Phantom 4 suddenly lost power and fell out of sky...
25048 176 2016-3-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cale262
lvl.3

Canada

Take it back to apple,  you are obviously a stand up guy beyond reproach and they will certainly replace it for you since it''s defective and all...
2016-3-17
Use props
a.peter
lvl.2

United States

Cale262 Posted at 2016-3-18 10:50
Take it back to apple,  you are obviously a stand up guy beyond reproach and they will certainly rep ...

Cale262, tell me what I could of done differently to not make my drone fall from the sky? What did I do to cause this?
Also, I tried to get the Flight Logs from the drone for you guys..

But alas, I couldn't get the Wine Bottler program (allows .exe programs to run on Mac) to run DJI Assistant (no Mac version yet). Guess we'll have to see what DJI is able to pull from the drones flight logs.

Pretty ridiculous that a product that is currently only available at Apple, does not sync data... with Apples.
2016-3-17
Use props
Cale262
lvl.3

Canada

Why are you asking me...go ask Apple or DJI...you already crashed one multiple times and then took it back when the damage was admittedly your own doing but you talked your way into a brand new one....I'm sure you'll be fine with karma at your back. Why are you here wasting everyones time. Don't ask me as I won't waste another word on you as you certainly can't see the forest with all those damn trees in your drones way.
2016-3-17
Use props
tnhwyman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 347697 ft
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-17 19:50
Here am I with no funds to buy a lovely new P4 and here is someone doing everything in his power to  ...

Retired fixed income myself.....a.peter.log showing 50+ mph must be nice I start saving now maybe a P5 will be in my future
2016-3-17
Use props
a.peter
lvl.2

United States

Cale262 Posted at 2016-3-18 11:08
Why are you asking me...go ask Apple or DJI...you already crashed one multiple times and then took i ...

Why am I wasting everyones time? It seems like this thread had interested a few people, if it's wasting your time, then don't let it. Do something else. My second drone didn't hit any trees. It was flying in open air and died without reason, causing severe damage. Again, this could of been a potentially dangerous situation. Thankfully it fell NEAR me and into a tree upon dying.

I'm pointing out a valid issue and defect that others should be aware of.

I've been accused of lying about having a second drone, and not putting the battery in properly. This drone was indeed defective and deserves repair/replacement.

Also, DJI-Ken, you should be ashamed of yourself, being accusatory and not knowing the whole story. Any employee of any company should assume positive intent in customer service scenarios.
I'm not in the business of willingly damaging $1000+ electronics. The P4 is indeed a very expensive item for myself, but something I've wanted for years.
2016-3-17
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

a.peter Posted at 2016-3-18 14:26
Why am I wasting everyones time? It seems like this thread had interested a few people, if it's was ...

"Pretty ridiculous that a product that is currently only available at Apple, does not sync data... with Apples."

It is not available only at Apple, you can buy it at plenty of places, Apple simply got a deal to have advanced stock.

And just a hint, if you want help with this, don't go biting the hand that feeds you. Do you also mouth off at the guy that makes your hamburger? You do know what they put in your hamburger after that?

Ken is well regarded around here and most of us won't see him attacked without defending him.
2016-3-17
Use props
a.peter
lvl.2

United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-18 12:09
"Pretty ridiculous that a product that is currently only available at Apple, does not sync data... ...

No one's being attacked. As a representative of a company, you should never assume negative intent on behalf of a customer, especially without knowing the whole story. If I was in a similar position, I would certainly be having a "talk" with a superior.
Also, no where on the packaging of the P4 does it mention a PC or Mac being a required component. So how are you supposed to properly diagnose a major error if the DJI Go App is insufficient. Just a thought.
2016-3-17
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
Flight distance : 986716 ft

2016-3-17
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4

citivas Posted at 2016-3-18 03:35
Yep, Cali seems to an entirely different company than NJ or NY when it comes to Apple Stores.  I h ...

Hahahaha! That last word summed it up quite well.  You gotta get in the racket there man.  Then they will treat ya nice. ;)
2016-3-17
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

a.peter Posted at 2016-3-18 04:02
Man, you guys are BRUTAL. I think the Phantom 4 is an excellent product and is finally what made me  ...

I am sorry, if you'e legit, I'm back on your side and you sound here like you are.

Yeah, if it clicked, you should have felt safe.

I certainly don't check both sides of my battery before every flight.

One question though.  WHY DO you have pics of the space between the battery?  If you knew about it before you flew and you still did, that wasn't smart bro and you put people in real danger.  I know the desire to fly is great and to be honest that hollow area scares me a little.  You really need to take care of it.

I think you should always store a battery in it to keep it from morphing.  Sorry for having a go at you if  you are truly a victim.
2016-3-17
Use props
a.peter
lvl.2

United States

ArtistFirst Posted at 2016-3-18 12:54
I am sorry, if you'e legit, I'm back on your side and you sound here like you are.

Yeah, if it cl ...

I honestly didn't think the space would be an issue... The drone had power, it flew, it worked. As you can see in my pictures, the top of the battery seemed to be very solidly in place. I'm assuming my drone somehow made it though quality control and this was unnoticed. I'm not sure. I trusted the product and assumed it would be fine. And it was fine... Until it wasn't.

And we still don't know definitively if this is what caused the loss of power, but it seems like it could be.

But yea, my drone is being sent to DJI tomorrow, I'm interested in what they determine. I'm bummed to be without my investment and my drone. Simply one of the downsides of being a very early adopter of a brand new product.

Can't wait to fly again...

Guess I'll just have to stick to C172s for now
2016-3-17
Use props
kirk2579
lvl.4
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

a.peter Posted at 2016-3-17 04:17
Funny that an item that is currently exclusive to Apple, there isn't software that exists for Apple  ...

what is exclusive to apple?
2016-3-17
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

a.peter Posted at 2016-3-18 15:24
No one's being attacked. As a representative of a company, you should never assume negative intent  ...

"Also, no where on the packaging of the P4 does it mention a PC or Mac being a required component. So how are you supposed to properly diagnose a major error if the DJI Go App is insufficient. Just a thought. "

Do you think so? So, after you have shot your material with the camera, you figure you should perhaps insert the SD card into your refrigerator, and download it to the food processor, or perhaps the hair dryer?

It also does not say on the package that a degree of common sense is required to fly the aircraft, but somehow, every day, someone tries to do it. We know this because they come on here afterwards to tell us about it.
2016-3-17
Use props
a.peter
lvl.2

United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-18 13:07
"Also, no where on the packaging of the P4 does it mention a PC or Mac being a required component.  ...

I'm actually able to do all of my importing on my iPad and can import the SD card footage from an adapter into my iPhone or iPad. I do however understand your point, as most people that buy a high end consumer drone probably have a computer. I just don't see how DJI Assistant software isn't compatible with Mac day one. A lot of videographers, photographers use Macs in their personal and business lives, and not being able to analyze a critical error is a bummer. I'm sure the software will be released eventually.
Also no need to be insulting ya little bugga.
2016-3-17
Use props
dji-p3p1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534970 ft
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-18 15:09
"Pretty ridiculous that a product that is currently only available at Apple, does not sync data... ...

Peter don't know if you are right or wrong, (for all I know your circumstances may be completely genuine), and I hope you resolve this issue.

However, it is unusual for a pilot to crash 3 times, break multiple props in such a short time.

Many of us in this forum have had a Phantom for very long without crashing even once (touch wood) - e.g. I've had my P3 for more than 7 months without even a hard landing. (Hope it stays that way).

You say you have been in RC for a while, but the fact that you appeared to have crashed two separate machines in rapid succession leads us to think you really don't know what you are doing. My advise would be to practise on a smaller cheap quad (Look up Hubsan) before getting an expensive one in the air again.

> Ken is well regarded around here and most of us won't see him attacked without defending him.

I agree, and I'm sure others would with Geebax more then 100% with the above statement.
Peter you may not have been on this forum long enough to know that Ken is well respected over a long time to provide knowledge and is patent with critical comments whilst still providing help even under circumstances where pilot error is eventually proven. Please don't address him like he is new to all this.

Eventually you may have to send your P4 to DJI for them to have a look and certainly hope you resolve the issue..
2016-3-17
Use props
a.peter
lvl.2

United States

dji-p3p1 Posted at 2016-3-18 13:14
Peter don't know if you are right or wrong, (for all I know your circumstances may be completely g ...

I did crash one drone, and broke props on that one drone. The drone still worked, minus some damage on the landing gear and cosmetic damage. I exchange this drone. My other drone fell out of the sky without reason.
I've stated multiple times that I'm new to drones. That doesn't make my issue less valid.

I'm sure Ken is good at what he does. I'm not saying he's unknowledgeable or inexperienced. I've already addressed what bothered me with his course of action.

Let me ask you a question.

Have you even been in a situation where you're accused of guilt or responsibility of something, that you whole heartedly know wasn't your fault? The accusing party doesn't have all the details and is simply decided on your guilt even though you are confident in your actions? How did that make you feel?

Has this ever happened to you as a customer of a product?

If not, well good on yea! It's not a comfortable feeling. Especially after spending good money.

What if you bought a car as a 16 year old new driver, and something failed within the car that caused some issue. You take it back to the dealership where you bought it, and both other customers at that dealership AND the salesman are accusing you of causing the issue, simply BECAUSE, it's your first car.

Just a thought.

2016-3-17
Use props
nickmedici
lvl.3
Flight distance : 88287 ft

a.peter Posted at 2016-3-18 13:25
I did crash one drone, and broke props on that one drone. The drone still worked, minus some damage ...

Maybe you wouldn't be accused of you didn't go on forums talking about the first crashed drone you had replaced for free. DJI eats that cost, not Apple. So if you want DJI to replace the second one too even if it wasn't your fault, they shouldn't. You shouldn't have had the first one replaced especially since you admit to crashing it. Be smarter than that.
2016-3-17
Use props
kirk2579
lvl.4
United States

a.peter Posted at 2016-3-17 22:54
Cale262, tell me what I could of done differently to not make my drone fall from the sky? What did  ...

what is only available on or at apple you keep saying that...

why?
2016-3-17
Use props
kirk2579
lvl.4
United States

a.peter Posted at 2016-3-18 00:24
No one's being attacked. As a representative of a company, you should never assume negative intent  ...

research
google
internet
learning to think for oneself.
not be spoonfed

all things I taught my kids before high school
2016-3-17
Use props
kirk2579
lvl.4
United States

a.peter Posted at 2016-3-18 01:25
I did crash one drone, and broke props on that one drone. The drone still worked, minus some damage ...

where is the healthy drones flight log to view

without that it did not happen
2016-3-17
Use props
a.peter
lvl.2

United States

kirk2579@aol.co Posted at 2016-3-18 14:32
where is the healthy drones flight log to view

without that it did not happen

Ummm, I can post photos or video from flying drone that next morning if you'd like? I think my old flight logs were wiped from DIJ Go when I setup my new P4? Does it really matter? If you can tell me how I can try to get those for yea. I didn't start this thread for the sake of the morality of returning a drone I was within my right to return to Apple. I started it because a new drone fell out of the sky for no apparent reason.
2016-3-17
Use props
a.peter
lvl.2

What are you even saying?
2016-3-17
Use props
a.peter
lvl.2

United States

a.peter Posted at 2016-3-18 14:48
What are you even saying?

This community seems to be incapable of the thought of DJI producing a single lemon. It's you like you refuse to even entertain the thought. I understand this is a DJI forum after all. I'll let you all know how things go later on! Happy flying guys.
2016-3-17
Use props
ArcticM39
lvl.2

United States

Interesting read. IMO you should have returned the faulty P4 to Apple, again.
If they so easily replaced the first pilot-erred one, they should replace the second faulty one, no questions asked.
2016-3-17
Use props
a.peter
lvl.2

United States

ArcticM39 Posted at 2016-3-18 14:53
Interesting read. IMO you should have returned the faulty P4 to Apple, again.
If they so easily repl ...

I agree. But I'd feel bad about that, I felt bad about exchanging the first one. It's a DJI product after all, and they should probably be aware of potential defects that might effect other P4s. That's what 1 year warranties are good for right?
2016-3-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

There is a flight SIM in the Go App, please use it for a few days when you get your drone back.
While you await its eventual return, RTFM several times.

RedHotPoker
2016-3-18
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

a.peter Posted at 2016-3-18 18:03
I agree. But I'd feel bad about that, I felt bad about exchanging the first one. It's a DJI produc ...

"That's what 1 year warranties are good for right?"

No, that is not what a warranty is for. It is to replace or repair a defective product when the defect is part of the manufacturing process. Not to provide a new aircraft for a dumb-ass who flew it into a tree due to his own lack of skill.
2016-3-18
Use props
dji-p3p1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534970 ft
Australia

a.peter Posted at 2016-3-18 17:53
This community seems to be incapable of the thought of DJI producing a single lemon. It's you like ...

With an attitude like that, I'd give up on DJI and the Phantom lineup and go find something better, hopefully indestructible.

Wish you Good luck buddy.
2016-3-18
Use props
PartsGuy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 418346 ft
United States

I seems that common sense would tell you that there are only two ways for the P4 to turn off mid-flight. The loss of power or an emergency stop (a csc maneuver). That being said, as I understand you, you want to blame DJI for some mechanical or software issue unrelated to your actions. You are unwilling or unable to recover your flight logs which would help support your complaint. I suggest you delete this thread and post a new thread after DJI has reached a conclusion about this accident, You might disagree with their conclusions but you and the rest of us can debate that when we all have a better idea of what happened. I wish you well.
2016-3-18
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

a.peter Posted at 2016-3-18 15:03
I agree. But I'd feel bad about that, I felt bad about exchanging the first one. It's a DJI produc ...

I'm sorry for everyone blaming you but it's because of the posts you've been making about your inexperience and not taking the time and learn how the aircraft operates.
This is all easily solvable, Download the Assistant2 software and plug the aircraft in and follow the instructions and download the flight data from the aircraft. Then take the DAT file and upload to dropbox and post the link and I will have the flight analyzed to see exactly what happened.
And better yet, upload all the DAT files so they can look at every flight you made to se how the airraft operated in each flight.
2016-3-18
Use props
citivas
lvl.2

United States

nickmedici@bell Posted at 2016-3-18 02:04
Maybe you wouldn't be accused of you didn't go on forums talking about the first crashed drone you ...

Do you know for sure that's DJI's contract with Apple -- that they have to accept the cost of all returns even if Apple does so outside the bounds of their product SLA?  That's not always the case so they would have had to accept that deal point.  I would have thought that if Apple accepted a used, damaged product that was not a result of a manufacturing problem that Apple eats it.  If Best buy accepts a Samsung big screen TV return because someone smashed a hammer into the screen, Samsung doesn't eat that cost.  In this case Apple accepted the return outside of their own SLA with customers -- that store made a customer service choice that many of their stores would not have.
2016-3-18
Use props
Elmer Fudd
lvl.4

United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-17 20:50
Here am I with no funds to buy a lovely new P4 and here is someone doing everything in his power to  ...

Dipstick?      
2016-3-18
Use props
microcyb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

a.peter ok take a deep breath (in slowly, and out slowly), good.
OK now then. If you are able to replace your P4 @ Apple again, please do so we can get this whole drone expience working right for you.

Regardless if yser error or hardware error, many new bird flyers jump way to quickly to begin flying and have the same results you have had.  We all here do a re flight check list just like if you are had an piper or cesna aircraft.  The ones that don't are normally the ones who crash (just reality).    You have to take the time to to insure proper flight such as check everything, check settings, perform a standard hover, gps, compass, etc check, and feelings check in case of crash.

The key is, this forum is really to help give possible solutions to a problem, most here are NOT DJI employees, so to tell you the truth, we can only give you pointers to possible solutions.
So, again.  Take a deep breath, relax.  You you will be flying again, just not as fast as you may want to (unless Apple replaces again).

Now then, Here are a few videos for your Phantom.

Safety Tips - Top 10 Common Pilot Errors

DJI Tutorials - Remote Controller Antenna Best Practices

Phantom 4 Tutorials - How to Link the Phantom 4 with Its Remote Controller

How to setup your DJI Phantom 4

What not to do when flying

2016-3-18
Use props
Elmer Fudd
lvl.4

United States

a.peter Posted at 2016-3-17 22:32
I am not in ANY WAY responsible for the drone falling from the sky. Other's will probably have this  ...

What did you tell apple when you asked them for a replacement? What was your excuse to them? Pilot error?
2016-3-18
Use props
a.peter
lvl.2

United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-18 17:01
"That's what 1 year warranties are good for right?"

No, that is not what a warranty is for. It is ...

I didn't fly it into a tree. Did you read? It lost power at 200 feet AGL. We don't have any trees of that height in this area. Thankfully, after it lost all lights and power, it fell INTO a tree, otherwise it woulda been even more damaged.
2016-3-18
Use props
a.peter
lvl.2

United States

dji-p3p1 Posted at 2016-3-18 19:11
With an attitude like that, I'd give up on DJI and the Phantom lineup and go find something better, ...

Huh? Did you read what happened with this drone? I didn't crash it. Reading comprehension mate.
2016-3-18
Use props
a.peter
lvl.2

United States

PartsGuy Posted at 2016-3-18 21:46
I seems that common sense would tell you that there are only two ways for the P4 to turn off mid-fli ...

Did you read the earlier thread? I tried to get the DAT file. They don't make the DJI assistant software for mac yet, so my friend let me borrow his PC, we installed the Assistant software, the PC recognized my drone as a phantom 4, we installed drivers, and when went to the flight log section, it just refreshed endlessly.

Believe me, I want the logs more than anyone. I'd love someone on here to analyze them if I could. But DJI will figure out what happened as I'm sending it to them.
2016-3-18
Use props
a.peter
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-18 22:05
I'm sorry for everyone blaming you but it's because of the posts you've been making about your inex ...

Ken, did you read the the thread earlier? I was trying to do all of this with DJI-Amy. It wasn't working. Even on my friends PC. Just refreshed endlessly. The drone is going back to DJI and I'm hoping you guys can get the logs. I'm very curious.
2016-3-18
Use props
Ulysse
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1389931 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

DJI Assistant for Mac is now available...
2016-3-18
Use props
a.peter
lvl.2

United States

Ulysse Posted at 2016-3-19 01:01
DJI Assistant for Mac is now available...

Ah, look at that. Just came out today. My P4 is already on its way back to DJI for inspection.
2016-3-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules