Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
What do you know about Phantom 4?
12Next >
21278 54 2016-3-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

1.       What are the top ascending/descending/horizontal speeds in P/S/A Mode?

a.       P Mode – 11mph (18kph)/7mph (11kph)/ 22mph (36kph)   

b.       S Mode – 13mph (27kph)/9mph (14.4kph)/45mph (72kph)   

c.       A Mode – 11mph (18kph) 7mph (11kph)/36mph (58kph)

QQ图片20160314190908.jpg

2.       What are the main differences between P, S and A modes?

a.       In P Mode, Forward Obstacle Sensing System, Vision Positioning System, and GPS are activated. Intelligent Flight Modes, ActiveTrack and TapFly are also accessed in this mode.  

b.       In S Mode, the Phantom 4 flies at higher speeds with satellite and Vision Positioning support, but Forward Obstacle Sensing Systems are switched off

c.       In A Mode, Forward Obstacle Sensing Systems, satellite and Vision Positioning systems are switched off. An internal barometer is used to maintain altitude.

QQ图片20160314190913.jpg                                                                                                          

3.       Notes about S Mode:

a.       Sport Mode was created to let flyers experience the thrill of speed. It is best enjoyed by flying FPV. This mode pushes the Phantom 4 to its maximum speed and tilt angle, so vibration may occur in videos captured. P Mode is recommended for video and photography.

b.       Aircraft controls are much more sensitive in S Mode than in P Mode. Pilots should be more cautious when operating in this mode to ensure flight safety. P mode is recommended for indoor flights. If the Vision Positioning System is functioning well, you can take off when indicators are flashing double green.

c.       Due to high aircraft speed in S Mode there are strict quality demands for the propellers, meaning third party propellers are not recommended. Replace propellers if there are any abrasions to avoid accidents.

QQ图片20160314190917.jpg

4.       How do I to enter ActiveTrack Mode?

There are three icons on the left of the camera interface. Click the remote controller icon and four modes will appear: TapFly, ActiveTrack, Normal and Intelligent IOC (equivalent to F Mode on the Phantom 3).

5.       How do I use ActiveTrack Mode?

In ActiveTrack Mode, the aircraft follows a moving person or object. To follow a person, tap them on your smart device screen. The aircraft will automatically put a green box around them. You will see a human icon in the top-left corner of the screen and a GO button on the right. Press Go to begin tracking. If the aircraft is unable to identify the subject, drag a box around them.

6.       What should I be aware of when using ActiveTrack Mode?

a.                               If you want to follow a person but the person icon does not appear when you select them, manually identify them by dragging a box around them.

b.                               The Phantom 4 builds a 3D model of the subject in ActiveTrack Mode to improve following accuracy. To help it learn, fly it around the object before following.

c.                               The subject should be in the middle of the screen when selected to avoid partial recognition.

d.                               The subject should be contrasted with the background to enable recognition. Light levels should be neither too low (at night) nor too high (in a snowfield with bright sunshine).

e.                               The subject should not move too quickly. Gentle acceleration and top speeds below 22mph (36kph) are recommended. If the subject changes size or shape, such as if a person crouches down, the aircraft might lose track.

f.                                The subject should be on the ground. To avoid accidents, do not command your aircraft to follow another aircraft. Rapid altitude changes of the subject should be avoided.

QQ图片20160314190921.jpg                                                                                     

7.  When would ActiveTrack lose track of a subject?

a.                               The subject changes shape such as if a person crouches down or back flips. If the object is still on camera, tracking may resume when the object returns to its original shape.

b.                               The subject enters an environment with a background color similar to the object. Such as if a person in white runs in front of a white wall.

c.                               Ambient lighting changes substantially or there's not enough ambient light. ActiveTrack generally won't work outdoors at night.

d.                               The subject is a person but the aircraft is fails to recognize them as a person (indicated by the lack of a human icon in the top-right corner). Tracking may break when the person moves.

8.       What happens when you use Control Sticks during ActiveTrack?

a.                   Pitch - Changes the distance from the subject.

b.                   Roll - The aircraft flies around the subject.

c.                   Throttle - Altitude changes.

d.                   Orientation –The aircraft does not respond.

9.       What will happen if the subject is lost during ActiveTrack Mode?

If the subject is lost, the aircraft will automatically hover in place. When the subject re-appears or the aircraft recognizes it, the aircraft will resume following. Otherwise, it will hover until the user presses the GO button.  

10.   What assisting functions are available while using Active Track mode?

a.                               Forward Obstacle Avoidance. If the aircraft gets too close to an obstacle, it will brake and hover.  

b.                               Allow Backwards: If Allow Backwards is turned on and the subject moves towards the aircraft, it will fly backward at the speed of the subject. As there is no backward obstacle sensing, ensure that there are no obstacles behind the aircraft when Allow Backwards is switched on. In case of emergency, press the STOP button in the top right corner of the remote controller or the STOP button in DJI GO and the aircraft will hover in place.  

QQ图片20160314191404.jpg

11.   How do I use TapFly Mode?

Place the camera at or below a 25 degree angle then select a point in the distance and press GO. The aircraft will turn to the destination and then fly there in a straight line. You can adjust the speed from 2mph (4kph) to 22mph (36kph) on the right side of the app. The maximum speed is 22mph (36kph) as slower speeds are required to navigate around complex obstacles.

12.   What should I be aware of when using TapFly Mode?

a.                               The point you selected will determine the flight path. If you selected a point in the sky, the aircraft will fly in that direction until it reaches its maximum altitude. If TapFly is not stopped, the aircraft will fly until remote controller signal and video downlink are lost, triggering Return to Home. The pilot can press the STOP button in DJI GO, the Pause button on the remote controller, or switch modes on the remote controller, or pull back fully on the right control stick to stop TapFly.

b.                               If a point selected is on the ground, the aircraft will fly straight to the point and will level off 4.8m above the ground. If another TapFly command to the ground is executed, the aircraft will descend to 0.8m and level off.

c.                               DO NOT use TapFly to fly towards people or animals.

QQ图片20160314190925.jpg

13.   What assisting functions are available while using TapFly?

a.                               Ascend and Pass Around - If a low obstacle (a wall and treetop) is encountered, the aircraft will ascend and then pass around the obstacle. Always check that obstacles in the flight path are not too high.

b.                               Left/Right Obstacle Avoidance – Tap the gear icon in the top right corner of the app to turn on Left/Right Obstacle Avoidance. When turned on, the aircraft will pass obstacles to the left or right. The nose of the aircraft will always point in the direction of the point selected.

c.                               Forward Obstacle Avoidance - Forward Obstacle Avoidance. If the aircraft senses an obstacle it will attempt to navigate around it or brake and hover if the obstacle is too large.  

DJI_location_0431_re-1.jpg

2016-3-14
Use props
wrathofkhan
Banned

Australia

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-3-14
Use props
ArtistFirst
Second Officer
Flight distance : 986716 ft

Awesome write up!  Thanks Tim.

This isn't a complaint but unless I'm crazy, I can't fly near my house anymore out of atti mode.  I live about 3 miles from an airport and I used to just fly around in my backyard but not send it up. Burbank police would land a chopper in my friggen yard if they saw me sending one up.

Now, unlike before, instead of just telling me I'm in a NFZ, it just doesn't start up the motors.  Request to please change that.  We have other things that is on us to be lawful.  I am not even going more than 30-40 feet off the ground in my very large back yard and I was going to have some fun in Sport mode, at least I had planned.

So bummed that I can't fly at my house at all anymore.  The closest plane that comes to near me is many thousands of feet in the air and Burbank airport is tiny and gets like 20 flights a day if that and it's over 3 miles away. Then the other spot near Burbank is a heli-port for the hospital.  I'm running out of places in The Valley to fly now.  Looks like I need to start doing some hiking,

Also, the video tells us to upgrade using the Assistant 2, Does it exist?  Also, my transmitter stopped at 32% but then worked as it upgraded and then when I plugged in my bird, it seemed to not be working and I thought I was in trouble and then magically everything just turned on.  I was recording it for my YouTube channel so I have it all on video and I'm going to post it so maybe someone else can figure out what was going on.  It's a sleek machine!

Very excited for tomorrow!

Thanks for another great write up.  I'm calling Hong Kong.  I am noticing I am getting a lot of likes on my YouTube channel from Hong Kong btw which I think is pretty cool.  
2016-3-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

wrathofkhan Posted at 2016-3-14 19:46
Thank you Dji-Tim, a very interesting and comprehensive explanation which addresses a lot of the new ...

That is not correct, all the current repairs centers will be able to do Phantom 4 repairs and service.
2016-3-14
Use props
alpinekiwi
lvl.3
Flight distance : 54803 ft
France

Question about TapFly: Can I rotate the drone during TapFly as I pass say a building to look at it as I pass?
2016-3-14
Use props
Darrendirl
lvl.3
Flight distance : 822021 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Question about the camera - Is the camera sensor in the main camera the same as the P3 Pro or is it an updated one?
2016-3-14
Use props
denalidan66
lvl.1
Flight distance : 183786 ft
United States

TapFly:  So if I take off at point A and designate Point B which is 4 miles away as my RTH point, then tap a spot in the sky towards Point B, it will fly out of RC range and then continue to Point B which is the RTH spot? Of course, this is assuming sufficient battery and obstacles that can be avoided.
2016-3-14
Use props
cwhobbies
lvl.4

United States

So, does Sport mode use gps hold? What is satellite support, is it gps?

"b.       In S Mode, the Phantom 4 flies at higher speeds with satellite and Vision Positioning support"
2016-3-14
Use props
pgrover516
Banned

United States

2016-3-14
Use props
citivas
lvl.3

United States

denalidan66 Posted at 2016-3-14 18:45
TapFly:  So if I take off at point A and designate Point B which is 4 miles away as my RTH point, th ...

Pretty much.  A DJI blogger pointed out you should be careful to set the maximum distance before using it because it's easy to accidentally set it for the horizon and it will keep going until it reaches the critical battery level.
2016-3-14
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

cwhobbies Posted at 2016-3-15 06:48
So, does Sport mode use gps hold? What is satellite support, is it gps?

"b.       In S Mode, the Ph ...

Correct! Satellite and Vision Positioning support are GPS and VPS
2016-3-14
Use props
mrolrac
lvl.1

Cyprus

Hi...does anyone know the charging time for the P4 battery ? Thanks
2016-3-14
Use props
derek
New

Italy

Hello DJI Tim, I have a P3Pro and was thinking about updating to the new model. Are the Batteries for the P3Pro compatible with the P4?
2016-3-15
Use props
rodger
Captain
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great post Tim. I am sure there will be more in the future and I look forward to them. I received notice yesterday from DJI that my order left yesterday 3/14/16 complete with two spare Batteries and two sets of spare props.  
2016-3-15
Use props
rodger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

wrathofkhan Posted at 2016-3-14 07:46
Thank you Dji-Tim, a very interesting and comprehensive explanation which addresses a lot of the new ...

Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see. There are those that enjoy spreading rumors and self invented stories. What they get out of that I have no idea at all other than they generate posts to gather attention. There are people that do that with the feeling that they are experts and prey on those that are inquisitive and looking to expand their knowledge or really have something that they do not fully understand. It is very unfortunate and childish.

Now, on another note why do you think that you will need service? I have six (6) Phantoms with the seventh on its way and an Inspire and Osmo. I have never needed service on any of them and they get a lot of use as I enjoy flying and photography. My Drones are my release and I think about flying to relax and lower my blood pressure when I am stressed.

Relax and buy your Phantom 4 and enjoy life. You are only here once my friend.
2016-3-15
Use props
tmygun1
First Officer
Flight distance : 2972497 ft
  • >>>
United States

derek@derekshar Posted at 2016-3-15 06:27
Hello DJI Tim, I have a P3Pro and was thinking about updating to the new model. Are the Batteries fo ...

The batteries for the P3 line are NOT compatible at all.

Different size and amperage.
2016-3-15
Use props
tmygun1
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

mrolrac Posted at 2016-3-15 02:17
Hi...does anyone know the charging time for the P4 battery ? Thanks

The manual says approximately 1 hour and 20 minutes.
You can find the manual on the Phantom 4 main page here.
2016-3-15
Use props
derek
New

Italy

tmygun1 Posted at 2016-3-15 14:15
The batteries for the P3 line are NOT compatible at all.

Different size and amperage.

Thanks, I think I will wait awhile before buying this unit. Good sales technique though, getting new buyers to buy all the add-ons that are not compatible with older models.
2016-3-15
Use props
tmygun1
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

derek@derekshar Posted at 2016-3-15 11:19
Thanks, I think I will wait awhile before buying this unit. Good sales technique though, getting n ...

Yeah.....it is a bummer.  
Same thing happened between the Phantom 2 and 3 batteries.

The one nice thing about the Phantom 4 batteries is they are supposed to give you longer flying time.
Good Luck!
2016-3-15
Use props
vip1asbali
New

Saudi Arabia

DJI vision
2016-3-15
Use props
HDdrones
New

Pakistan

DJI vision

http://hddronesforsale.com/
2016-3-15
Use props
WillBapta
lvl.3

United States

Wow, there is a lot going on with the P4. Charge time is impressive too
2016-3-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

WillBapta Posted at 2016-3-16 03:41
Wow, there is a lot going on with the P4. Charge time is impressive too

Also impressive is waiting time between charges. Since the P4 battery cells are spaced with an air gap, the cooling down time if very quick compared to the P3.
2016-3-15
Use props
mrolrac
lvl.1

Cyprus

tmygun1 Posted at 2016-3-15 16:16
The manual says approximately 1 hour and 20 minutes.
You can find the manual on the Phantom 4 main  ...

Thanks, much appreciated.
2016-3-15
Use props
Darrendirl
lvl.3
Flight distance : 822021 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Darrendirl Posted at 2016-3-14 22:19
Question about the camera - Is the camera sensor in the main camera the same as the P3 Pro or is it  ...

I notice that the DJI staff don't post pictures from the drone and don't answer questions related to photo quality. Are you hiding something ?

2016-3-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Darrendirl Posted at 2016-3-16 06:49
I notice that the DJI staff don't post pictures from the drone and don't answer questions related  ...

These are not mine but they are P4 unedited
DJI_0008.jpg
DJI_0013.jpg
DJI_0014.jpg
DJI_0015.jpg
DJI_0017.jpg
2016-3-15
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thank you Tim

This really sounds like a lot of fun... I hope to order one

Rich
2016-3-15
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-16 08:50
These are not mine but they are P4 unedited

That's sharp! I love the 1st photo the most!
2016-3-15
Use props
wrathofkhan
Banned

Australia

2016-3-16
Use props
rodger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

wrathofkhan Posted at 2016-3-16 07:26
rodger, what a strange statement "why do you think you will need service"
Because if a manufactur ...

True, if there is a manufacturing problem the warranty should take care of it. The point that I was trying to make is that some people expect an immediate remedy. Also I was stating that I have never experienced any problems with my Phantoms. I would not deprive myself of the enjoyment of flying a DJI product due to rumors. Neither should you. If you feel that you will be disappointed with the new product and the service you will never be happy and you should head off in another direction.

I think that you will be very happy with the new Phantom and have many enjoyable hours of flying.
2016-3-16
Use props
mrolrac
lvl.1

Cyprus

Hi, Does anybody know the thread size on the P4 (for an ND filter). Thanks.
2016-3-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

mrolrac Posted at 2016-3-17 03:37
Hi, Does anybody know the thread size on the P4 (for an ND filter). Thanks.

I don't know the size, but it's the same as the P3. My DJI and Polar Pro ND filters for my P3 Pro fit the P4.
2016-3-16
Use props
mrolrac
lvl.1

Cyprus

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-17 02:35
I don't know the size, but it's the same as the P3. My DJI and Polar Pro ND filters for my P3 Pro  ...

Thanks...I will track down where to buy P3 ND filters.
2016-3-16
Use props
mrolrac
lvl.1

Cyprus

mrolrac Posted at 2016-3-17 07:39
Thanks...I will track down where to buy P3 ND filters.

Do the ND filters screw in or push-on ?
2016-3-16
Use props
Phantom Knowled
lvl.1
Flight distance : 270728 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-14 11:44
That is not correct, all the current repairs centers will be able to do Phantom 4 repairs and serv ...

Ken, when using TapFly, if you were to tap on some trees in the distance, will it fly to the trees and stop about 50 feet away or how close will it get to the trees?
2016-3-17
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Phantom Knowled Posted at 2016-3-18 07:52
Ken, when using TapFly, if you were to tap on some trees in the distance, will it fly to the trees ...

The distance may vary depending on the speed you set TapFly at. If obstacle avoidance turned on, it will stop and ascend over the tree. If horizontal avoidance is on as well, then it will go around the tree or if there's a sea of trees then it will go above them.
2016-3-17
Use props
jocamero
lvl.1
Flight distance : 577487 ft
United States

ArtistFirst Posted at 2016-3-14 07:41

I can't fly near my house anymore out of atti mode.  I live about 3 miles from an airport and I used to just fly around in my backyard but not send it up. Burbank police would land a chopper in my friggen yard if they saw me sending one up.

Now, unlike before, instead of just telling me I'm in a NFZ, it just doesn't start up the motors.  Request to please change that.  We have other things that is on us to be lawful.  I am not even going more than 30-40 feet off the ground in my very large back yard and I was going to have some fun in Sport mode, at least I had planned.

So bummed that I can't fly at my house at all anymore.  The closest plane that comes to near me is many thousands of feet in the air and Burbank airport is tiny and gets like 20 flights a day if that and it's over 3 miles away. Then the other spot near Burbank is a heli-port for the hospital.  I'm running out of places in The Valley to fly now.  Looks like I need to start doing some hiking,

Were you ever able to get this resolved?  I live a few blocks away from a baseball stadium and DJI imposed a permanent (not temporary) no fly zone.  My understanding is this should be temporary; lasting from an hour before games and an hour afterwards.  I'm in the same position as you while at home; I can't even start the motors and fly indoors!
2016-3-19
Use props
kareemcram
Flight distance : 13842 ft
  • >>>

Thank you for the great write up! But i have a very important question that DJI has not been able to resolve. With the Phantom 3 pro, i was able to turn off vps in p mode so can I get nice and low the surface of the ocean to film surfers. Now, I did manage to get a Phantom 4 but there is no setting to turn off VPS! please help! With VPS turned on the drone ascends and descends very sharply in response to the changing levels of the water surface
2016-3-19
Use props
Mauro Pagliai
Captain
Flight distance : 34753871 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Slow and Fast. I'm just at third flight but I can see the new possibilities

http://forum.dji.com/thread-46232-1-1.html
2016-3-21
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Mauro Pagliai Posted at 2016-3-21 18:49
Slow and Fast. I'm just at third flight but I can see the new possibilities   

http://forum. ...

Yeah, i've seen this one and it's great!
2016-3-21
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules