Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
alexassenmacher
lvl.4
Flight distance : 216430 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Hello djiers again!
As last week I did a tutorial on some of the different cinematic shots you can do with your drone, I've made now a video about ND filters, what they do, how they work,...
Hope you like it!

2016-3-13
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

It's very useful! Thanks for sharing!
2016-3-13
Use props
Mauro Pagliai
Second Officer
Flight distance : 34753871 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Really interesting! Thank you very much
2016-3-14
Use props
alexassenmacher
lvl.4
  • >>>
Spain

Mauro Pagliai Posted at 2016-3-14 09:22
Really interesting! Thank you very much

Thanks guys. The good thing about making tutorials is that you always learn a lot by doing them
2016-3-14
Use props
Romi
lvl.2

United States

Good explanation, thanks!
2016-3-14
Use props
Fermin
lvl.2

Spain

Many thanks, one question how can avoid the shadow efect of the props in the movi?.
2016-3-14
Use props
The Explorograp
lvl.1

Anyone have a DIY way to cut 37mm perfect circles out of ND Filter Film?  I have a lot of LEE Filter film but don't want to hack at it. Have not had the best of luck finding something the right size to use as a template.. Just wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks...
2016-3-15
Use props
patrash1
lvl.2

United States

Well done! Thanks so much!
2016-3-15
Use props
WillBapta
lvl.2

United States

Very good way to describe the subject for us noobies. Thanks
2016-3-15
Use props
alexassenmacher
lvl.4
  • >>>
Spain

WillBapta Posted at 2016-3-16 04:07
Very good way to describe the subject for us noobies. Thanks

Thanks all guys! Hope you learn a lot!
2016-3-16
Use props
quanthonytrang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Fermin Posted at 2016-3-15 05:13
Many thanks, one question how can avoid the shadow efect of the props in the movi?.

Get a petal hat for the camera. I cant guarantee it as it can still happen depending on where the sun is.
Maybe reposition the Phantom and pre-plan the shot, no different to the rule of taking normal photos with the sun behind the subject.
2016-3-17
Use props
Barney Rubbel
lvl.4

Fermin Posted at 2016-3-15 02:13

Yes. Get a hood for the lens. I have one and it helps, but like the man says, it can't completely get rid of it but this certainly helps. Try gimbalguard.com. I think that's where I got mine.

Barney
2016-3-17
Use props
Barney Rubbel
lvl.4

Thank you for the information. Very helpful! I guess I missed the ISO/fSTOP/Aperture/Shutter Speed episodes.

Barney

2016-3-17
Use props
Mutnic
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Great piece of information, thanks.

What are the best ND filters for the P4 please?
2016-3-20
Use props
skylight
New
Flight distance : 141749 ft
United States

Nice video. I have been a professional photographer for nearly 30 years now (wow, that sounds like a long time. LOL) and have always used ND filters for many different reasons. When I film with my drone, I like to use a Variable ND filter. It makes it fast and easy to change the saturation as the lighting changes. I find that I can quickly land, adjust the filter, verses having to remove one hard stop filter for another. It is a time saver, plus it gives me the ability to custom dial in the exact about of light I want. Which ever you choose, I highly recommend ND filters for all Phantoms, the X3 camera or even the OSMO handheld devise.
2016-3-20
Use props
BG69
New
United States

Cutting gel filters to fit inside of a UV filter --
First, unscrew the ring that holds the glass to the UV filter frame.  With an X-acto #11 blade for cutting -- use the glass as a template -- had an extra 'cheap' UV just for this purpose.  The Kodak 3" gels are tough cutting -- take your time.  Use micro cloths to protect the template and the gels.  Mount the gel behind the glass before screwing on -- or -- use the ring over both to secure.  If you use the ring be aware the filter will extend the thickness of the ring and moisture more likely will form.  The gel filter must lay flat against the glass.  Its tedious but worth trying -- particularly if you've got a bunch of old gel packs sitting in a drawer.
2016-3-21
Use props
martinpamor
lvl.2
United Kingdom

The Explorograp Posted at 2016-3-15 18:29
Anyone have a DIY way to cut 37mm perfect circles out of ND Filter Film?  I have a lot of LEE Filter ...

I have used the inner plastic reel of £1 shop insulation tape.  I took all the tape off and was able to insert glass I/R filters of 750nm and 950nm.  The plastic reel fits slides exactly over the camera lens.
2016-3-21
Use props
alexassenmacher
lvl.4
  • >>>
Spain

martinpamor Posted at 2016-3-22 06:22
I have used the inner plastic reel of £1 shop insulation tape.  I took all the tape off and was a ...

Thanks all!
By the way, a few interesting things showed up here.

@ martinpamor, do you have any footage with that last thing you're talking?

@ BG69 you should definitely do a video with that you're saying!!

@ skylight I definitely want to try one of those variable filters!!
2016-3-24
Use props
martinpamor
lvl.2
United Kingdom

alexassenmacher Posted at 2016-3-24 22:40
Thanks all!
By the way, a few interesting things showed up here.

Ill have a go when the weather gets better
2016-3-24
Use props
Saulsa33
lvl.1

United States

Thanks very helpfull
2016-3-27
Use props
MattG
lvl.1
Flight distance : 127133 ft
United Kingdom

Thanks for this. I film in an area which has quite a lot of white rooves, so the sunlight simply reflects off them and it seriously affects the quality. Do you reccommend getting an ND filter for this issue? Should I get the full set, or just one?
2016-3-27
Use props
alexassenmacher
lvl.4
  • >>>
Spain

MattG Posted at 2016-3-27 22:31
Thanks for this. I film in an area which has quite a lot of white rooves, so the sunlight simply ref ...

You're welcome!
Hmm, good question. First of all, having ND filters is basic. It should be as important as propellers, for example. It's just that people usually don't know it.
If just one or a set, this will depend entirely on how much money you want / can spend. If you are short on money, buy just one, for example ND 8 or ND 16 a filter  you can't be wrong with, and then see how good it works for you, and depending on your needs you can buy others more specifically.
On the other hand, if you can afford a whole set, just do it .
2016-3-27
Use props
p.groom1
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Alex
in your ND tut you mention about other films you have made about frame rates , ISO etc etc.
Can you post a link as to where they are?
Peter
2016-3-28
Use props
MattG
lvl.1
Flight distance : 127133 ft
United Kingdom

alexassenmacher Posted at 2016-3-27 21:47
You're welcome!
Hmm, good question. First of all, having ND filters is basic. It should be as impo ...

Yeah, I get the feeling that if the sun is out, or you're filming above white buildings, then the ND filters should pretty much be a given. Is there much difference between the 8 and 16, or should I literally just get either and see how it turns out?
Also - would a polarising filter work better, or will they all achieve the same effect to similar degrees? Any reccommendations on where to buy! Thanks so much for your help.
2016-3-28
Use props
water0106
Banned

Singapore

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-3-28
Use props
DadDog
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2907 ft
United States

Has any found a good carrying case for these small ND filters?
2016-3-30
Use props
slimbo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 218058 ft
Sweden

l hope you don't mind if I share this by embedding it to my blog!
2016-3-30
Use props
patrash1
lvl.2

United States

Is the lens cover that comes stock on the Phantom 4 a UV filter? Same as the one you can buy in the DJI store?
2016-03-31_17-26-54.jpg
2016-3-31
Use props
nicolas.w.roth
lvl.2
Flight distance : 28556 ft
Switzerland

thanks for the video, super useful!
2016-4-1
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

Great video. Thanks!

Dave
2016-4-2
Use props
bigmouth.kwok
lvl.2
Hong Kong

Great job. Thanks
2016-4-3
Use props
alexassenmacher
lvl.4
  • >>>
Spain

patrash1 Posted at 2016-4-1 05:27
Is the lens cover that comes stock on the Phantom 4 a UV filter? Same as the one you can buy in the ...

Thanks to all!

patrash, yes as the official dji website says, the original lens cover is a UV filter .

@MattG , yes, I'd do that, however you'll probably need something around 16-32. Especially if you have a lot of whites on your fields .

@DadDog , please if somebody answers to that, it would be veeeery useful to us. I'm currently using the original soft boxes and transporting it in a small plastic bag.
2016-4-3
Use props
joHnCy
New

United States

Very good information thank you for posting it.
2016-4-4
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thank you for taking the time to explain ND filters and settings. This was very helpful

Rich
2016-4-6
Use props
Jay Jay
New

Australia

Hi im really excited about trying ND filters. Great  infomation. So i bought a set of ND filters but i cant get the original lens cover iff my Phantom 4. I have tried as hard as i could but i dont eant to damage it.is there a tric km i dont know.
2016-4-12
Use props
jeremy.coombs
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi - can you tell me if these filters will fit the Phantom 4?  Also is there a polarizing filter available?  This would be really useful,

Thanks

Jeremy
2016-4-14
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Jay Jay Posted at 2016-4-13 17:53
Hi im really excited about trying ND filters. Great  infomation. So i bought a set of ND filters but ...

This has been discussed many times, you would find it if you searched. But, anyhow, the trick is not to grab the outside of the ring too hard. If you do, it just squeezes it onto the threads and makes it harder to unscrew. Get yourself a wide rubber band, wrap it around the outer end of the ring, pinch it together and then use it to unscrew the ring.

2016-4-15
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great basic Tutorial.
2016-4-19
Use props
superik.nice
lvl.2
Flight distance : 184058 ft
France

DadDog Posted at 2016-3-31 04:23
Has any found a good carrying case for these small ND filters?

hello,
I've bought 3 nd filter on amazon. They Have been delivered in some small boxes (one box per filter). I can easily put them in compartment of my Phantom 3 Bag.
I've found on aliexpress website a special bag for (at least) 3 filter. The brand name is Sunny life (maybe you can use this "Filter Storage Bag ND Filter Graduated Filter Star Filter Bag Dustproof Waterproof Bag for DJI Phantom 3/4" to find the product).
I haven't bought the lens bag yet anyway.

Eric

ps : if my message is not conform to dji forum rules, please delete it (instead of my account ). I don't sell the product and will not win money if someone buy it ;)
2016-4-19
Use props
flydodom
lvl.3
Flight distance : 321857 ft
United Kingdom

I would NOT recommend resin/jel/plastic filters! When you buy a drone that costs over £500/1000 sure it is important to match the quality of the glass. After all, it is hours of labour to put together a video. Why waste time when they are sold at DJI store for £21!
2016-4-20
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules