Smart Battery - Auto Discharge
4478 11 2016-2-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dark Knight
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hey folks,

Im a little confused with this whole auto discharge function that the smart batteries have. I fully charged one last Saturday and forgot to discharge it down to around 50% as thats the level i like to leave them if im not intending to fly for around a week. Thankfully I set my batteries to discharge after 3 days so I thought nothing of it. Now I find out the battery is currently at 97% after nearly a week? Whats the deal with that?!

Am i right in saying that these batteries are meant to 'auto discharge' down to 65% if they pass the time threshold (3 days for example) and are anywhere above the 65% charge level? Or do they have to be at 100% before they start to discharge automatically?

Thanks for any help!
2016-2-26
Use props
Bhujang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534587 ft
United Kingdom

Your right so far. Did you check the battery on the app and that its definite;y set to discharge after 3 days? Maybe thats not been saved onto the battery as you thought. ?? If it is set to 3 days then yes it should have discharged down to  65% after 3 days... Let's hope it's not another DJI issue!
2016-2-26
Use props
thumb
lvl.4
United States

I have not seen any kind of discharge at all on any of my two batteries. I usually use just one battery and leave the 2nd battery in my case for backup. I have mine set for 7 days but the 2nd battery has been in the case sitting there for almost 2 weeks and when I tested it in my P3A it came up at 92%.
2016-2-26
Use props
Dark Knight
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Bhujang Posted at 2016-2-26 12:09
Your right so far. Did you check the battery on the app and that its definite;y set to discharge aft ...

Yeah I checked on the app and its definitely set at 3 days. Does this mean there is a bug with the auto discharging feature?!
2016-2-26
Use props
Bhujang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534587 ft
United Kingdom

Dark Knight Posted at 2016-2-26 14:10
Yeah I checked on the app and its definitely set at 3 days. Does this mean there is a bug with the ...

Possible, is the firmware up to date on it? I'd start a ticket with DJI and get expert advice. They might need it back to fix. Let us know how it goes...
2016-2-26
Use props
Nicola90s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3060869 ft
Italy

Dark Knight Posted at 2016-2-26 15:10
Yeah I checked on the app and its definitely set at 3 days. Does this mean there is a bug with the ...

In this period (3 days, as you set) did you pressed the button to controlling the charge? If yes, you have restarted the timer for the self discharge.
2016-2-26
Use props
Dark Knight
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Nicola90s Posted at 2016-2-26 14:51
In this period (3 days, as you set) did you pressed the button to controlling the charge? If yes,  ...

So pressing the button to check the battery level resets the auto discharge timer?! Thats news to me! Thanks for the help!

Does anyone else know about this?
2016-2-26
Use props
Nicola90s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3060869 ft
Italy

Dark Knight Posted at 2016-2-26 16:55
So pressing the button to check the battery level resets the auto discharge timer?! Thats news to  ...

Yes, it restart counter, you can try to set only one day and look what happen, if you don't press the button it will start to self discharge. I usually put my battery on the hardshell backpack and when I open it I feel little warm come outside when battery start to self discharge.
2016-2-26
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dark Knight Posted at 2016-2-26 07:55
So pressing the button to check the battery level resets the auto discharge timer?! Thats news to  ...

Yes, pushing the button does restart the timer. And if you have your discharge set at three days, after three days it starts a very slow discharge and it will take several days until it's down to the storage level.
2016-2-26
Use props
Dark Knight
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Learn something everyday! Thanks guys
2016-2-26
Use props
anandharaj
lvl.2
Flight distance : 55184 ft
Malaysia

It is recommended to keep the battery at 50% if we are not gonna use for some time? I always just keep the battery 20% - 30%, not charge after the last flight.
2016-2-26
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

When I last checked mine during self discharge, it stays 1-1.5 degrees warmer than the one right next to it that is not discharging.  It takes 3-4 days to go down to 50-55%.
2016-2-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules