Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
USA-Georgia "Drone" Legislation (ya gotta be kidding me!)
7041 12 2016-2-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SixtyMike
lvl.3
United States

Well, I thought Georgia would be one of the last places I'd see something like this.  

Georgia HB 779
Crimes and offenses; regulate use of unmanned aircraft systems and images; provisions

http://www.legis.ga.gov/legislation/en-US/Display/20152016/HB/779

Read the below .pdf for the full version:

http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/20152016/154750.pdf

Basically no more photography and need landowner permission to fly as a hobbyist.  Allows for (some) limited commercial UAS operations.

Draconian.
2016-2-17
Use props
SixtyMike
lvl.3
United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-2-17 09:36
Is it any wonder with the prevalence of irresponsible flying occurring because it's all to easy for  ...

I concur Paul.  Education (required) is the key.  Then, hold people responsible.
2016-2-17
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sad to read this. I think the training and licensing needs to be stepped up before there is no reason to have these things anymore. Drones will be outlawed, then DJI will not have a customer base anymore

Rich
2016-2-17
Use props
method007
First Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

Much like handguns, cars and planes, manufacturers don't generally train people when they sell their products.  Formalized training for something as big as drones should be handled through the local governments through licensing.  I certainly don't want to make it a requirement that companies must train people before they sell them products.
2016-2-17
Use props
jayredone10
Second Officer
United States

So blowing off fingers with fireworks that have recently been made legal again in Georgia is fine but not drones.
2016-2-17
Use props
jayredone10
Second Officer
United States

The bill should be titled.  Complete ban of public unmanned aircraft systems. Benefits include,
Technology, Innovation and  Local business destruction.
2016-2-17
Use props
dewayt
lvl.3
Flight distance : 641224 ft
United States

So it appears this bill passed big time in the Georgia HOUSe and is now in the senate to be passed. After reading it, the biggest things im seeing are (correct me if I am wrong):

- cannot take off / land or retrieve your quad from private property without owners permission
- cannot cause problems with moving vehicles
- Law Enforcement cannot use it to search property or get evidence without a warrant
- cannot harass someone illegally hunting
- cannot disturb wildlife
- cannot harass someone with it
- cannot interfere with emergency services

so far it doesnt appear to be all that bad if thats how it gets passed... it has been gimped alot from its original form.
2016-3-7
Use props
Sir Shepherd
Second Officer

United States

Welcome to Georgia!
2016-3-7
Use props
SixtyMike
lvl.3
United States

Very happy they revised it from the original version.  The new version clarifies what LE can and cannot not do with UAS.  The "imaging/photography" wording was struck as well as prohibition of launch/recovery/etc. from public places.

Full doc @:
http://www.legis.ga.gov/legislation/en-US/Display/20152016/HB/779

Applicable cut-n-paste excerpts for hobbyists below.  If this version becomes law, we will still be able to launch from public places unless otherwise prohibited.  Also included is the section pertaining to wildlife and interference with hunting.

Please fly safe, responsibly, and within the rules.  I really don't want to see "No Drones Allowed" signs at my favorite places to fly.

16-11-213.
78 (a) Unless authorized by the owner or lawful occupier of real property or a facility, or the
79 owner of an easement, it shall be unlawful to launch an unmanned aircraft system from
80 private property; provided, however, that this subsection shall not apply to the delivery or
81 retrieval of packages by commercial operators.
82 (b) It shall be unlawful to fly an unmanned aircraft system in such a manner so as to
83 interfere with or cause a hazard to a train, aircraft, or motor vehicle.
84 (c) It shall be unlawful to use an unmanned aircraft system for the purpose of harassing,
85 threatening, or intimidating another person.
86 (d) Any person convicted of a violation of this Code section shall be guilty of a
87 misdemeanor.
88 16-11-214.
89 (a) Any ordinance, resolution, regulation, or policy of any county, municipality, or other
90 political subdivision of this state which is in conflict with this article shall be null, void,
91 and of no force and effect, and this article shall preempt any such ordinance, resolution,
92 regulation, or policy; provided, however, that a county, municipality, or other political
93 subdivision of this state may provide for or prohibit the takeoff, recovery, or use of an
16 LC 29 7041S
H. B. 779 (SUB)
- 4 -
94 unmanned aircraft system from or on its public property, or enforce Federal Aviation
95 Administration restrictions on the use of airspace.
96 (b) The state, through agency or departmental rules and regulations, may provide for or
97 prohibit the takeoff, recovery, or use of an unmanned aircraft system from or on its public
98 property."

SECTION 5.
129 Code Section 27-3-151 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated, relating to activity
130 prohibited in the taking of wildlife, is amended by revising subsection (a) as follows:
131 "(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to:
132 (1) Interfere with the lawful taking of wildlife by another person by intentionally
133 preventing or attempting to prevent such person from such lawful taking of wildlife or
134 using an unmanned aircraft system, as such term is defined in Code Section 16-11-210,
135 to interfere with or prevent such person from such lawful taking of wildlife;
136 (2) Disturb or engage in activity tending to disturb wildlife for the purpose of
137 intentionally preventing or attempting to prevent the lawful taking of such wildlife; or
138 (3) Use an unmanned aircraft system, as such term is defined in Code Section 16-11-210,
139 to assist in the taking of wildlife; or
140 (3)(4) Fail to obey an order of a law enforcement officer to desist from conduct violating
141 paragraph (1) or (2) paragraphs (1) through (3) of this subsection if the law enforcement
142 officer observes such conduct or if the law enforcement officer has reasonable grounds
143 for believing that the person has engaged in such conduct that day or that the person plans
144 or intends to engage in such conduct that day at a specific location."
2016-3-9
Use props
SixtyMike
lvl.3
United States

method007 Posted at 2016-2-17 16:29
Much like handguns, cars and planes, manufacturers don't generally train people when they sell their ...

method, I agree with the idea of required training with a written test and a license.  For those that scoff at the idea, consider the early days of manned aviation and why the Air Commerce Act of 1926 was passed.  In many ways, we are at the same point with UAS.  
2016-3-9
Use props
fans16fa2cd0
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

I can sort of understand the new regulations and laws but they still really bite, I had just bought a Phantom and then read about the new regulations being passed. I ended up returning the DJI to Amazon so I wouldn't get stuck with a $1100 Quadcopter I could only use in my yard.
Sorry DJI, I was really enjoying it.

2017-6-16
Use props
Highasakite
First Officer
Flight distance : 1423930 ft
United States

Guys and Gals living in Georgia, PLEASEcontact your  state and local officials and let them know that you are not happy.{:4_154:} Doesn't really matter anyway, FAA rules the air! Safety First! Ken.
2017-6-16
Use props
Commander4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 578094 ft

United States

Makes one wonder what they are trying to hide....
2017-6-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules