8233 92 2016-3-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Singer Enrique Iglesias found out the hard way about "hand catching" an inspire1, please just let the drone land on its own and if it's absolutely necessary to hand catch your drone please do so carefully, make sure you have two people, one for control the other to catch the drone. And please make sure your both sober.
image.jpg
2016-3-13
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

What's that got to do with hand catching a Phantom?
They are entirely different machines.
Hand catching a Phantom is not dangerous as thousands of users know from experience.

2016-3-13
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-3-13 19:04
What's that got to do with hand catching a Phantom?
They are entirely different machines.
Hand catch ...

Kinda splitting hairs here a little bit are we not? There both drones, the both have landing gear, they both have 4 spinning props that are spinning fast with sharp edges. A blind man could see the similarities?
2016-3-13
Use props
quanthonytrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2016-3-14 10:14
Kinda splitting hairs here a little bit are we not? There both drones, the both have landing gear, ...

Different!

The inspire has 4 black props. Black means it's more deadly. The phantom has white props. White is more virtuous (with the exception of Stormshadow vs Snake Eyes in GI Joe).

The Inspire is designed with a monoleg knob with a built in detachable 360 camera. The knob 360 camera was never designed for hand catching. Enrique Iglesias missed the practice/sound check session and didn't get the memo. Enrique Iglesias was meant to hold the monoleg 360 camera and the inspire was meant to lift him around the venue.
2016-3-13
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

quanthonytrang Posted at 2016-3-13 19:36
Different!

The inspire has 4 black props. Black means it's more deadly. The phantom has white pro ...

Ok ok go ahead and chop your finger off, I don't care.
2016-3-13
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2016-3-14 10:14
Kinda splitting hairs here a little bit are we not? There both drones, the both have landing gear, ...

"Kinda splitting hairs here a little bit are we not? There both drones, the both have landing gear, they both have 4 spinning props that are spinning fast with sharp edges. A blind man could see the similarities?"

No .. not splitting hairs at all.
Have you ever seen an Inspire close up when it's in landing configuration?
It drops the props making catching a risky operation.
The Phantom's props stay up high and well away from anywhere you need to put your hands to catch it.

Go and look at any of the many videos showing how to safely catch a Phantom because the process isn't what you imagine it is.
There are many users that hand catch the majority of the time - because it is very safe.
2016-3-13
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

Yes, it can be dangerous, but the dangers can be minimised with care.

FYI, Enrique didn't have the RC, another person did, so your advice about using another person to control the aircraft may be flawed.

Personally I prefer to catch & control, because there's no chance of my left hand not knowing what my right hand is doing.  It's possible to drop the RC, but that risk can be eliminated using a proper strap to take the weight.
2016-3-13
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

People who catch them by hand are just plain dumb.     No excuses and don't tell me otherwise.   Been flying RC for 45 years plus and I've seen it all.    STUFF HAPPENS.
ESC controller glitch,  magnetic interference glitch at the wrong time.    IN YOUR EYEBALL or JUGULAR in .0000005 seconds.

You got what?....MAYBE 12 inches between the spinning props and your eyeballs?   

It's ALWAYS safe....until the day it isn't.   Just takes one time.  but hey, your eyes, your life.    Darwin awards presented daily.
Ok...yeah that was a bit rough....but I'm feelin grumpy tonight anyway.  Arthritis actin up and out of depends again dag nabbit

2016-3-13
Use props
Username Here
lvl.3
United States

Riding a bicycle no handed is dangerous....hope you never did such a dangerous thing.  <sigh>
2016-3-13
Use props
Username Here
lvl.3
United States

R&amp;L Aerial  Posted at 2016-3-13 19:38
Ok ok go ahead and chop your finger off, I don't care.

Then why start a thread about it if you don't care?
2016-3-13
Use props
Username Here
lvl.3
United States

Get the whole story so you know what you're posting about.

He had all ready caught the Inspire but decided to play with it and act stupid while the props were spinning.

2016-3-13
Use props
edbighi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 47455053 ft
  • >>>
Austria

I've got over 600 hand catches now. Never a problem.
2016-3-13
Use props
grangerfx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 817713 ft
United States

I used to be of the opinion that you had to be crazy to hand catch. Then I did it. Now I hand catch every time. Much less wear and tear on the drone and not dangerous at all if you are simply careful and take your time. I will soon have a Phantom 4 with downward facing cameras plus sonic sensors and the ability to land automatically. Guess what? I will still be hand catching my Phantom 4. There is no reason why I should let the motors ingest sand, dust and debris. Plus, hand catching is really fun. There is something magical about having your drone back in your hand after a long flight.
2016-3-13
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

Yes, it's dangerous, please don't try the hand catching.
2016-3-13
Use props
Mike_fnq
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5623 ft
Australia

Flyin&#39;Bryan Posted at 2016-3-14 14:45
Living... is inherently dangerous.

Nobody gets out alive ;)
2016-3-13
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Flyin'Bryan Posted at 2016-3-14 04:45
Living... is inherently dangerous.

This is true.  And if it isn't, we make it more dangerous to compensate.  Some of us actively do it, others do it without realising. I prefer the former.  Guess I'm just dumb.
2016-3-14
Use props
bobasbury
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1140502 ft
  • >>>
United States

Cessna172 Posted at 2016-3-14 10:52
People who catch them by hand are just plain dumb.     No excuses and don't tell me otherwise.   Bee ...

Are people who drive cars dumb?  No.  (Well, not all of them.)  Life is about managed risk.  There is a safe way to hand-catch a Phantom, and if you never learn, you will almost certainly wish one day that you did learn.

The performer was not trying to hand-catch the Inspire.  He was hot-dogging, and the pilot may not have been sure WHAT he was doing.  High risk, low reward.
2016-3-14
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

Username Here Posted at 2016-3-14 11:41
Riding a bicycle no handed is dangerous....hope you never did such a dangerous thing.

The problem is when someone else's foolishness potentially affects me.  I can see DJI getting sued over someone losing an eye, nose or cutting a jugular while hand catching, then getting a lawyer (if they survive) claiming it was "The machines fault" due to ESC failure or some other "glitch".   The public already hates drones.  Jury awards should be big n easy.   Then these things will cost $2000 each for everyone else.  That's all I care about.   If you want to risk your eyes or your own life go for it.  I'm fine with that.
Just man up to your loss for being dumb and don't blame someone else.

DJI-AMY

2016-3-14
Use props
terrylewis
First Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

Apples and Oranges -> or tomatoes and cabbage

Phantom: The fixed landing gear and light weight of the Phantom (1280g) provide the perfect combination to hover the Phantom just above eye level and grasp the lower strut safely and securely while holding the throttle down for three seconds to stop the motors. By all means land it where you have a landing pad or short grass to protect the camera and gimbal. But when you're landing area is rocky, unstable, wet, sandy, or obstructed, then hand catching the Phantom provides an alternative landing means to protect the camera and aircraft from dust, dirt, rocks, etc.

Inspire: The Inspire Pro weighs 3500g and even with the landing gear down, the only place to grab it in a balanced manner is from the rear below the battery compartment. And if I'm not flying it, I'm not sticking my hand into that meat grinder. I'm sure there are locations that may require some alternative landing site with the Inspire, but personally, I'd plan ahead rather than attempting to hand-catch that aircraft.
2016-3-14
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

Makes no difference.

Someone will try to sue DJI after they hurt themselves....Phantom or Inspire.     Lawyers field day......deep pockets.    Do the math.
I have to side with DJI on this one.    These things were NOT designed to be "hand caught"....same as real aircraft with propellers weren't designed for a lot of foot traffic around them while they're running.     duh.

But again, I don't care if you slice yourself....I just don't want my next Phantom purchase price to reflect someone else's stupidity  

btw...how many times had Enrique done the hand catch....before he tried to slice off his microphone holding fingers?
Has his lawyers filed the lawsuit yet?
2016-3-14
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Username Here Posted at 2016-3-13 23:42
Then why start a thread about it if you don't care?

Because of all the smart Alec remarks, I was just trying to raise awareness on the potential dangers of hand catching, it was directed more at the noobs than anyone else. In a different thread I said it was stupid to hand catch and that was wrong. Just be carful.
2016-3-14
Use props
spiderbot.sb
lvl.4
United States

DJI built in auto takeoff and landing protocols if you're afraid of crashing or whatever.  I find it fun to land by remote because I use prop guards to avoid the effects of tip over.  You'll be subject to the effects of debris no matter what you do.  I slaughtered a bunch of wasps one summer day.  Got wasp guts all over my quad.  If you're worried about debris, take a piece of cardboard with you, spread it out and use it as a mini helipad.

I'd almost bet that the dude in the video above did not sue DJI, especially if the drone operator had permission to fly there.  Otherwise, he might sue the operator.  In America, if you can't sue an auto maker for bad drivers, you can't sue DJI for bad operators.  Of course, things might be different in Mexico.
2016-3-14
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

Well that fact that is a moron, and was goofing around to show off proves that some people should not reproduce.  In no way was he even being careful or cautious. Then after messing around sticking his hand into the prop, he throws it at the audience. Nice.
2016-3-14
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Cessna172 Posted at 2016-3-14 11:45
Makes no difference.

Someone will try to sue DJI after they hurt themselves....Phantom or Inspire.  ...

So, you'll be all for people taking a competency exam then before flying any UAV?  Currently in the UK it costs about £1500.  It's required to get permission from the CAA to fly for financial gain.

People buy drones in Walmart's toy department & go out with no training or clue as to what they're doing, flying amongst the general public & at close quarters.  These are the people you should be concerned about, rather than enthusiasts who frequent forums & have sensible discussions about the merits & techniques of hand catching.
2016-3-14
Use props
Flying Poptart
lvl.3
Flight distance : 734577 ft
United States

Enrique EIglesias  is a "Huge Douche" so who cares.

2016-3-14
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

nigelw Posted at 2016-3-14 21:41
So, you'll be all for people taking a competency exam then before flying any UAV?  Currently in th ...

No, I didn't say that.  What I said is.........

Hand catching is dangerous and it's an UNNECESSARY risk 99.9 % of the time.   Just becuase you haven't been hurt (yet) doesn't make a dangerous activity safer.    Advocating it on a forum where you know people are coming looking for information is not a good idea imo.  The message being ....Hey, if  "experts" do it, you should do it too...it must be ok....

not

How about a discussion on the techniques for removing clumps of grass.......from underneath a running lawnmower?

There are a FEW situations where it might be necessary, but smart people will take precautions and not do it bare handed or without at least protective (safety) eyewear.
2016-3-14
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

Flying Poptart Posted at 2016-3-15 01:57
Enrique EIglesias  is a "Huge Douche" so who cares.

A rich douch nevertheless ...btw...I am NOT a fan   
2016-3-14
Use props
Fermin
lvl.2

Spain

I do it twice and if the wind is not too gusting it is simple.
2016-3-14
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Cessna172 Posted at 2016-3-14 17:57
No, I didn't say that.  What I said is.........

Hand catching is dangerous and it's an UNNECESSARY ...

You said you don't want someone else's accident affecting you, which is fair enough.  What I'm saying is the accidents that are likely to affect you the most are those involving other people not involved in flying as a hobby, because anyone can just buy a drone & take it down to the park.  "Who cares about the FAA?  They're for real planes & helicopters" is what most consumers think.

BTW, In my experience, it's been 97.5% of the time so far.  I expect that to change because it opens up many more opportunities to capture what I'm after.  Yes, it can be dangerous, so people should be encouraged to learn how to do it safely rather than told not to do it.
2016-3-14
Use props
terrylewis
First Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

http://forum.dji.com/thread-45116-1-1.html
2016-3-14
Use props
WetDog
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1131886 ft
United States

DJI-Amy Posted at 2016-3-13 20:30

The only thing I would caution about hand catching is to have eye protection.  I hand catch ALL of the time - never a problem.  But something could happen.  A gust of wind, the bird deciding to play 'ATTI mode' roulette or whatever.  If you slash up your hand or face, it could hurt, could possibly cause some damage but it's likely to be relatively minor.  Eye lacerations, not so much.
2016-3-14
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

The dude caught the Inspire 1 no problem...it was his stupidity dancing around with it while it was still on that got him into trouble. I just hope no one was injured when he tossed it into the crowd.
2016-3-14
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

never mind

2016-3-14
Use props
Username Here
lvl.3
United States

Cessna172 Posted at 2016-3-14 07:45
Makes no difference.

Someone will try to sue DJI after they hurt themselves....Phantom or Inspire.  ...

"Someone will try to sue DJI after they hurt themselves....Phantom or Inspire.     Lawyers field day......deep pockets."

Ask the gun makers...ammo makers....auto manufacturers....companies who manufacture ladders......and so on and so on how that works out.
2016-3-15
Use props
spiderbot.sb
lvl.4
United States

Flyin&#39;Bryan Posted at 2016-3-14 20:27
Who cares about eye lacerations... When we go blind from hand catching, we will all band together  ...

I agree.  We can take some calculated risks.  Anyone with half a brain can easily hand catch a P3.

It's the unforeseen circumstances that cause accidents, though.  Wind gusts.  Spike in interference.  Chances are low but it can happen.

I hope you have insurance when you get to the emergency room.
2016-3-15
Use props
zzzzzzzuhlast
lvl.1
Flight distance : 135614 ft
Canada

I have read many posts here....yes   I agree there could be problems  in high wind situations, and yes hand catching with a laniard attached to the controller  is safer.
Still am not sure?    I like to use both hands, so i will not drop the radio control....   a hard left input on the yaw control then a hard  decent input on left stick.....and then a little bit of wind in right direction?
All in right combination and you can drop your pants and catch it with your erect penis if you have some practice.      Not sure what to say about those nasty pictures of injuries?     Be careful?
2016-4-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Each to their own. If it bites or bights don't kiss it. ;-)
Anyway, there have been numerous RC related accidents and hand catching can certainly leave its scarred tole.
The First cut is the Deepest!!
If these graphic pictures don't help to convince you, then perhaps Nothing will, so I can only bid you good luck. Ha

RedHotPoker
2016-4-12
Use props
helidan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459951 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I personally wouldn't hand catch unless I really had to.  One glitch, failure, nudge of the controls etc. could easily see a quad to the face and a trip to the emergency room!!  
2016-4-13
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

helidan Posted at 2016-4-13 21:02
I personally wouldn't hand catch unless I really had to.  One glitch, failure, nudge of the controls ...

But if you tried it, you'd find it's nowhere near as frightening as you imagine.
2016-4-13
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

You just have to keep things in perspective.   I've done several factory jobs which were potentially much more dangerous.

Statistically you're probably more likely to seriously injure yourself or die in a car crash.  Although, you're probably more likely to hurt yourself hand catching than winning the national lottery (in the UK at least).
2016-4-13
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules