Osmo Video Quality \ Best Settings
18928 11 2016-1-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
boothy
lvl.1
United States

I have recently received my osmo and been playing around with it for the last few day and am a little dissapointed with the video quality. I have a go pro hero 4 black which I would say is about the same or maybe even a little better which is not what I was expecting. I have tried it in manual and set the shutter speed to 1/60, ISO 100, D-log, sharpness -2, constrast -3, colour -2 and then edited in FCPX but not that impressed.
The gimbal is great, I can't fault that but the image doesn't seem that great. I have ordered a couple of ND filters but don't think this will make much difference.

Here is a clip I recorded and uploaded to youtube showing my gopro hero 4 black, dji osmo and sony a7r II, the gopro looks much better to me?

2016-1-6
Use props
jeff_kirkland
lvl.2

Australia

YouTube compression aside, I'm not sure what issues I'm looking for...  what were you expecting from a point and shoot camera that the Osmo isn't delivering?
2016-1-6
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

Hi, what do you think is the shortage of the Osmo videos quality? Could you please provide more details?
2016-1-6
Use props
ke-now
lvl.3
Australia

Quality looks good to me.
2016-1-7
Use props
dennismurry08
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5948264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Boothy...I'm not intending to be snotty when I say this but it's a $650 (US) camera with a gimbal, phone holder, handle, controls and remote control capabilities....other than some expected 1st generation bugs I personally (just me saying that) think the picture quality for the price is hard to beat...I spend literally thousands more for my panasonics, $2500 for GH gimbals...just saying and trying to put OSMO in perspective...
2016-1-7
Use props
boothy
lvl.1
United States

dennismurry08@c Posted at 2016-1-7 12:56
Boothy...I'm not intending to be snotty when I say this but it's a $650 (US) camera with a gimbal, p ...

Yes I guess so, I have an Sony A7R II which does 4k and I guess I am looking at that and then comparing to the osmo, imagine an osmo with a full frame sensor!!!
2016-1-7
Use props
jeff_kirkland
lvl.2

Australia

I think the Osmo X5 is probably the camera that would be fairer to compare to the A7R II. Or may the X5 would be better compared to the GH4 which I use for most of my shooting these days.  

As I mentioned in another post, to me the Osmo is a great b-camera for professional work.  If I were mounting a DSLR on a gimbal for a shoot,  and it's just me solo -  no focus puller, etc, I'd want it set up with a wide angle lens and a deep depth of field and that's what the Osmo delivers without all the messing around you have with bigger rigs.  Just grab it, shoot whatever needs a gimbal, then I'm back to the GH4.

Image-wise, it seems to cut in with my GH4 fairly well but if the A7R's colour balance is anything like my Sony FS100 then I'd expect there's a bit more work in getting them to match.
2016-1-7
Use props
boothy
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Amy Posted at 2016-1-7 02:28
Hi, what do you think is the shortage of the Osmo videos quality? Could you please provide more deta ...

I know youtube compresses it but looking at the original files they look mussy. If you have the sharpening at 0 then everything is way to sharp for my liking. Not sure but I just don't think it looks great, no better than my go pro hero 4 black so I kind of feel I may have wasted my money.
2016-1-7
Use props
ab3270
New

United States

hey boothy. i have a question how did you edit your osmo footage? mine is complete crap i have final cut pro but i have no idea how to make my footage better i used the same settings as you but i just didnt know how to edit it on final i was wondering if you were able to tell me?
thank you for your time
2016-11-23
Use props
Skint
lvl.2
New Zealand

Gopro use the same Ambarella ADV7611 video processor as the Osmo so there wil be some similarities with compression, not sure what the camera modules are though.
With regards to colour space from tests I have seen others do, the D-Log on the Osmo is harder to use because of the heavy compression (60mbps vs 100mbps) so you may get better results with Art or Cinelike-D and then colour correcting.  
2016-11-23
Use props
Oglo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 181693 ft
Australia

Do the same test shooting at 2.7k, Art, and only sharpness set to -1, same frame rate on all cameras. Frame the subject so the same detail is shown in frame i.e. pull the Osmo back further or push the Gopro in closer so you have a much better framing comparison. Your Gopro footage looked slightly better on my monitor, but your X3 footage looked like tests I've done where I set sharpness -2, constrast -2, colour -2 and Dlog (like you). Image looked just way too mushy, there is no way the heavy compression (60mbps) can handle Dlog without compression artifacts coming into the picture once you correct. If you can be bothered re doing your tests please post.
2016-11-24
Use props
janniscamera
New

United States

yep. Dji osmo have to many noises on the footage, electronic noises , just in outdoors work , but indoors is really really bad,
2017-2-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules