Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI, what is your Go app doing when I'm not using it?
3563 26 2016-2-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
spiderbot.sb
Second Officer
United States

Dear DJI,

Your Go app is constantly using megabytes of data on my 4G connection, EVEN WHEN IT IS NOT RUNNING.  In the last four days, Go has consumed over 18M of data and I NEVER OPENED THE APP.  I have a limited amount of data per month so I'd like to know, what the heck is Go accessing?  Can I turn it off or set it to only access the net with wifi?

DJI had better not be accessing my personal information!

Your help is greatly appreciated.

2016-2-12
Use props
LordNeo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 548212 ft
Chile

iOS or Android?
Do you close the app when not in use? In my last 5 days (not flying) my use is 0 (Android).
After every flight i always upload the flight log and close the app, as i don't use the video editor or anything else.
2016-2-12
Use props
snowsurferss
lvl.4

United States

I have to manually force stop the Go App after every use or it will keep running and drain my phones battery in no time, what a pain in the arse!
2016-2-12
Use props
microcyb
First Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

I suspect it is accessing the explore section with new pictures and videos by other DJI users.
2016-2-12
Use props
WetDog
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1131886 ft
United States

microcyb Posted at 2016-2-12 08:47
I suspect it is accessing the explore section with new pictures and videos by other DJI users.

On the Phantompilots.com site, there is a section devoted to an attempt to hack the P3 firmware.  Mostly this started as an attempt to bypass the ill designed Geofence system.  I kinda doubt they will get there - although I would love to see it happen - but there are some interesting points being brought up.

In particular, the DJI app is very, very chatty.  Both in use and out.  Unfortunately, the only way around that at present is to firewall the app.  This can be done in Android land but unless you jailbreak, not in Appleville.

If you are worried about the yappy app, check out those threads on particulars.
2016-2-12
Use props
spiderbot.sb
Second Officer
United States

Thanks, guys.

I am using an android phone but I also use an android tab with no phone access.  I've removed this dismal piece of software from my phone and will use the tab exclusively from now on.  I don't use the maps anyway.

Can't believe that a dedicated app, at this price point, actually contains advertising.  Then again, marketing ruins most products so I shouldn't be surprised.

A friend of mine just got a Chroma (yuneek, or whatever).  His videos are fantastic.  I think I might dump this P3P headache and get one of those.

Happy flying.
2016-2-12
Use props
Dr. Acula
lvl.3

I have no problem firewalling the app, but does that also keep it from loading satellite map images?  Or will viewing the area in Google Maps app before I run DJI Go cache the data?
2016-2-12
Use props
Username Here
lvl.4
United States

In the android go to the settings and open up the data usage.  Then find the DJI Go app and click on it. Once it's open check the box for "Restrict background data." I do this for most of my app's to keep them from running in the background and running up data.
2016-2-12
Use props
Regina_mike
lvl.1
Flight distance : 17844 ft
Canada

I have not flown my P3S in three weeks, yet my android version shows 187 Megs transferred in the past 2 weeks.   That seems excessive.    I too would like an answer as to what is being sent or downloaded
2016-2-12
Use props
jonnied2010
lvl.4

United States

spiderbot.sb Posted at 2016-2-12 13:21
Thanks, guys.

I am using an android phone but I also use an android tab with no phone access.  I've ...

I will trade you my like new P2 Vision 2+ V3 straight across.
2016-2-12
Use props
Dr. Acula
lvl.3

Remember in Android there are two ways to get out of an app.  Hitting the Home button doesn't end the app you were in, it leaves it running in the background.  While in the app you have to keep hitting the Android Back button and reach the desktop that way to completely end the app, otherwise it keeps running in the background.

I always end the GO app with my Back button and haven't seen any CPU or data usage going on.

2016-2-12
Use props
rskardon
lvl.1

United States

Zero usage from mine on Apple iOS, I have disable 'Background App Refresh' on my phone though
2016-2-12
Use props
solsystem7
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6550331 ft
  • >>>
United States

This was posted about a month ago concerning what the GO App is doing when connected to the internet:

Ever wonder what your GO app really connects to on the Internet when you run it? One user used Wireshark to find out using the GO iOS app (2.5.1). With the coming GEO fencing implementation, this is worth a read.

He installed a device firewall to block all unnecessary communication between the GO app and the outside world and has flown 10 flights so far with no issues and full access to the maps. (Note you need to Jailbreak your device to install a firewall app (i.e. from Cydia like Firewall IP) that filters all app traffic to do this.)

These are all the connections the app tries to make (outside of those you need for maps).

•mydjiflight.dji.com

•newrelic.com - app analytics

•djistatic.com

•flurry.com - Mobile analytics company

•conf.international.baidu.com

•baidu.com

•qbox.me (via qbox.wscdns.com)

•upgrade.dj2006.net

•pingma.qq.com

•u.dji.com

•acbe.aasky.net -type this one in a browser for a nice scare.

•tpns.qq.com

•dds.dji.com

•pilotv2.djivideos.com

•active.dji.com

•m.dji.com

•djicdn.com

www.skypixel.com

•djiexplore.com

•flysafe-api.dji.com

2016-2-12
Use props
Dr. Acula
lvl.3

United States

Not sure about acbe.aasky.net being scary, if you go to www.aasky.net it is just another skypixel site.
2016-2-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

How did you read sky pixel on there?
Copy and paste the addy into your browser, and show me skypixel...

RedHotPoker
2016-2-12
Use props
Sliquid
lvl.3
Flight distance : 332001 ft
United States

I had also noticed the app will be running in the bg on my Note 4, so being a root user, I removed every single unneeded permission from the app. now it only runs when I want it to.
2016-2-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Cool.
I copied and pasted the Chinese words on that aasky website, in my post above, and it was blocked.
Everything I stated above, is there now, once I removed the Chinese words. Skypixel you say? Hahaha

RedHotPoker
2016-2-12
Use props
Hotolds442
lvl.4
Flight distance : 244751 ft
United States

Go to google and type "Chinese translator"
Insert the characters from the top of the acbe.aasky.net website.
The translation is: Remote control aircraft system security monitoring

What exactly that does is anyone's guess. My first thought judging by the graphic on the page is that they may have a way to take control of your drone, or identify it if it becomes a security risk in someone's eyes. Hell maybe they just use it to crash your drone for you so you'll buy more parts.....
2016-2-13
Use props
Old Geezer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23691 ft
United Kingdom

solsystem7@gmai Posted at 2016-2-12 23:49
This was posted about a month ago concerning what the GO App is doing when connected to the internet ...

Is there such a thing as a "nice scare"?

Oh wait - Halle Berry, Gwyneth Paltrow, and Gillian Anderson climbing naked into my bed while I'm having a horny dream - THAT would be a "nice scare"!  
2016-2-13
Use props
Northofthe49th
Captain

Canada

Hotolds442 Posted at 2016-2-13 16:08
Go to google and type "Chinese translator"
Insert the characters from the top of the acbe.aasky.net  ...

They have already proven they could ground virtually every DJI Phantom 3 drone with their GeoFence Fubar (which i still believe was intentional! and done just to prove a point, now nearly forgotten!),
So what would make you think they could not do that..As long as that ap is running on your device, they know exactly where you are and where you have been...
2016-2-13
Use props
gustofusion
lvl.4
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-2-12 23:28
Copy and paste the addy into your browser, and show me skypixel ...

Untitled-1e.jpg
2016-2-13
Use props
mcphipps900
lvl.4

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-2-13 12:28
Copy and paste the addy into your browser, and show me skypixel ...

All I get is some writing. Looks like someone shot a paintball gun at the wall. I think it's Chinese.
"I don't know what it says, it's all Greek to me. I mean Chinese."
2016-2-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Yeah,  me too... Nothing but.

RedHotPoker

2016-2-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Multiple post...

RedHotPoker

2016-2-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Double your pleasure, triple your fun...

RedHotPoker

2016-2-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Just As I already said, use the whole address & not the last part.

RedHotPoker

2016-2-13
Use props
Dr. Acula
lvl.3

United States

I agree that acbe.aasky.net is Chinese characters.  The drone is made in China though so it shouldn't be too surprising.

www.aasky.net is Skypixel, so since they are both using the aasky.net domain I would assume both are related to Skypixel.

2016-2-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules