SERIOUS Problems - Camera Drifting & Horizon issue
12Next >
8956 45 2016-2-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JD约翰先生
lvl.2

Sweden

Provided I am an owner and big fan of the Osmo (despite its flaws), here are two problems that are making my filming experience more than just a little frustrating:

Camera drifting: if I position my Osmo on the tripod, frame the scene and then leave it there to record, I notice that it will OFTEN drift either left or right for no reason whatsoever. I've had videos ruined for this reason, and putting the "position lock" (or whatever it's called) doesn't solve the issue.

Horizon Issue: I find myself having to manually adjust the horizon AGAIN and AGAIN, for the settings to then completely lose effectiveness a few minutes later. Even when I do eventually find the perfect horizon line, I start recording while also holding the "position lock" button and the problem often comes back, ruining the overall result and having constant slanted videos.

Someone from DJI, can you please help solve these issues and/or inform me/customers whether the new firmware will address this issue?

Thanks a lot for the support, and the Osmo is otherwise a great product (and a lot of fun to use).

JD
2016-2-8
Use props
m.friedl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3 ft
Austria

Hi JD,

I have same Issue with Drifting here when i take Timelapses.

Also there are unwanted Moves in the Film.

Mike
2016-2-8
Use props
rodAndTheCat
Second Officer

New Zealand

m.friedl@a1.net Posted at 2016-2-9 01:18
Hi JD,

I have same Issue with Drifting here when i take Timelapses.

Me too, even after bugfix . Disappointing, especially as the bugfix is supposed to have solved this issue.

it's a shame because the concept of OSMO is pretty good . I hope they will address this, but given the zero response on the sound sync problem I won't be holding my breath.
Rod and the cat .
2016-2-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Which update are you on?
Also have you done a gimbal calibration?
2016-2-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

rodAndTheCat Posted at 2016-2-9 05:09
Me too, even after bugfix . Disappointing, especially as the bugfix is supposed to have solved thi ...

I'm sorry you are having an issue, can you reattempt the firmware.
And did you do the update through the app or SD card?
If you did it through the app, try using the BIN file on the SD card.
2016-2-8
Use props
m.friedl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3 ft
Austria

I´m using the latest BUGFIX-Version and never used the In-App-Upgrade.

I did the Update using SD Card only.

Mike
2016-2-8
Use props
JD约翰先生
lvl.2

Sweden

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-8 22:16
Which update are you on?
Also have you done a gimbal calibration?

Hi, i'm on the latest one - OSMO Firmware v1.4.1.80

Gimbal Calibration? I have done that maybe 500 times, both the automatic one and the manual horizon calibration. It just continues losing the horizon anyway after some use.

I've been tempted to do something drastic like: instead of unlocking the gimbal in all three of its axis, unlock only two of them and keep the one that moves the horizon locked. Would that potentially (and temporarily) fix the horizon problem, or it would it just damage the Osmo?

Other solutions, fixes?
2016-2-8
Use props
rodAndTheCat
Second Officer

New Zealand

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2016-2-8
Use props
rodAndTheCat
Second Officer

New Zealand

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-9 10:19
And did you do the update throu ...

Yep, latest update via SD card and recalibrated evry time of use pretty much.
Rod and the cat
2016-2-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

JD约翰先生 Posted at 2016-2-9 09:48

Gimbal Calibration? I have done that maybe 50 ...

I'm sorry but it may need to come in for repair.
2016-2-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

rodAndTheCat Posted at 2016-2-9 10:05
Yep, latest update via SD card and recalibrated evry time of use pretty much.
Rod and the cat

Likewise, if nothing will eliminate the drift then it may need to come in for repair.
2016-2-8
Use props
rodAndTheCat
Second Officer

New Zealand

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-9 15:44
Likewise, if nothing will eliminate the drift then it may need to come in for repair.

Ken, are you saying you have the same problem?
Rod and the cat
2016-2-9
Use props
Ced007
lvl.1

Switzerland

rodAndTheCat Posted at 2016-2-9 12:16
Rod and the cat

No, I think Ken says that the OSMO needs to be sent for repair.
2016-2-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

rodAndTheCat Posted at 2016-2-9 19:16
Rod and the cat

No, I was suggesting sending it in for repair. All the Osmo's I use do not have any issues.
2016-2-9
Use props
Hendrikvw
lvl.1
New Zealand

I have the same issue with my Osmo. No amount of calibration or software updates fixes the drifting horizon issue.

Put it on a tripod and it goes leg up like a male dog relieving himself.

Does it need repair, or do we just live with it until a fix comes up?
2016-2-10
Use props
johanna.fry
New

United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-8 21:19
And did you do the update throu ...

I have this problem too. In fact I've yet to produce one useable shot for a variety of issues. How EXACTLY can I access and firmware updates?
2016-2-11
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

johanna.fry Posted at 2016-2-12 06:19
I have this problem too. In fact I've yet to produce one useable shot for a variety of issues. How ...

Can you try this and if it does not work then it may need to come in for repair.
Also, you've tried all the calibrations right?
It's never been dropped?
Osmo Firmware reset.jpg
2016-2-11
Use props
JD约翰先生
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-11 15:43
Can you try this and if it does not work then it may need to come in for repair.
Also, you've trie ...

Never been dropped, of course. I take super good care of it.

I will try this OSMO firmware reset then. I've been using the latest firmware for 2/3 weeks now, so it's already in the SD card. Looks like all I have to do is turn the OSMO on (without needing to turn on the app, right?) press and hold the trigger and shutter for at least 3 seconds, and then when I release them I need to push the power switch down. Correct?

Hope this works, and since there are so many people having my same problems, I doubt it's a hardware/faulty product issue...it must be the firmware/software.

Will keep you posted on developments,

JD
2016-2-14
Use props
nigelbrinkmann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 586391 ft
Australia

JD约翰先生 Posted at 2016-2-14 16:40

I will try this OSMO firmware reset  ...

Hold down the trigger and record button at the same time then while holding pull the power switch on untill the status indicator blinks green,then release the power button first,then release the trigger
2016-2-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

JD约翰先生 Posted at 2016-2-14 01:40

Sounds good, let me know.
2016-2-14
Use props
JD约翰先生
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-14 08:54
**** The posts are shielded ****

I can't see anything in your post. How come?
2016-2-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

JD约翰先生 Posted at 2016-2-17 10:11
I can't see anything in your post. How come?

I'm not sure, sometimes that will happen.
I just said, "Sounds goos, let me know"
2016-2-16
Use props
JD约翰先生
lvl.2

China

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-17 10:42
**** The posts are shielded ****

Still nothing, says "the posts are shielded"...
2016-2-16
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

JD约翰先生 Posted at 2016-2-9 09:48

Gimbal Calibration? I have done that maybe 50 ...

Hi, JD,Before powering on, auto-calibration or shooting, please always make sure the three axes are all unlocked to avoid any damage to the motors.Thanks!
2016-2-17
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Hendrikvw Posted at 2016-2-11 07:03
I have the same issue with my Osmo. No amount of calibration or software updates fixes the drifting  ...

Hi,

Is the FW of your Osmo the latest version 1.4.1.80? If it is, please try to do the auto-calibration, you may need more trial. In addition, this situation may be caused by the sudden temperature change or difference since the sensors within the Osmo are extremely sensitive. So, you may not need to worry too much!
2016-2-17
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

johanna.fry Posted at 2016-2-12 06:19
I have this problem too. In fact I've yet to produce one useable shot for a variety of issues. How ...

Hello, johanna.fry

About the firmware update, please search DJI official website http://www.dji.com/product/osmo/info#downloads and download the latest firmware into the SD card of enough room. You need to extract the *.bin to the root directory of the SD card. Insert the SD card into the Osmo, power on the Osmo and the upgrade will begin automatically. It may take around 25 minutes.

Note: The power status indicator will shine solid green during a normal upgrade, and the camera indicator will blink red and green alternatively. The power status indicator will change to solid green after the upgrade is finished.
When the indicator implies that the upgrade is finished, please unplug the SD card and insert it into a PC with a SD card reader, check the storage location of log files for upgrade result, the route is ‘Micro SD-Misc/log/OSMO_FW_LOG_AB_txt’.
You may need serveral trial to upgrade successfully.

If you have any problem, please just post to us here freely. Thanks!
2016-2-17
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

nigelbrinkmann Posted at 2016-2-14 18:35
Hold down the trigger and shutter buttons at the same time then while holding pull the power switch ...

Hi, thanks for your reply!
But I'd like to clarify that actually what you're saying is for reset the WiFi, please refer to the User Manual P13 [10].
The correct way to upgrade the FW is the Trigger button + Record button + Power switch.
2016-2-17
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

JD约翰先生 Posted at 2016-2-14 16:40

Hello! JD,
If you want to re-upgrade the latest firmware, please use these combination: While holding the Trigger and Record button at the same time, power on the Osmo until you the indicator blinks green and red alternately. After that the upgrade will begin automatically.
Please refer to the P21 of the User Manual.
About the drift, if it's under the tolerance, it belongs to normal situation. Sometimes, the big temperature difference may affect the performance of the gimbal and cause the drift, so just please take good care of your Osmo. Seasonable calibration may be required sometimes.

2016-2-17
Use props
rodAndTheCat
Second Officer

New Zealand

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-2-17 23:14
Hello! JD,
If you want to re-upgrade the latest firmware, please use these combination: While holdi ...

DJI Adela, sorry to be impolite but the platitudes you keep dishing out are getting quite nauseating! You are clearly non technical and appear to work for the PR sweet talk team.  Just get us some technical feedback without all the thanks and good wishes. Thank you.
Rod and the cat
2016-2-17
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

China

rodAndTheCat Posted at 2016-2-17 19:41
DJI Adela, sorry to be impolite but the platitudes you keep dishing out are getting quite nauseati ...

I'm sorry, sir! I'm not meant to make you feel bad. What kind of technical feedback do you want to know? I'll try to do better in my power and in my service.
2016-2-17
Use props
rodAndTheCat
Second Officer

New Zealand

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-2-18 02:42
I'm sorry, sir! I'm not meant to make you feel bad. What kind of technical feedback do you want to ...

Hi Adela, maybe i,m being harsh, if so I,m sorry, but we don't need to be told to take care of our OSMO, we will all be doing that for sure!  It is references to SD cards and readers causing problems without further explanation that frustrates me.

I , and others would like to know whether dji are addressing these instability issues and especially loss of sound sync etc.  These are fundamental performance issues that need to be addressed.  You have updated us on the sound clicking ad that there will be a firmware update to fix it. That is excellent feedback ad lets us know whatyou are addressing. More of that please.
Thank you
Rod and the cat
2016-2-17
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

rodAndTheCat Posted at 2016-2-18 05:50
Hi Adela, maybe i,m being harsh, if so I,m sorry, but we don't need to be told to take care of our ...

Hi Rod,
Thanks for expressing your concerns. You’re clearly a knowledgeable user who is very familiar with DJI products. However, there are also lots of customers who are new to our products, and in their cases, some simple troubleshooting steps can help solve issues.  

We appreciated your suggestions and feedback, and we're always trying to address customer concerns. We'll do our best to interact with our users and let you know more as soon as we can. I'm sorry for your frustration, but thank you for your continued support and understanding!
2016-2-17
Use props
sunny051488
lvl.2
Flight distance : 183891 ft
United States

I have the exact same issue as well, i'm on the latest firmware as well. Not sure if i should wait or return it to best buy
2016-3-7
Use props
JD约翰先生
lvl.2

Sweden

sunny051488 Posted at 2016-3-8 07:32
I have the exact same issue as well, i'm on the latest firmware as well. Not sure if i should wait o ...

Right now I am working around it, because I love the Osmo and really believe in its potential despite its flaws. However, it has been a bit of a pain in the ass, and I really hope it can be solved soon.
2016-3-9
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

JD约翰先生 Posted at 2016-3-10 15:14
Right now I am working around it, because I love the Osmo and really believe in its potential desp ...

Thanks for your support to DJI Osmo. For any problem, we'll try to improve.
2016-3-10
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

JD约翰先生 Posted at 2016-3-10 15:14
Right now I am working around it, because I love the Osmo and really believe in its potential desp ...

Thanks for your support. For any problem, we'll try to improve.
2016-3-10
Use props
rodAndTheCat
Second Officer

New Zealand

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-3-11 16:56
Thanks for your support. For any problem, we'll try to improve.

that's the robot answering again!
Rod and the cat
2016-3-11
Use props
BIGDZ
First Officer
Flight distance : 10255860 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-12 06:43
Also, you've trie ...

Ken, So I guess we should all send in our OSmo because there is a bunch of people with these issues including myself. It's frustrating when all you say is to send it in.
2016-3-11
Use props
BIGDZ
First Officer
Flight distance : 10255860 ft
  • >>>
United States

Where is the new fw update to fix these issues DJI? It's crazy how you get on here and say the same things all the time. Really frustrating!!!!
2016-3-11
Use props
ari_za
lvl.2
Flight distance : 77300 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

And here I was about to pull the trigger on ordering a DJI OSMO.... Thank god I came and read the forums first!....
2016-3-11
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules