Hand catch and VPS
1652 23 2016-1-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
festusxj
lvl.2

United States

So I returned my P3S. Boo. Really enjoyed flying it and had great success with it. Yay. Until the firmware update gave it incurable shakes. Boo. But with the sale ongoing, I was able to pick up a P3A for almost the amount of the refund. Yay! First one from Amazon was old motors and shell. Boo (simmer down, after all the issues with gimbal vibration, I just want to mitigate the chances if this one getting the shakes too) Now I  have another on the way with new motors and shell. Yay.

Now to the question; does VPS cause problems with hand catching? ie. If the sensors suddenly sense my hand reaching for the drone will it attempt to correct altitude based upon me and not the ground?
2016-1-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I hand catch 100% of the time. And you returned your Standard because of vibrations? I have not heard of vibrations with the Standard. I know a few of the Pro/Advanced models have a vibration issue after firmware update.
2016-1-22
Use props
msjh
lvl.3

United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-23 07:19
I hand catch 100% of the time. And you returned your Standard because of vibrations? I have not hear ...

How do you hand catch?  I did it for the first time yesterday
- hover at about 6 ft up
- grab gear
- left stick fully back

but I was concerned that as I lowered it (while the battery was still powered up) the P3 was on its side and the gimbal still powered.  
2016-1-23
Use props
festusxj
lvl.2

United States

Ken, I'm sorry, I know you've got your hands full here on the forums, but you're actually the one who advised I return my P3S.   http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=36287&page=64&mobile=2#pid281110 See posts 317 and 319 specifically, but the discussion goes further back than that. I also provided a link to a video of the vibration and a log file during the course of that thread.
2016-1-23
Use props
Dan
lvl.2
Flight distance : 408054 ft
United States

Are a lot of you doing hand catches on a regular basis?  What am I missing?  Without knowing any better, I would have thought hand catch was more dangerous to the catcher and runs a greater risk of breaking a leg or dropping the quad.  Auto land does a nice job most of the time and I frequently fly mine to the ground.  I can see hand catch on a boat, but what am I missIng?
2016-1-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Dan@elams.org Posted at 2016-1-23 21:47
Are a lot of you doing hand catches on a regular basis?  What am I missing?  Without knowing any bet ...

If the landing area is dirt or jagged rocks than I hand catch. I also just usually hand catch anyways just to keep the aircraft cleaner for debris.
2016-1-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

msjh Posted at 2016-1-23 20:31
How do you hand catch?  I did it for the first time yesterday
- hover at about 6 ft up
- grab gear ...

You have to have your palm i the corner of the legs. Your fingers support the bottom of the leg and your thumb supports the side of the leg.
2016-1-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

festusxj Posted at 2016-1-23 21:09
Ken, I'm sorry, I know you've got your hands full here on the forums, but you're actually the one wh ...

Did you call tech support to start an RMA?
2016-1-23
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

l hand catch always, this drone has never landed on the ground. l know it's a controversial topic, so l'll just try to answer your question from what l've seen online:
There were a few videos circulating of P3s starting to bounce around when getting close to the ground shortly after they were introduced last year. A couple started bouncing as the pilot was reaching for a hand-catch. Some said it was FW, some said it was VPS.
Obviously l don't know what caused those things to happen, but l did switch off my VPS because l don't need it.
2016-1-23
Use props
flormo2002
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12242710 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-23 01:19
I hand catch 100% of the time. And you returned your Standard because of vibrations? I have not hear ...

I hear that many people hand catch. Please explain what advantage if any........there is in doing this? I would think that it's more prone to a potential accident. I find it very easy just to land on the ground with no problems
2016-1-23
Use props
flormo2002
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

flormo2002@yaho Posted at 2016-1-23 12:25
I hear that many people hand catch. Please explain what advantage if any........there is in doing  ...

Sorry for repeating what others have already said. I didn't read further beforehand
2016-1-23
Use props
johnsr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

Just for completeness here's the basic hand-catch (as I understand it):
•        Start by hovering the Phantom in a stable position with the rotors just above head height at a safe distance (downwind) from you. It is safer to start with it facing away from you.
•        Step toward it (do not fly the bird toward yourself).
•        Reach up and firmly grasp the right-side rear leg (assuming that the bird is facing away from you) with your right hand and hold it without any pulling or pushing (the Phantom will react to outside forces on itself).
•        At the same time pull the throttle stick fully down with your left hand’s thumb and hold it down for 3 seconds (the motors will stop).
It helps to have a neck loop or lanyard on the RC controller. If you observe that the Phantom has a tendency to tilt or flip while cutting power, you are not holding it correctly (often beginners take the left-side leg and their wrist turns). Correctly performed, your hand should not be seen by the VPS system (if you have chosen to use it). Be aware that this maneuver involves some risk; it should be undertaken only after you have gained some flight experience. No one (including pets) should be near you when hand-catching.
Personally, I hand-catch only when necessary, roughly about 1/3 of the time depending upon the terrain.
Good flying!
2016-1-23
Use props
festusxj
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-23 12:57
Did you call tech support to start an RMA?

Ken,

I did initially start a ticket.  240508? I spend a considerable amount of time on the road. DJI responded while I was away from home, and they claimed my issue was resolved after about 2 days without comms from me. I re opened and sent them the video and file. To which they responded I hadn't updated to the latest firmware (1.6?). As my problem began with 1.5, that was the data I provided DJI. The problem continued with 1.6, but admittedly, I became frustrated with the process and elected to do the return to Amazon rather than prolong the process.

I really enjoy the product, but was disheartened when the firmware crushed my experience. I truly appreciate your efforts to help us. But I really was done with a misbehaving drone I wasn't comfortable with, and no apparent resolution on the horizon.

I genuinely believe my drone was one of a small few with some sort of issue, and not part of some sweeping, broad based problem. There are way to many people here (and a lot more who are not here) who have had no issues whatsoever for this to be a fleet-wide problem.  If I believed the issue was indicative of all phantom 3's I certainly wouldn't have invested in another DJI product.

That being said, I'm busy. I have a couple jobs and a family. My spare time is sparse, and I don't have a ton of free time to troubleshoot instead of fly. I'm really looking forward to the arrival of my new phantom and, fingers crossed, some trouble free droning.

Thanks again Ken for your efforts here. I don't envy your position here as you mostly deal with the problems. I share your optimism that a great percentage of users have no issues and are having a great time with their Phantoms. I hope to be one soon.
2016-1-23
Use props
festusxj
lvl.2

United States

As far as the hand catch. I live on a golf course and typically launch from the cart path. I'm trying not to highlight myself and attempt to recover before golfers get anywhere near my house. Unfortunately sometimes they linger longer than I can loiter or before I can get back,  so I'll hand catch rather than land in my sloping yard or steep driveway.

Golfers screwing up my drone course... Ha!
2016-1-23
Use props
gherd
lvl.2
United States

While I haven't had a lot of flights yet, I hand catch half the time.  I wanted to be sure it was easy before fishing season when I plan to launch from a small boat and will need to hand catch.  It is very easy to hand catch.  
2016-1-23
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

100% hand catch.  I have never seen VPS react to the quad being caught.
2016-1-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

festusxj Posted at 2016-1-24 07:36
Ken,

I did initially start a ticket.  240508? I spend a considerable amount of time on the road.  ...

Thanks for the kinds words, it's greatly appreciated.
I'm sorry your experience with support wasn't stellar.
I' glad you were able to return to Amazon and start over. While your waiting for it to arrive, take a look at some of the great info in the Academy tab (if I haven't already told you)
Let us know when your new one arrives, and feel free to start a thread with whatever questions you may have.
2016-1-23
Use props
annoyboyPicture
lvl.1
Sri Lanka

My personal experience with the VPS system is that its COMPLETE JUNK...  Whenever there are 7 Satellites or less, the Yellow Status bar appears saying "SAFE TO FLY in NON-GPS" but it just drifts all over the place... I have tried this indoors, and it has bounced off the walls a couple of times... I tried this last weekend in a forest with green shrubs below and it kept hitting the trees (I have Prop Guards) ... It never Holds steady no matter what the surface below is.   
2016-3-1
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

johnsr Posted at 2016-1-23 10:56
Just for completeness here's the basic hand-catch (as I understand it):
•        Start by hovering the Pha ...

Very nice and concise description.  Now I know the butterfly net is actually just an option.  I should never have bought that thing.

Seriously,  well done.  Thanks.
2016-3-1
Use props
WetDog
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1131886 ft
United States

One safety tip for hand catchers - eye protection.  In the event that the P3 does go out of control (never seen it happen, but it is certainly possible) you could end up with some lacerations on your face - painful, but not permanent.  Or you could lacerate the eyeball..  Painful and likely permanent.  You are also under a powerful downdraft that can pick up little bits of stuff and deposit them in your face.

Foresight is better than no sight.  That saying, I hand catch almost all of the time.  Much easier once you get the hang of it.
2016-3-1
Use props
Username Here
lvl.3
United States

I've got a P2V+, a P3S, and a P3P and I hand catch 100% of the time.
2016-3-1
Use props
johnsr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-3-2 04:38
Very nice and concise description.  Now I know the butterfly net is actually just an option.  I sh ...

Thanks Kneepuck, but I'd keep that net for the really windy days!
2016-3-2
Use props
thumb
lvl.4
United States

I've only had maybe a total of 30 flights on my P3A and after the 2nd flight and landing on the ground it started to lean forward and almost hit the props so I have hand caught after that with no problems at all.
2016-3-2
Use props
flormo2002
Second Officer
  • >>>

I started with the Phantom FC40 and always landed on the ground. The P3P is a more stable bird than the FC40 so I continue to land on the ground and it's never bounced or tried to tip over. I would think hand grabbing it is more trouble than just landing because how much simpler could it really be? I've got a pair of Polarpro landing gear extensions that I sometimes attach when I know that I'll be landing on uneven surfaces and makes it extremely stable even on a good angle.
2016-3-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules