Phantom 4 suddenly lost power and fell out of sky...
25077 170 2016-3-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Thacyoon
lvl.2

Norway

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-18 21:31
What is your ticket number?

Ok, after the various previously posts by Mr. a.peter, I do not find this story by Mr. a.peter to be credible. My thrust in DJI and the tech is restored, especially after testing my own P4 for the first time today. Just wanted to say this...since I posted previously in this thread my worries.
2016-3-18
Use props
a.peter
lvl.2

United States

My RMA? I don't wanna share that in a public forum. You should be able to get it from my flight log and username, no?
2016-3-18
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

You  more than likely had  PILOT ERROR , Or NOOB SYNDROME   (over confident , not checking) You got your Mulligan when apple took back you're other aircraft for Pilot Error.  If you lost all power suddenly like you are saying the pack was perhaps NOT  fully engaged, It happens.  

Also a new flyer in SPORT MODE is asking for trouble.  The people at DJI will figure it out and you will be amazed what they can find out with the data they collect.  If it happens the way you say then maybe they will help you out.  But I have never heard of one Just dropping from the sky with total power failure.

By the way did you tell the folks at the Apple Store that Pilot Error caused your First Incident ?

-donnie
2016-3-18
Use props
a.peter
lvl.2

United States

I did. I said I damaged it. But yep, it lost full power. I posted pic earlier of what the battery in my drone looked like.
2016-3-18
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

Thacyoon Posted at 2016-3-17 02:04
Wow, that is scary, sorry man. I will get my P4 today, but I am not sure if I will have the guts to  ...

Play it smart and do not go in Sport Mode Until you have at lest a Month of Use Under your Belt.These are awesome machines , treat them with respect and you will be fine.

All the best to you and yours- donnie
2016-3-18
Use props
Thacyoon
lvl.2

Norway

Donnie Posted at 2016-3-18 21:43
Play it smart and do not go in Sport Mode Until you have at lest a Month of Use Under your Belt.Th ...

Yes Sir, I agree. I have a P3A, but am kinda new to drones. Been flying model aircrafts for a long time. Tried my P4 for the first time today, including sport mode, and WOW what a machine! I will repect the P4, the tech. But, man, what a super machine! I am blown away with the agility and speed in S mode. S mode is for mature adults
2016-3-18
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

a.peter Posted at 2016-3-18 16:42
I did. I said I damaged it. But yep, it lost full power. I posted pic earlier of what the battery in ...

A. Peter is a very, very big fibber, shame on you a. Peter is you middle name little?
2016-3-18
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

* Grabs Popcorn

Are we still on this one?  This is reminding me of the Gun on drones demand thread now.

Peter, while you wait for your bird back, please take the time and watch some great videos on you tube for DJI tutorial, Tom's Tech Time, etc.
Remember, they are not a full autonomous drones with integrated A.I.

That is reserved for version P 5.
2016-3-18
Use props
nickmedici
lvl.3
Flight distance : 88287 ft

citivas Posted at 2016-3-18 22:07
Do you know for sure that's DJI's contract with Apple -- that they have to accept the cost of all  ...

Well best buy would never accept a broken tv screen as a result of a person smashing it with a hammer. Apple could always claim it was shipped to them like that when the customer open the box, they returned it. Easy as that.
2016-3-18
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

a.peter Posted at 2016-3-18 15:42
I did. I said I damaged it. But yep, it lost full power. I posted pic earlier of what the battery in ...

A. peter I saw the picture,  Did you notice the Gap on the first one like that?  I dont  own a P4 But I know My Inspire 1 battery fits like a glove.  And My Phantom Pro that I did own had a perfect fit.  The only reason I say that you may not have clicked your battery all the way in is because I did that once, I thought It clicked tight but it was not.  Just as I took off I received a battery warning and landed immediately, you may not have been so lucky.  I do not know exactly what happened to your aircraft, I feel bad when anyone looses an aircraft.  DJI will figure it out and if you have a legitimate  complaint than  I am sure they will help you .  Keep in mind that Forum members have caught many fibbers on here (Not saying You)  and when your whole story was not complete (At that time)  it added suspicion.  Just wait for the log and I hope things work out for you. In the future please start slow ,and do not fly over populated areas , and stay out of Sport Mode for a long time.

Good Luck- donnie
2016-3-18
Use props
a.peter
lvl.2

United States

I understand the caution of Sport mode, but sport mode did not cause my drone to crash. I appreciate all of the advice. Yes, my first drone's battery fit much better. I didn't get any battery warnings, or any warning of any sort until it suddenly dropped. I look forward to DJIs investigation and what they determine the failure was.
2016-3-18
Use props
a.peter
lvl.2

United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2016-3-18 13:48
A. Peter is a very, very big fibber, shame on you a. Peter is you middle name little?

Will you eat your shoe when it's been determined I'm not fibbing and my drone failed by its own doing?
2016-3-18
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

a.peter Posted at 2016-3-18 17:24
Will you eat your shoe when it's been determined I'm not fibbing and my drone failed by its own doi ...

I will eat both my size 13 steel toe boots if you can prove your mat fibbing.
2016-3-18
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI now sells a special warranty for folks who don't want to take the time and trouble to learn all the ropes.
That's the exact reason they came up with that....extended warranty.

Anyone familiar with Phantoms - or drones in general - understands how critical the battery connections are. I use DeOxit regularly on the contacts and make 100% certain that the battery is seated perfectly. It doesn't matter that the drone would boot up and fly if it was not - that's not the point!

Some of this I would - if true - blame on DJI for saying that the P4 is the first drone that (almost) anyone can fly. This is not a true statement...it's easy for DJI or those of us familiar with these model to think they are easy to fly, but they are not. The software and all the various hardware is complex and requires a person to be educated. It's not enough to just watch a couple videos.

Sure, anyone can fly. But can they land in one piece.

The strange thing is - many of us have had years of flights with various models of Phantoms with no crashes of this sort. Yet - for some reason - the ones that fall out of the sky are often owned by those who didn't take months or years to fully learn the technology involved....

I'm not claiming there are never hardware or software defects. Just that the odds favor the prepared and educated. Newbies should buy the extra insurance and take many hours to fully train themselves (or find someone to train them) and therefore skew the odds in their favor.
2016-3-28
Use props
t.lynch7
lvl.2
Flight distance : 479951 ft
United States

Update?
2016-3-28
Use props
artDragoon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3615768 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wow...this was a rough read...lol. While I don't know anyone here...I'm not completely blind to issues that DJI has in some of their products...as with any other companies products. Thats why they release updates. These updates arent just....additions or upgrades...they are fixes as well. So to flat blast a guy...especially when none of use were there...is a bit silly. He could really have had pilot error...or it could have ended as he said it did. I don't know...and neither do any of you guys.

I have had my fair share of issues with my own drones...the phantom 2 v+...and now the inspire pro. never crashed any of them. Love them...but hate them at the same time for some of the bugs that pop up as they update things. I have 5 batteries...flown less than 10 to 15 flights...and now 2 wont hold a charge. At 200 a pop...thats unacceptable. I was charged and ready to go for a project today and that alone killed off 30 minutes of flight time i needed. I cant even get the camera at times to focus properly to infinity in manual mode. Some days it will...some days it wont. Pilot error? No. I know what Im doing. I have been doing photography for several years now with DSLR's. Its not my first time. I have read till I was about to pass out on how to correct the issue...NOT from DJI...but from many many others who have the same issue. My app also sees my inspire pro as a phantom 3 when the camera isn't attached. It used to never see it that way when I bring it out of travel mode via the app. Now it does. Pilot error? lol...no. I have been told my transmitter is at fault...but the likelihood of both transmitters doing the same thing...not likely. Then it was thought that my android device was the culprit....but it happens on both my galaxy note 4 and Nvidia shield tablet with lollipop and Marshmallow. Not likely the devices. The likely culprit is the app. So the fix? I'm told to use the controller to get it out of travel mode. Thats not a fix...thats a bandaid. Why is it still seen as a Phantom 3? The App or their firmware updates are at fault.

The point is...The guys post may be legit. Give him some slack at least and let DJI check it out. If it happened as he said it did...and I was in his shoes..I would be a bit miffed as well.

And as for you DJI-Ken...shame on you. It is unprofessional as a customer service rep to side with anyone but the customer while providing service. If you have an opinion...a forum is not the place for it. Agreeing with anyone else comments in regards to disbelief is not part of your job nor is it in line with how you should represent DJI. All it does is represent them poorly and shows DJI for a lack of customer care. I have done CSR jobs most of my life and I know what I'm talking about. DJI-Amy handled it exactly how a CSR should...opinions were excluded and her aim was to help. Belittling the client in anyway...even if you agreed with someone else and their disbelief/criticism was not professional.
2016-3-30
Use props
mal6514
lvl.2

United States

Just gonna be another case of FELL OUT THE SKY FIXED OR REPAIRED UNDER WARRANTY no clue why or what happened . But your bird will be fixed. Or they will blame it on pilot error.   Swept under the rug
2016-3-30
Use props
a.peter
lvl.2

mal6514 Posted at 2016-3-31 10:52
Just gonna be another case of FELL OUT THE SKY FIXED OR REPAIRED UNDER WARRANTY no clue why or what  ...

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... &mobile=2#pid361705 I knew it'd be a matter of time until someone else had this same issue as me.

Thanks artdragoon for your post. As someone that works in customer service/sales, you can see DJI-Ken's behavior was very unprofessional and reactionary. I am a customer with a brand new product. Even if I was in the wrong, that is an example of the WORST way to be an embassador of a company. But from my experience, DJI probably doesn't hold their reps to any high standard of professionalism.

In terms of an update, my P4 has been with DJI for over 2 weeks and their customer service is... Unresponsive and hard to get any updates from. I've been told for a week that a "flight analyst" will look at the drone and ill get word back via email within 24-48 hours. I was told this over a week ago.

The Phantom 4 is a fantastic product however, and I plan on hopefully having many hours of enjoyment and lots of awesome footage. I just want a product that I can depend on.

2016-3-30
Use props
jdnorup
New

Australia

Hi everyone, I only ended up on this forum because I am looking at purchasing the Phantom 4 or an Inspire.  I am shocked on how this has been handled by a so called DJI representative.  It has definitely made me put my order on hold.  I have also emailed DJI with a direct link to this post, to see if they condone and support DJI-Ken's response, and to publicly apologize for his actions, and only then DJI will restore my faith. I am sure their stupid remarks will cost them thousands in lost revenue.

Pull your socks up DJI

After sales service is looking very poor atm.

Just to clarify, by no means I am saying it wasn't pilot error, but for people to turn around and blame that it is, is foolish and appalling that DJI treats their customers the way they have.
I really wanted to purchase another drone, but I am waiting for the outcome on this one.
2016-3-31
Use props
dacofty
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1061345 ft
  • >>>
United States

a.peter Posted at 2016-3-31 01:07
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... &mobile=2#pid361705 I knew it'd be a matter of time until some ...

I kind think you should have downloaded all logs and kept quiet before sending it in,  Im sure DJI knows all about this thread and even if it was a product failure there is no way they will admit it,  so good luck and dont hold out hope for a good response.  Altho not sure why it takes well over a week when most guys on here can give you an answer in a few hours.
2016-3-31
Use props
Bennyboy1983
lvl.3
Flight distance : 141089 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I've just read this cover to cover!, this is definitely worthy of a episode on JEZZZZZZA. Ha
2016-3-31
Use props
4StateFlyer
lvl.2

United States

dacofty Posted at 2016-3-31 11:21
I kind think you should have downloaded all logs and kept quiet before sending it in,  Im sure DJI ...

It would be interesting to see log files.  They have not been posted that is kinda the missing key at lease for us watching thread.

I think OP is holding record of destroying 2 already.   Pretty impressive not kill 2 with being so new.
2016-3-31
Use props
dacofty
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1061345 ft
  • >>>
United States

4StateFlyer Posted at 2016-3-31 17:11
It would be interesting to see log files.  They have not been posted that is kinda the missing key ...

Yea destroying a P4 would be a knock against him, but i still would like to see the files.
2016-4-1
Use props
Wsomer1234
New

If you pulled both sticks back t the same time, the motor quit... Be careful...
2016-4-1
Use props
a.peter
lvl.2

Wsomer1234 Posted at 2016-4-2 03:00

That doesn't turn off the lights of the drone etc and kill the power.
2016-4-1
Use props
Jbundy63
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9583182 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-17 23:59
This is your words from another crash of your new P4.

Hey, bought my first drone ever. A phantom 4. ...

WOW That's just crazy!!!
2016-4-1
Use props
a.peter
lvl.2

United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2016-3-19 05:56
I will eat both my size 13 steel toe boots if you can prove your mat fibbing.

I hope you have a strong stomach. I am expecting a linked video of you eating your steel toed boots.

Finally received my drone back.

REPAIRED FOR FREE UNDER WARRANTY DUE TO DEFECT!

There you go forum trolls. We had fun didn't we? You all being unhelpful, insulting and naive.

Thanks DJI Amy for trying to help early on. DJI Ken, thanks for being unhelpful and I hope you learned a lesson. You only made the situation worse and more aggravating.

The flight analyst team was supposed to email me with results of what they discovered in the P4's internal flight logs, they never did. I randomly received an email with a FedEx ship # that my drone was on it's way back home. Happy to have it back.

Keep your eyes open for more P4's experiencing same issue. Sure it'll happen some more.
2016-4-2
Use props
a.peter
lvl.2

United States

a.peter Posted at 2016-4-2 16:43
I hope you have a strong stomach. I am expecting a linked video of you eating your steel toed boots ...

there still is the tiniest space on the underside of battery which bothers me a little bit. I'll post a pic later
2016-4-2
Use props
classic2003
lvl.2
Flight distance : 632769 ft
Canada

Yes, call dji support. They will watch the video and tell you the reason of the crash and hopefully they will replace your drone
2016-4-2
Use props
a.peter
lvl.2

United States

So yea, got the drone back. Took 2 new photos and just wanted your guys' opinion on the battery spacing as I'm a bit paranoid now. I'm very lucky my drone fell out of the sky so close to me. I doubt DJI would of given me a new drone had it fallen out of the sky in an area where I couldn't recover it, such as over water etc. How does it look? DJI says they flight tested it of course.

2016-4-3
Use props
scott.wilson
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1621759 ft
United Kingdom

a.peter Posted at 2016-3-17 09:12
Ok, so I managed to get the flight log txt file through iTunes and uploaded it to phantomhelp.com

h ...

I had a look ... some thoughts hope these help .. the more detailed logs from the phantom will tell more.

This was a new battery ?... were you taking it easy during first 10 flights (ie only run them to 50% or 10 mins) and dont push them too hard (speed=current) for first 10 flights

there looks from your log like a lot of cell deviations on that batt

Also you switched from GPS to atti then to mode 31 (is that sport or were you running a third party nav tool like autopilot or litchi) - scratch that mode 31 is sport.

sometimes when you have a new cell (that may harbor problems) thats why taking it
easy, close, low and slow until 10 flights of 50% capacity each proves the cell to be sturdy. Ive had the
best qual lipos over the uears from time to time you can get one that just collapses.

2016-5-1
Use props
scott.wilson
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-17 16:59
This is your words from another crash of your new P4.

Hey, bought my first drone ever. A phantom 4. ...

<error buzzer sound>

sport mode + crash inside + crash outside + low hours + thrashing new pack <> "being very cautious"

im 50, have flown IC and Lecy models for decades and my first phantom 4 flight was in a huge field in idiot mode. Once we got the feel of it of course, straight into sports mode for a few seconds.

Luckilly it was a tree you hit, this is 3kg of mass @ 44mph = a lot of feet pounds of damage please keep in lower modes until you get used to it.
2016-5-1
Use props
projeffrey11
lvl.2

United States

Morph1 Posted at 2016-3-17 12:37
Just imagine this battery falling on someones head from a height of 200 ft ,
there would be  serio ...

That would probably be a certain fatality God for bid.
2016-5-1
Use props
projeffrey11
lvl.2

United States

I live in the United States America and around here  you're innocent until proven guilty let's give him the  benefit of the doubt flight logs please & thank you.
2016-5-1
Use props
projeffrey11
lvl.2

United States

a.peter Posted at 2016-3-17 19:29
Cool, let me finally address the conspiracy theorists now that I'm home.

I had a P4, I cosmetically ...

Great supporting evidence thank you for sharing.
2016-5-1
Use props
projeffrey11
lvl.2

United States

Wsomer1234 Posted at 2016-4-1 12:00

What??? On the P4?!
2016-5-1
Use props
scott.wilson
lvl.1
United Kingdom

a.peter Posted at 2016-3-18 07:53
This community seems to be incapable of the thought of DJI producing a single lemon. It's you like ...

always a pleasure
good luck with drone 3
2016-5-2
Use props
jaraxle1zx
lvl.1

United States

Love this place!

Drone falls or crashes due to hardware/firmware.  Dji members of this forum instantly brand the person a liar and tell them it's their own fault for "flying the drone"
Drone doesn't power on. Forum members again call out liar and basically tell the person it's their fault for trying to fly the drone they bought.

A good forum member will use tactics such as name calling, insulting a person's intelligence and personal character.
As a last retort, it seems telling the op he/she is to stupid to fly a drone and should never even think about buying one ever again.

Makes me wonder..........does Dji have a lot of employees as forum members here? Or is it the mentality that my drone is working fine and I should flame all who have a problem?

My P4 flys just fine and I don't get how unhelpful people on this forum can be.
2016-5-2
Use props
Mr.buGSy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 820712 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Wow what a story. This was a lesson for everyone. I'm happy you got your bird fixed. Be careful in the future and fly safe.

Cheers,
buGSy
Software engineer/hacker part time pilot.
2016-5-2
Use props
ahroberts2435
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2749357 ft
United States

Mr.buGSy Posted at 2016-5-3 04:46
Wow what a story. This was a lesson for everyone. I'm happy you got your bird fixed. Be careful in t ...

My P4 did the same thing last week. The motors just stopped and it fell out of the sky from 60ft. My battery was low so I did a RTH. When it reached 60ft it just died midair and landed hard breaking the shell and gimbal. I assumed the battery had died in flight but when I finally made it over to the drone the battery was still on with 1 bar solid and 2nd bar blinking but the P4 had no power.
Pilot error maybe? I have no clue what happened.

2016-5-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules