ALERT! -Copper Foldable Antenna Range Booster
12Next >
10212 45 2016-2-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

I posted a related thread in regards to my inspire 1 acting up and losing signal. At first I thought it was the USB going bad, the iPad Air II having an issue and or unknown. After doing a test this afternoon I am certain I have found the issue.

Here goes...

I purchased a set of Copper Foldable Antenna Range Booster's and prior to installing on the remote, I have never had an issue wtih the inspire 1, NEVER... When I started having the loss of signal and issues I had just installed the Copper Antenna.

Today, I removed the Copper Antenna and WOW, not a single problem, no issues what-so-ever! Took flight with 2 seperate batteries. All is good. Put another battery in, hooked the Copper Antenna back on to the remote and same issues again, loss signal, iPad Air II screen glitching like an old tv station in the late 70's going off air.

Has anyone ever had this issue? Maybe it's just me. But for the life of me, I thought this was suppose to help with range and not interferance. I wanted to share my experience in the event someone has had a simular incident.

I will not install them again nor would I recommend them. I will contact the seller to let him/her know as well. Very Stange to say the least!

1_8_1.jpg
2016-2-14
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

SS

Sorry it looks like you got one that doesn't work.

I bought mine from a great source. This sucker is metal and unbelievable quallity

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-Parabolic-Antenna-Range-Booster-fr-DJI-Phantom-3-Inspire-1-Windsurfer-/311520810444?hash=item48881655cc:g:fbYAAOSwd0BV6Vof

Awesome product and includes a ccase

IMG_6855.JPG

Rich
2016-2-14
Use props
Harb
lvl.3

Australia

Sadly, there is a lot of Maths in antenna design, and to design a reflector like these devices requires a firm knowledge of RF principals........ some of these I have seen on Ebay would be as good as operating your drone while sitting in a tin garbage bin lid........ and in fact as you have demonstrated actually reduce the range of the controller.......
2016-2-14
Use props
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

I'll contact the seller. Doubt they will refund me. But I could use some practice with my Scar 17.   I'm just glad I figured this out without a problem. For a moment I thought something was wrong with the controller or other.
2016-2-14
Use props
Harb
lvl.3

Australia

Sir Shepherd Posted at 2016-2-15 14:11
I'll contact the seller. Doubt they will refund me. But I could use some practice with my Scar 17.   ...

Yeah the best way to go, but it does void your warranty, is to replace the existing antennas with higher gain Omni directional ones or a well designed Panel Antenna....
2016-2-14
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Shepherd, Rich, as i see the on a pictures you've posted your range extenders are pointing different ways, since i never used one, i'd like to ask if this can influence the signal quality
2016-2-14
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 692090 ft
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-2-14 19:48
SS

I think you got them on backwards???
2016-2-14
Use props
Harb
lvl.3

Australia

The reflectors are supposed to be on the opposite side of the antenna to the bird you are controlling
for info, do a search for "corner or parabolic reflector" on the net.....it will give you the basic idea

Screen Shot 2016-02-15 at 2.40.39 PM.png
2016-2-14
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

LICENSED PILOT Posted at 2016-2-14 19:26

Yes, I put them on upside-down for the photo and did not explain this... SORRY guys.

My bad, I was trying to get a photo showing the metal Parabolic shape of the antenna. If you watch the video by the guy that makes these, you will see the shape allows the signal to be always centered getting the best possible power from the stock antenna.

Rich

2016-2-14
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-2-14 19:22
Shepherd, Rich, as i see the on a pictures you've posted your range extenders are pointing different ...

Yup you are right, I have them upside-down in my photo....   they just slip down over the antenna blade  and pull off the same way.

sorry for the confusion that I caused

Rich
2016-2-14
Use props
americanrawlins
lvl.2

United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-2-14 20:50
Yup you are right, I have them upside-down in my photo....   they just slip down over the antenna  ...

Hahahaha Rich I knew what you meant. I just bought the also but silver.... Hope I don't have an issue
2016-2-14
Use props
Harb
lvl.3

Australia

Soon as I Get some time.....lord only knows.....but I will do some field strength tests to see which ones perform the best.....cant beat RF tests to see who is who lol
2016-2-14
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

americanrawlins Posted at 2016-2-14 21:02
Hahahaha Rich I knew what you meant. I just bought the also but silver.... Hope I don't have an is ...

The link I provided is for the ones I have and pretty darn happy with them

IMO  the most important things are that they are correctly made parabolic and once piece metal shape..

Rich
2016-2-14
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-2-15 12:47
Yes, I put them on upside-down for the photo and did not explain this... SORRY guys.

My bad, I wa ...

So with the range extender it becomes kind of directional antenna and flying behind your back probably rises the chances to lose the signal... Anyway i guess nobody flies behind their back that much
2016-2-14
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 692090 ft
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-2-14 21:47

My bad, I wa ...

Can't get away with nothing here, He he. I have a set of reflectors already, but I like yours better. I'm ordering yours today. Thanks for sharing.
2016-2-15
Use props
Machoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1036959 ft
Austria

There are already many threads about them (not the copper colour) in the forum for most they work fine. I never got a signal loss with it even flying directly above which is theoretically not recommended.

I think the "copper" is the problem its sure no real copper the material or the fictious colour will make it fail. If you paid with paypal just open a case for a refund.
2016-2-15
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-2-14 22:27
So with the range extender it becomes kind of directional antenna and flying behind your back prob ...

Tim

You are a funny guy   If you had the antennas installed like my picture you could fly behind you!

I try to keep the radio pointing the correct direction of my Inspire 1 when using these. I haven't had any trouble at all.  But keep in mind that I do not use them a lot....  but come will in handy when I go the ocean.

Rich

2016-2-15
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

LICENSED PILOT Posted at 2016-2-15 08:30
Can't get away with nothing here, He he. I have a set of reflectors already, but I like yours bett ...

Yah, everybody is a critic   Glad to have helped you out....... and you not be disappointed with these!  He really does a nice job on the fit and finish.

Rich
2016-2-15
Use props
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

LICENSED PILOT Posted at 2016-2-14 21:26

Hummmm backwards ? To be honest I'm not certain. There were no instructions in the box. I just slipped them on. Hummm...
2016-2-15
Use props
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

Machoman Posted at 2016-2-15 13:20
There are already many threads about them (not the copper colour) in the forum for most they work fi ...

Thanks I appreciate the input. I'll contact the seller first. Maybe he/she will change them out. Dangerous on my inspire 1 for certain.
2016-2-15
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-2-16 08:43
Flying behind me???

Yeah... I do it all the time but I discovered this amazing trick which allows ...

turn around That is genius solution...
2016-2-15
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-2-15 16:47
They go on the opposite way round to the way they are shown in Rich's photo.

But... There are all  ...

Paul,
I am sure this could be debated and this is only meant as a reflector not a booster. It simply reflects the optimal radio signal from the antennas to focus them in one direction.  doubt if the output transistors are going to get hot because of the reflector dish slid onto the plastic antenna..

I fly only line of sight and this is an extra measure of control while I am flying near water. Most likely do not need it.

Rich

sorry if I am missing something here
2016-2-15
Use props
Harb
lvl.3

Australia

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-2-16 18:32
Agreed. The argument is that the reflectors concentrate more power forward, thus increasing the si ...

When did that ever stop anyone....lololol
2016-2-16
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-2-14 21:48
SS

I have the exact same one, it came with a nice black case. From the spot I normally test fly it gives me about another 1200 feet, well worth 29 dollars I paid for it.
2016-2-16
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-2-14 21:48
SS

Out in the open with the boosters I went up 300 ft and straight out 12 thousand feet with no signal loss at all. I turned around because I started getting nervous.
2016-2-16
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-2-15 23:32
Agreed. The argument is that the reflectors concentrate more power forward, thus increasing the si ...

I am in perfect agreement with you Paul and I would not want to jeopardize any FCC regulations in the US. I really want to keep from having any problems over the ocean when flying in harms way.

This is good stuff  

Rich  
2016-2-16
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2016-2-16 01:17
I have the exact same one, it came with a nice black case. From the spot I normally test fly it gi ...

Yup, nice product and totally agree with you. I would purchase this product again if given the chance

Thanks for commenting so other's can benefit from your experience !!

That's pretty nice range increase, I am assuming you have your antennas facing the correct way right  

Rich
2016-2-16
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-2-16 03:24
I think you're allowed a little more output than we are in the UK.

Paul..

Hey Paul

You noticed I am up early getting ready for my procedure.

I will know in about 5 hours if I get to remain with the healthy folks

PS, I have not been back to your other site. I hope too soon, been feeling pretty badly these past few days.

But I got to fly my P3P and Inspire 1 this last weekend.... bother were flying great. I even brought the throttle stick down to the lowest point on the P3P from a 400 foot descent no problems with the motors dying... not that I was worried

Rich
2016-2-16
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-2-16 03:39
I hope they don't incarcerate you. If they do - make sure you have something with Internet access  ...

Thanks Man,  I will bring my Surface tablet and my glasses

Rich
2016-2-16
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Just keep in Mind these are meant for long range flight.  I have  a similar windsurfer and place it on the transmitter when the aircraft is  at about 500 feet distance horizontal and then remove them upon return at same distance. ( The slide on/off in a Jiffy )  They will DEFINITELY  reduce your range especially overhead or in close proximity to the aircraft.  Use my suggestion and I bet you have no problems.  I picked up about 2,000 extra feet of distance. My record is now 13,000 plus feet with line of sight in an open area.  
***YOU did not have yours installed backwards did you.......... this would cause exactly the problems you are experiencing. Espescially with the I-pad.

cheers -donnie
2016-2-16
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I wanted to put the correct photos on this thread for the record. PS my inspire 1 is in the background

IMG_6859.JPG IMG_6860.JPG

Rich

2016-2-17
Use props
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-2-17 19:44
I wanted to put the correct photos on this thread for the record. PS my inspire 1 is in the backgrou ...

She sure is pretty.   She's inspiring. Hey Rich
2016-2-17
Use props
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-2-17 19:44
I wanted to put the correct photos on this thread for the record. PS my inspire 1 is in the backgrou ...

She sure is pretty.   She's inspiring. Hey Rich
2016-2-17
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Sir Shepherd Posted at 2016-2-17 20:46
She sure is pretty.   She's inspiring.  Hey Rich

they are kinda like race cars, they look cool even when they are not flying.

thanks

Rich
2016-2-17
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Sir Shepherd Posted at 2016-2-17 20:46
She sure is pretty.   She's inspiring.  Hey Rich

thanks

Rich
2016-2-17
Use props
Timsters
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1762359 ft
United States

i have gone 16500ft stock just sayin.....
2016-2-17
Use props
visionrouge.net
lvl.4
United States

Timsters Posted at 2016-2-18 00:08
i have gone 16500ft stock just sayin.....

I confirm that mine are also a great improvement on the distance before losing the signal. it's 3 d printed as show in this picture.
Each antenna is actually double sided with both 2.4 and 5.8 ghz, so you are actually using half for the vido feed, half for the control of the aircraft.
More details can be found here:
http://www.visionrouge.net/web/2 ... ire-one-year-after/

3D-printed-antenna-booster-dji-inspire-architecture-photo-en-chine.jpg
2016-2-18
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-2-18 00:05

Sometimes when I go out to fly I turn around and go back inside, my wife doesn't understand but I like looking at my inspire as much as I do flying and I don't want today to be the day I crash.
2016-2-18
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2016-2-18 05:09
Sometimes when I go out to fly I turn around and go back inside, my wife doesn't understand but I  ...

You are right... but  love flying this machine !!  Buy a back up while they are on sale  

Rich
2016-2-18
Use props
Coigreach
lvl.4
Flight distance : 546014 ft
Australia

Donnie Posted at 2016-2-16 09:36
Just keep in Mind these are meant for long range flight.  I have  a similar windsurfer and place it on the transmitter when the aircraft is  at about 500 feet distance horizontal and then remove them upon return at same distance. ( The slide on/off in a Jiffy )  They will DEFINITELY  reduce your range especially overhead or in close proximity to the aircraft.  Use my suggestion and I bet you have no problems.  I picked up about 2,000 extra feet of distance. My record is now 13,000 plus feet with line of sight in an open area.  
***YOU did not have yours installed backwards did you.......... this would cause exactly the problems you are experiencing. Espescially with the I-pad.

You can tell I'm bored Donnie I'm not looking a posts from last year....If you put them on upside down like Rich's first picture you can then fly straight up errrrrrr..... (stopping at 400 feet of course)!!!
Karl
2017-3-13
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules