Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Using POI to PAN - a Video Exercise
2332 23 2016-1-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cetaman
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha,

This video uses only the Point of Interest (POI) option of the IOC (Intelligent Orientation Control) during the filming.  During post, I played with some interesting artifacts that were a result of the exercise.  BTW, I like slow, accurate pans that allow you to see details in the subject matter (I tried to at least!).

Also of note is the arrival on O'ahu of a VOG front (volcanic gasses) from the Big Island volcano Kilauea (Hawai'i Island, over 200 miles away SE) pouring through the sunlit passes in the pali (cliffs).  The VOG is a major impediment to filming on the island.  But the lessons learned from you guys on this forum have taught me some ways to make it less of a problem.  
     Still practicing with the toys you guys provide.  Hope you enjoy some of the fun!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-1-20
Use props
lignow
lvl.4
Canada

Very Good. I like the flying reverse / camera upward tilt at the start.
2016-1-20
Use props
Cetaman
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

lignow Posted at 2016-1-20 11:03
Very Good. I like the flying reverse / camera upward tilt at the start.

Aloha lignow,

Mahalo!  Actually, that is my favorite part of the whole video.  Almost looks 3D and was totally accidental!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-1-21
Use props
ccbiggz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 117697 ft
United States

I've never been to Hawaii, but would love too! Great shots!
2016-1-21
Use props
Wee Joe
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Loved the video! You have some stunning scenery on your doorstep!
2016-1-21
Use props
Cetaman
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Wee Joe Posted at 2016-1-21 02:07
Loved the video! You have some stunning scenery on your doorstep!

Aloha Joe,

Mahalo!  But the VOG is a real problem for filming.  It is nice though when it is nice!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-1-21
Use props
Cetaman
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

ccbiggz Posted at 2016-1-21 01:04
I've never been to Hawaii, but would love too! Great shots!

Aloha biggz,

Mahalo!  It does get nice here, when there is no VOG.  I mean, why can they not keep it over on the Big Island!  It even gives you gala-gala in your throat and congests your nose.  

The jungle is interesting for video though and the P3 handles it real well.  That whole video was POI (and post of course).

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-1-21
Use props
mana.ram.1974
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1528688 ft
United States

Very beautiful place, so many places to fly!
2016-1-26
Use props
Cetaman
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

mana.ram.1974 Posted at 2016-1-26 04:33
Very beautiful place, so many places to fly!

Aloha mana,

But hard to get out of my back yard!  The Makapu'u tide pools are calling me.  .  .

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-1-26
Use props
metronome
lvl.2
Flight distance : 48852 ft
United States

magnifique!!
2016-1-26
Use props
Cetaman
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Aloha metronome,

Mahalo!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-1-27
Use props
johnsr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

Clever idea to use the POI to take smooth pans. Thanks for sharing your lovely place (its windy & gray here south of Paris).
Good Flying & enjoy those tide pools...
2016-1-27
Use props
microcyb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

Awesome! Just shows I really have to up my flying/cam skills.
2016-1-27
Use props
Cetaman
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

johnsr Posted at 2016-1-27 04:49
Clever idea to use the POI to take smooth pans. Thanks for sharing your lovely place (its windy & gr ...

Aloha johnsr,

Mahalo!  It is windy and very VOGgy here today.  The sun is out but everything is extremely washed out like a bad day of SMOG.  If I have any luck with those tide pools, it will make for a good video.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-1-27
Use props
Cetaman
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

microcyb Posted at 2016-1-27 05:06
Awesome! Just shows I really have to up my flying/cam skills.

Aloha micro,

It is all here on this forum.  Keep searching and the information just keeps popping up.  Learn how to use this forum.  There is information in each function and it all leads somewhere and that is usually where you want to go.

There is a lot of creativity here that you can tap into and use for inspiration.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-1-27
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

That's fantastic!!   Say,  maybe we could make a deal.  Trade homes for a week or two every year.  You live in a very beautiful place and if you were to live here for a while you would appreciate it all the more!
2016-1-28
Use props
Cetaman
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-1-27 23:49
That's fantastic!!   Say,  maybe we could make a deal.  Trade homes for a week or two every year.  Y ...

Aloha Kneepuck,

Sorry, but a nice as it is, I could not do that to you because when I first moved up here thirty years ago, I was sick every three weeks (I came from the dry side).  There is just so much mold and mildew in the jungle (and in jungle houses), your body has to adapt.  It took me three years to adapt.  Now for me to go over to your dry zone - no problems for me, except the snakes.  

Then there are the mosquitoes and the 747 cockroaches that try to carry away small children!  But no snakes!  Promise you will not tell the Tourist Police I posted this!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-1-28
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Cetaman Posted at 2016-1-28 14:37
Aloha Kneepuck,

Sorry, but a nice as it is, I could not do that to you because when I first  ...

I knew it.  Nothing ever goes right for me.  The only thing between me and a stay in beautiful Hawaii are a few lousy reptiles and bugs.  Actually,  I don't mind the bugs.  I just don't like the ones that walk,  crawl or fly.
2016-1-28
Use props
Bobcat90
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2517654 ft
  • >>>
Taiwan

Question: at the beginning of the vid., when you did the vertical lift off, were you in atti mold or in gps, and what was your speed as you were ascending?  By the way, outstanding video.  It was a pleasure to watch.
2016-1-28
Use props
Cetaman
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-1-28 12:52
I knew it.  Nothing ever goes right for me.  The only thing between me and a stay in beautiful Haw ...

Aloha Kneepuck,

If you are a big guy, it is not so bad 'cuz they cannot carry or fly you away.  Remember those old movies where the missionary is carried away by "natives" to the cannibal pot.  Actually, those natives were just a couple native bugs.  You have to look close!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-1-28
Use props
Cetaman
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bobcat90 Posted at 2016-1-28 16:30
Question: at the beginning of the vid., when you did the vertical lift off, were you in atti mold or ...

Aloha Bobcat,

It was the simplest of flying, auto-take-off, then full throttle straight up (with concentration) at 5 meters / second (from the manual) to 400 feet, all in P-GPS.  This is great technology!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-1-28
Use props
Bobcat90
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2517654 ft
  • >>>
Taiwan

Cetaman Posted at 2016-1-29 11:16
Aloha Bobcat,

It was the simplest of flying, auto-take-off, then full throttle straight up ( ...

Thanks for your response.
2016-1-29
Use props
ryan209
lvl.3

United States

Awesome Video!
2016-2-3
Use props
Cetaman
First Officer