Safety Tips - How to Use the Attitude Indicator and Map in the DJ...
9532 30 2016-2-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

2016-2-5
Use props
johnsr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

That is a very clear and interesting tutorial! Thanks for posting it.
2016-2-6
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Tim,

Nice and simple should be easy to understand for new Pilots using the Inspire platform.

I like that we are now seeing little chunks of the iOS device/ App and what the functions do.  It makes it easier for everyone to take on board and learn what everything does.  

keep them coming , Nice work.
2016-2-6
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

very clear instructions

thank you Tim

Rich
2016-2-6
Use props
m_fraedrich
lvl.2

Germany

Thanks Tim for the very good instructions

Martin
2016-2-6
Use props
anandharaj
lvl.2
Flight distance : 55184 ft
Malaysia

Good tutorial with clear instructions. Looking forward more new video tutorials like this.
2016-2-6
Use props
Sanderds
New

United States

I love the software, love the equipment.
2016-2-6
Use props
petevandra
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6939 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Excellent Tim - thankyou
2016-2-6
Use props
nilsblix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23047543 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Very good tutorial and should be useful for new pilots. Great
2016-2-7
Use props
Bhujang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534587 ft
United Kingdom

Very useful video. Can anyone explain the difference between the 2 red arrows at video point 2:45. One bottom left shows drone head point but then so does the one over the map and both are clearly very different. Is it just the map orientation to North making the difference?

Thanks
2016-2-7
Use props
-=RaM=-
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Great stuff...Thanks
2016-2-7
Use props
Rebel Gal
lvl.2

United States

Hey Tim

As always GREAT information!

Thanks
2016-2-7
Use props
lidolido77
lvl.1

United States

The attitude display is mostly self-explanatory except the controller position and the white cone indicating the orientation of the remote controller. Why in the video is the center the controller, but the cone of white light starts from the edge of the radar?  See 1:40 in the video. Also if you go to 2:55, the P3 is far away, but it still showing at the center of the radar on top of the controller position.

It looks like the white cone is always at the top of the radar, showing relative position to the red arrow, but it's not made clear. Guess I'll have to pay attention next time I'm using the Go app when flying (don't use it that much).
2016-2-7
Use props
tonezta81
New

Australia

Great video
2016-2-7
Use props
lidolido77
lvl.1

United States

lidolido77 Posted at 2016-2-7 14:03
The attitude display is mostly self-explanatory except the controller position and the white cone in ...

FYI, for anyone interested - the red arrow does move around as expected relative to the controller in the center. Moving the controller will change the orientation of the red arrow relative to the controller on the radar. Still not sure why the white cone is nailed to the top of the radar; I know it the controller direction is always from the center to the top of the radar, but the cone really makes no sense, unless someone can explain it.
2016-2-7
Use props
Heli-Pilot
lvl.1
Flight distance : 17589 ft
United States

Great video, thank you!
2016-2-8
Use props
pcm2a
lvl.1

United States

Seems like a video for the P3 but it shows up as a thread in the P2 section?
2016-2-9
Use props
vr-pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4668169 ft
Germany

Thanks for the video!
I can only recommend every pilot to learn all the features of the attitude indicator in conjunction with the red arrow and digital readouts.
If a compass error should occur and the aircraft must be flown (manually) in Atti-mode, knowing how the attitude and red arrow indications can be used for a safe return are essential skills.
Especially when the aircraft is quite far away, the visibility is poor (e.g. low light) and the conditions are windy...
For that reason I always check prior to take-off, if the red arrow indication is identical to the aircraft's actual heading. Noticing that there is a huge difference while in the air during difficult flying conditions is quite challenging...   
2016-2-9
Use props
jrm11
lvl.3
Flight distance : 224577 ft
United States

sorry to nitpick, but...

Prior to the 1:00 mark, the narrator states "altitude indicator" while the text states "attitude indicator." I believe he means to say "attitude"
2016-2-10
Use props
almonte31
New

United States

Hi why my phantom 3 standard lost connection with gps and video when i fly it over 30 feet high  ant distance
2016-2-11
Use props
vr-pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4668169 ft
Germany

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-2-10 02:30
If a compass error should occur that red arrow cannot be trusted. Its orientation in the app is de ...

Thanks for your advice.
I privately own a P3P "only", so the "free gimbal mode" compass test will not work here.
But the company I work for uses an Inspire 1. As we frequently fly in areas with critical steel surroundings having a "cyclic" preflight compass test like you described is a good idea. I will test it the next time...
2016-2-14
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Another great Tutorial Tim
2016-2-15
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great Tim, very informative. Cheryl is stunning also
How is this for an idea? A DVD of all of theTutorials. I for one would buy it. Colin Smith has one out. How about DJI doing one?
2016-2-15
Use props
Not A Speck Of
lvl.4
Flight distance : 666493 ft
United States

That cleared up a lot of stuff for me. Thanks!

Chris
2016-2-15
Use props
Not A Speck Of
lvl.4
Flight distance : 666493 ft
United States

jrm11 Posted at 2016-2-10 22:25
sorry to nitpick, but...

Prior to the 1:00 mark, the narrator states "altitude indicator" while the ...

(Love the video, but ...)

Don't be sorry. These are exactly the kinds on inconsistencies that professional documentation and training materials need to fix.
2016-2-15
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

jrm11 Posted at 2016-2-11 14:25
sorry to nitpick, but...

Prior to the 1:00 mark, the narrator states "altitude indicator" while the ...

yes, thanks for pointing that out
2016-2-15
Use props
kyrvas
lvl.3

vr-pilot Posted at 2016-2-9 15:23
Thanks for the video!
I can only recommend every pilot to learn all the features of the attitude ind ...

Newbie here ... also, I am orientation challenged.

You mentioned, "check prior to take-off, if the red arrow indication is identical to the aircraft's actual heading." Every time I begin to fly my aircraft, the attitude indicator's Red arrow is pointing toward 3 o'clock (even though the Remote Controller and the aircraft are pointing at 12 o'clock relative to me the pilot). This is confusing to me when flying and turning the aircraft 90 degrees clockwise to the 3o'clock position relative to me since it causes the Red arrows to turn toward 6o'clock on the attitude indicator and the map!

If I get a Low Battery warning and say I have been video panning and have my P3P in an 180 degree position from its Home Point, I can easily get confused with my first stick movements to RTH.

I hope this was a clear explanation of my experience.

Also, before I took my first outdoor flights, I spent  several hours using the DJI Flight Simulator (very thankful for that App) but the App ALWAYS had the starting position of the Red arrows pointing at 12 o'clock relative to me, the pilot. I expected the same when in actual outdoor flight!

Finally, how can I get the Red arrow, representing the aircraft, to point in the same direction as the pilot and the aircraft nose heading?
2016-4-15
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

kyrvas Posted at 2016-4-16 17:33
Newbie here ... also, I am orientation challenged.

You mentioned, "check prior to take-off, if t ...

You need to calibrate the compass in your phone/tablet.
Google will find instructions for you.
2016-4-15
Use props
kyrvas
lvl.3
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-4-16 15:36
You need to calibrate the compass in your phone/tablet.
Google will find instructions for you.

Thanks for the quick response, Labroides!
I didn't know that there was a compass in my iPad. Although I have occasionally, while in the DJI GO app, seen a compass like circle with degree ticks come up onto the screen and disappear - I never know how to get it back on screen.

2016-4-15
Use props
PinkBlue
lvl.1

Thailand

thanks, very nice and clear
2016-4-16
Use props
jhyslop
lvl.1

Canada

At 3:00, the tutorial states "if your phone or mobile device does not have GPS, [the blue dot] will not display." The controller has a built-in GPS. Why does it need an external GPS from the mobile device?
2016-8-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules