P2V+ Video Quality
1551 5 2015-1-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sebastian.ronco
lvl.2
Flight distance : 609537 ft
Argentina

Hello, I have a Phantom 2 Vision + V2 and I am very happy, but one thing I do not like:

The video quality in all modes, 720p 60 fps is acceptable but the quality becomes a gopro 2

The compression is very high and sharpen STD is too hard, the SOFT is too soft, you can not set using values from 1 to 10 for example

may dji improve quality in the next firmware?

Could increase the bit rate?

Do you have any technique to treat video and get good results in post?

2015-1-1
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think the the light is important...that is, the light when you take video.

Many people use a lens hood and a filter - these help with some of the problems.

DJI is announcing some new stuff at CES in a week. I would not be surprised if they upgrade the Phantom camera either now or in the future - this might be some in firmware, but also the hardware.
2015-1-1
Use props
gnixon
lvl.4

United States

droneflyer, do you have any links to lens hoods for any of the phantoms (mine is a p2v no plus)
2015-1-1
Use props
sebastian.ronco
lvl.2
Flight distance : 609537 ft
Argentina

Thanks for your answer.

Lent hoods improved flicker produced by the propellers. I mean the videos are recorded to 11Mbs bit rate with a lot of compression and artifacts. Very evident in patterns such as grass or brick wall.

Try shooting with sharpen in SOFT and then add sharpen in FCPX, the picture is more natural but it's so soft that comes from the camera that is very difficult to achieve good results.

It would be nice to have improvements such as:

* Flat style to improve the dynamic range in post
* Higher bit rate to improve the quality
* Better control over sharpen. to select values between 0 and 10
2015-1-1
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

gnixon@comporiu Posted at 2015-1-2 09:32
droneflyer, do you have any links to lens hoods for any of the phantoms (mine is a p2v no plus)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/33135121 ... =STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I have one of this,  It works great.
2015-1-1
Use props
MacCool
lvl.3

United States

Firmware can only go so far. Bottom line, the processor and the sensor, both the most expensive components of the camera, have limitations, bit rate and compression primarily. If you want better video out of the Vision+, best to hope for a new camera rather than a firmware upgrade. I suspect they've pretty much maxed this one out because they know they're competing with GoPro, and that competition will get even stiffer over the next couple of years, I suspect.
2015-1-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules