Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phantom 3 Pro - Cannot Remove Lens
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TheFixer
New

United Kingdom

Hey - I bought a Polar Pro lens for my Phantom 3 Pro, but for the life of me I just can't remove the old one. It's like it's been superglued on or something. I have checked on YouTube that they can be removed, and yes, they just unscrew off. I've tried with all my might. Any suggestions here?

Cheers all

2016-3-9
Use props
BASS 666
lvl.4

United Kingdom

I put a tie clip round mine and used it to turn mine off .. it was very easy and I like you couldn't get mine off by hand ....  when I put the tie clip on I didn't tighten it really hard just enough to grip the lens ....
2016-3-9
Use props
ChaneRZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 171043 ft

Rubber band or gloves will do the trick.
2016-3-9
Use props
not the drones
Flight distance : 529547 ft
United States

Not sure what sort of tie clip – I keep one of those big broccoli rubberbands in my case and it works fine. Distributes the pressure evenly along the whole lens. A smaller rubberband would probably work fine too.
2016-3-9
Use props
Not A Speck Of
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666493 ft
United States

Yes, as others say, rubber bands.

Keep in mind that when you press in on the plastic filter (not lens) housing, you are pinching it tight against the lens itself, which works to hold it tight. The rubber-band trick works to distribute the force equally.

2016-3-9
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Captain
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

You're trying TOO HARD.  Keep a loose grip on it and use a rubber band to give you enough grip to break it loose.  The circular mount that the filter is mounted in is quite flexible and your grip is making it did into the threads even harder.  Relax.
2016-3-9
Use props
Khairil

Malaysia

I had the same issues when I want to remove the lens cover. What I'm doing was I use the propeller removal clamp to unscrew the lens cover. Its work..
2016-3-9
Use props
Rnfaust
Second Officer
Flight distance : 734938 ft

Everyone is right about not squeezing the lens area when trying to unscrew it.
I spent 2 months trying to unscrew mine, progressivly using bigger tools. I was certain it must be welded together.

I finally took the P3 to a local dealer and told him my problem. He said bring it in so he could look at it. While we were talking he kept fiddling with it with just his fingers. A couple of minutes later it was off!

Here's the thing: the lens [cap] is aluminum, but it is very thin with internal threads. So any pressure applied to it, especially in just one or two spots actually makes it harder (impossible) to turn.
The dealer used all his fingers to apply pressure evenly and kept lightly working them around until it began to give way.
It was amazing! I almost fell down when I saw it come off so easily.
You can do it.
2016-3-9
Use props
ArcticM39
lvl.3

United States

Tried everything. Then used a rubber glove. It worked great!
2016-3-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

The easiest way is to use three fingers and evenly space them apart around the lens cover. Then squeeze your fingers lightly and twist and it will unscrew. If you squeeze hard, it will not come off.
2016-3-9
Use props
BASS 666
lvl.4

United Kingdom

not the drones  Posted at 2016-3-9 21:32
Not sure what sort of tie clip – I keep one of those big broccoli rubberbands in my case and it wor ...

I think in the states they call them ZIP TIES  ....
2016-3-10
Use props
not the drones
Flight distance : 529547 ft
United States

BASS 666 Posted at 2016-3-10 17:56
I think in the states they call them ZIP TIES  ....

AHHHH cheerio guvna

...what do you use to stop your necktie from flapping about in the wind?
2016-3-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

not the drones  Posted at 2016-3-10 23:17
AHHHH  cheerio guvna

A tie clip
2016-3-10
Use props
BASS 666
lvl.4

United Kingdom

lol you beat me to it
2016-3-10
Use props
BASS 666
lvl.4

United Kingdom

not the drones  Posted at 2016-3-10 15:17
AHHHH  cheerio guvna

lol what Ken says ....
2016-3-10
Use props
Kameraman4K
New

Slovakia

Khairil Posted at 2016-3-10 03:21
I had the same issues when I want to remove the lens cover. What I'm doing was I use the propeller r ...

It looks like Clamp shipped with Phantom 3 is made for this. I am just wondering, why its not called "Propeller/Lens Removal Clamp" so its clear to everyone?!

Anyway I am fighting with lens removal over month now. I made maybe one circle, now I can rotate lens at 20° radius and thats it.

Its driving me crazy, one step closer from using a hammer.

Pavel
www.kameraman4k.sk
2016-3-26
Use props
ryan209
lvl.4

United States

Kameraman4K Posted at 2016-3-27 05:05
It looks like Clamp shipped with Phantom 3 is made for this. I am just wondering, why its not call ...

The trick for me is use a rubber band to grip the ring of the lens with my thumb and pointer finger then try to turn putting as little actual pressure on the ring  as possible.
2016-3-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules