Slow Motion Very SOFT
2645 10 2016-2-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
matt
lvl.1

United States

Hi all,

I am a commercial cinematograoher and have recenty picked up the osmo for situations we cant get a bigger camera/gimbal in position. Just used it on a shoot and the 4k seems to work great but the slowmotion is crazy soft. Sees to be completely out of focus. My buddies Osmo doe not have this issue. COuld this be firmware or do I need to get it repaired? Thanks. I can upload a raw clip so I can show you what I am seeing. All taken in bright environment so that sisn't the issue.
2016-2-25
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Hi,
Please show us the raw clip so that we can help to have a look.
What the version is your Osmo?
2016-2-25
Use props
ohmface
lvl.3
France

Hi

I've got exactly the same problem. Everything works fine exept the 120 fps wich is totally blurry. Here's an example.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... EU/view?usp=sharing

Chears
2016-2-26
Use props
robind_r
lvl.3
United Kingdom

It's degraded with me too. I'm not sure what resoltion it shoots slomo in, but it's not HD.   Probably better to choose high shutter spees and slow in post
2016-2-26
Use props
matt
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-2-25 18:25
Hi,
Please show us the raw clip so that we can help to have a look.
What the version is your Osmo?

Here is a raw clip:

Google Drive Link to OSMO slowmotion Blurry video
2016-2-26
Use props
matt
lvl.1

United States

ohmface Posted at 2016-2-26 01:57
Hi

I've got exactly the same problem. Everything works fine exept the 120 fps wich is totally blurr ...

Weird... My footage looks even softer! Your footage almost appears to be in focus at the side of your frame. Look at the chairs.... weird because the guys face is completely out of focus the whole time.
2016-2-26
Use props
Casey Preston
lvl.2

United States

ohmface Posted at 2016-2-26 04:57
Hi

I've got exactly the same problem. Everything works fine exept the 120 fps wich is totally blurr ...

That's just the way the slomo footage looks.  The relative bitrate is so low that moving objects are going to look mushy and blocky.  In addition, the actual sensor read out cause the footage to have less resolution.  Also, a proper shutter rate is 180 degree shutter rate is 240, and I'm guessing that most people are shooting slomo at 120 and a higher ISO than normal, which will also make the footage look relatively blurry.  

I think DJI made a mistake by not clearly labeling the slomo setting and giving a warning that it will look worse than footage at other settings.
2016-2-26
Use props
matt
lvl.1

United States

Casey Preston Posted at 2016-2-26 10:47
That's just the way the slomo footage looks.  The relative bitrate is so low that moving objects a ...

Casey,

I understand that the slow motion is not  4k, but compared to many other videos I have seen, mine is way way worse, and totally unusable. That clip was at 100 iso and a 180 degree shutter.

2016-2-26
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

robind_r Posted at 2016-2-26 20:15
It's degraded with me too. I'm not sure what resoltion it shoots slomo in, but it's not HD.   Probab ...

The resolution for slow motion is 1920*1080 120fps.
2016-2-26
Use props
matt
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-2-26 18:34
The resolution for slow motion is 1920*1080 120fps.

Any info on why it is so soft? This is not how it should be. Is it hardware of firmware?
2016-2-26
Use props
Casey Preston
lvl.2

United States

The resolution that it records at is 1080p.  The actual detail in the image is far less.  The Osmo uses a crop of the sensor and uses a minimum amount of photosites to get to to the recorded 1080p so that the processor can keep up.  The regular 1080p oversamples the sensor.  It is similar to the difference one sees when comparing a Canon DSLR to a Canon cinema camera or newer video camera.   The sensor crop can also show more problems with the lens since you are using less of the actual lens area.  The Osmo is not a particularly sharp camera based on my tests.  Also, normal 30p or 25p and 24p encodes at about 40bps.  The 120p encodes at around 60bps.  It is trying to encode at least four times as much data with about 50% more memory.  Finally, because things are moving slower, you tend to notice the lack of detail since there is motion.  DJI may also have not added enough sharpening for people's tastes, so you can increase the sharpening in the app to help.

Matt your footage looks right to me, it just also has added diffusion due to the weather.  Ohmface's footage also looks like what I would expect.

In the end, it would be better to use 60p and retime in post to get to slow motion unless you absolutely need the slowest footage that you can get.  
2016-2-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules