Stacking Filters
3904 12 2016-2-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
igot2n0
Second Officer
Flight distance : 740548 ft
United States

I have recently begun using a polarizing filter when shooting during the day. I also need to use an ND filter. Is it possible to stack a ND screw on filter on top of a polarizer with out vignetting the edges? Anyone have any experience with this? If not, can I use a Rosco gel type of ND filter behind the polorizer?

Thanks in advance.

TC
2016-2-22
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Try it and report back here.
2016-2-22
Use props
igot2n0
Second Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-2-23 07:21
Try it and report back here.

Not gonna. I have not bought the ND filter yet and the type that I buy depends on the answer. But I take it from your answer that you do not know. Which is better than thinking that you were intentionally being less than helpful.
2016-2-22
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

igot2n0 Posted at 2016-2-23 11:15
Not gonna. I have not bought the ND filter yet and the type that I buy depends on the answer. But  ...

Nope, I don't know the answer, but I don't think the filters are designed to allow stacking, so I would use a polarising fixed filter and try insert ND gel behind it. It should work.
2016-2-22
Use props
Riley-NZL
lvl.3

New Zealand

Polar pro ones can not be stacked because they don't have receiving threads on the outside. The DJI camera already vignettes pretty heavily without adding filters, I wouldn't be too worried about it as you can fix it in post pretty easy (unless you get a hard vignette). Other brands might have receiving threads allowing for stacking?

Do you actually find there is much difference with the polarizing filter as you can't rotate it in the air (polarizers need to be rotated correctly to work)? I just use my polarizer as an ND2 filter.
2016-2-22
Use props
igot2n0
Second Officer
United States

Riley-NZL Posted at 2016-2-23 08:30
Polar pro ones can not be stacked because they don't have receiving threads on the outside. The DJI  ...

polarizers need to be rotated correctly to work

Not entirely true. Circular polarizers do not need to be rotated as much a linear polarizers. This is why you MUST use a circular polarizer with an autofocus lens on an SLR where the front element spins as it focuses.

I do not notice much of a difference in the sky with a polarizer. Where I do notice a substantial difference is when I fly over water, which is most of the time. Here in Florida, you are better able to see into the water when shooting with a polarizer. The water has fewer reflections and looks cleaner. Yesterday, I was lucky to have caught a family of 4 Manatee swimming underwater. So yes, I do think a circular polarizer does help.

I was skeptical whether I could stack the screw in filters but thought I should ask anyway. I will try the gel type of ND filter instead.
2016-2-22
Use props
Riley-NZL
lvl.3

New Zealand

igot2n0 Posted at 2016-2-23 09:05
polarizers need to be rotated correctly to work

Not entirely true. Circular polarizers do not nee ...

Good to know, I haven't compared with and without it to see the difference.

A gel cut round and inserted behind an polarizer filter should work perfectly if cut accurately.
2016-2-22
Use props
davidlwoodall
lvl.2

United States

These might work?
PhantomFilters.com
2016-2-22
Use props
j30trouble
lvl.3
Flight distance : 441010 ft
United States

The adjustable ND Filters seem to leave a slight vignette on corners, so I imagine the stacked filters will also.   see this video

2016-2-22
Use props
igot2n0
Second Officer
United States

davidlwoodall@g Posted at 2016-2-23 10:12
These might work?
PhantomFilters.com

Thanks, David. I appreciate it.
2016-2-22
Use props
imagines.and.wo
lvl.2

Croatia

When you stack two PhantomFilters.com filters you'll get picture quality as taken from just with lots of pixels.

Stacking non glass filters does not work in real world.
2016-2-23
Use props
igot2n0
Second Officer
United States

j30trouble Posted at 2016-2-23 11:09
The adjustable ND Filters seem to leave a slight vignette on corners, so I imagine the stacked filte ...

Thanks, j30trouble.  Yep, the vignetting is definitely there. I am going to go will gel filters. There is no perfect solution. My problem is that I worry about touching gel filters with my grubby mits. Oh well!
2016-2-23
Use props
igot2n0
Second Officer
United States

davidlwoodall@g Posted at 2016-2-23 10:12
These might work?
PhantomFilters.com

Thanks for the suggestion. I did purchase the PhantomFilters. A couple of days ago I shot video with a polarizer filter and a 16X. I noticed one highly objectionable quality to the video that I shot. I could see a Newton Ring pattern in the corners. I found this to be very disappointing.
2016-3-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules