Geofencing a big waste.
5415 28 2016-2-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Username Here
lvl.3
United States

Earlier this month, researchers at the DEF CON  hacker conference in Las Vegas, Nevada, demonstrated that the Phantom’s  geofencing was easily manipulated in a variety of ways. Cybersecurity  researcher Michael Robinson showed that the DJI Phantom III’s  geofence draws upon a database that contained some 10,914 entries as of  July 24. Each entry contains a country, city, a timestamp, and, more  importantly, the latitude and the longitude of the no-fly zones,  according to Robinson’s research.
“I very easily downloaded the database and started just changing entries, which I found very interesting,” he said.
By tweaking the data, Robinson was able to make his Phantom ignore the manufacturer-set no-fly zones.

Here's the whole article.

2016-2-25
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

So after that piece of questionable journalism you are able to deduce that Geofencing is a waste of time?
2016-2-25
Use props
Username Here
lvl.3
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-2-25 17:42
So after that piece of questionable journalism you are able to deduce that Geofencing is a waste of  ...

They provided more facts then your "questionable" remark.
2016-2-25
Use props
QuadBart
lvl.4
Flight distance : 256506 ft
  • >>>
United States

My question is why waste time hacking it only to manipulate the data.  Why not just disable the geo-fencing?
2016-2-25
Use props
Ribfeast
lvl.2
Australia

Where is this database?  In the firmware?  Or the app?
2016-2-25
Use props
Username Here
lvl.3
United States

QuadBart Posted at 2016-2-25 18:41
My question is why waste time hacking it only to manipulate the data.  Why not just disable the geo- ...

I'm sure as DJI continues to manipulate Phantoms that are all ready paid for and in use digruntle users will put more effort and research into the ability to change the firmware to their liking's.
2016-2-25
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Username Here Posted at 2016-2-26 10:22
They provided more facts then your "questionable" remark.

My point was that that 'news' item has remarkably little data in it and is mostly a piece of sensationalist rubbish. It said some guy was able to 'hack the database', but in reality he was only able to download a copy, alter it, and somehow have a Phantom respond to the altered database.

I would suggest that that last bit, about having the Phantom respond to the altered database is a downright lie. He would have to know exactly how to patch the 'altered' database into the firmware of the Phantom in order to do this, and if you know anything about patching other people's software, it would be a herculean task.

As such, I give that report no credibility whatsoever.

2016-2-25
Use props
LordNeo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 548212 ft
Chile

You can also not upgrade and ignore the NFZ, Geofencing is not for avoiding the user to fly somewhere, but to make each user responsible for doing so. If someone fly over a NFZ and get caught, they will get punished even if the drone is not DJI's.
2016-2-25
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

Sometimes I wish I could see how many posts a user has.
2016-2-25
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ribfeast Posted at 2016-2-26 07:51
Where is this database?  In the firmware?  Or the app?

The database is in the app, that's why you have to use 2.4.4 and it uses the GPS in the aircraft and you need 1.7 on the aircraft.
2016-2-25
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

LordNeo Posted at 2016-2-26 09:08
You can also not upgrade and ignore the NFZ, Geofencing is not for avoiding the user to fly somewher ...

Exactly, DJI opened it up so you can pretty much fly anywhere and the responsibility to fly safe is on you.
2016-2-25
Use props
Elmer Fudd
lvl.4

United States

QuadBart Posted at 2016-2-25 18:41
My question is why waste time hacking it only to manipulate the data.  Why not just disable the geo- ...

Hackers like to hack. Its their hobby.
2016-2-25
Use props
Ribfeast
lvl.2
Australia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-26 09:22
The database is in the app, that's why you have to use 2.4.4 and it uses the GPS in the aircraft an ...

What if you have a P3 Standard and an iPhone as the controller?  Isn't there some sort of mechanism to stop tampering with the code of Apple apps?
2016-2-25
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Ribfeast Posted at 2016-2-26 11:53
What if you have a P3 Standard and an iPhone as the controller?  Isn't there some sort of mechanis ...

Because the Standard and P3 4k are WiFi, they are not available to use the GEO Beta firmware.
2016-2-25
Use props
Ribfeast
lvl.2
Australia

Damn, so editing the app data on the iPhone would have no effect?  So the drone has the NFZ in its onboard firmware?
2016-2-25
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Cessna172 Posted at 2016-2-25 17:08
Sometimes I wish I could see how many posts a user has.

You can.  Click the users avatar,  then on his page click "posts".  It wont give the number but will show every post.
2016-2-25
Use props
imagines.and.wo
lvl.2

Croatia

You'll see in few years. It's not waste. That thing adds value to DJI. Same thing as google is investing in some shi**y things that users does not like and then in year or so that starts to shine

We all hate it, but that's how things work today
2016-2-26
Use props
Bhujang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534587 ft
United Kingdom

basically anyone who wanted to fly dangerously will and can. Its called free will. It might not be morally right or legal but they have a choice which is why we all come here to this planet to learn from out choices whether right or wrong,
2016-2-26
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Bhujang Posted at 2016-2-26 19:59
basically anyone who wanted to fly dangerously will and can. Its called free will. It might not be m ...

You came here from another planet?

Wow, you are brave, most aliens do not admit the fact.
2016-2-26
Use props
AlaskanTides
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1032293 ft
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-2-26 00:14

I'm pretty sure that was a religious comment...   because on the planet I'm from, I never knew him..
2016-2-26
Use props
AlaskanTides
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1032293 ft
United States

Anything can be jailbroken... Im not surprised.  
When this goes mainstream there will be a lot of jail broke phantoms out there.

but overall only a very few percentage of owners will bother to jail-brake their birds.

This will subdue the weekend warrior from flying over the White house or JFK...  In the big picture that was exactly what DJI wanted to do...

a lot of folks who use them for work will Jail brake them ( That is until  ....eventually the insurance Gets involved).

@ The end of the day,  those that really want to do bad things still will. If it gets released tomorrow, does anyone think we will truly be safer?

2016-2-26
Use props
Bhujang
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2016-2-26 09:14

Ha ha ha we come in peace ak ak akkk
2016-2-26
Use props
Bhujang
lvl.4
United Kingdom

AlaskanTides Posted at 2016-2-26 09:25
I'm pretty sure that was a religious comment...   because on the planet I'm from, I never knew hi ...

In an infinite universe there is infinite probability of other intelligent life forms therefore infinite inhabitated planets out there with intelligent life on so yes you didn't know me ;)
2016-2-26
Use props
Bhujang
lvl.4
United Kingdom

People are always tempted by what they can't do! I just love nature and wild environments. That's what I want to film. The idea of flying near an airport or military base etc really has zero appeal to me. But we are all different! At the end of the day it's about having safe and sensible fun right?
2016-2-26
Use props
Mafia16
First Officer
Flight distance : 26490948 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-25 21:22
The database is in the app, that's why you have to use 2.4.4 and it uses the GPS in the aircraft an ...

soo if i have app version 2.4.4 and 1.7 on the drone i can fly anywhere i want because in my country i cant event turn it on because it have a big red no fly zone
2016-2-26
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Mafia16 Posted at 2016-2-26 20:38
soo if i have app version 2.4.4 and 1.7 on the drone i can fly anywhere i want because in my count ...

http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system/details#intro-geo
I am sorry if it is not available in your area.
Currently, the GEO Beta app is available in these areas. GEO is currently available in the following areas:
United Arab Emirates
North America:Canada ,United States ,Mexico
Europe [1]

Germany
France
United Kingdom
Ireland
Italy
Spain
Belgium
Netherlands
Luxembourg
Denmark
Switzerland
Portugal
Andorra
2016-2-26
Use props
Username Here
lvl.3
United States

Mafia16 Posted at 2016-2-26 07:38
soo if i have app version 2.4.4 and 1.7 on the drone i can fly anywhere i want because in my count ...

Actually it goes further back then that. I've got 2.4.3 on the app and 1.6 FW and have a few red spots.

In no way do I condone flying in the area of any air traffic, in fact, even if I'm flying around 200 feet here in the country and hear any type of air traffic I'll bring my bird down. My complaint is that the manufacturer (DJI) is wanting to control the enforcement of the guide lines when there are proper authorities in place to do that. This enforcement by DJI was started in a dishonest way by deceiving owners.
2016-2-26
Use props
sifu128
lvl.3

United States

You can fly now where ever you want (with exception of airports) with the need of 1.7 or geofencing and without having some company collect your flight statistics and credit card information.
2016-3-13
Use props
sifu128
lvl.3

United States

Username Here Posted at 2016-2-26 23:50
Actually it goes further back then that. I've got 2.4.3 on the app and 1.6 FW and have a few red s ...

A nice class action lawsuit should be stated. For me it's an out of us company forcing users to turn over credit card information that can and will most likely be sold off.
2016-3-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules