Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
I keep getting this message Invalid SD Card error!
12603 38 2016-3-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DFWdude4DJI
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1505531 ft
  • >>>
United States

After updating all my firmware on my new P4, I keep getting an error that says Invalid SD Card. When I try to format it, it won't let me and tells me to replace it. This is the same card that came with the P4. So, I popped in a SanDisk Ultra 64gb U 1 micro SD card and it too has the same issue. Any suggestions as to why my P4 isn't recognizing both cards? I have reformatted the card on my mac as Fat32 (MS-Dos Fat) but I keep getting this error. Even when a card isn't in the P4, the Invalid SD Card message is still on my screen. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
2016-3-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

I am sending a message to see if they can answer.
If not, I will ask in the office tomorrow.
2016-3-15
Use props
DFWdude4DJI
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-16 12:40
I am sending a message to see if they can answer.
If not, I will ask in the office tomorrow.

Ok. Thank you. By the way, I forgot to tell you that I may have made a mistake when I was updating the firmware. I did not have an SD card in P4. Although the update was a success, I think I was supposed to keep the SD card in the slot (this is the card that came with the P4). Thanks.
2016-3-15
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

DFWdude4DJI Posted at 2016-3-16 15:57
Ok. Thank you. By the way, I forgot to tell you that I may have made a mistake when I was updating ...

Just for information, you can use the Sandisk Ultra 64GB for something else, it is not fast enough to work in the P4 with 4K video. If you are using Sandisk, then you need a card from the Extreme or Extreme Pro series.
2016-3-15
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

Hi, please try to insert the original sd card and restart the app and aircraft again. If the error still persist, try to format it on your PC into FAT 32 and cluster size 32KB.  The fully tested compatible sd card are Lexar 633X Class 10 16GB microSDHC UHS-I SD card, Panasonic 16GB MicroSDHC UHS-3 SD card, Sandisk Extreme 16GB MicroSDHC UHS-3 SD card. Please try to use one of these sd card to test the SD card slot. The other sd card might have compatibility issue. The sd card should be at least above class 10 or UHS-I. You mentioned that the error is on the screen even ther is no sd card in the slot, right? Have you tried to restart the app and the aircraft? What does the led on the gimbal show? Was it red flash?
2016-3-15
Use props
matthew.walsh
New

United Kingdom

DJI-Amy Posted at 2016-3-16 06:15
Hi, please try to insert the original sd card and restart the app and aircraft again. If the error s ...

I received my Phantom 4 yesterday and I am also getting the same error when the memory card that came with the phantom is in or out of the phantom.  

I also have an DJI Inspire, so I tried using the memory card from the Inspire in the Phantom 4, but I still get the error  - "SD Card error!"

Note I also updated to all the required firmwares.

Any help will be appreciated.
2016-3-16
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

matthew.walsh@l Posted at 2016-3-16 16:19
I received my Phantom 4 yesterday and I am also getting the same error when the memory card that c ...

Could you please provide a screenshot? Thanks. You need to contact the DJI technical support for replacement, the sd card slot on the aircraft might have a hardware problem.
2016-3-16
Use props
matthew.walsh
New

United Kingdom

DJI-Amy Posted at 2016-3-16 08:31
Could you please provide a screenshot? Thanks. You need to contact the DJI technical support for r ...

Hi,  I've attached a screenshot of the SD Card error.  I took this screenshot when there was no memory card in the Phantom.

P4 SD Card Issue

P4 SD Card Issue
2016-3-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

matthew.walsh@l Posted at 2016-3-16 19:09
Hi,  I've attached a screenshot of the SD Card error.  I took this screenshot when there was no me ...

I have tried numerous times to get an invalid SD card message and I cannot.
The only message is the voice saying "SD car error, please replace it" when I install and remove multiple kinds of SD cards.
And with no SD card it says "No SD Card"
They are still looking into it.
Power cycling the aircraft is not helping?
2016-3-16
Use props
DFWdude4DJI
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-16 10:39
I have tried numerous times to get an invalid SD card message and I cannot.
The only message is th ...

Now when you say power cycle the aircraft, I'm assuming you mean to shut it down. Yes. I did shut it down. I even took the battery out and then inserting it back in again thinking that it might make a difference to the power cycling down. But if I'm wrong about power cycling, please let me know the correct way to power cycle down.

I don't know why this is happening. I'm really good at figuring things like this out on my own being that I'm so technically knowledgeable but I'm totally stuck. This is my very first Phantom (I'm coming from a competitor of yours) and I really want this thing to work. I haven't flown it yet either but know that the motors work when I start her up. Keep up the good work with your technical support.
2016-3-16
Use props
DFWdude4DJI
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Amy Posted at 2016-3-16 03:31
Could you please provide a screenshot? Thanks. You need to contact the DJI technical support for r ...

Can't I just take it back to Apple and have them replace it since I purchased it from their store?
2016-3-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

DFWdude4DJI Posted at 2016-3-17 02:03
Can't I just take it back to Apple and have them replace it since I purchased it from their store? ...

I think I may have figured it out.
I tried everything I could to get an error and I could not.
THEN, I stuck the card in upside down almost half way, then tried it and I got the Invalid SD card error.
I verified that it's the card and not the Phantom. Another SD card worked fine, and when I put the SD card into the computer it said it needs formatting then gave errors. So by putting it in upside down probably put some micro scratch on the SD card.
So, could that be what you have done. I ruined a nice 32gb SD card to test every possibility. So I'm hoping that was what the issue was.
2016-3-16
Use props
DFWdude4DJI
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Amy Posted at 2016-3-16 01:15
Hi, please try to insert the original sd card and restart the app and aircraft again. If the error s ...

To answer your questions:  
You mentioned that the error is on the screen even there is no sd card in the slot, right?
Yes, correct. Even when I don't have an SD card in it, the error is still on the screen.

Have you tried to restart the app and the aircraft?
Yes, I've have tried to restart the aircraft and even deleted the app then reinstalled the app. After doing all of that I still have issues.

What does the led on the gimbal show? Was it red flash? I haven't looked at the led on the gimbal yet and will do that when I get home in the next two hours from now.

If I recall, before the update, I do believe the SD slot was working though.
2016-3-16
Use props
DFWdude4DJI
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-16 13:23
THE ...

No, I did not put the card upside down. And if I did, I wouldn't force it.
2016-3-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

DFWdude4DJI Posted at 2016-3-17 02:34
No, I did not put the card upside down. And if I did, I wouldn't force it.

Ok, then I don't know if the above instructions don't work then possibly there is a hardware issue.
You can call 818-235-0789 and tell them the issue and also tell them the card was not installed incorrectly and send it in for repair.
2016-3-16
Use props
DFWdude4DJI
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Hi,  I've attached a screenshot of the SD Card error.  I took this screenshot when there was no me ...

Matt, did you get your issue resolved? We have the exact same issue.
2016-3-16
Use props
DFWdude4DJI
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Update: 03/16/16
Ok, so I contact DJI on the phone, they said that I wasn't the only one who is having this issue and its something in the software app that might be causing this. Tech support said they are fully aware of this issue and to hang on tight for a couple of days so that they can resolve this issue in the app. Why roll out a product when the beta testing hasn't been passed at 100%?

Anyway, to all the DJI technical support people, if you're reading this, please keep your customers up to date on where you're at in resolving this issue. I have 14 days to return this product to Apple and I really want this to work. Thanks.
2016-3-16
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

Hi, When did you get this error? Before or after the upgrade?
2016-3-16
Use props
DFWdude4DJI
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Amy Posted at 2016-3-17 10:24
Hi, When did you get this error? Before or after the upgrade?

After the upgrade. It doesn't matter now. I went back to Apple and exchanged it for a new one and it works now. Thanks. Apple has superb customer support!
2016-3-18
Use props
ybike
New

DFWdude4DJI Posted at 2016-3-18 20:10
After the upgrade. It doesn't matter now. I went back to Apple and exchanged it for a new one and  ...

I have that exact same "Invalid SD Card" message. I'll visit Apple in the morning. Thanks for the post and the replies.
2016-3-22
Use props
heathery
lvl.1
Flight distance : 50157 ft
United States

I am having the same Invalid SD card issue as well on my phantom 4. I am using the lexar micro sd that came with the drone. I have all the lastest firmware installed.

I have also tried to reformat the card from the DJI go app, on my PC using Amy's settings above and using ChiefPilot's method. Nothing works no matter how many times I reboot the P4, Turn off the controller and close the app. Then restart everything.

Returning my drone to Apple is not really an option since I drove over 100 miles each way to just bring it home and have issues from the get go. What the heck DJI? From the comments above this is a known issue and needs to be fixed without having to send a brand new P4 in for repair.
2016-4-1
Use props
heathery
lvl.1
United States

DFWdude4DJI Posted at 2016-3-16 15:52
Update: 03/16/16
Ok, so I contact DJI on the phone, they said that I wasn't the only one who is havi ...

Same issue here. I tried all the fixes in this thread and still same issue. You made a good call to return the P4 to the apple store. It's April 2nd and with all the latest firmware installed I am having the same issue.
2016-4-2
Use props
heathery
lvl.1
United States

Today I tried a brand new high performance sd card and I am getting the same error. The DJI go app also says failed to format when trying to format the card to see if that would fix the error. Now I am super discouraged and upset that I have to spend another half a day driving back to the apple store over 220 miles away round trip to get a P4 that doesn't have issues with the sd card being invalid and having an error. To say the least this is not how I wanted to start my relationship with DJI.
2016-4-2
Use props
Exib
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153760 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I did get this error with write protect turned on, the slide on the side of the sd card.... Turned this off ......fixed
Does this help with your issue
2016-4-2
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Exib Posted at 2016-4-3 17:46
I did get this error with write protect turned on, the slide on the side of the sd card.... Turned t ...

The MicroSD card used in the Phantom does not have a write protect switch, are you talking about the adapter?
2016-4-3
Use props
heathery
lvl.1
United States

To my knowledge micro sd cards don't include write protection switch like regular sd cards. The also isn't a switch on the P4. Now my problem is a non-issue because I made the long trip back to the apple store today. Great customer service on their part and the exchange was super easy. To be sure I didn't have another defective P4 I opened it in a near by parking lot and checked to see if the sd card was recognized. I also tested my 32GB card and the drone recognized both of them. Fingered crossed the P4 will keep working great and make me a happy DJI pilot for years to come.
2016-4-3
Use props
joakim.reinius
lvl.1

Sweden

When formatting an SD card or harddrive with FAT32 you can only make a 4GB file at the most. Maybe the Phantom recognizes that you are going to film in HD and sees that 4GB does not cut it. Instead try and format the SD card with NTFS almost have no limit in file size (6 × 1024^^6 bytes)

Regards
Joakim
2016-8-4
Use props
keithdonan
New

Hong Kong

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-17 02:23
THE ...

Hi Ken,    this has happened twice to me...   i didnt even force the SD Cards in, just tried upside-down accidentally and the cards became unreadable. I'm gutted as I have some amazing footage of Indonesian volcanos that I now cannot read...

Is there any way to repair the SD card?  I've checked for scratches, none. I've even polished the gold contacts...

I feel there may be a design fault with the P4 and mavic that have done this,  are they shorting the card by any chance?   any advice would be hugely appreciated.  thx
2016-11-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

keithdonan Posted at 2016-11-22 23:03
Hi Ken,    this has happened twice to me...   i didnt even force the SD Cards in, just tried upsid ...

I'm sorry that your card may be ruined, you would have to search online if there's a fix. I threw my card in the garbage.
And it's not a design fault if a user installs the SD card upside down.
Maybe it would be easier if it were labeled, which you can easily do by making your own label with a label maker. I already know a couple of people who have done that.
2016-11-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-11-23 03:32
I'm sorry that your card may be ruined, you would have to search online if there's a fix. I threw  ...

Or ... the simplest solution would be ....  don't put a card with valuable images back in a Phantom.
If the footage/stills is so good, why would you want to send it out again and again risking losing it with every flight?

2016-11-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 2016-11-23 06:30
Or ... the simplest solution would be ....  don't put a card with valuable images back in a Phanto ...

That's probably the best idea. And if you cannot download between flights, use a bunch of SD cards and install a new one before every flight.
And that way if there's an overwrite or a loss of aircraft, you still only lose the footage of the last flight.
2016-11-22
Use props
keithdonan
New

Hong Kong

Labroides Posted at 2016-11-23 06:30
Or ... the simplest solution would be ....  don't put a card with valuable images back in a Phanto ...

Well unfortunately the Mavic was my only method of connecting the SD card to my new MacBook Pro, which as you know has no SD slot nor USB A.

It's a design fault Ken because nothing should short circuit or destroy an SD card just from gently attempting to insert an SD card (albeit upside down).

Despite the fact nothing will recognise the SD card as a drive, some software has managed to find some files- I'll keep trying to recover this way or use a professional data repair company. I'm interested to hear how many people have had this issue, I'm now down two 64gb microSD cards due to this design fault, needless to say the footage holds much more value to me...
2016-11-22
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

keithdonan Posted at 2016-11-23 16:30
Well unfortunately the Mavic was my only method of connecting the SD card to my new MacBook Pro, w ...

'Well unfortunately the Mavic was my only method of connecting the SD card to my new MacBook Pro, which as you know has no SD slot nor USB A. '

Then buy a dongle for the Mac that you can mount a SD card. Why anyone would buy one of those overpriced, crippled machines is beyond me. Jobs would be turning in his grave.
2016-11-22
Use props
CHEOLK
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5299 ft
Singapore

I also have this problem.
I took out the original 8gb card from DJI Store.
I use my own 32 gb card, not extreme or higher than class 10. Format it with my Win 10 and reinsert. OK, done.
In the camera app, reformat it. That is all.
good luck
2016-11-23
Use props
keithdonan
New

Hong Kong

CHEOLK Posted at 2016-11-23 21:37
I also have this problem.
I took out the original 8gb card from DJI Store.
I use my own 32 gb card,  ...

thanks Cheolk, so no way to recover the data on the corrupted card?
cheers
2016-11-23
Use props
CHEOLK
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5299 ft
Singapore

try to use your computer to copy the data, if can, then insert the sd card into your camera. Camera may ask you to format.
If so, format with the camera [go GO]. Then take out and use computer to load the data back into the SD card.
Good luck
2016-11-23
Use props
Rockman111
New

Canada

Help...just got the p4p - updated firmware and poof....does not recognize all thrwe of my sd cards
????? What's up with that???
Help please. And yes this is my third bird fom dji I tried everything in the book. And the only card that works is th 16gb it came with?
2017-1-27
Use props
Matt W 88
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Rockman111 Posted at 2017-1-27 18:13
Help...just got the p4p - updated firmware and poof....does not recognize all thrwe of my sd cards
????? What's up with that???
Help please. And yes this is my third bird fom dji I tried everything in the book. And the only card that works is th 16gb it came with?

Hi. I think I'm getting the same issue with my P3S. It will not recognise the 16gb sd card that came with the drone. It worked with my 64gb SD that works in my mavic. I have tried putting the problematic 16gb card ion my mavic and recording a video (that worked), then back into the P3S. This didn't resolve the problem. I still get the message 'Invalid SD card error'. Please can someone help??

Matt
2017-3-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules