My initial experience with new Inspire 1
5347 35 2015-1-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MTShipp
lvl.2

United States

Here is my experience in unboxing and setting up the craft. Your mileage may vary.

• Opened box unpacked all items
  • Checked battery power status, it was at 67%
  • Check remote power status, it was at 49% so I charged it a few minutes.
  • Connected remote to iPad and started application, answered a few questions it asked, registered unit, then powered on remote
  • Powered on craft
  • Immediately received warning in app that firmware was out of date
  • Downloaded 1.2.0.14 and extracted to the micro SD and installed into camera
  • Tried to get craft out of travel mode so I could install the gimbal (to load firmware).
  • Would not transform using 4-switch movement of remote. Tried through app, same, no transform.
  • Ended up manually lifting craft, placing it straddling the case and box so I could install gimbal while in travel mode.
  • Booted and app detected firmware on SD. I began update.
  • After 15 minutes, the firmware "beeped" completed and app said craft was rebooting. It did.
  • Powered off craft, removed SD and plugged into my Macbook to check update status. Text file showed "canceled" instead of "success".
  • Contacted online support. Within 5 minutes someone was chatting with me. Had me delete the text file and power on again. This time it powered on but did not detect a new firmware.
  • Unit now would tranform in and out of travel mode both in app and with remote.
  • I powered off, disconnected gimbal and connected to the remote to update its firmware. Powered on, nothing.
  • So I copied the FW to a standard USB and plugged it in. It then detected and updated the firmware in less than 5 mins on the remote. Green light showed success.
  • Powered on the app, remote, and craft. I started the simulator, and all started working.
  • Left props off and started motors out of sim to make sure they powered on. Success.

Now, it is too dark where I live to go outside and fly. So, tomorrow can not come too soon!

2015-1-5
Use props
mhaislet
lvl.4

United States

check list complete !! have a good flight!
2015-1-5
Use props
ETDroneHome
lvl.2

United States

Same exact experience MT.  Been discussing this over at RCGroups.  Seems that according to DJI the iOS version of the app hasn't officially been released yet.  I have the v0.9 installed from the QR code.

Everything "appears" to be okay within the app.  Did the prop-less motor test too.  Seems like it should be able to fly, but not sure I want to take any chances without the official app being released.  I don't like that the firmware log said "Canceled" instead of "Successful."

If the app isn't out by tomorrow and you decide to fly anyway, be sure to report back.
2015-1-5
Use props
mark
lvl.2

United States

i went through the same thing.  they told me if the craft did not update it would not be possible to fly it.
2015-1-5
Use props
ETDroneHome
lvl.2

United States

I guess that makes sense IF their failsafe is working as intended.
2015-1-5
Use props
ultraturtle
lvl.2

United States

Similar experience except I could not get the IOS app online as it repeatedly rejected my aircraft registration number.

No problem getting the aircraft out of travel mode with 4 rapid cycles of the transition lever.

Fired up my Android phone, which loaded the app no problem.  Firmware update was problem free.  

Flew it indoors for about a second just to make sure everything works.  Can't wait to take it outside tomorrow!
2015-1-5
Use props
mark
lvl.2

United States

get the new firmware! it was released today and updates fine.
2015-1-5
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hello people. Let"s sit back. relax and let DJI do their thing. it is all new and they cannot anticipate everything for all of the individual users. At least you have a bird to fly while the rest of us wait. All good things take time!
2015-1-5
Use props
svencool
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6690 ft
United States

rodger Posted at 2015-1-6 10:59
Hello people. Let"s sit back. relax and let DJI do their thing. it is all new and they cannot antici ...

My dad use to tell me good things come to those who wait!!!! Never said I liked what he said lol....... But he was more right than he was wrong!!!!
2015-1-5
Use props
mhervey
lvl.2
Flight distance : 324843 ft
United States

Figured it out... with a little help from online support!

I had the same experience trying to get out of travel mode.  Finally I discovered that you can exit travel mode from within the settings.  Now I'm struggling to take the cap off the Inspire just to mount the gimbal!  It's not very clear, and I don't want to force anything in fear of breaking something!  Help!
2015-1-5
Use props
ETDroneHome
lvl.2

United States

Hint: twist it.
2015-1-5
Use props
ETDroneHome
lvl.2

United States

mark@joytel.net Posted at 2015-1-6 10:11
get the new firmware! it was released today and updates fine.

Was using the latest v1.2.0.14.

It seems that if something had really gone wrong updating the firmware, then the app wouldn't arm the drone as a failsafe.  So seems that I should be good to go after.

I also installed the app on my Galaxy Note 3 phone and it didn't ask me to update the firmware.  Looked fine.
2015-1-5
Use props
mhervey
lvl.2
United States

Thanks for the hint!  I've come a long way since I unpacked my Inspire 1 (first drone EVER).  I managed to install the gimbal, update the firmware on the aircraft, remote and camera, and even take my first flight!  Granted, it was for only about 10 seconds hovering about 3 feet off the ground in my sunroom!  All I can say is WOW.  This thing is awesome!  I can't wait to get it in the open air... too bad it's 9 degrees F outside with snow on the ground!
2015-1-5
Use props
rwt0227
lvl.2

United States

mhervey Posted at 2015-1-6 13:26
Thanks for the hint!  I've come a long way since I unpacked my Inspire 1 (first drone EVER).  I ma ...

Are you in Michigan?  LOL!
2015-1-5
Use props
abe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 524032 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had a similar experience (iOS user). The directions suggest you upgrade the aircraft first, and then the remote controller. After finally understanding the error message I was getting, I realized it was telling me to upgrade the remote controller first. Once I did that (via USB stick) the aircraft upgraded properly,
2015-1-5
Use props
admin
lvl.1

United States

Test Footage and First Flight
http://youtu.be/Hfv_zMnGGLA
2015-1-5
Use props
mhaislet
lvl.4

United States

Nice footage in sub par lighting!
Thing looks wicked too!
2015-1-5
Use props
jamesnns
lvl.3

United States

admin@cheapdron Posted at 2015-1-6 15:27

Wow.....I wish I had the $ to get one..well $ my wife wouldnt go ballistic over...

VERY close to those power lines...gutsy....
2015-1-6
Use props
travissrt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 68555177 ft
  • >>>
United States

MTShipp, looks like we have awesome weather here in Raleigh area today.  Mine came this morning, did the update and now waiting on my batteries to charge for maiden flight.  shoot me an email if you are flying anywhere in Raleigh flyboyaerial@gmail.com  I may go to DDH campus flying field later this afternoon.
2015-1-6
Use props
Blade_Strike
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872694 ft
  • >>>
United States

The inspire in one hell of a craft.. you guys wont be disappointed once you receive yours..
2015-1-6
Use props
patou72
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3316614 ft
Switzerland

mhervey Posted at 2015-1-6 11:33
I had the same experience trying to get out of travel mode.  Finally I discovered that you can exit  ...

Turn the Gimbal lock.....(it' locked Luke the gimbal)
2015-1-6
Use props
pete1144
lvl.3

United States

Thanks for the hint!  I've come a long way since I unpacked my Inspire 1 (first drone EVER).  I ma ...

10 seconds is enough the first time. Continue on this cautious path and you'll have your craft long enough to enjoy it.
2015-1-6
Use props
pete1144
lvl.3

United States

admin@cheapdron Posted at 2015-1-6 15:27

Nice flight. You have more guts than I do for a maiden flight. Just curious...is that a restaurant or office...or a residence? Nice design.
2015-1-6
Use props
armyturtle
lvl.1

United States

Whoever was filming your Inspire flying has VVShttp://goo.gl/GuCeI
2015-1-6
Use props
rbendjebar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3170190 ft
  • >>>
United States

armyturtle Posted at 2015-1-7 14:31
Whoever was filming your Inspire flying has VVShttp://goo.gl/GuCeI

LMAO GREAT VVVIDEO!!
2015-1-6
Use props
PatelB
lvl.1

United States

Hey. I am looking into buying the Inspire 1, but it will also be my first drone ever. Do you suggest buying this 3k machine for a first timer?
2015-1-7
Use props
T J Gilbert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 74659 ft
United States

PatelB Posted at 2015-1-8 03:43
Hey. I am looking into buying the Inspire 1, but it will also be my first drone ever. Do you sugge ...

I would not recommend it.
Pilots that have flown the I1 say that it's a little sensitive to control inputs.
It's also loaded with power.
If you've got $3000 to spend, you should be able to afford a Phantom to train with prior to risking the I1 investment.
2015-1-7
Use props
PatelB
lvl.1

United States

T J Gilbert Posted at 2015-1-8 03:57
I would not recommend it.
Pilots that have flown the I1 say that it's a little sensitive to contro ...

I have taken all into consideration. I was just surprised to see another rookie starting with the Inspire so I wanted to get his insight. Based on that I will make my decision. Thank for the input!
2015-1-7
Use props
T J Gilbert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 74659 ft
United States

Nothing stops a rookie from starting out with an Inspire1.
Just be careful, and proceed slowly.
The I1 is a complicated aircraft.
Practice makes perfect.
Gravity and the ground won't cut a rookie any slack...
And our old friend, the wind, does not either...
2015-1-7
Use props
matt
lvl.1

United States

Go for it!   No point in wasting 800 on a phantom to only want to upgrade to an inspire down the road.
2015-1-7
Use props
PatelB
lvl.1

United States

Just ordered the drone from Amazon!  
2015-1-7
Use props
mhervey
lvl.2
United States

PatelB Posted at 2015-1-8 05:11
Just ordered the drone from Amazon!

Great decision... you won't regret it!  

I didn't think I could offer much to the forum as a rookie with zero drone experience, so I'm glad to hear that my inexperience has helped someone!  The way I look at it, this high-end drone has so much more technology built into it, it makes it much easier to fly over other "cheaper" drones.  Knowing that I could just release the sticks if things started to go bad, and have the drone almost immediately stop in mid flight and hover in place, allowing you to gather your bearings, etc... that to me was priceless.  

I can tell you that I was EXTREMELY nervous when I first fired it up within the limited confines of my sunroom (I just couldn't wait for the weather to break), you can imagine how nerve racking it was as I started increasing the throttle... only to find this thing gently rise and hover beautifully!  The drone would create quite some air currents in the room, and it was interesting to see how the Inspire 1 worked to keep itself steady.  

After 2 days, I have graduated from hovering and am now "flying" it in the sunroom, but only side to side (with drone facing forward), and even doing some pirouettes!  Baby steps...

Best of luck and let us know how it goes once you get it!
2015-1-7
Use props
markkinley
lvl.4

United States

Good footage and Enjoy!
2015-1-7
Use props
PatelB
lvl.1

United States

mhervey Posted at 2015-1-8 08:39
Great decision... you won't regret it!  

I didn't think I could offer much to the forum as a rook ...

Thank you for the feedback! I will keep you posted!
2015-1-7
Use props
Obxguy2015
New

United States

travissrt@gmail Posted at 2015-1-7 00:18
MTShipp, looks like we have awesome weather here in Raleigh area today.  Mine came this morning, did ...

Travissrt, did you order online or order through local dealer? I am down in Sanford. Got the $$ saved up to place an order but was wanting to wait about another couple of weeks.
2015-1-7
Use props
Drone Down Unde
lvl.4

Australia

Some ppl say NOT too get the Inspire as it's "Not for fisrt time users or Rookies " But i too will be a Rookie in the feild of Drones but Not of flying craft.
I had the choice to purchace a new PC with the bells and whistles but thought in a couple of weeks it'll be obsolete and well Boring
So when my misses (Yes the misses) agreed SHOCK HORROR! I imediatly ordered mine!
By watching others posts and vid's it looks like it's going to be awesome and very customisable so that even I will be able to learn easily.

2015-1-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules