Flying Altitudes
2290 6 2015-1-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Drone Down Unde
lvl.4

Australia

Hopefully not sounding stupid But I was wondering when it comes to the flying altitudes what ever it is around the world

Is it set from Sea level or from the atitude the pilot is at on the ground?
If someone lives up in a mountainous erea already above the limit and well above sea level (if it's set by sea level) and fly's their drone too the *limit*
400ft what ever it is...
Would'nt they be breaking the law?..Compared to some one standing and flying at a far lower altitude who fly's the drone too their limit Or would they have to fly it elsewhere to be under the limit.... ?

I know sounds silly but there's so many stupid laws in place today about everything its better too be safe than sorry.

2015-1-6
Use props
Koavog
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1359800 ft
United States

The altitude a pilot flies in his aircraft is above sea level (QNH), which is the altitude he reads from his altimeter. The altitude the FAA refers to is above ground level (QFE) or AGL. The telemetry from the Inspire is based on GPS and is AGL.
2015-1-6
Use props
Drone Down Unde
lvl.4

Australia

Koavog Posted at 2015-1-6 21:13
The altitude a pilot flies in his aircraft is above sea level (QNH), which is the altitude he reads  ...

Cheers
2015-1-6
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

It is above ground level. A GPS calculates from above sea level. The Drone calculates from that level, ground level. Let's put it this way. You are at 350 feet above sea level according to the GPS. The logic in the quad sees the 350 feet above sea level. if the height is set at 400 feet it adds that to the 350 making it a total of 750 feet above sea level. The height that you see in the Pilot program display is the height above ground at the point where you are. Also the Inspire has a sonar device on the bottom, this is new and I am not that familiar with it yet.    it also determines the height above an object. This is what lets the Inspire fly indoors without a GP S Signal.
2015-1-6
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

The optical flow device is only for use at 2.5m and below.  There is an icon on the screen of the app that shows if it is active or not.
2015-1-6
Use props
pabbamonto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

I do not think the altitude readings are close at all.  Mine often says it is at 40 feet and it is just 3 or 4 feet above my head.  I am tall but not that tall.  I like to use my P2V+ for low altitude filming at sea level and if I trusted the system it would be are the bottom of the ocean.  Using Ground Station I set it at 40 feet one time and send it on it's way over the water in the harbor.  Within 1 minute of flight it was nearly in the water and the altitude showed 40 feet.  I took control and saved it from a salty watery grave.  I never look at the altitude on the screen any more.  It is usually way off.
2015-1-8
Use props
hito
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1312520 ft
United States

rodger Posted at 2015-1-6 22:23
It is above ground level. A GPS calculates from above sea level. The Drone calculates from that leve ...

I suppose (hope) with saying "at the point where you are" you mean the home point and not the actual position of the Drone. If it would calculate the height with the actual position of the Drone you could run into problems if you start from a higher position and fly over some kind of drop.
2015-1-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules