and composition. But first, I might connect the phone to adjust settings such as ISO, or video format that I want. Then I disconnect my phone. The Osmo is nicer to hold and use without anything attached. VERY nice, very discreet. But you must guess your framing. It's a wide lens, so you can guess.

* If shooting in slow-mo, you should connect your phone however due to reduced FOV, making it harder to guess framing. Depends on your subject... if shooting boats, you don't really need your phone attached, because just point the Osmo at the boats! You will get the shot, and your battery will last longer because it's not broadcasting the video over wi-fi. But if shooting people, portraits, photography, you should connect your phone to adjust framing and settings etc. Sometimes I connect my phone temporarily and hold in my left hand  to adjust settings, then just disconnect the app and continue shooting without the phone attached. Works for me.

2016-1-4
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

ke-now Posted at 2016-1-5 14:58
Here's my experience:

* The batteries run out quickly so it's best to take 3 fully charged batteri ...

About the live video, it's depending on the decoding ability of your mobile phone, please try to clear the video cache of the app or try to reinstall it. Try to close the other background app when using the DJI GO app. Also, ipad 3 is not contained in the supporting list. So the crash might be caused by the incompatibility problem.
2016-1-5
Use props
ke-now
lvl.4
Australia

DJI-Amy Posted at 2016-1-5 19:46
About the live video, it's depending on the decoding ability of your mobile phone, please try to cl ...

OK, I re-installed the Android app and the video is now clean, no glitches. Thanks! I'm surprised that worked.

I mostly use the Android app, but on the iOS app store it says :

"Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch."

So the iPad 3 with iOS 9 should be compatible.

Also, there's a bug in the iOS app when changing C1, C2 gimbal smoothtrack and joystick settings, the values do not update properly. The values get reset as you update them.  They are not remembered if you change for example acceleration, then speed, then "save". Acceleration will reset to previous value.

Also, Android app.. please log this bug... cloudy /  sunny mixed up icons...

2016-1-5
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

ke-now Posted at 2016-1-5 20:16
OK, I re-installed the Android app and the video is now clean, no glitches. Thanks! I'm surprised  ...

Sorry for the white balance icon mix, it's a mistake, we will solve it in the next version app. Thanks for pointing it out.
About the IOS app gimbal settings, the values can update normally, it should automatically get refreshed to the set value after you saved it. Please check the compatible device. http://www.dji.com/product/osmo/info#downloads
DJI GO APP

iOS Version v2.4.3. Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, and iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular. This app is optimized for iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.
Android Version v2.4.3. Requires Android 4.1.2 or later. Compatible with Samsung tabs 705c, Samsung S6, Samsung S5, Samsung NOTE4, Samsung NOTE3, Google Nexus 9, Google Nexus 7 II, Ascend Mate7, Huawei P8 Max, Nubia Z7 mini, Sony Xperia Z3, MI 3, MI PAD, Smartisan T1.
*Support for additional Android devices available as testing and development continues.
2016-1-5
Use props
Shwell11
New

United States

Running into most issues discussed throughout the forums with my OSMO handle Kit. Wifi issue on Day 2 of ownership (25 December), just received the unit back from DJI after RMA (14 Jan), and now I am experiencing the battery issue with the original battery the unit shipped with.

When I got it back yesterday (14 Jan), I was able to power it on and use it with the original battery. Used 90% (10% remaining), and decided to charge it. Continued using the unit with my spare batteries, and when reinserting the original battery to use, I got no lights, and a soft hum of the cooling fan. The unit still works great with the extra batteries (for now), but I will try the reset with the original battery and see if this resolves this issue.

OSMO Handle Kit
Inspire 1 X3 running Firmware V01.06.00.40 (Inspire 1 Firmware)
2016-1-15
Use props
SkySurvey
lvl.1

Australia

No. 1 battery showing green on charger, place in Osmo and power switch, nothing happens?
No 2 battery showing green on the charger, place in Osmo,  right green light flashes and then nothing?
Any advice?
2016-2-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules