You can laugh if you want ....
2228 9 2014-9-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TimmyG94
lvl.1

United States

I bought my Vision+ in July and decided to also purchase a Flytrex Live and an LED headlight for it.

Obviously needing battery power for these devices, I had to solder some "pigtails" to the +/- battery leads on the mainboard.  I'm not an experienced solderer, and the rosin-core solder wasn't flowing very well and I was sort of not paying attention and the 30-watt iron burned into the insulation of the battery leads (see yellow arrow in photo).  I got quickly frustrated and decided to instead try "conductive wire glue" I've seen in Radio Shack and it cost about $5 for a small tube.

Amazingly, this stuff works good!  I've had a couple "semi-hard" crashes into trees and rooftops in the last couple months and these glued connections are still working fine, and my Flytrex Live and LED headlight are always powered on when I start the battery.  I'm tempted to peel off the WiFi Radio and tug at the pigtails to see if they are still firmly glued to those solder beads but I think I will just leave well enough alone.

I realize soldering is the BEST solution in a situation like this, but I wasn't willing to keep hacking away and burning every electrical component in sight to make it happen.  I am now a solid believer in this conductive wire glue (made of graphite) and you should give it consideration if you arent a highly-experienced soldering wizard.  I used a small paintbrush to apply it onto the existing solder bead since it's sort of gooey and needs to be spread properly over the wire connection.  It takes about 24 hrs. to fully cure.

Use some for your next Phantom wiring project and you will become a believer like me!  
Battery leads #1.jpg
Battery leads #2.jpg
2014-9-26
Use props
T J Gilbert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 74659 ft
United States

I did some checking...
From the web:
"Wire Glue" Conductive Glue

Using the latest advances in microcarbon technology, this glue actually conducts electricity.
    Lead free.
    For both AC and DC low voltage circuits. (There is no known voltage limitation and "Wire Glue" has been used for 20,000 volts DC without problems. BUT there is the issue of a potential hazard if a wire breaks off due to Wire Glue connections being brittle. Please keep safety in mind when you glue.)
    Drying Time: To touch: 2 hours; Through: 12 to 48 hours (Depending upon temperature, relative humidity coating thickness, and substrate).
    Density: 0.6 grams per cubic centimeter.
    Application Temperature Range: 40°F (4°C) to 110°F (43°C)
    Service Temperature Range: 0°F (-17.8°C) to 180°F (82.2°C) constant; -20°F (-29°C ) to 200°F (93°C) intermittent
    Wet Flammability Information: No flash to boiling (212°F) closed cup.
    Conductivity: 13.16 Ohms per cubic centimeter.
    Net Wt.: 0.3 fl oz of Wire Glue.

Maybe acceptable in the right applications.
The "brittle" comment worries me a little.
One comment was it's more like liquid paper than glue.
FWIW a standard integrity test for a solder bond is to tug on it.
Will this product offer that type integrity?

And I'm not laughing...
Just concerned.
2014-9-26
Use props
hd_ultra
lvl.3

United States

Wholly cow that story is funny. Yes solder is the best way to go LMAO.
Buy I hope it holds up. You know you don't want to hear the song (BOOM BOOM OUT GO THE LIGHTS)
That tracker is a awesome.
2014-9-26
Use props
TimmyG94
lvl.1

United States

T J Gilbert Posted at 2014-9-27 03:33
I did some checking...
From the web:
"Wire Glue" Conductive Glue

I can understand your concerns about the connection being brittle.  I guess it really boils down to what level of brittle is it able to tolerate before breaking?  If someone who knows a lot about this glue tells me it takes a greater than a 300G impact to cause the connection to break, then I'm fine with that since a 300G impact would likely turn my Phantom into 1,000 unrecognizable little pieces anyway and then the glue connection is moot.   

At this point, I'm going to just keep flying normally until I notice the Flytrex Live or LED headlight stop working.  If  that happens without any crashes or impacts, then I will know the glue is very brittle and not suited for the normal flying stresses of the Phantom (wind buffeting, sudden turns, etc).
2014-9-26
Use props
TimmyG94
lvl.1

United States

hd_ultra@msn.co Posted at 2014-9-27 03:40
Wholly cow that story is funny. Yes solder is the best way to go LMAO.
Buy I hope it holds up. Th ...

Well the Flytrex Live is not without it's problems!

But I will save my complaints about it for a different discussion board.  
2014-9-26
Use props
hd_ultra
lvl.3

United States

Hey Timmy when you get some flights with that, Please share..
2014-9-26
Use props
TimmyG94
lvl.1

United States

hd_ultra@msn.co Posted at 2014-9-27 03:45
Hey Timmy when you get some flights with that, Please share..

With the Flytrex Live?  I got some flight missions logged with it already, but I've been adding Dashware gauges to really pizzazz the videos so you can see airspeed, altitude, etc during the flight.  I must admit when it works properly, it's a really cool device.  However, there are enough bugs with it that I can't entirely endorse it at this time.  One of it's major flaws it that it uses a 2G modem which is bad because most U.S. carriers are phasing out 2G by 2015.  Another drawback is that there can be substantial lag time when doing a "Live Flight" --- which means you track your bird in real-time as a moving red dot on Google Maps satellite view.  This makes for an awesome way to keep yourself oriented on a map when flying long-range flights, but the lag time makes it frustrating to know where it is at any given second.
2014-9-26
Use props
hd_ultra
lvl.3

United States

Do you have anything on youtube for us to see?
2014-9-26
Use props
TimmyG94
lvl.1

United States

hd_ultra@msn.co Posted at 2014-9-27 04:14
Do you have anything on youtube for us to see?

Nothing uploaded yet, but I'm flying a couple missions this weekend (gorgeous weather here in the Northeast) so I will post some soon!

I'll make sure to add some Dashware gauges since that really makes the Flytrex data come alive on the video.

2014-9-26
Use props
hd_ultra
lvl.3

United States

That would be awesome to see.
2014-9-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules